Question of the Day, July 30, 2010

Patton662

Apr 4, 2010
The first 3 with emphasis on Crappy characterization. I hate cardboard cut-out characters, especially the badass macho man type (think Dead to Right). I like my characters to be more or less human. Good story is also very important, I have nothing against linear gameplay if the story is done really well and isn't filled with retcons and plotholes the size of BP oil spill (I'm looking at you Modern Warfare 2).
Last but not least great dialogues are a vital part of the above two.

xXAsherahXx

Apr 8, 2010
Plotholes are fine, I'm there to play, but when there's bad dialogue that I have to sit through, that's just video game hell for me.

BrailleOperatic

Jul 7, 2010
Dialogue. Hands down. Once you get the dialogue right, everything else falls into place.

However, even perfect writing is can be ruined by bad voice acting--as anyway who's played Musashi: Samurai Legend can attest--but the quality of the voice acting is hardly the writer's responsibility.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
"All of the above" would be the most appropriate answer. But if I had to choose between them, I would say that plotholes get on my nerves the most. Bad dialogue, poor characterisation, confusing instructions...all these stem from inexperience and I can forgive them since they can be improved upon.

Plotholes, however, are a sign that the game developer either didn't do proper research or they didn't pay attention to the logical consistency of the plot (or both). Either way, it's a sign of laziness on the part of the game developer and shows that the plot of the game was constructed haphazardly. That is an insult both to the game itself and the gamer who is playing it. Unfortunately, however, they are an all too common occurence in the entertainment industry and the developers will sometimes intentionally cause them in order to shift the plot into the direction they desire or that is the most popular trend at a given time. Worst of all, fans have become all too tolerant of this.

Herb sewell

Mar 30, 2009
I was going to put awful dialogue but without it I never would have learned the phrase "master of unlocking".

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
I went with poor characterization. It's a necessity in WRPG since your main character is only a "pen and paper". Your companions needs to be great if you're going to enjoy the ride.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Please, no holes in the storyline people! Gamers aren't dumb, they will and do notice when something just doesn't make sense!

KiKiweaky

Aug 29, 2008
My other please specify is: just how fucking prdeictable some of the storylines are, which yes awful dialoge does play a part in. But a predictable more importantly bad story will just make you go 'AAHHHHHHH'

May 21, 2009
I hate it when your character says something that just really dumb or completely of track. but most of all its when your playing an rpg and you have to chose which dialogue option and none of the options are any good.

Rutskarn

Feb 20, 2010
When it tells me to do something that doesn't make sense, because that makes me feel like a jackass for doing it.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
I would say that poor instructions followed closely by too much information. I would rather know what I'm doing in a game than be lost about what I'm supposed to do. Even something as simple as where the objective is, if not laid out properly, can make what would have been an enjoyable experience frustrating, especially if there's a time limit! Another problem I have seen is the game will lead you to try something over and over, until frustration makes me head towards gamefaqs only to realize that the "directions" or "hints" or whatever it may be were not up to snuff.

As for TMI, it gets ridiculous when a game starts on and on about something that quickly dissolves your interest. That alone makes me think twice about games like Metal Gear Solid 4, especially since I play games to actually PLAY them.

paragon1

Dec 8, 2008
They're all pretty god awful. Plot holes take the cake though. It's hard for me to want to play a game when what's going on could easily have been avoided, doesn't make any sense, or is just stupid.