Question of the Day, July 8, 2010

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
On the Escapist Forums? Of course, I've done it a couple times already.

On most other sites, probably not.

A Raging Emo

Apr 14, 2009
It depends entirely on the forum. I'd be fine using my real name here, on Forums I know an trust, but say, the Bungie Forums, or GameFAQs, or Blizzard? No way.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Chimaera said:
or providing reasonable alternatives for those people who cannot feel any type of comfortable using their real name online.
Well, there is a reasonable alternative (and one I'm betting that Blizzard hopes many people take) - don't post on those forums. Unless, of course, the whole internet changes over ... interestingly enough, The Times and Sunday Times are doing the same thing [http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/may/25/times-sunday-times-websites-paywall], as far as I can tell:

The principle is to encourage comment under real names," he said. A colleague added that the Times and Sunday Times would only consider allowing users to post anonymously if they had a real reason to protect their identity.
It may very well be the beginning of a shift in how the mainstream internet operates.

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
The Cheezy One said:
my name is
Matthew David Wensley
I am British, and live in Newcastle upon Tyne
none of that information can be used against me
Quick searchings

16, living in Killingworth, Catholic, recently baptised, one of your mates

You wanted to get your hair cut short like andy clemmenson from short stack, you went to George Stephenson High School where you are pictured in Year 8 with the High Maths Students Year 8 with Jade Redhead, your family traces back to 1645 in Yorkshire...and that's from a quick search. Scared yet?
the second one isnt me
anyway, if i was scared of people finding out who i was, i wouldnt have made a page devoted to myself on both myspace and facebook
how did you know the yorkshire one? i didnt know that. i was hoping that wensley was a curroption of wellesley, and im related to the duke of wellington

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
I've used my real name in forums for years. Perhaps because I've been on stage or on camera or writing for the public since I was a teenager, but it's never phased me to have my name "out there."

Plus, as far as I'm concerned, if you aren't comfortable attaching your name to what you say and do, then you probably shouldn't be saying or doing those things.

The Cheezy One

Dec 13, 2008
Russ Pitts said:
I've used my real name in forums for years. Perhaps because I've been on stage or on camera or writing for the public since I was a teenager, but it's never phased me to have my name "out there."

Plus, as far as I'm concerned, if you aren't comfortable attaching your name to what you say and do, then you probably shouldn't be saying or doing those things.
did you used to have a promising acting career? it might have been you voicing james in fallout 3 instead of liam neeson

Feb 13, 2008
The Cheezy One said:
the second one isnt me
That would be Ant.
how did you know the yorkshire one? i didnt know that
Like I said, that's just using Google. Now I can also use a reverse phone directory to get your house, Googlemaps to get what your house looks like, and that's before I start making things up...given I have access to your photo and one of your classmates, I could easily shop that to look compromising.

People will always say that "If you haven't done anything wrong, you've nothing to worry about"; but "doing things wrong" differs from person to person, and if someone develops a grudge against you...there's enough information out there to make your life hell.

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
No no no. I get enough Facebook spam friend requests as is. Plus, my name is fairly uncommon.

I have no problem with non-spammers knowing my name; it's just the inevitability of the wrong people finding it that irks me.

Epitome

Jul 17, 2009
Russ Pitts said:

Easy to say but like I was saying ewarlier take the "Religeon and Politics" forum here? A great place to go for spirited debate, but I dont employers profiling me. Its hard enough to get a job without them knowing I hold an opposing viewpoint than them. I know it shouldnt count against me but it would, or take my country Ireland where recently major fraud in teh Leaving Cert examinations was uncovered by anon whistleblowers on a popular forum in teh country. You think they would have grassed up their classmates if they had to use real names?

Vierran

None here.
Oct 11, 2009
This poll is ridiculously limited, i don't have that much a problem with posting real names so long as i have the choice to do so and if i choose not to, that i will not have features taken away from me such as the ability to post on the said forums.

I think personally that it is the wrong way to approach it, blizzard gives an incentive to have RealID friends in game such as being able to contact them cross game and cross server whilst not taking any ability to chat to people that you already had if you choose not to, but when it comes to the forums you have no choice unless you want to loose the ability to post on the the forums if you choose not to use your real name.

Personally i would prefer not to post my real name for some personal reasons.

MikailCaboose

Jun 16, 2009
I'll give my FIRST name. Anything more though is too much IMO.
If you don't know it, there's probably no reason for you to know it.
If you do know it, then why would I need to broadcast it?

The Cheezy One

Dec 13, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
The Cheezy One said:
the second one isnt me
That would be Ant.
how did you know the yorkshire one? i didnt know that
Like I said, that's just using Google. Now I can also use a reverse phone directory to get your house, Googlemaps to get what your house looks like, and that's before I start making things up...given I have access to your photo and one of your classmates, I could easily shop that to look compromising.

People will always say that "If you haven't done anything wrong, you've nothing to worry about"; but "doing things wrong" differs from person to person, and if someone develops a grudge against you...there's enough information out there to make your life hell.
actually i have no idea who that guy in the picture is. i know a couple ants, but not him
and i only recently turned 18, and i dont own the house im living in, so i wont be in a directory
anyway, all of that stuff could be gained from any social networking site. unless someone here actually had a grudge against me, im ok. same for anyone on WoW, unless they take it seriously- ah. its pretty important then

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
Yes, I would. There are several "Julian Kiefer"'s out there. There even used to be a website juliankiefer.de.

Ravek

Aug 6, 2009
I don't mind if people on the internet know my real name. But I want to restrict the things people get to see when they do a web search for my real name.

The Escapist is a site where I indulge myself in discussions about one of my favorite hobbies. I try to be civil and reasonable here, but occasionally lose myself a bit in the informality of it all. That's okay, but not something I want advertised to anyone who knows my name and has access to internet.

HuCast

Aug 18, 2006
Why should I? When I walk around in RL and talk to ppl. in shops, streets I dont wear a nametag either.

Feb 13, 2008
The Cheezy One said:
actually i have no idea who that guy in the picture is. i know a couple ants, but not him
Fair enough, I was only trying for a quick skim.
and i only recently turned 18, and i dont own the house im living in, so i wont be in a directory
You'd be surprised. Try and Google yourself sometime and see what you come up with.
anyway, all of that stuff could be gained from any social networking site. unless someone here actually had a grudge against me, im ok. same for anyone on WoW, unless they take it seriously- ah. its pretty important then
Oh yeah.
For a test, try and find out your mum's maiden name, the name of your first pet and the town you were born in. That's 3 of the usual secret questions that means someone can get into your bank account.
Hand your card to a guy at a Chip/Pin payment? That's the Security Code/PIN and Expiry Date gone.
Not signed your credit card? They damage the chip and your money's gone.

And you're giving this information away for free to type on a forum.

David_G

Aug 25, 2009
Yes, here. But posting with your name on a place like /b/ is a suicide wish.

Ed.

Jan 14, 2010
I'm happy to use it but I go by Ed on most sites as that is what people call me normaly