Question of the Day, July 8, 2010

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
I have used my real name online before. Funnily enough it leads to a lot of identity confusion due my name being pretty common and other people being called it or knowing someone else with the same name. If this sort of thing is required then I would probably adopt a fake but plausible sounding name or just not bother really.

I'm not an authoritarian person and am repulsed by any effort to make people declare their "real" identity, as if a name or number was who you really are. People have lots of perfectly valid reasons for going by another name. Maybe they are trying to have some time that they can keep away from a paranoid and abusive spouse. Maybe they are plagued by bullies at school and want to enjoy a fantasy game with strangers without being beaten up for being that fag who plays a night elf chick in a faggy role playing game.

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
The Cheezy One said:
actually i have no idea who that guy in the picture is. i know a couple ants, but not him
Fair enough, I was only trying for a quick skim.
and i only recently turned 18, and i dont own the house im living in, so i wont be in a directory
You'd be surprised. Try and Google yourself sometime and see what you come up with.
anyway, all of that stuff could be gained from any social networking site. unless someone here actually had a grudge against me, im ok. same for anyone on WoW, unless they take it seriously- ah. its pretty important then
Oh yeah.
For a test, try and find out your mum's maiden name, the name of your first pet and the town you were born in. That's 3 of the usual secret questions that means someone can get into your bank account.
Hand your card to a guy at a Chip/Pin payment? That's the Security Code/PIN and Expiry Date gone.
Not signed your credit card? They damage the chip and your money's gone.

And you're giving this information away for free to type on a forum.
i only ever pay by withdrawing cash from a hole in the wall, and i always check for a card catcher first.
but your right, it is remarkably easy to get this info, but unless someone has a grudge against me, and most that do already know where i live, i shouldnt end up with a brick through the window from saying my name on the internet
i have heard/read people on runescape talking-in open conversations- about where they live, their age, pets, family. idiots.
also, did you see the first episode of that new drama series identity about identity fraud? its good, i advise you give it a look. and keeley hawes is hot, but for some reason she only ever looks like a classy prostitute, if you know what i mean. lots of make-up, tight clothes, etc.

Feb 13, 2008
The Cheezy One said:
also, did you see the first episode of that new drama series identity about identity fraud? its good, i advise you give it a look.
I'm sort of avoiding English TV after that whole Sex Education thing came out. Brrrrrrrr.
and keeley hawes is hot, but for some reason she only ever looks like a classy prostitute, if you know what i mean. lots of make-up, tight clothes, etc.
Ho yus. Why they got rid of Kelly Brook from the Big Breakfast is beyond me, easiest way to get me watching something rubbish. ;)

lolmynamewastaken

Jun 9, 2009
My name is really pretty common so i don't really have any objections to it being used, but i just don't use it as i see no point...
and its normally taken anyway ¬¬

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Nope, there is no way. The more privacy I have the more comfortable I am, even if it's a tiny bit more then I prefer it.

superpope89

Jul 1, 2008
I too have been blessed/cursed with an extremely common name. I personally know at least 20 people with the same name and if you were to yell it in a crowd several people would answer. So to avoid confusion I just go by Lunchbox in real life.

TraceyS

Jan 2, 2010
I'm not sure it was a well formed question. I don't think it's a good idea to use real names on game specific forums where you could inadvertently piss someone off just by playing the game as designed. There's too many people who can't seem to be unable take things personally.

hamster mk 4

Apr 29, 2008
If I contribute anything meaningful like the ZP Game, I would want it attributed to my real name. The only reason I signed up here as "hamster mk 4" was that is the name I play multiplayer games under, and I wanted forum goers to recognize me in an online context.

I can sympathies with girls not wanting to be recognized as girls, or famous people wanting to get away from their fame. There has to be a way to spoof the system, there always is. For me, I am trying to build up my name and possibly get it recognized by a hiring manager so I want it attached to anything I contribute.

Feystar

Jun 19, 2010
Hard one to call really, on the one hand I'm quite happy to stand by anything I write in forums and dislike the way that the anonymity of a screen name gets abused by flamers and the trolls.

But on the other hand there are the scary people out there who will intentionally go hunting for your personal details for whatever nefarious plans they can think of.

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
I only don't use it because of what my first name is. I would attract alot of idiots quickly. So for the sake of putting something up: Charles Jacobs (my middle name)

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
If I'd want my real name to be displayed publicly, I'd use my goddamn real name as my forum handle.
Online handles exist for a reason.

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
I see no reason why I shouldn't. I'm not really putting myself at risk by revealing my name, and I doubt I'm much of a target for any of the perceivable threats out on the web. But "Ben Cassidy" doesn't sound as cool as "Captain Pancake".

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
Yeah I think its not a bad Idea...

So what if your real name is revealed... more than likely your using a user name to hide your real name so you are not recognised but chances are you user name is the same for all the sites your part of and your username is therefore more recognisable than your actual name.
A major fear most people would have with revealing their name is that through the power of the internet, people can figure out as much as possible about you with just your name... but the truth is they don't even need your real name. Most people drop little bits and pieces of info about themselves around this forum... For example, you probably know where someone who you never met lives due to coversation on this site, you may know alot about this person but they won't give out their real name, yet you already know where they live and what they do everyday. A name really isn't all that important...

I'm really tired and I can't remember what I started off talking about in this post... and it doesnt make much sense now that I look over it...
But I don't care if anyone knows my name...
Its just another random piece of information about me swirling round the net.

Its Henry in case you were wondering

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
Yeah I would. I don't think knowing your name gives away any power. Now if they asked for my phone or credit card number, that's when I get nervous. It's not like they can steal my identity through only knowing my name.

I've Googled my name just now and found nothing about me. Although since I don't use facebook, myspace etc there is no infomation about me to find. If you don't want people to find out so much about you, don't post it on your facebook account. Here's a good example why. You know those password reset questions you do like "What is your mothers maiden name" or "What's your pets name". You can find the answer to a lot of these sorts of questions on your accounts.

Apr 29, 2010
Well, seeing as how my real name is in my profile, that kinda defeats the purpose of me refusing to reveal my name in the forums.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Epitome said:
Russ Pitts said:
I've used my real name in forums for years. Perhaps because I've been on stage or on camera or writing for the public since I was a teenager, but it's never phased me to have my name "out there."

Plus, as far as I'm concerned, if you aren't comfortable attaching your name to what you say and do, then you probably shouldn't be saying or doing those things.
Easy to say but like I was saying ewarlier take the "Religeon and Politics" forum here? A great place to go for spirited debate, but I dont employers profiling me. Its hard enough to get a job without them knowing I hold an opposing viewpoint than them. I know it shouldnt count against me but it would, or take my country Ireland where recently major fraud in teh Leaving Cert examinations was uncovered by anon whistleblowers on a popular forum in teh country. You think they would have grassed up their classmates if they had to use real names?
It's not actually easy to say. Easy to say and not mean, perhaps, but putting your actual name on everything you post on the internet is not easy. It's hard as hell. I know it. That's why most people don't do it. Yet it's also why the internet is full of people acting like complete assholes. It's possible these folks are also assholes IRL, but a lot of them just hold it in and let it go on the net, where they can get away with it because they're anonymous. For some people this is part of the charm of the internet, which I understand. I don't personally agree with that way of thinking, and so I back up my point of view by putting my money where my mouth is and posting everything I post under my own name.