Question of the Day, July 8, 2010

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
I'm fine with SAYING my name (Alasdair), but...

1. Nicknames are cooler
2. Good Nicknames are memorable
3. More unique
4. Fits in better with the crowd (who also use funny quasi-statements/puns/gibberish)

wickes666

Jun 26, 2010
the anonymity given by the usernames help the conversation take a much more balanced, and neutral tone. the only way to achieve a pure conversation, empty of all prejudice is when all members of the conversation know as little as possible about the others

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
Patton662 said:
Depends on the forum really, but majority of the people I meet on the internet will ever meet me in real life so meh. I wouldn't give other info such as where I live etc.
Oh and my name is Patryk Florczak, I'm Polish :]
The Polish, Czech, Hungarians, Croats and other East Europeans-but-not-Russia always get the best names...
Got a Polish-descended chap around here with last name Osowski
Osowski is pronounced o-WOW-skee...that's so cool

soapyshooter

That Guy
Jan 19, 2010
I cant vote..the hell?

Anyhoo.. I don't see why that would be a bad idea. As long as its just a first name. I really don't want thousands of people knowing my name. ID theft starts at that.

Rylot

May 14, 2010
Since it's Chris Taylor, yeah I don't mind. Best of luck finding me.

ItsAPaul

Mar 4, 2009
The Escapist isn't as bad as Blizzard since I don't even want the people I regularly raid with to know my identity, much less those who frequent the forums. Still, I'd quit posting for sure if you guys pulled this.

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
It'd depend on the environment, but definitely not a place like Blizzard. A bad encounter with another WoW player could lead to some creepy stalker-esq. type stuff.

Not to mention, unique usernames are just fun to have.

Patton662

Apr 4, 2010
GrinningManiac said:
Patton662 said:
Depends on the forum really, but majority of the people I meet on the internet will ever meet me in real life so meh. I wouldn't give other info such as where I live etc.
Oh and my name is Patryk Florczak, I'm Polish :]
The Polish, Czech, Hungarians, Croats and other East Europeans-but-not-Russia always get the best names...
Got a Polish-descended chap around here with last name Osowski
Osowski is pronounced o-WOW-skee...that's so cool
Yeah that one's pretty cool, mine not so much though since it's pronounced floor-chuck.

Asturiel

the God of Pants
Nov 24, 2009
No, unless it was a forum of about >20, I would like to keep my identity hidden.

Frankydee

Mar 25, 2009
don't see why not. My military email address is under my full name (which I didn't have the option otherwise) so it's not anything particularly new.

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
I don't have face book or twitter only accounts on games an this sight so people can't use it to virtually bully me I also have a very common name so they couldn't track me if they are a creep or something

Eliam_Dar

Nov 25, 2009
No, though I may understand the motives I do not support this, the free flow of ideas would stop if we had to use our own names. Additionally "Eliam" is the name I choose for myself, I don't see why I have to give it up.

Djinni

Mar 29, 2010
I only replied "yes" because I predict that this is the direction the entire internet will eventually go. All the people who said they would never use their real name will end up doing it because everyone will require it except extreme or shady sites.

As someone else already pointed out, there are a number of journalistic sites that already require using your real name to preserve the integrity of their sites. So Blizzard is by no means the first.

And how will they enforce using your real name? One way is that they must have your real name for billing purposes if you use a credit card to pay for your game subscription. If you don't use a credit card I don't know how they will enforce it. Perhaps they won't allow you to post to the forums unless you have a verifiable account name (use a credit card).

But what it comes down to is that none of this is a violation of anyone's rights or illegal. It is voluntary to post anything to any part of the internet. If you don't want to follow their rules, don't post.