Question of the Day, July 8, 2010

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
I use my real name of my account already, but if the Escapist wanted each of my posts to be tagged "Logan Nicks" instead of "2012 wont happen" I would be fine with that.

Calderon0311

May 9, 2009
WrongSprite said:
Yeah sure, I really don't care. Dafydd Miller. There. Have it.

Although there's probably less people with my name than most >_>
http://www.formspring.me/wrongsprite
are you the only --- in the village?
Well Matthew, Bewdley is technically a town.
It may not affect you right now, but someday someone is going to use this against you. Even if that isn't you. I'm all for giving out my real name in social sites that I have selected to tie into my life, (weather dating or networking) but when a ->game<- developer is trying to tie my real life to my player's persona... without any alternatives...

This is why RealID is a problem. Right now it's just a forum, but intent never stands still, and sooner or later, it will affect everything. A right to privacy and the control of how we share our information is what's at stake here. It doesn't look like much, but the term "erosion of privacy" is exactly what we're experiencing.

Mar 16, 2009
I try to act reasonable, however I wouldn't want to be associated with every single thing I say on the Internet. I like the anonymity of most forums.
Also, remember when a guy hunted down a Counter Strike gamer to shoot/stab him or whatever? The Escapist posted this article a few weeks ago. The way the world works is everything is perfect until just a few select people ruin it for everybody. Well those few people will grow in number, and cause a lot more harm.

Calderon0311

May 9, 2009
I guess I should add, No.

Granted, I use my last name and a nick first name for most locations, but it's a habit since I was a l33t h4x k1d of the Internets. To me, what I share and where I share it is important. For sites like Facebook and Escapest, I can share more here then I would at a guild/clan forum or in a game.

And as I've expressive before about a #chan out there. I do visit it for good reasons to add to the civil conversations whenever they appear. Unforantly, some of those conversations are not what I would share in a setting like this. Either I have to know you face-to-face in a club of like-minded individuals, or I need a mask online to share with you. The funny thing to is that the way I'm being completely vague about the subject makes it look illicit or illegal, when it's nothing more then just an adult preference thing.

Randomologist

Aug 6, 2008
I'd just use a pseudonym, my name is fairly unusual. Ditto, I'd say that I was from a neighbouring area instead of my real one.

Just make stuff up. Who's going to know?

Unia

Jan 15, 2010
I honestly doubt anyone would bother tracking me by my name (not that there's much to be found).

It's more a matter of having a name with special letters some forums don't even recognize. So people would be frequently asking

a) How the feck do you pronounce that

b) So...are you male or female?

Which can be tiresome.

f3Z

Apr 4, 2010
I don't really mind, as tracing me by my real name would be pointless. Really helps when you are from a third world country :p

Epitome

Jul 17, 2009
Everybody seems worried or not worried about people tracking them down in the forums. Is nobody worried about tracking your online personas from your real name? I dont want to google my name and get here?

Zepren

The Funnyman
Sep 2, 2009
I hate my real surname so no. Also thinks about it. How many John Smiths are there gonna be? You won't be able to distinguish between people.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
Calderon0311 said:
WrongSprite said:
Yeah sure, I really don't care. Dafydd Miller. There. Have it.

Although there's probably less people with my name than most >_>
http://www.formspring.me/wrongsprite
are you the only --- in the village?
Well Matthew, Bewdley is technically a town.
It may not affect you right now, but someday someone is going to use this against you. Even if that isn't you. I'm all for giving out my real name in social sites that I have selected to tie into my life, (weather dating or networking) but when a ->game<- developer is trying to tie my real life to my player's persona... without any alternatives...

This is why RealID is a problem. Right now it's just a forum, but intent never stands still, and sooner or later, it will affect everything. A right to privacy and the control of how we share our information is what's at stake here. It doesn't look like much, but the term "erosion of privacy" is exactly what we're experiencing.
I don't particularly care. Stalkers tend to go after the pretty girls, not the ugly blokes.

As for details to get my money...I have plenty of...defenses against that. Plus there's £0.17 in my bank. I'm not having nightmares about losing all my money.

TerraRising

Jun 7, 2008
Privacy and anonymity on the internet is a crucial thing that needs to be maintained.

For example, if my WoW character is the victim of a griefer and I go to complain to the WoW forums using my real name, that griefer now has enough ammo to grief me in real life. If you have a name, you have potential access to their facebook or myspace and can get even more personal info and do some emotional harm. (I have had this happen to people close to me).

No, requiring posters to use their real names to post on the internet is a BAD idea.

CarlosYenrac

Nov 20, 2007
I use my real name in an official capacity only. Outside of business dealings, only my mother ever uses it- even my own brother calls me by a pseudonym. I would NEVER give my real name to a public forum (yeah in case you haven't guessed yet I'm not really Carlos Yenrac but it will do) and i only gave it to Blizzard because it was on the credit card I used to sign up to WoW with. I will be very disappointed to have my access to the forums cut off, but if that's what has to happen for me to keep my privacy, so be it.

thejoshualee

Mar 12, 2009
Josh Huntsman
Cedar City, Utah, United States
SS: ha! just kidding.

security is an illusion as is the majority of concerns about lack of security.

shadow741

Oct 28, 2009
Maybe my first name but not my last, actually, scratch that, my last names more common than my first.

AceMcBadass

Jan 1, 2010
lolnever. i used to /b/ and i know what i could do to people with just a little info. Giving me a name almost isn't any fun its so easy. never post personal info anywhere.