Question of the Day, June 30, 2010

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I would love to have the opportuinity to do so. If I could ever get into a group

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Well, I consider Neverwinter Nights a tabletop game virtualized. So I guess - yes, lots of times.

90% of it was D&D, once on a Warhammer server.

karhell

May 10, 2010
I used to DM for D&D 3.5; I'd even gone so far as to create my own world with its own history and what I thought mere some clever twists... never took the campaign really far, though, and completely stopped when I realized it was actually pretty lame...

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
I think it would be too much work for me to actually do it, so no.

Kajt

Feb 20, 2009
No, I have not. It sounds interesting though and I'd like to give it a try.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
I've GM'd a campaign in D20 Modern.
I did not enjoy it, it was a huge pain considering I only had a previous campaign under my belt. My main problem was having a wide range of players spanning from those who knew the universe much more than me and complete newbies. It ended up being a disaster because the experienced players kept trying to cheat their way out of puzzles/events and the newbie players never took any bait for quests. Though there was one hilarious moment where a ninja was clutching an shape shifted druid eagle with one hand, a demon blade in another, while riding the druid's panther companion....all on fire.

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
Yes, I ran a few campaigns back in high school, and was also part of a few as well. I've wanted to get back into D&D (3.5, not 4.0) but I can't find anyone who either wants to start a new one, or who wants to add another player.

Jhereg42

Apr 11, 2008
I've GMed many, many times. Still love it to this day.

There is a sense of satisfaction when you managed to get that "got ya" look on your players faces because you managed to totally shock them with a twist.

tenny20ca

Sep 18, 2008
I've both Played and DM'ed. At 27 it's hard to get everyone in the group to set aside a night a week to play. Kids, house repairs, wives all eat into DnD nights.

Mar 30, 2010
Yes, I've GM'd quite a bit over the years but I prefer being a PC (where's that option in the poll?). Generally we have another GM for our group, but every once in a while he'll want a break from GMing and I'll take up the reigns for a campaign or two - last year I picked up his Star Wars campaign for three months, and now we've started AD&D again he's already stated the he wants me to run a side-campaign from roughly level 10 to level 13/14, just to change the pace of the sessions and keep the narrative fresh. But overall I prefer creating and developing characters as opposed to plot and storyline.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
I've been running games and campaigns since 1989. I've run solo campaigns for one, up to 19 people group mash- ups- took about an hour to resolve each round of combat. It's been D&D, Rifts, AD&D, AD&D second edition, AD&D third edition, AD&D fourth edition, and Pathfinder. Some of the characters are over 20 years old, and still active in the game. Most of my players have GMed spin- off games and campaigns, and co- GMing when necessary.

The best part of it is, is that we're still playing- the membership has changed, but the game goes on.

My avatar, for today, is one of my personal favourite characters.

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
No. My friends don't trust me with the responsibility, which is a smart move on their behalf.

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
Eleuthera said:
Where's the "yes, once or twice" option. I'd hardly call my scarce attempts "many times".
I second this motion. I've done it twice, failed in my eyes, and am starting again this weekend.

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
I've GM'd tabletop for most of my gaming career and prefer it to electronic gaming. I don't get as much a chance to tabletop, unfortunately; that's the price you pay for getting older.

I've also written scenarios and articles for tabletop, some of which have been published (CoC, Ars Mag) and some of which I hope will be published soon (Trail, CoC). Put it this way: of the several things I have out on the hooks right now, it's highly likely that an RPG article will be the first to get published.

Mind, I haven't played DnD (in whatever format it may be these days) for years and years, though it was my first RPG.