Question of the Day, June 30, 2010

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Technically none of the answers fit me. "Yes, a couple of times" would be a better option. Or even, "Yes I tried it but was an awful GM" would work.

Billion Backs

Apr 20, 2010
Hurr Durr Derp said:
36% of all people in the poll have been a GM? Yeah, right.

Relatively few people even play tabletop games to begin with, the average gaming group is made of more than 3 people, and GM is usually the least popular role to play (often even below "the guy who gets the snacks and drinks"). I honestly do not believe that, even on a forum filled with geeks of all kinds, over one third of all people is a regular GM.
Percentages are bullshit. Out of, I assume, at least a thousand of geeks with accounts here, having some 200 (even less then that right now) people claim to be regular GMs doesn't sound all that unlikely.

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
Been running a weekly D&D game for the last year and half and have run a couple sessions of other games.

afforon

Feb 23, 2010
I have been running a bunch of different games for my friends for a while. Unfortunately, none of the games have ever made all the way through, mostly due to lack of interest from my friends. Take that how you will

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
So far, I've DMed D&D 3.5 (Vanilla and Iron Kingdoms), D&D 4.0 (Vanilla), New World of Darkness (Vampire, Werewolf, Mage, Changeling and Hunter), Warhammer Roleplay, Paranoia and a homebrew Iron Kingdoms.

Iron Kingdoms is still the best setting I've ever ran, but sadly noone else has the balls to run a game of it so I can play because I can still quote facts and figures about it off the top of my head :(

I've loved every second of DMing I've ever done, from the joky games where everyone gets their missions from a shifty looking halfling that insists on meeting them in a Tavern at ten in the morning to deadly serious World of Emo-crap (which I ran precisely ONCE before I got everyone to roll up werewolves and ran a game based on hunting spirit monsters in the Gauntlet :p)

EDIT - Also, Inquisitor and another homebrew based on Vor : The Maelstrom.

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
Yes i did. I initiated lot of my friends to tabletop RPG in my time, but must say i dont like being a GM...

Halceon

Jan 31, 2009
I've done my fair share, though i tend to give the large names a wide berth. I have had several moderately successful adventure sets in Dungeons and Discourse and a horrible failure in Dragon Warriors. In fact, i'm currently maping out a new campaign for 2 seperate faculties in DnDis.

Karlaxx

Oct 26, 2009
I have not, we leave that to the guy that owns the books- but I would try given the chance.

ZephrC

Free Cascadia!
Mar 9, 2010
Whoever is responsible for the poll options we keep getting clearly sucks at their job. I find polls generally have an option I can honestly select less than half the time. This is stupid.

I tried being a GM a couple times years and years ago, and failed miserably at it. I wouldn't mind trying it again, I've learned enough in the intervening years that I would certainly be better. Probably not good, especially considering how out of practice I am at role-playing in general, but maybe with a bit of practice I could be okay. That won't happen though, because I don't know anybody willing to try roleplaying games anymore.

Coldman42

Nov 17, 2009
I'm currently DMing a DnD 4E campaign that I'm making up for some people at my local hobby store. It really is a lot of fun for me. I've found out that I'm a better game maker then a player it seems.

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
Nope. Never. Although I recon I'd be up to it if I tried.
Only ever played D&D once, and we all decided to break the game and our DM said it was the most fun campaign he'd ever run. :)

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
I've never done it but when we finish the campaign we're currently on I'll see about doing it myself for the next one.

The Arc of Eden

Jun 7, 2010
I've played a knock off D&D game that my friends and I made up. It was actually really fun when you make your own rules and abilities.

I've also played an "introductory" game of Battle Tech. It was awesome, Halfway through he destroyed one of my legs so I was shooting at him like a wounded animal. Then just as he was about to finish me, I get a critical on his cockpit and kill his character while mine ejected to safety. I laughed in his face.

I couldn't be a DM or anything like that. Not enough focus. I like to immerse myself in the story, not tell it.

Simriel

The Count of Monte Cristo
Dec 22, 2008
I am far too much a player. I am always looking for creative ways to deal with situations, and I just enjoy playing a single character.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
I said yes, which is funny because I was TERRIBLE!

So, while I was a GM, I was simply an awful one.