Question of the Day, March 9, 2010

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Question of the Day, March 9, 2010

Final Fantasy XIII hits shelves today. FFVII is a fan favorite, but how do you feel about some of the other titles in the series?

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
the card game is about the only part of the FF series i like, so 8.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
8. My favorite overall, too. I loved the junction system, and the way you could heavily customize characters ability lists. My favorite system since FF5's amazing job system.

And the card game. That amazing card game.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
From the given list would need to be 7...however overall is 5

MentalBakura

Welcome To Das Oontz
Feb 21, 2009
No IX? Disappointed. Oh well, I voted VIII out of those. I don't care much for games outwith the main series, X-2 never happened, and XII was alright, but just doesn't compare to earlier entries in the series.

Lambi

Yuki-Onna
Oct 20, 2009
FF IX. I like everything about it, the characters, the story, the environment, the music, etc.
Even Quina is bareable when you have everything else to distract you from him/her.

MNRA

Jun 8, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
8. My favorite overall, too. I loved the junction system, and the way you could heavily customize characters ability lists. My favorite system since FF5's amazing job system.

And the card game. That amazing card game.
I feel trolled.... :)

MentalBakura said:
No IX? Disappointed. Oh well, I voted VIII out of those. I don't care much for games outwith the main series, X-2 never happened, and XII was alright, but just doesn't compare to earlier entries in the series.
I think the point of this question was to make us choose between the "lesser" FF games.

Lambi said:
FF IX. I like everything about it, the characters, the story, the environment, the music, etc.
Even Quina is bareable when you have everything else to distract you from him/her.
Too bad FFIX wasn't a choice then :p

Layz92

May 4, 2009
Of the ones listed I would say 8. However if the one with Figaro family and the espers were there I would pick that.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
Tough choice between CC and XII but XII pulled through for its epic story and good gameplay overshadow the multiplayer fun of CC

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
Out of those? XII, because X-2 was stupid, VIII's story was tripping on acid and I didn't play the others. My favourite by far is IX; it just did everything right for me. I love it.

Lambi

Yuki-Onna
Oct 20, 2009
MNRA said:
Lambi said:
It's still my favorite FF.

But if we can only say the ones listed, FF XII. But only really because it's the first FF game I played.

DoctorNick

Oct 31, 2007
Very limited voting options here.

I haven't actually played any of those, but I've come 'closest' to playing VIII when I watched a friend playing it for a little while.

So by default that wins.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
VIII

it was my first JRPG

oh, i remember the FUN i had with that

and it appealed to my "gather random crap" instincts, you had the magazines,the GF´s, the matterials some (and i do mean some) monsters dropped and the trading card game!

i loved trying to get all the rules in one area, just to see how challenging it could get hehe

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Of those, my favorite is XII, and even that I didn't like all that much. Final Fantasy doesn't really do it for me.

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
Lambi said:
MNRA said:
Lambi said:
It's still my favorite FF.

But if we can only say the ones listed, FF XII. But only really because it's the first FF game I played.
FFIX was clever in that it was a tribute to the fans who had been around since the beggining. most of the items (rats tail etc.) were key items in earlier versions while still being a great game for the newcomers. heck they even reference VII and VIII ("Nor Cloud nor Squall will stop me")

OT:
VIII had some great ideas and was well executed but XII was the first (except possibly XI but I didnt play it) to really break from the formula of random ecounters in a set environment and started exploring other ways of running the combat. OK so you could set your gambits leave the game in a certain area running for a week and come back with everything you needed to win (Gambits were soooo broken) but it gets the Kudos for that

also it was a homage to star wars IV thru VI with one of the best 'leading men' the series has ever had (not vaan btw)

XII FTW