Question of the Day, May 1, 2010

TOGSolid

Jul 15, 2008
Darkstar370 said:
The guy may be stupid, but he will never reach the stupidity levels of the morons from NMA [http://www.somethingawful.com/d/weekend-web/fallout-scarleteen-armenianclub.php].
No argument there. I only know about that picture cause of a friend that goes to NMA to get Fallout 3 mod information, otherwise I stay the hell away from NMA.

Echo136

Feb 22, 2010
TOGSolid said:
Echo136 said:
Charcharo said:
I only played Fallout 3, so I can not really vote.

* EDIT *

Wait... why do so many people vote for fallout 3 if they haven't even tried 1 or 2. I mean I have only played 3 and voted that I am waiting for New Vegas only because im neutral, but voting for the only one you played sounds kinda unfair...
You're voting on what your favorite is, not which one you think is best. Theres a difference.
How can you say which one is your favorite without having played the others? You can't pick a favorite when you haven't even played the other ones.
Okay, if thats the way you wanna look at it, whats your favorite Final Fantasy game? Have you played all of them, including the ones that werent originally released to the US, the MMO Final Fantasy 11, and the spinoffs like Final Fantasy Tactics (PS1), Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (Gameboy Advance) and Final Fantasy Adventure for the gameboy? Not to mention the remakes of the earlier games made for the DS. Theres at LEAST 20 Final Fantasy games in the franchise. Your saying I cant say which was my favorite until I play every single one of them?

Yog Sothoth

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2008
RhomCo said:
Yog Sothoth said:
Why isn't Fallout Tactics on the list? I know a lot of the fans didn't really care for it, but I loved it... Cruising around in the Humvee, blowing the crap out of anything that got near it... Good times!
Poor Tactics... It had so much potential and yet, considering how it came to be, it is hardly surprising that it died of neglect.

Instead of having BIS put out a Fallout 3, Interplay had them slaving away at another D&D project... Interplay then made the genius move of contracting a developer to make a 3D tactical game despite the developer never having done anything of the sort AND having them work on a shortened development cycle. Add to this the JOY of Interplay not supplying the dev (MicroForte) with any prior art (which explains THAT little annoyance).

So, when it hit the shelves, it was essentially shovelware by a novice developer... and thrown out to a fan-base that was already hostile to it because it wasn't Fallout 3. It was also a buggy piece of shit that not even the voice acting of R Lee Ermey could save.

Of course, there was a cycle of patches that started fixing shit... but InterPlay lost interest in the whole deal and abandoned official support after a few patches. MicroForte (or at least some of it's staff) kept working on releasing patches to the game until the final patch which included the map editor, after which it was announced that due to the levels of hostility coming from the fanbase despite the patching project continuing after official support stopped they would rather spend time with their families than keep working their arses off and only get abuse for their efforts no more patches would be forthcoming.

So FOT went from bug ridden shovelware to flawed gem but was tragically slain by self-entitled pricks before it could attain the potential of a classic, worthy of standing next to the previous Fallout Titles.
Wow, good answer! I guess my tolerance for buggy games must have been a lot higher back when Fallout Tactics was released. Either that or my nostalgia goggles are clouding my view, because I really don't remember it being that bad...

Serenegoose

Faerie girl in hiding
Mar 17, 2009
Fallout 1 was my favourite. I digged fallout 3, but I preferred the overall feel of 1. I was so bad at fallout 2 that I couldn't enjoy it at all, and the amount of 'you answer a conversation wrong and the WHOLE TOWN turns on you' is an example of bad (not fun) game design. Fallout 3 was close to being one of the most beautiful games I've ever played which is a huge point in favour against F01, unfortunately bad design elements kept it from that spot. (the green hue bugged the hell out of me) I also didn't like how combat played out - playing real time felt like a bad FPS, and VATS tried to take refuge in audacity but it came across as feeling a bit stilted and the constant 'you shoot a guy with a BB gun and he EXPLODES' felt silly in a bad way.

TOGSolid

Jul 15, 2008
Echo136 said:
TOGSolid said:
Echo136 said:
Charcharo said:
I only played Fallout 3, so I can not really vote.

* EDIT *

Wait... why do so many people vote for fallout 3 if they haven't even tried 1 or 2. I mean I have only played 3 and voted that I am waiting for New Vegas only because im neutral, but voting for the only one you played sounds kinda unfair...
You're voting on what your favorite is, not which one you think is best. Theres a difference.
How can you say which one is your favorite without having played the others? You can't pick a favorite when you haven't even played the other ones.
Okay, if thats the way you wanna look at it, whats your favorite Final Fantasy game?
The answer to that is easy. None of them, Final Fantasy sucks.
Your saying I cant say which was my favorite until I play every single one of them?
Pretty much. Get to work monkey boy.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Fallout 2 for me, i like Fallout 3 (a bit) but i just can't seem to get into it.

H0ncho

Feb 4, 2008
TOGSolid said:
The guy may be stupid, but he will never reach the stupidity levels of the morons from NMA [http://www.somethingawful.com/d/weekend-web/fallout-scarleteen-armenianclub.php].
The difference is that one of these are paid for writing and knowing things about computer games, the others are just random internet commenters. I don't know how new you are to the internet, but let me be the first to inform you that in a lightly moderated forum with many visitors it is pretty easy to find extreme viewpoints. Also, if you investigate the background and history of these opinions you might perhaps start to understand them better.

ineedscissors

Oct 24, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
ineedscissors said:
Fallout 3, as its the only one i've played. I would be willing to play F1 and F2, but i haz no PC.
then what the hell are you posting this post on? ... are you a wizard? (i cant find the pix for that saying. sorry.)
No, I meant that I had a Mac, and I only found out very recently that there actually are F1 and F2 versions for Mac (thnx charcharo). And yes, I am a wizard.

ElectroJosh

Aug 27, 2009
As someone who has played all the Fallouts I based my response (Fallout 1) based on how awesome it was for me compared to other games at the time. Fallout 1 ended up being my favourite game for the next 3 or 4 years (I still fire it up and play it through every so often).

Fallout 3 is my second favourite (a perfect update of the setting) but didn't blow me away in the same way given its similarity to Morrowind/Oblivion and some FPS games. Its a superior game due to the simple evolution of games. Anyway thats my rationale. Fallout 1 was my favourite game at the time while as Fallout 3 is one I really like but I have a few I currently prefer.

Wilbot666

Aug 21, 2009
I've only played Fallout 3 as much as it pains me to admit it. I want to play the first two though, I was a big fan of that style of RPG and clocked up hundreds of hours on the Baldur's Gate Trilogy. I saw them cheap online yesterday, maybe I should go download them.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Fallout 3. Yes I've played the originals but they're old enough and Fallout3 was revolutionary enough (just with the VATS system) that it isn't even a fair question.
Sure the writing in the originals were a little bit better but not to the same degree that the gameplay had improved.

I'm expecting Vegas to be even better than that but I'm holding judgement for the Fall.