Question of the Day, November 5, 2010

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Games should be accessible to everyone, not specific groups. Except, of course, the Mature ones, for obvious reasons.

The Admiral

Jul 23, 2008
I don't trust publishers and marketing to target women properly. I predict that they will miss the mark and alienate more people than they draw in. The women I know, who are into games, are drawn towards games with better narratives and characters that are not cookie cutter archetypes. They don't want uber feminist protagonists; they don't need gushy romance. I guess what I'm trying to say is if you want more women to play your games, then just make better games. If you build it, they will come.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
If the fairer sex wants to play a game, they'll play it no matter how you advertise it. Marketing a game directly to them is just going to isolate guys who might want to play it and runs the risk of insulting the audience (and making women have second thoughts about purchasing their game).

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
I'd say its a risky move to advertise to women, many are already dismissive of games and convincing them otherwise is a difficult task and if you don't pull it off you miss the core audience. Its not an advertisers job to diversify but to sell.

Nemu

In my hand I hold a key...
Oct 14, 2009
If they want to get more women to play games, they need to make games that women will want to play, advertising isn't going to help.

That being said, I am a woman, and I only play games that are interesting to me, be them with male or female protagonists. Fact is: video games, at least those that aren't designated as "party games" that groups of people will play together, are mostly played by males. "Girl" games have never done well enough to really branch out into their own genre. If girls want to play games, they will. Most just don't feel the need to. *shrug*
Advertising targeting women isn't really going to change much. Companies need to either quit advertising (my choice) or advertise a bit wider than just during sporting events on tv or in print ads.

(Tho, I suppose, by saying that I could be misconstrued as suggesting that they "target women" by product placement. blah)

Alora

Jan 15, 2010
HankMan said:
Female orientated TV adds?
As long as they don't include Justin Bieber or Edward, I don't see why not
Oh god no! NO! I am a female gamer and I am rising up to say NO!!!

Yes I'm a chick. Yes I play games. I agree with what others have said, girls who play games are not swayed ANY differently by game adds than guys are. You want to get non-gamers into games? Tough. Luck. Your best bet to pull in "female non-gamers" is to advertise in Cosmopolitan... 'cause I can tell you, every female gamer I've ever met (including myself) does not get into the 'fashionista' BS. We're just like the guys! We might have ever so slight difference in game-tastes - I enjoy Cooking Mama for DS, my bf doesn't. But I also enjoy the shooters I've played, the dungeon crawlers, RPGs, MMO's, fighting games, tactic games, etc...

Game companies need to STOP thinking "oh we need to target women" because I know they just want to bring in more business, so they think to bring in women who don't play games. Well here's the problem: women who don't play games... don't like games. They like doing their nails and their hair, shopping, gossiping, and... god knows what else, I'm not like them.

Gamer girls don't generally fit into the 'target audience' to acquire new women gamers. And while I'm at it, I'm not a 'girl gamer', I'm just a gamer. Stop treating me like some mythical magic retail dollar.

Divine Miss Bee

Feb 16, 2010
games are advertised, period. i don't understand how one would "advertise to women" specifically-it's not as though women inhabit a separate world with different ad media. we're reached by the same ads that reach men.

Nahhnbah

Nov 4, 2010
Meh. I predicted I would hate it, and I was right.

Just like I was with Halo, Gears of War, God of War and COD.

Hooray.

Setting women aside is insulting really. Are we not the same as everyone else?

Estocavio

Aug 5, 2009
What does that even mean? Should they include makeup and lipstick in the videos border, and advertise fashion concerts? (Im not trying to be sexist, but that is literally the ONLY way i can think of it could be done)

Enlighten me if im missing something here.
Gamers are gamers, and no matter how you advertise something, it does not change the product.
Its ADVERTISING. Not game design. Though if it was game design that would just be stupid

rees263

The Lone Wanderer
Jun 4, 2009
The nintendo ads in the UK do this quite well already. You can tell that they see women as an untapped market since a disproportionately large number of their DS ads seem to focus on women playing the games, both on TV and in other places. With the Wii they obviously have the whole "family gaming" thing going on so women are included if not the focus.

As for Sony and MS? I don't know where they should go. Lets say they play a cool montage from CoD: Back Ops in an ad. If that doesn't already appeal to a particular woman then it would probably be very hard to change that.

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
I don't see how you would target women with advertising. My gf loves survival horror so i guess you could make games with emotionally stressing stories but i believe that its all more of a preference thing. I mean when you talk about chick flicks we talk story emotional relationships and there are games that do that but when you put those lovey dovey relationships at the center it makes me go wtf? I want some gameplay with my characters and not something mundane.

Hashime

Jan 13, 2010
I would say yes, because many women (at least the ones I know) pay zero attention to the ways games are currently marketed. A female friend once said to me: "Damn LBP is great, why have I not heard of it?"
There also needs to be more girl friendly games not made by Nintendo on that are shovelware. Games that are more like [insert teen drama] in terms of emotion and pacing and less slabs of beef with guns. That is not to say girls cannot like a game like halo or GOW, but in my experience they are not as appealing as a game like LBP or the mario games.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
If they want to play the game, then they can go ahead and play it, but people will generally advertise to the more popular target audience. Not the minority, as is the case in some games.

Alora

Jan 15, 2010
HankMan said:
You do realize I was joking right?
Ya, only the first part of my post was directed at yours. And I was over-exaggerating... sort of... I still hate Beiber and Twilight. lol The rest of my post was just my view on the topic at hand.