Question who out there WILL Never upgrade to next gen (current gen)?

Fonejackerjon

Aug 23, 2012
So, just curious how many of you will not at all upgrade to ps4, xbone or update your PC??

In other words is the PS3, 360 and your current PC Spec your last generation? If so, why?

Another question, who genuinely believes we will see AAA gaming see REAL AND GENUINE innovation this gen and not rely on the tried and test formulas, GTA and COD clones?

Discuss.

Dec 14, 2009
Don't know where you're getting the 'GTA clones' things from, and please, don't capitalise things for emphasis, it's obnoxious.

I'll give you COD clones, sure, but GTA clones? Ehhhh, I wasn't seeing too many of those last gen.

As for REAL AND GENUINE innovation (see? Obnoxious), we saw some really good stuff last gen, and I'm expecting to see more this gen.

As for upgrading? Well, yeah, I'll upgrade my PC eventually, not for another couple of years at least, but I will, and I'll probably pick up a PS4 at some point.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
I usually have a cycle of ~3-4 years with my gaming laptops, so I'm probably going to upgrade at some point. But I suppose I'll wait and see how well it's running the new stuff in 2016/7 or whatever. Also depends on how long this console generation lasts. If it's ~7 years like the last one, then almost certainly.

I'll also probably be getting a PS4 when new games start coming out. Thinking about getting one midway through this year, but I'll see if any exclusives drop that interest me. Will probably end up picking it up anyway for the odd sports game, but may hold off until 2015 if games are uninspiring.

As to innovation, who knows? The Oculus Rift may get the ball rolling in some areas. Developers may be able to open up level design now that they have more than a tiny amount of RAM/processor power, whether that counts as innovation.

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
I'm actually planning on buying a new gaming PC next week because my current one is way past its use by date. In terms of consoles however I'm completely done with them until some huge changes occur in the console market so I definitely won't be participating in this console generation at least. I'm just going to stick to my PC and 3DS for now.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
We will be getting safe games throughout the gen (we get safe games throughout all time) but in about a year or two developers will start producing the innovative games now that there is a sizeable consumer base on the PS4, Xbox One and Wii U.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
It's too early to really say at this point, but it would be incredibly pessimistic to assume that we won't get any innovation this gen. Besides, people are going to ***** about what exactly constitutes 'genuine' innovation- I'm sure if you wanted to, you could claim that every last-gen game is a ripoff of something else, but that's just how progress moves forward.

I think we're going to see the trend towards better writing and character development continue, as well as better portrayals of women and minorities. Hopefully by the time the PS5/Xboxwhatever roll around we'll have a few games that can hold a candle to cinema in that regard.

As for me, I'll probably get one (a PS4 seems the most appealing so far) when the price drops to something I can justify spending that much money on.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Planning to upgrade my PC this month if things go well to a beast of a PC that will trump any games for the next coming 3-5 years.

Gonna invest around 3000euro so yeah that's my plan. No need for next gen consoles when my current PC is almost on par with them.

ClockworkUniverse

Nov 15, 2012
Well, I already have a Wii U, so I guess it's a bit late for me to answer this.

The Xbox One and PS4 just have no exclusives I'm even remotely interested in, since I do most of my gaming on PC.

I'll probably upgrade my PC at some point, but it's doing pretty well so far, so I think it'll be awhile.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Well I bought a WiiU, but I have no interest in the PS4 and definitely no interest in the Xbox None.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
Right now i don't see any reason why i should upgrade. There are still tons of games that i need to play on Ds, Wii, ps1-3 and so forth, i see no appeal in the new batch of consoles. Ps4 and XboxOne just looks like more of the same, only slightly worse because everything bad about the current generation seems to be worsened. I have no interest, but that'll probably change once they get some games, but that might take a while considering that i nothing worthwile has been announced. And i can say for certain that i'm going to stay far away from Xboxone.

If it counts, i'm almost certain that i'll get a 3Ds sometime later this year, just looks like all the good stuff is happening on the handheld scene these days.

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
Well if we were talking consoles I would have said probably because my PC just gives me a better experience then these consoles seem to be. However even then there would have been an exception saying "unless they start to do something I want or have a huge number of exclusives that I want".

As for not upgrading my PC, cant do it. PC gaming is my hobby and that hobby includes upgrading my PC when it needs it or when I want to try something out. When the Titan graphics card came out I bought one immediately just to try it out and its pretty good, two would make it work even better but Im not blowing that much money on a minor upgrade that I probably wont need for several years. Although I have been wanting to try out a water cooling system if only to see how it effects performance and I can get several pretty cheap

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
TheRightToArmBears said:
I think we're going to see the trend towards better writing and character development continue, as well as better portrayals of women and minorities. Hopefully by the time the PS5/Xboxwhatever roll around we'll have a few games that can hold a candle to cinema in that regard.
Yes, because cinema does so well with characters, story, and representation of minorities... *cough* Transformers *cough* Twilight *cough* Adam Sandler Movies *cough*

OT: I already have a WiiU, and I plan on getting the others somewhere down the line when they have more than one exclusive that I want to play. And I am sure we will see more innovation. We will get at least as much as the indie community as a whole, I suspect. But then, that isn't really much of a change from years past...

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
I didn't even upgrade to the last gen consoles, so I'm pretty confident nothing will entice into these ones. My PC is one I got on clearance at Wal-Mart. I'm set for a while.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Well I already have a Wii U, so I already upgraded. Really I'm holding off on a PS4 until the HDMI capture update is put in place. After that it's just waiting for the games, then I'd be set.

I guarantee that if Kingdom Hearts 3 were coming out next year then I'd instantly get a PS4. As for the Xbox One, I'm not really interested in the exclusive they have and my PC is technically a gaming PC, but I hardly ever play games on it. Really pisses off some because of that, but I use my PC for rendering and editing videos, as well as for homework, with the occasional game being played on it.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
BreakfastMan said:
TheRightToArmBears said:
Yes, because cinema does so well with characters, story, and representation of minorities... *cough* Transformers *cough* Twilight *cough* Adam Sandler Movies *cough*

Yes, because Transformers, Twilight and Adam Sandler movies represent the entirety of the film industry.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
TheRightToArmBears said:
BreakfastMan said:
TheRightToArmBears said:

Yes, because Transformers, Twilight and Adam Sandler movies represent the entirety of the film industry.
Just like Call of Duty, Gears of War, and God of War represent the game industry, right?

Simple Bluff

Dec 30, 2009
I'll have to play KH3 at some point in my life so getting an X1 or PS4 is pretty much a guarantee. I don't know if I'll ever buy one though, it would seem a waste to buy an entire console just to play one game, so I guess I might borrow it off somebody, or rent it if anywhere still does that.

I'll have to upgrade my laptop as well at some point, although I doubt I'll ever invest in a computer that's good enough to run modern games.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
The only console I'd consider getting this gen is the Wii U. I've been a loyal Sony fan since '96 when I was three years old. But not only has the company changed, the entire industry has changed. That could be good or bad depending on your view, but I don't like what's been going on recently and I have no interest in buying a PS4.

Also not to say I only had Sony products, I appreciate Nintendo a lot too. Since I don't feel like going forward I've gone back, enjoying SNES classics.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Well I already have a PS4, Xbox One and a gaming PC, and I'll probably buy a Wii U at some point in the near future.

So no, I'm not waiting around this time :p