Question who out there WILL Never upgrade to next gen (current gen)?

nyankaty

Nov 4, 2013
I'll never say never, but I currently have zero desire to upgrade my PS3. For one, I only just got it a year ago (I'm always behind, I know) so there's still a lot to see and do on it, and secondly, I still love my PS2 and Gamecube too much to really have any immediate desire to throw a lot of money down on a new console that I don't know a whole lot about.

I mean, we'll see. They may release some amazing stuff in the future that I'll need (Kingdom Hearts 3, please!) but I'm not holding my breath.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
BreakfastMan said:
TheRightToArmBears said:
BreakfastMan said:
TheRightToArmBears said:
I think we're going to see the trend towards better writing and character development continue, as well as better portrayals of women and minorities. Hopefully by the time the PS5/Xboxwhatever roll around we'll have a few games that can hold a candle to cinema in that regard.
Yes, because cinema does so well with characters, story, and representation of minorities... *cough* Transformers *cough* Twilight *cough* Adam Sandler Movies *cough*

Yes, because Transformers, Twilight and Adam Sandler movies represent the entirety of the film industry.
Just like Call of Duty, Gears of War, and God of War represent the game industry, right?
...Which isn't what I said at all.

I pointed out that we're seeing an increased emphasis on storytelling in gaming and that I think that will continue in this generation. However, at the moment, even games like The Last of Us or Tomb Raider- whilst an improvement- aren't anywhere near the level of writing that you might see in an Oscar-nominated film.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
TheRightToArmBears said:
BreakfastMan said:
TheRightToArmBears said:
BreakfastMan said:
TheRightToArmBears said:
I think we're going to see the trend towards better writing and character development continue, as well as better portrayals of women and minorities. Hopefully by the time the PS5/Xboxwhatever roll around we'll have a few games that can hold a candle to cinema in that regard.
Yes, because cinema does so well with characters, story, and representation of minorities... *cough* Transformers *cough* Twilight *cough* Adam Sandler Movies *cough*

Yes, because Transformers, Twilight and Adam Sandler movies represent the entirety of the film industry.
Just like Call of Duty, Gears of War, and God of War represent the game industry, right?

I pointed out that we're seeing an increased emphasis on storytelling in gaming and that I think that will continue in this generation. However, at the moment, even games like The Last of Us or Tomb Raider- whilst an improvement- aren't anywhere near the level of writing that you might see in an Oscar-nominated film.
I question that assertion. In what specific way is the writing and story-telling in even the best games inferior to all oscar-nominated films? And isn't it unfair to compare the video game equivalent of action-blockbusters to an award that largely goes to indie and art-house pieces, many of which end up forgotten years later?

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
There is absolutely no doubt that I will update my PC, or just build a new PC, but not for 3-5 years. And even then, I'll probably just be updating my graphics card. (Now I just need to figure out how to upgrade laptops in a couple years time and I'll be golden)

unbreakable212

Feb 4, 2012
I highly doubt I'll spend my own money on a next gen console, but I will defo upgrade/buy a new computer at some point.
I think I'll just focus on a new PC and but the consoles behind me. The modding community on the PC has really sucked me in and once I get a good gaming computer, I'll be hooked even more.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
BreakfastMan said:
TheRightToArmBears said:
BreakfastMan said:
TheRightToArmBears said:
BreakfastMan said:
TheRightToArmBears said:

I question that assertion. In what specific way is the writing and story-telling in even the best games inferior to all oscar-nominated films? And isn't it unfair to compare the video game equivalent of action-blockbusters to an award that largely goes to indie and art-house pieces, many of which end up forgotten years later?
Indie and arthouse films? Surely that's an exaggeration. Doing a bit of browsing, look at the 2009 nominees- The Hurt Locker (which won Best Picture), District 9, Avatar and Inglorious Basterds are all fairly action filled. Hell, although the story was messy, Iron Man 3 had a way better script than any game I can think of. The writing in gaming sits pretty much at B-movie level with a few exceptions that are flattered in comparison.

Perhaps I'm being slightly too harsh- Facial animations in a lot of games aren't great, which makes it seem like a bunch of actors full of botox trying to act so a lot of lines come across as quite hammy.

Apr 5, 2008
I don't know about *never*, but certainly not for a while. There's no games I specifically want to play on new-gen consoles (Forza 5 is the closest but I still haven't finished 3 or 4, and I don't particularly want to pay for a game with 50% of the cars/tracks sold separately). and still have a few I haven't played on my 360. Considering I was a late adopter of the 360 and that my main gaming platform is PC, I'm in no hurry.

£400 is also a lot of money for a console so I'd rather buy it after the first price drop, or the second. I'm also waiting to see which, if either, gets a "homebrew scene" if such is possible, so if either get their firmware cracked I'd be more inclined to buy one. I can't abide restrictions and am not a fan of consoles' "walled garden" approach. I like being able to run emulators, tinker and sideload stuff. The Wii U backwards compatibility is a good selling point but not enough in itself. I will wait and see for the immediate future but haven't ruled out a new-gen console at some point.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
TheRightToArmBears said:
BreakfastMan said:
TheRightToArmBears said:
BreakfastMan said:
TheRightToArmBears said:
BreakfastMan said:
TheRightToArmBears said:

Indie and arthouse films? Surely that's an exaggeration. Doing a bit of browsing, look at the 2009 nominees- The Hurt Locker (which won Best Picture), District 9, Avatar and Inglorious Basterds are all fairly action filled. Hell, although the story was messy, Iron Man 3 had a way better script than any game I can think of. The writing in gaming sits pretty much at B-movie level with a few exceptions that are flattered in comparison.
I said largely. That doesn't mean that other sorts of films don't get in, but most of the nominees are dramas and arthouse fair. And you still didn't answer my question: in what specific way is the writing and story-telling in games inferior to film?

That is to say nothing of your assertion that most of the writing in games sits at b-movie level, yet most film writing somehow isn't.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Well I just got myself a new computer a few days ago, so I guess I'm out of the equation. It's not a top-of-the-line machine though, just something good enough for me to play titles like Skyrim and War Thunder smoothly on high graphical settings.

I really don't see any good reason to buy a current-gen console or better computer any time soon, however. Simply put, there are few things in the mainstream industry that excite me anymore. I've been playing video games long enough that I feel that the triple-A market has nothing new to offer outside of higher graphical fidelity (something that will always take a back seat to aesthetics and gameplay for me) Most of the titles that do catch my interest tend to be indie/crowdfunded PC titles that don't require a monster rig to run, such as FTL and the upcoming Armikrog. Also, I've accumulated so many games over the decades that I'm pretty happy with what I already have.

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
I'll wait until later in the PS4's life, to grab one. I bought my 160GB PS3 for $300. Shortly because the price dropped. I was not happy at all. >> But I'd also like to wait until there are more games for it. That way I can have a steady stream of games I can purchase when possible.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
I lasted this whole generation.

That's right I own a computer and a PS2 (I bum off other people and my parents if I really want to play a game on a Wii/PS3/360). I likely will at some point in this generation considering I don't forsee a swift end to it. When there's enough games to justify a purchase. I will pounce.

Commissar Sae

Nov 13, 2009
Might buy a next gen console eventually, but considering I only ever got a 360 because I could get it cheap in the last few years and split it with my roomates I doubt I will be getting any new console any time soon. Besides, I am mainly a PC gamer, so while I plan to buy a new computer soon a new console isn't really my priority.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
Well I'm not protesting against next gen, but it just looks uninteresting so I won't be upgrading for the next 5 years.
WiiU will rise up eventually, PS3 still has a lot to live for (by a lot I mean Dark Souls 2 and Persona 5 baby), and me and my step dad are building a gaming rig that can outshine the next two console generations aka MY INITIATION TO THE ALMIGHTY PC MASTER RACE.

So yeah, next gen looks dull, who needs it right now.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
TheRightToArmBears said:
BreakfastMan said:
TheRightToArmBears said:
BreakfastMan said:
TheRightToArmBears said:
BreakfastMan said:
TheRightToArmBears said:

Perhaps I'm being slightly too harsh- Facial animations in a lot of games aren't great, which makes it seem like a bunch of actors full of botox trying to act so a lot of lines come across as quite hammy.
I agree with this, and it's actually one of the reasons while i'm slowly losing interest in modern games. The stories are rarely worth a damn, even games that try really hard, like Tomb Raider , struggles to top something like Pirates of the Carribean. It's incredibly serious and dark, but also hopelessly over the top and most of the characters looks like creepy wax dolls. It just dosen't work and there's too many innefective tools being used in videogame storytelling, It might be possible to do something decent, but for the most part i would really prefer that they focused on making engaging and rich gameplay systems instead of all this endless waffling. Games are good at gameplay, less good at stories and yet the medium is mostly focussing on storytelling at the moment. We have better media for stories, do something else please.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I bought a Wii U on day one so I'm already in the current gen...or rather I would be if the Wii U was considered current gen. As for the PS4/XBone/Gaming PC, I will likely get a PS4 in about a year or a year in a half; the soonest I get one will be Christmas or, new years 2015 because by then Second Son, Thief, Shadow's Fall will all be budget titles and games like The Order 1886, Watch Dogs, etc will be widely available because they'll have been out for a long enough for people to have bought them, played them, etc.

I'm never going to buy an XBone. That is to say, I'm not going to buy an XBone unless they release a variation that ships without the Kinect.

PC Gaming is weird and, scary to me. I'm a member of Steam and, GOG so I'll be able to play PC games released years-to-decades ago which is fine since I do the same with console games anyway. Then there are games like Paper's, Please and, FTL which look like they could run on an NES or SNES so of course my PC can play those. More of those will come outand I'll be able to play those.

As for innovation, it looks like the most innovation we'll see are going to be in the way of retailers, publishers, etc finding new and, effective ways to screw people out of their money before, during and, after buying the fragments of games they end up getting before releasing complete editions of those same games under the guise of Game of the Year or, Complete editions.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
I dunno for the most part, the current parts my friend has that I want already cost £400+ just for the motherboard,CPU and case, even then I'll need more RAM and a new monitor and an SSD and eventually a GPU down the road later this year so I'm probably not going to do any upgrading at all with the prices just yet.

I might just end up going for a PS4 and WIi U during this year since I've missed playing Killzone and I want to play Zombi U,Bayonetta 2 and some Monster Hunter.

basically I'm not upgrading to anything just yet but I'm more leaning to what I want and Sony and Nintendo have my attention for the time being.

I'm also laughing out of my chair right now over the "hostage" situation being slapped passive aggressively onto the big 3, owners of the property they'd bought, but whatever, I'm not up for a forced on purpose debate (because that would be the only reason).

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
I'll probably get a new pc in a couple of years; probably in time for Fallout 4 goty (I dont buy freshly launched Bethesda games anymore) but I think the ps3 might be my last console. Consoles used to be inexpensive alternatives but if you buy a ps4 now and you intend to play online (which you'll probably have to since local multiplayer continues to be phased out and the core content of a lot of games seems to be online) you're going to be spending another $500 on it over the 10 year lifetime they're expecting; and that's if they don't raise the price of psplus the way MS did with xblg halfway through the previous generation. So, $900 for a console, no thanks.
The only console I would possibly consider buying at this point is the Wiioo and that would just be to have games to play with other people...in the room. It just has to get some interesting games.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
rhizhim said:
DarkhoIlow said:
Planning to upgrade my PC this month if things go well to a beast of a PC that will trump any games for the next coming 3-5 years.

Gonna invest around 3000euro so yeah that's my plan. No need for next gen games when my current PC is almost on par with them.
if you can, wait until september.
they plan to release ddr4 ram sticks on the 3rd quarter of this year.
Well it's 50/50 if I can get that much saved by the end of the month so it's not 100% sure I will get an upgrade. But waiting until September is way too long especially since most of the games that will take advantage of that new system (Witcher 3 specifically) will probably be released by then and I want to have my rig ready by then.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
JagermanXcell said:
Well I'm not protesting against next gen, but it just looks uninteresting so I won't be upgrading for the next 5 years.
WiiU will rise up eventually, PS3 still has a lot to live for (by a lot I mean Dark Souls 2 and Persona 5 baby), and me and my step dad are building a gaming rig that can outshine the next two console generations aka MY INITIATION TO THE ALMIGHTY PC MASTER RACE.

So yeah, next gen looks dull, who needs it right now.
The problem I see with upgrading at this point is the fact that 2014 actually holds a lot of games I want. Tales of Symphonia Chronicles and Tales of Xilla 2 are some of my most anticipated games in the future. I am also looking forward to the new Tales game (also PS3) and Persona 5. Since there is no backwards compatibility and no games I am really interested in coming out for PS4 or Xbox One I will stick with Wii U, PS3 and a gaming PC for now. I will replace my graphics card soon, but that's more because it got some issues rather than actual need.