Questions Still Swirl Around EA's Origin Bans

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
This is why I hate people who support DRM, when a company can take a way your game for saying something, they have too much power. Thankfully I don't give a shit about EAs forums.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Speakercone said:
So EA customer service is either grossly inept or deliberately vindictive.

Not surprised the executives want things dealt with quietly.
The first option. I run an NFS community and read frequent rant threads from users trying to get stuff done through EA Support and in short its a frickin nightmare. To test the complaints out, I raised a support ticket regarding playing NFS Carbon on Windows 7 (It had worked previously but when I went to reinstall it awhile back it wouldn't load).

I gave the support team my full system specs, every resolution I had tried so far including the various ones I found on the EA KB and forum suppor threads, tried reinstalling it and everything. The response I got was, "Sorry to hear you're having these problems..." then went on to list the first three things I had already said I tried. After a few back and forths with the support (with their time to respond getting longer and longer) they eventually asked me to try the same stuff they had already asked in the first email! The flow chart they follow had presumably looped around.

Now, back to the case of the accounts getting banned completely.

The following is theory and has not been confirmed by EA staff but instead based on facts Ive seen and from info gained. When you sign up to EA, it creates an account called EA.Global on their systems. Then every game that you register after that generates a new alt for that game so EA.NFSTheRun, EA.TheSims3 etc. When you first sign up to the forums it creates a forum alt too. You can check this by logging into the EA forums and going to options then checking the "Personas" area.

You can change your persona in the forums and actually use the alt for different sections with different customisations. For example, you may have your NFS alts set up with a suitably car based avatar. The problem Im willing to bet with the people who've been banned from the forum and the game however is that they've set their EA.Global persona as their active profile.
This means that when they then ***** at a forum mod (who are not official EA employees most of the time), the forum mod swings the ban hammer and ends up banning the whole tree of accounts.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Electronic Arts says it is working on "more equitable" rules but in the meantime it appears that a ban from its forums could still leave you locked out of your Origin games.
The fuck do they mean they're "working on more equitable rules"? It's not rocket science you imbeciles, forum bans should not equal being banned from using your games. Look at any other game company who's games have an online component and a community forum. They sure as hell aren't banning players from their games for breaking the forum rules. (or for complaining)

When it comes to companies I'm convinced are staffing very high paid chimpanzees to decide on policy Nintendo sits above EA only because their online stuff is bogged down with all that "friend code" bullshit, plus the existence of the Wii. EA is still a close second for company run by the most out of touch corporate douche bags.

Though we can rant and rave all we want, it won't change a damned thing. The guys at the top are making so much money they really don't give two shits how broken or stupid their policies on treating their customers are. They will make money regardless and eventually move on to the position of CEO at some other company when they get bored dabbling in the gaming industry.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
KeyMaster45 said:
Electronic Arts says it is working on "more equitable" rules but in the meantime it appears that a ban from its forums could still leave you locked out of your Origin games.
The fuck do they mean they're "working on more equitable rules"?
It means they will start using a condom before they bend you over.

Out of curiosity, I would like to know how many people bought vs how many pirated Battlefield 3. With Mass Effect 3 coming up I wonder what the ratio will be there.

EA have to know people don't like what they are doing don't they? They can't honestly think that people are going to stand for it.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Even though Origin won't be required for The Old Republic, this gives me pause at getting that game when I can afford to, as there will be no telling how vindictive EA will be on ingame behavior. Fortunately there is nothing else on EA's roster that I even want, nor are there any games by EA I own that they could ban me from playing.
I eagerly await to when that little arbitration clause comes to the test when someone finally sues EA's ass for their crap.
Scrumpmonkey said:
This can also affect Bioware game logins. If anything this is a joint reason never to buy an EA related product, never use origin and then never go on their forums. I mean in this dsy and age its not like a person who gets their EA account banned can't just go online and get a crack anyway; hell multiplayer games are becoming more and more commonly cracked.

All EA is doing is fucking over the legitimate user on another level by putting an account based system of utter bullshit in place. Yes Valve do something similar, no it does not make valve "Just as bad". There is a fine line to walk in digital distribution and at almost every level EA is on the wrong side of it.
Valve does nothing on par with this. They do not ban you from games you own and the forum isn't even tied to your Steam account. Something that was made apparent with the recent forum hack. Unless you were stupid enough to use the same handle and password for your forum as you have for your Steam.
EA is performing every example of how to handle a digital service the WRONG way. Valve was nowhere near this incompetent or sadistic when they started Steam, and they have gotten further away from that example every year. I am thinking EA is only going to get worse, and when their profits finally begin to die because of this, they will just blame Activision.
doggie015 said:
Sean951 said:
What happened to you EA? You used to be cool.
Spore. Spore happened
Or, more precisely, SecuROM. And it is still there in EA's games, people. Run a search of your PC. And you still can't remove it easily, either.
rsvp42 said:
cursedseishi said:
Though honestly, I'm all for just starving Origins in general, letting it flop about in its own filth before finally suffocating in it. Though... I think The Old Republic is attached to Origin, so... might not be too easy then.
TOR can be purchased digitally through Origin, but it's not required to log in or play. Bioware likes to make that clear. I sense even they don't want to deal with gamer aggro surrounding Origin.
Considering BioWare is owned by EA, that line of thought is kind of silly. Consider the last time a publisher-owned developer tried to play by their own rules instead of the publisher's. They ended up all fired and investigated by the SEC. (Although considering they were able to set up their own company immediately after, I am thinking the SEC were just used for intimidation factor.)
No, TOR not running on Origin is probably for other reasons. It won't stop EA from giving you the stink-eye for spamming fart jokes on Alderaan, though. You can bet on that. Especially when your TOR account ends up linked up with your Origin account, anyway. As I was just informed the other day, with EA's best fake smile put on. (Apparently now I can have an Origin account with zero effort!)

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
yeh don't post on any official EA forums unless its to say. "I have this [bug/glitch/error] Anyone know a fix?"

Those forums should really be nothing more than a help desk, using it for anything invites what was mentioned in this article.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
John Ricitiello and the rest of the ass clowns at EA are prime examples that there isn't nearly enough violent crime in the world. The sooner someone introduces that bastards's frontal lobe to the business end of a fucking crowbar the better off we will all be. I kid you not I would love nothing more than for that man (and a few other choice game execs) to be left in a state where the highlight of their day is a toss up between pudding and getting their diapers changed as they lay in bed with the high brain functions of a particularly stupid dung beetle.

Ziadaine_v1legacy

Flamboyant Homosexual
Apr 11, 2009
RaikuFA said:
Isn't what EA doing illegial? Seriously, we need a lawyer up in here.
Yes and no. It's their property your buying from but at the same time it becomes YOUR property and what they're doing is stealing your rights away from said property.

Either way, I think I wont bother getting BF3 for either PS3 and ESPECIALLY PC with such Nazi attacks like that.

And I'll fully say, I'm 100% inclined to just pirating BF3 to play SP, JUST to avoid this Origin shit. (hell, you cant even fucking change your avatar image on origin, it has to be an "EA Image").

On that note: *Starts uninstalling Origin*

Wither

Nov 19, 2009
Man, I am NOT looking forward to ME3. I mean, up until a while ago, I was keen as anything to get my hands on it, but then I realised that I would have to get Origin. I am literally DREADING the release of a videogame because of the hoops I'm going to have to jump through to play it.
HOW HAS THIS BECOME NORMAL.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
It's been common knowledge for anyone who has played EA games online for any amount of time (at least in the communities I play in) that forum bans mean EA account bans. Happened a lot during BC2 especially. EA sucks, but the games they put out are top notch, so it's really hard to say screw em and stay away.

Skratt

Dec 20, 2008
Goddamn this makes me wish Mass Effect 3 wasn't on Origin. I guess it doesn't really matter what we think, EA and Origin smashed sales records with BF3, so where is there incentive to change their ways?

Forums are not Games and one shouldn't affect the other. Fuck EA and their shitty policies. Even Steam, the platform that everyone seems to love to hate now because it's the cool thing to do, has a separation of Forums and Games. I mean, it's really a no fucking brainer.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
we knew this was coming?
honestly, it's ea! i predict things will get a little worse before they get better, too.
first they start off claiming your pc with their software because they want to compete with steam and now this

the only ea published game i intend to play soon is star-wars tor, and it isn't origin exclusive
and ive already made my mind up about quitting if they even hint at making it origin exclusive
because screw origin.

all ea want is a 'store in your house' and they don't care how they get it there
and they haven't built up a respect for their users
bottom line

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
samsonguy920 said:
Considering BioWare is owned by EA, that line of thought is kind of silly. Consider the last time a publisher-owned developer tried to play by their own rules instead of the publisher's. They ended up all fired and investigated by the SEC. (Although considering they were able to set up their own company immediately after, I am thinking the SEC were just used for intimidation factor.)
No, TOR not running on Origin is probably for other reasons. It won't stop EA from giving you the stink-eye for spamming fart jokes on Alderaan, though. You can bet on that. Especially when your TOR account ends up linked up with your Origin account, anyway. As I was just informed the other day, with EA's best fake smile put on. (Apparently now I can have an Origin account with zero effort!)
Bioware doesn't care about the SEC, at least not at their main HQ. They might be worried about the Canadian equivalent, if one exists, but they don't care abou the SEC.

uppitycracker said:
It's been common knowledge for anyone who has played EA games online for any amount of time (at least in the communities I play in) that forum bans mean EA account bans. Happened a lot during BC2 especially. EA sucks, but the games they put out are top notch, so it's really hard to say screw em and stay away.
My question is, if everyone knows this is the case, why does ANYONE use the EA forums? If I'm not on their forums, you can't forum ban me.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
vxicepickxv said:
samsonguy920 said:
Bioware doesn't care about the SEC, at least not at their main HQ. They might be worried about the Canadian equivalent, if one exists, but they don't care abou the SEC.

uppitycracker said:
My question is, if everyone knows this is the case, why does ANYONE use the EA forums? If I'm not on their forums, you can't forum ban me.
I wonder the same thing. I dunno, maybe it's not as common knowledge as I thought, but I've seen it happening before it even became an internet gaming site news story.