Questions you hate being asked

TheCruxis

Jan 19, 2011
"How are you"...I hate that question, it's so meaningless. Everybody just answers "fine" or something along that line anyway. Why? Because it's just a polite question to ask, nobody really wants to know.

The same thing with "so what have you been up to today" (alt. this week, or this weekend). Do you really want me to tell you everything I've done? Ok, first I woke up, then I had breakfast and bla bla bla...No you don't want to hear that. But if I say "uh, nothing special" I sound boring and miserable. I guess the bottom line is: I hate small talk and meaningless polite phrases.

daemonhunter17

Oct 23, 2011
I have 2 main annoying ones:

Firstly, "What's it like to be so tall?" I get this sometimes and it drives me insane, more because of the fact that I don't even know how you'd begin to answer it.

Secondly, "Where are you from?" This doesn't annoy me most of the time, since it's easy enough to just say Glasgow. What REALLY annoys me is when they say afterwards, "No, but where are you actually from?" This presumably stems from the fact that my accent has become rather distorted given that I lived in middle east and in England for a number of years so people end up giving me a massive variety of suggestions.

Still, it really pisses me off, I mean why would I lie about it? I'm always tempted to just reply with something stupid like "Well I'm actually from Saturn but people tend to find that a bit weird"

Genericjim101

Jan 7, 2011
"What's it like having hydrocephalus/ Asperger's/ mild to severe depression?" It's fun : D
"What's it like dating someone with a much larger age gap (of *cough* 6 years)?" She's a lot less annoying and angsty than most people my own age.
"How would you rate your own work performance?" (Fucking brilliant!)
"Who on Earth are you to say that?" (Hello, I'm the Doctor)

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Colour-Scientist said:
Realitycrash said:
Difference is that when it comes to Philosophy, and not Astro-Physics, the average person thinks he can grasp it easily and tends to have follow-up questions, and I am forced to give answers which they rarely understand.
You could always try to give them an answer in a way that's easy for someone who's new to the field to understand. That's what most other people do. I don't think philosophy is an exception.
I have yet to find such a simple answer, feel free to add one.

BlastedTheWorm

Jan 26, 2010
-Drifter- said:
Is there a question you're frequently asked that you just hate? Me, I don't like being asked what kind of music I listen to, because I never know how to answer. My taste in music is pretty scatter-shot, you see. I'll be listening to Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIbcqgXh5-4] one minute and Miss Moody [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua8I-PfKhMU] the next, and enjoy them both just as much.
When asked, say that.

I hate being asked what I've been up to. The answer is usually "fuck all."

The Night Angel

Dec 30, 2011
I'm a twin, so the two I hate are: "can you read each other's minds?" and when we are standing beside each other: "are you guys identical??" Surely they can decide for themselves, especially as we look nothing alike.

rubinigosa

Dec 2, 2010
I hate all questions that involve a name of any kind because I have a horribal memorie for names ( I could forget my own name).
Also questions about what I do on my free time, because I never know.
I might diced to take a walk or just sleep...I do not plan trivial things a head.
Almost forgot "how much do you study?","whats your favourit X?","say something in X"
last but not least..."Why do you not know?"

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Realitycrash said:
Well, it's not like you have to give them the world's most detailed and specific answer.

"Philosophy is a discipline dedicated to looking at and discussing the world's most fundamental problems and questions."

That's fairly simple and self-explanitory, it's not like you have to teach them the ideas of Confucious.

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
I always hate when people ask what I did yesterday/night/weekend because as an MMO player the answer is always the same so I just have to say nothing and hope they leave it at that.
I also hate when people ask what i'm going to do next day/weekend, not just because the answer is yet again nothing but who the frell has a detailed plan of everything they are gonna do, hours or even days later?

Also the small talk thing as above.

And I hated it when people asked 'Is <woman's name> hot?' at school. You'd think that was a subjective question... well you would be wrong. There is a right and wrong answer and if you get it wrong this happens;

"*pic* Is she hot?"
"No"
"GAAAAAAAAAY"

KiruTheMant

Nov 2, 2009
Living in Kansas, Religion is around me to my elbows, so I often get asked "Are you Protestant or Catholic?" and i'm neither, so trying to get out of the conversation without some of the communities more off members trying to convert me from Agnostic is tricky.

Sonicka

Jan 17, 2012
I hate being asked hobbies as well; I especially get weird looks when I'm nicely dressed (and by dressed I mean literally in a dress) and at a party or something and reply with "well I like playing video games". People seem to find it hard to believe that a socially-capable person can enjoy playing something more complex than Bejeweled.

Realitycrash said:
I study philosophy, but since it's rather hard to explain exactly what it is (and even harder for the majority of the population to even grasp the basics the first time they learn about it), I try to avoid answering. It gets tedious. And even when people (usually girls, for some reason) know about it, they answer "So you think alot, huh?".

I tend to stare off somewhere and answer a dry "Uhu.."
I'll hopefully be studying palaeobiology this year; when I tell most people this they end up halfway through a spiel about Rome before I inform them that palaeontology is more about really ancient animals than less ancient civilisations. Eventually I just go the "like Sam Neill in Jurassic Park" route to explain what I mean.

Realitycrash said:
Edit: Even worse is when guys ask, for when I answer, they tend to reply "So what will you do when you're done?", to which I reply "Be happy, I hope".
"Well, yeah, but what will you WORK with.." and I tend to lose and it inform them that having a high-paying job isn't what life revolves around.
I went to the Australian Musuem the other day and somehow managed to get into a conversation with some desk lady - a DESK LADY - who then asked me "So you like being poor?" when I told her what I want to be.
My reply was somewhat similar to yours except I nearly threw a taxidermied echidna at her for emphasis.

MrStab

Mar 24, 2011
This used to happen a lot when I was still at school. Just so you know I really enjoy reading and I hate it when people interrupt my reading.
"Are you okay, why are you over here reading?"
"I'm fine I enjoy reading"
"You should come over and hang out instead"
This would generally be followed by me finding very colourful variations of me asking them to go away and leave me in peace. People assume there must be something emotionally wrong with you if you don't spend every second of your free time in mid conversation.

[The]Rock

Jan 12, 2011
"Can I ask you a question?" and "What part of England are you from?"

Those two I hate.

The first one doesn't give you a choice, the second one because I only sound like I'm from dorset.

MikeCrick

Jan 4, 2011
*Person Sees my tattoo"

"Cool! Did it hurt?"

"No, having someone inject ink into my skin with various sharp needles for about an hour didn't hurt at all, it felt like sunshine and double fucking rainbows"

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Colour-Scientist said:
Realitycrash said:
Well, it's not like you have to give them the world's most detailed and specific answer.

"Philosophy is a discipline dedicated to looking at and discussing the world's most fundamental problems and questions."

That's fairly simple and self-explanitory, it's not like you have to teach them the ideas of Confucious.
Except that all too often people will hear "Philosophy is a discipline dedi- [DERP]"

Personal "favourite" would be split between "so, what are your hobbies?", and "what are you thinking? You're so quiet".

Answers are, respectively: "torturing people in my basement", and "I was just about to figure out the meaning of life, but then you interrupted". Idiots.

deckpunk

Apr 5, 2011
After tripping or falling over and some genius asks "Did you fall?"... No, I'm trying to break a bar of chocolate in my back pocket, of course I fell you gobshite.

The classic but nonetheless infuriating question of "Are you asleep?"... While they are trying to wake you up through nudging and poking. So yes I am awake NOW because you WOKE me up!

And finally "So you're not a morning person?" What gave me away?! The fact that I'm scowling into my coffee while trying to imagine how people take pleasure in those first ungodly hours of the morning. (I think the 'morning people' are actually some kind of vampire which feeds on the life essence or youth of children. To what end you must ask?... I'm not sure, but I am sure that their united purpose is nothing if not nefarious.)

Captain Booyah

Apr 19, 2010
"Are you going somewhere?"

NO.

Jesus, can't I put on something nicer than a pair of jeans and a t-shirt and NOT get quizzed about it? Just, for a day? Because that would be lovely. I'm not in a ballgown, I'm in actual trousers and heels and a blazer! IT DOES NOT EQUAL HIGH TEA! IS THIS WHAT SOCIETY HAS COME TO

*hyperventilates* adsknf/;oirnslk

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Kargathia said:
Except that all too often people will hear "Philosophy is a discipline dedi- [DERP]"
And that's a problem because..?
At its core that's what philosophy is. If someone has more of an interest then I'm sure anyone who studies it or has studied it would be able to answer more specific questions.