Quick Survey on Strategy Gaming.

El Danny

Dec 7, 2008
Strategy Gamers please could you spend two minutes to fill this out, I just need to do this for a piece of coursework.

1. What age group do you fall under?
Under 16 16-18 19-21 22-25 25-30 30-40 40-45 45+

2. How many hours a week do you spend playing strategy games?
Under 6 6-12 12+

3. Do you prefer graphics or game play?
Yes/no

3.5 Please explain your reasoning

4. How many strategy games do you own?
0 1-2 2-4 5-8 9+
5. Would you say multiplayer is a major selling point in the majority of strategy games?
Yes/no

6. How often do you use mods for strategy games?
Never Sometimes Often

7. Is a dedicated modding community a major selling point for you with strategy games?
Yes/no

7.5 Please explain your reasoning.

8. Is a dedicated modding community a major part of giving the sales of a strategy game a ?wide tail? (continue to sell)?

8.5 Please explain your reasoning.

9. Have you ever contributed to a modding team?

10. What kind of games would you like to see more of in the strategy game market?
Thank You in advance.

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011

Under 6 6-12 12+

I prefer good gameplay

3. Please explain your reasoning
Graphics are not as important to me in a stratedgy game, I would prefer it to have fun gameplay instead.

0 1-2 2-4 5-8 9+

5. Would you say multiplayer is a major selling point in the majority of strategy games?
No

Never Sometimes Often

7. Is a dedicated modding community a major selling point for you with strategy games?
No

I don't use mods as much on stratedgy games, usaully only for new units or maps.

8. Is a dedicated modding community a major part of giving the sales of a strategy game a ?wide tail? (continue to sell)?
No

For me at least, mods are not as important for a strategy game, I don't need or use them as much as I would for say a shooter or sandbox game.

No

10. What kind of games would you like to see more of in the strategy game market?
More Dawn of war games. I would also like more games with more unique resource collection ideas, for example the novus{I think, the robots anyway} in Universe at war: Earth assult.

AndrewF022

Jan 23, 2010
19-21

Under 6 (depends heavily on game releases though)

Gameplay over graphics.. but why can't we have both?

good graphics can't undo poor balancing and boring gameplay mechanics

9+

Yes, is more or less the only reason to play them.. In my eyes at least

Sometimes

No, Multi-player balance and enjoyable gameplay are my key 'must haves'

The only mods I ever use for Strategy games are graphical enhancing mods, and total conversion mods.

8. Is a dedicated modding community a major part of giving the sales of a strategy game a 'wide tail' (continue to sell)?
No, I think a dedicated multi-player player base is why Strategy games are resilient, much like FPS titles (such as Counter-Strike, Tribes, Quake etc)

Most RTS games in particular, live and die on their multi-player, if SC1 has no MP, it would not have still been relevant enough to make a sequel to only a couple of years back.

Not for a strategy game no.

New IP, particularly RTS titles with alternative resource gathering techniques (like what Company of Heroes did), and more Turn based strategy games akin to the Heroes of Might and Magic series, very enjoyable games and id like to see a studio tackle the same gameplay style in different ways.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012

Under 6 6-12 12+
(Depends on the week really. One week I can happily spend lots of time on games, only to not play at all for two more weeks.)

Yes/no
(I hope that means gameplay.)

Visuals are of little concern to me. I can play Quake 2 or Half-Life two with equal ease - the important part is the game to be fun. The visual presentation does add to that but it's only an extra - I can be happy to play a good game and if it looks good it only adds on to that, it's not part of the core experience.

0 1-2 2-4 5-8 9+

Yes/no

Never Sometimes Often

Yes/no

I like modding. I love games that have a good number of mods. However with strategy games I am not looking for mods. Sure, once or twice I might check one out but normally I don't really care one way or another.

No

A good strategy game can stand on its own pretty well. But modding is really helpful for any game, just not the first thing to look for in strategy.

No

Good ones. :) Well, I like Turn Based Strategies, I could go for a bit more of them.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
19-21

Under 6

Gameplay

A game can look beautiful and still play like a pile of poop.

2-4
Yes, not specifically for me but I'm sure it would be for a lot of people.

Never, I'm a console gamer.

No

Can't really use mods on console games.

I think it could be a contributing factor.

Good mods can greatly expand the longevity of a game.

No

I'd like to take part in the action more directly, as well as order my troops around.

AngleWyrm

Feb 2, 2009

Under 6 6-12 12+

Yes/no What?
This is not a yes or no question.

0 1-2 2-4 5-8 9+

Yes/no

Never Sometimes Often

Yes/no
Games that actually generate a modding community do so because they are interesting enough for players to want to make changes that improve it.

8. Is a dedicated modding community a major partcontributing factor of giving the sales of a strategy game a ?wide tail? (continue to sell)?
Yes.
They do contribute to it. I still play Diablo 2, exclusively because of the Eastern Suns mod. Vanilla D2 isn't worth repeating.

Yep. Did a couple mods for Master of Orion 3 and Space Empires IV.

I'de like to see a fusion of city building and space conquest that doesn't feel like sheer drudgery between end-of-turn button presses.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010

Under 6 6-12 12+

Gameplay.

In a large-scale strategy game, overdone graphics just leads to processor torture. That and im among those who believe that graphics should always take a backseat to gameplay.

No

Never Sometimes Often

No

When a game is good enough on its own it becomes worth the money i pay for it. It should not be i pay money for it then people make it a better game.

8. Is a dedicated modding community a major part of giving the sales of a strategy game a 'wide tail' (continue to sell)?
No.

I simply cnanot think of an instance where a game sold on merits of its modding community alone.

No.

Of the real-time variety. Thankfully theres been no shortage of those recently.

Xariat

Jan 30, 2011
16-18

Under 6 6-12 12+
under 6

game play.

Good game play can redeem bad graphics and aesthetics, good graphics and aesthetics can't redeem bad game play.

0 1-2 2-4 5-8 9+
5-8

No

almost never, used mods once.

No.

I enjoy my strategy games vanilla.

yes.

good mods often tend to expand the lifespan of games no matter the genre.

no.

Total war`ish from other eras

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
22-25

6-12 (I've got a bout of totalwaritis at the moment, usually it's less)

Gameplay. I don't care for graphics.

Well, graphics aren't really important. Art design is far more important than the quality of the graphics.

9+

No, for me it isn't. I never play strategy games online.

Never

No

See 6. I don't generally use mods. I prefer vanilla for any type of game.

For me, it isn't. For others, yes. Most definitely.

See 7.5. Strategy games don't sell on the modding community alone, but they can be important for continued enjoyment.

Yes, did a bit of modding for an Age of Mythology campaign.

More Total War style grand strategy.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
]1. What age group do you fall under?
19-21

12+

Gameplay

Although graphical inadequacy can be distracting if gameplay is needlessly complex or too simple, the game will not be fun to play.

9+
Yes

Sometimes

no

Mods are just a bonus, and I wouldn't get a game just because of a community.

No.

Modding seems to be something only a smaller portion of the community take part in as less computer literate users find it intimidating.

No.

I'm a big fan of isometric turn-based strategy.

51gunner

Jun 12, 2008
22-25
6-12

Gameplay

Games should always be about gameplay over graphics... if all you want is pretty visuals, you should maybe consider film as your choice of distractions.

9+

Yes. AI's are seldom a challenge when they play fair, so other human opponents are the only way to actually have a strategy battle.

Sometimes, assuming this means things like Starcraft Use Map Settings games.

No.

Having modders is nice to have, but not essential.

No.

People who are considering purchasing the game likely don't know about or probably aren't considering the mods.

No.

Some more unique game mechanics: you don't see a TON of new things in RTS. That's why games like Achron so intrigue me, and why I don't spare a passing moment for C&C any more.

Bato

Oct 18, 2009
19-21

Under 6

Gameplay

I don't care if I am controlling a sprite that looks like an anus.
As long as the gameplay is fun and it is clear what my little anus can do.
Else the experience just feels hollow.

9+

No
But it is a welcome plus.

Sometimes

Yes

The developers aren't infallible, there will be problems with AI that bright eyed modders can fix. Or just plain make the game harder.
Modding is also the lifeblood of any game that allows easy access of it.
People today are still buying Neverwinter Nights, Rome: Total War, Morrowind, and Half-Life 1. Ten years later.

Yes

They give new meaning to the game for each mod. Also see previous statement about Morrowind and friends.

Not for a strategy game, no.

More Games like Victoria.

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
19-21

12+

Gameplay 70%, graphics 30%.

I play strategy games for long periods of time and I dislike it if the visuals hurt my eyes.

Overall gameplay is more important however.

5-8
(atm, sold/lost some)

No

Sometimes

No

I have never downloaded a single mod for any civilization game but I still enjoy them immensely.

I would say that it is somewhat so.

From what I have seen, most fans of the strategy genre adore mods. I love mods as well but I do not actively seek them.

No, I do not have the necessary skills.

No comment, nothing comes to my head atm.

Apr 5, 2012
22-25

6-12

Game play

It can be the best looking game in the world, but if the game play is not there its a bad game. Just one that looks pretty.

9+
No

Sometimes

No

I have never had fast internet in my life so downloading things has always been a bit of a problem for me.

No

With out a dedicated installer, getting the damn things to work can be a bit of a challenge. Also some people just don't have the internet speeds to download large files.

Nope

Games like Crusader Kings II. Also the "old fashioned" Command and Conquer. The new Mount and Blade DLC Napoleonic Wars that adds FPS and large squad commanding is also cool.

CAPTCHA

Mushroom Camper
Sep 30, 2009
25-30

Can't answer with the options provided. Depends on what the latest game I've bought is.

Gameplay

Graphics are purly cosmetic and do not prevent me from experiencing the game as inteneded, unlike poor game balance, a shody UI, fluctuation difficulty, etc,

9+

no

Sometimes

no

Not everything needs to be modded.

I don't know?

???

Yes

Turn based games and boardgames.

Thank You in advance.[/quote]

Daymo

And how much is this Pub Club?
May 18, 2008
16-18

Under 6 6-12 depends if I'm into one at the moment or not, I play only 1-3 games at a time but play a lot of them.

gameplay

If the mechanics are solid i can play it no matter what it looks like, I brought the C&C first decade and the game i played the most out of it was Red Alert 2 because it was just so smooth and quick

9+

no

Sometimes not at all often though I've only modded 2 or 3 games
no

The only mods I've ever used have been large mods, skins and random short campagins I don't really play. Blizzard games are an exception to this though.

8. Is a dedicated modding community a major part of giving the sales of a strategy game a 'wide tail' (continue to sell)? No I wouldn't think so, most games I play I never mod, if anything it's the newer ones I have that I mod as it's easier to find them.

9. Have you ever contributed to a modding team? No

10. What kind of games would you like to see more of in the strategy game market? Games without a pop cap, something like supreme commander really should have no limit on the amount of units, but when you hit it, it's kind of jarring.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
22-25
Under 6
no
Graphics required for up to a certain point and the better graphics, the more enjoyable gaming. Gameplay still over everything else.
9+
No
Never
no
screw mods
no
nah
no
turn-based/massive/non-repeating

endnuen

Sep 20, 2010
Under 22-25

Under 6

Gameplay

Even the prettiest graphics is not enough if the gameplay is lacking-

5-8

Yes

Never

no

I often enjoy strategy online, thus mods can hinder that. If there is a very strong singleplayer I might consider it if it is somehow enhancing the experience.

Yes

when the online community moves on or dies down, it can keep the singleplayer fresh

no

4x, love space and Company of Heroes, more Company of Heroes!