"Quit Facebook Day" Flops

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
If it makes them feel any better, I wasn't on Facebook to begin with, which is the only reason why I didn't quit. :)

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
I prefer my own grassroots movement. Don't even join fucking facebook. We're small, but we get the job done by not joining every single day

bakonslayer

Apr 15, 2009
This is the same internal struggle that I have every day that I am on Facebook. As much as I worry about my information being exploited by the demons of Facebook, there is just too much interesting stuff on Facebook and if I left I would miss out on a lot of events, silly internet links, and pictures of other people's adventures, not to mention being able to hold the attention of all of my friends at once for twenty to thirty seconds at a time.

Either way, I have all of the privacy settings controlled to their minimums, that is just as safe as any condom. After that, I just don't care enough. I know very well that I can Google search myself into oblivion if I wanted.

Maybe I'll just go join Foursquare, that's gotta be safer. :p

Juven Ignus

Sep 10, 2009
Didn't know either, and I just made one today. Just to talk to a friend who's leaving the country for a while; nothing permanent so don't get mad at me guys.
*flameshield*

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Huh, didn't know about this, although I might have joined in if I had. Hell, I don't even use FB for socializing anymore, just to jot down some random thoughts every now and then...

Madshaw

Jun 18, 2008
If someone had face booked me about this thing i probabally would have done it.

and that really is some hard irony there

Evil the White

Apr 16, 2009
Well, its good saying you will quit Facebook to use the other alternatives, but the other alternatives are rubbish. The only thing that comes close is Myspcae, and it's so bright and gaudy with flashing animated advertisements it take to long to load anything.

sephiroth1991

Dec 3, 2009
I hardly use my Facebook, it was boreing to me. I hope one day Facebook has complete server crash loosing everones acconts.

Galad

Nov 4, 2009
There's also the simple fact that people really like Facebook and probably wouldn't quit anyway. Privacy is great, but give up FarmVille? Come on!
Following the March Madness, that line almost felt like trolling :p

Everin

Apr 15, 2009
did they even try to advertise this, or did they just think people would just find it, because we're not on facebook scrolling our whole lives.

Nemu

In my hand I hold a key...
Oct 14, 2009
Hell, I quit Facebook for 2 years, wasn't that difficult.

In fact, the only reason I started using mine again was to keep in touch with guildmates when I take breaks from my games. *shrug*

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Yeah, it would be good to spread the word. I never heard of it. Probably would have done this if I'd known.

ResiEvalJohn

Nov 23, 2009
I don't understand the big deal everyone makes about Facebook privacy. If you don't want people to know your address, phone number, and time of day you go to the bathroom, then don't list it! On my profile, there is nothing in my contact info except for the city I live in and some job details. If anyone wants to know anything else, they have to message me, or I have to trust them. It's all about personal responsibility, just use common sense and you'll be fine.

Hiroshi Mishima

Sep 25, 2008
I don't like how addictive Facebook is, but I gotta be honest.. without it, I'd never have reconnected with friends from High School (or simply my entire childhood) that I'd lost touch with over the years. So I wouldn't have wanted to quit for that simple reason.

Not that I knew anything about this. Besides one or two aps, and checking in with friends, I don't really use it all that much. I think MMO addiction is far worse.

Sir Bob

Jan 14, 2010
I like what facebook is at its very basics, a way to keep in touch with people you know from games that you no longer play, exchange students that went back to their home country, and sharing pictures with friends. However, I can't see why it can be so additive as some people claim, or the games on there are so enjoyable as others do..

So yeah.. their privacy policy is shit, and the way that you can't delete anything sucks as well, but I find the things FB does in ways of keeping in touch with people outweighs that.

swolf

May 3, 2010
Here's a thought, do not put anything on the internet that you wouldn't mind the ENTIRE WORLD to know. Seriously, with all the hacking, snooping, and everything else that goes on here in Internet World, why even take the risk? If you're going on vacation, post pictures and info about it after the fact. Also, check out the massive fail of Blippy.com. For those of you who don't know, it's basically a Twitter account for you credit/debit card. Seriously? That just spells trouble. Either by people learning your account information or knowing of an embarassing purchase you made after forgetting that you have that account open. Think of the internet like a house filled with cameras. Be smart about what you do when in this house because, odds are, people will know about it. Oh, and I have far better things to do than Farmville...like posting on Escapistmagazine.com threads.