Quit it: The Return

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
JaceArveduin said:
Well, they have killed off some, but you're right, the good guys always win. That's probably true for most media, especially crime investigation types.

I never really saw Abbey as a nerd myself. She was smart, but most of her quirks n stuff were from her goth side. The only really nerdy thing I can think of is the fact she's good with computers, and that one time she's stayin at McGee's and starts playing some FPS or something.
I never watched past the 5th ep of series 1, I give each series 5 eps to convince me its worth watching.

Never got the goth vibe from Abby, she seemed way to perky to be goth.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
008Zulu said:
I never watched past the 5th ep of series 1, I give each series 5 eps to convince me its worth watching.

Never got the goth vibe from Abby, she seemed way to perky to be goth.
It settles in a bit more as it goes on, she somehow manages to be goth and perky at the same time. It's probably due to her clothes n such. I like it, I don't watch it often though (mainly watched it after school with my grandparents so they wouldn't yell at me cause I wasn't visiting with them) I haven't actually seen an episode in... probably over a year by now.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
almostgold said:
Abbey in NCIS is hot? Huh. I've always gad he exact opposite thought.. am I in the minority on this one?
From what I've seen yes, but I'm with you on that. I wouldn't say she's particularly unattractive either, but definitely doesn't hold any appeal to me. I also don't particularly like the character, so that doesn't help.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Y'know, bacon wrapped pretzel M&Ms actually sound good.
Varya said:
You know what would be nice? A nerd that isn't a hacker/genius. I don't want to downplay us nerds, but while I'm smart and nerdy, all I can do with a computer is a reasonably good virus check and I only know two decimals of Pi. My only nerd power is that I know a little bit about lots of stuff.
Also this, I'm most certainly a nerd, but shove me in front of a computer and all you're gettin' out of me is a lot of crying and swearing.
Now shove me in front of a comic book, and hoo boy I can blow your mind with the amount of useless trivia I know.

algalon

Dec 6, 2010
How long until "Horror movie/remake set in the 70s" starts to get old? I'm seeing this a lot lately, where the way the movie producers decided to limit the characters' options was to place the setting in the past, when options were limited by technology. I don't go to a theater for a nostalgia trip - I go to see something new and amazing. This is why I never saw Super 8 and likely never will, and have no interest in The Artist. Quentin Tarantino can keep his grainy film and fake burnt reels. I want my movies in full THQ sound, high definition, digital, mastered, and color-corrected glory, with the gore splashing in my seat as I watch it in 3D of course.

Moeez

May 28, 2009
I've been ridiculously hyped for The Raid [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWlmhMSnVdM] since the trailer came out.

Apparently, it's coming out on 23rd March, 2012.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Basic scientific theory, Bob; Before you can use a term to explain something, you must define it.
So I challenge you, right here, right now, if you read this, to define "nerd", a phrase you love to throw around. I know, I know, it's a hard and slippery term, but I'm getting slightly fed up with people using it to describe anything (and anyone, themselves included) as the "alternative hip", compared to well..Anything that they dislike that's then by definition "mainstream".

Try to work it into an Intermission, will ya? Otherwise, love your work, cheers.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
WhiteTigerShiro said:
BrotherRool said:
I don't know how films are meant to get round the mobile phone thing nowadays though, although as a second point, is phone coverage really getting towards universal in the US? Because there are plenty of places where you can be unlikely to get signal in the UK and they're all in the sort of places where these films take place anyway
While 4G coverage tends to be spotty, I never don't have phone reception. Heck, even at my friend's cabin that's out in the middle of nowhere I get decent reception.
Fair enough, I can get spotty reception at home and the chance of me getting reception up a mountain tends to 0

sporkaganza

Apr 17, 2011
Bob, being "Hodgmanesque" can only be a good thing. If anyone can be described as a god among men it's probably him.

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
In Jason Statham's defence, simply growing up in the bits of London 'wot speak like he does' nowadays gives you experience in everything mentioned there but skydiving, and maybe bullet dodging, special forces training be damned

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Mmm, pretzel M&M's. Two great tastes that taste great together.

Anyway, what was I talking about? Oh right, the four tropes that need to go. Yeah, I basically agree with all those, even though I kind of like the 'no cell phone coverage' trope, partially because that one applies to me. I live in a lower area covered in trees, getting cell phones to work out here is nothing short than a 'you have a better chance to win the lottery' scenario.

Karma168

Nov 7, 2010
008Zulu said:
More than one show has the team of Ultraperfects (Bones, but I'm not being specific or anything). It's hard to be entertained when you know that they are always going to win with minimal fuss.
This probably sums up the thing that needs to die most in film/tv nerds - the skill to do absolutely anything within seconds with techniques that im pretty sure aren't actually possible.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Karma168 said:
This probably sums up the thing that needs to die most in film/tv nerds - the skill to do absolutely anything within seconds with techniques that im pretty sure aren't actually possible.
It's the greatest superpower of all, the power of Ass-hatery. I don't think the writers for t.v and movies know how to get around some of the problems they write themselves in to without resorting to its use.