Quit it: The Return

Aurora Firestorm

May 1, 2008
The Gentleman said:
My personal trope I want to get rid of:

Dogs are good/Cats are evil. Seriously, one Bond villain has a cat and suddenly all cats are evil. It's feline profiling, I tell you, nyaa.
I agree with this so much. Mice are good, dogs are good, cats are evil. What is the deal with people and hating on cats? Dogs smell like ass and slobber all over you, and cats don't hate everyone, that's just a stereotype.

Although going back to movies proper, his complaint about cell phone tropes is not entirely justified. In a world of technology, what else are you going to do to isolate Average Joe? It gets harder as we get more connected to the Big Global Electronic Consciousness that is the combination of the Internet and cell phones. You have to have his batteries die or his reception go out or something, because otherwise he has an instant plot device that no one is going to forgive you if he doesn't even try to use. You could have him forget it, but then it looks stupid, and it's not as tense as watching the guy frantically push buttons to no avail. There's no real answer to this problem, and alas, there never will be because our tech will keep getting better.