Quotes from fictional characters that made you stop and think or have stuck with you.

Denos

Mar 28, 2009
There's an infinite number of monkeys outside who want to talk to us about this script for Hamlet they've worked out.

Arthur: You're turning into a penguin. Stop it."
Ford:But that's not the point! The point is that I am now a perfectly safe penguin, and my colleague here is rapidly running out of limbs!"

He had found a Nutri-Matic machine which had provided him with a plastic cup filled with a liquid that was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea

-Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
Words I quote the most: "If it doesn't matter in five years, then it doesn't matter" - Cher

Favorite quote: "We've got a date with destiny, and it looks like she's ordered the lobster." - The Shoveler

Shinkicker444

Dec 6, 2011
"Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn." - Alfred, Batman.

"Haste makes waste, so I rarely hurry." - Cheshire Cat, AMA.

"Every picture tells a story, sometimes we don't like the ending... sometimes we don't understand it." - Cheshire Cat, A:MR

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
"I'm sorry but I don't want to be an Emperor, that's not my business. I don't want to rule or conquer anyone. I should like to help everyone if possible, Jew, gentile, black man, white. We all want to help one another, human beings are like that. We all want to live by each other's happiness, not by each other's misery. We don't want to hate and despise one another. In this world there is room for everyone and the earth is rich and can provide for everyone.
The way of life can be free and beautiful. But we have lost the way.

Greed has poisoned men's souls, has barricaded the world with hate;
has goose-stepped us into misery and bloodshed.

We have developed speed but we have shut ourselves in:
machinery that gives abundance has left us in want.
Our knowledge has made us cynical,
our cleverness hard and unkind.
We think too much and feel too little:
More than machinery we need humanity;
More than cleverness we need kindness and gentleness.

Without these qualities, life will be violent and all will be lost.

The aeroplane and the radio have brought us closer together. The very nature of these inventions cries out for the goodness in men, cries out for universal brotherhood for the unity of us all. Even now my voice is reaching millions throughout the world, millions of despairing men, women and little children, victims of a system that makes men torture and imprison innocent people. To those who can hear me I say "Do not despair".

The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of greed, the bitterness of men who fear the way of human progress: the hate of men will pass and dictators die and the power they took from the people, will return to the people and so long as men die [now] liberty will never perish. . .

Soldiers: don't give yourselves to brutes, men who despise you and enslave you, who regiment your lives, tell you what to do, what to think and what to feel, who drill you, diet you, treat you as cattle, as cannon fodder.

Don't give yourselves to these unnatural men, machine men, with machine minds and machine hearts. You are not machines. You are not cattle. You are men. You have the love of humanity in your hearts. You don't hate, only the unloved hate. Only the unloved and the unnatural. Soldiers: don't fight for slavery, fight for liberty.

In the seventeenth chapter of Saint Luke it is written:
"The kingdom of God is within man"
Not one man, nor a group of men, but in all men; in you, the people.

You the people have the power, the power to create machines, the power to create happiness. You the people have the power to make life free and beautiful, to make this life a wonderful adventure. Then in the name of democracy let's use that power, let us all unite. Let us fight for a new world, a decent world that will give men a chance to work, that will give you the future and old age and security. By the promise of these things, brutes have risen to power, but they lie. They do not fulfil their promise, they never will. Dictators free themselves but they enslave the people. Now let us fight to fulfil that promise. Let us fight to free the world, to do away with national barriers, do away with greed, with hate and intolerance. Let us fight for a world of reason, a world where science and progress will lead to all men's happiness.

Soldiers! In the name of democracy, let us all unite!

Look up! Look up! The clouds are lifting, the sun is breaking through. We are coming out of the darkness into the light. We are coming into a new world. A kind new world where men will rise above their hate and brutality.

The soul of man has been given wings, and at last he is beginning to fly. He is flying into the rainbow, into the light of hope, into the future, that glorious future that belongs to you, to me and to all of us. Look up. Look up."

-Charlie Chapman's character in the Great Dictator

The Greatest Speech of All Time.

Saxm13

Feb 22, 2010
"Hope is what makes us strong! Keeps us going! It's what we fight with when all else is lost." - Pandora, GoW3

"My friends are my power!"
- Sora,KH1

"I will not say do not weep, for not all tears are an evil."
- Gandalf, Return of the King

"You have all the weapons you need. Now fight."
-Sweet Pea, Sucker Punch

"Friendship isn't always easy, but no doubt it's worth fighting for!"
-Twilight Sparkle, MLP FiM

Pretty much anything Legion says from Mass Effect.

Just to name a few...

dumbseizure

Mar 15, 2009
Probably the two that have stuck with me the most are both from animes.

Aion (Chrono Crusade): Even at a time like this there's not a single word of rescue from the one you worship. You see? That is the truth of this world. He doesn't watch anything and doesn't save anyone

and

Zechs (Gundam Wing): If one makes a decision with a cool head, he won't find himself regretting that decision later on.

Both of those are quotes that have really stuck with me, and definitely try to follow the second one all the time.

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
"My heart was fashioned to be susceptible of love and sympathy, and when wrenched by misery to vice and hatred, it did not endure the violence of the change without torture such as you cannot even imagine."
- Frankenstein

Perfectly encapsulates why I think a lot of people love the tragic hero/villain.

Trillovinum

Dec 15, 2010
Anti Nudist Cupcake said:
There is the one reaper destroyer that you speak to on Rannoch.
Ah yes I forgot about that... (I guess it's just a testament to how memorable that conversation was)

Lug100

Sep 2, 2011
"If I win, I'm a prodigy. If I lose then I'm mad. That's the way history is written."

"I didn't trust Fowl when he was alive, and I definitely don't trust him now that he's dead."

"I never tell anybody exactly how clever I am. They would be too scared."

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
I know it's kinda tacky but the final line from the American version of Queer as Folk has always stuck with me as being totally awesome:

"So the thumpa-thumpa continues. It always will, no matter what happens, no matter who's President. As Our Lady of Disco, the Divine Miss Gloria Gaynor, has always sung to us, 'We will survive.'"

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
I love lamp.

Where'd you get your clothes from, the toilet store?

I'd like to invite you to the pants party.

The many wise words of Brick Tamland.

Vuliev

Jul 19, 2011
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." -Salvor Hardin, Foundation

IMO, it's completely true, and I've tried to take it as much to heart as possible.

thespyisdead

Jan 25, 2010
"Life is pain; get over it"
-UT2004 taunt

life is indeed pain, but how one handles that pain determines who we are...

DanielDeFig

Oct 22, 2009
"God's an imaginary friend for grown-ups."

-Walter Crewes, The Big Bounce

"Doors are for people with no imagination."

Skullduggery Pleasant

TheTJackson

Aug 29, 2011
"Stephanie Edgley: Mr Pleasant, you're a skeleton.

Skulduggery Pleasant: Ah, yes, back to the crux of the matter. Yes. I am, as you say, a skeleton. I have been one for a few years now.

Stephanie Edgley: Am I going mad?

Skulduggery Pleasant: I hope not.

Stephanie Edgley: So you're real? You actually exist?

Skulduggery Pleasant: Presumably.

Stephanie Edgley: You mean you're not sure if you exist or not?

Skulduggery Pleasant: I'm fairly certain. I mean, I could be wrong, I could be some ghastly hllucination, a figment of my imagination.

Stephanie Edgley: You might be a figment of your own imagination?

Skulduggery Pleasant: Stranger things have happened. And do, with alarming regularity"

sigma2

Nov 18, 2009
"Stir, Whip, Stir, Whip, Whip, Whip, Stir, WAAAHHH!"
-Crazy Cooking Lady, Star Wars Holiday Special

"Go home and be a family man!"
-Guile, Street Fighter Series

Okay, now in all seriousness...

"Man will eventually begin to fight again. For peace... for righteousness... Man will continue to find ways to justify fighting. I've come to understand that nothing can come of this world... but an empty miserable future...!"
-DAN-000:Albert, Megaman Series