Quotes from fictional characters that made you stop and think or have stuck with you.

Sanat

Apr 7, 2012
[Everything] - Halo 2

I can't help it, I just love(d) that game so much.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
GamerAddict7796 said:
"I am alpha and omega, the beginning and the end, I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely." - Dad from Fallout 3
Don't you mean the Book of Revelations haha?

I do dig Thucydides' 'The strong do what they will, and the weak suffer what they must.' from the Melian Dialogue. Mostly because it's one of the earliest descriptions of power structures and still stands as a valid interpretation of modern society (all societies really).

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Mass Effect Series

Commander Shepard: You deserve better tali.
Tali: I got better Shepard, I got you.

Harry Dresden
?Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.?

Doctor Who
Mind you, I quite like hope. Hope's a good emotion. And here it comes.
Look at these people, these human beings. Consider their potential! From the day they arrive on the planet, blinking, step into the sun, there is more to see than can ever be seen, more to do than? no, hold on. Sorry, that's The Lion King. But the point still stands

Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Just a scratch, fly boy. But I think...I think your on your own now.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Epictank of Wintown said:
"Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn."

-Alfred Pennyworth to Bruce Wayne

These are just a few. I'm sure I'll remember more.
First, I love both of those films. Second, I read that unsnipped portion out loud and gave myself chills. Michael Caine delivered that last line perfectly.

Captcha: narrow-minded. What are you trying to say, Captcha? Jeez, it's resorting to insults now.

Edit: Oh, crap, right, OT:

"Metal Gear!?!?"

Second Edit:

"Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired."

"Those of you helping us test the repulsion gel today, just follow the blue line on the floor. Those of you who volunteered to be injected with praying mantis DNA, I've got some good news and some bad news: bad news is we're postponing those tests indefinitely. Good news is we've got a much better test for you: fighting an army of mantis men. Pick up a rifle and follow the yellow line. You'll know when the test starts.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Logic 0

Aug 28, 2009
"A man chooses, a slave obeys" -Andrew Ryan

That line is something I think whenever I make a choice.

Comma-Kazie

Sep 2, 2009
"Does this unit have a soul?" -Legion, Mass Effect 3

"Are we more than our thoughts?" -EDI, ditto.

Hawkeye21

Oct 25, 2011
From "The Gathering Storm" by Jordan/Sanderson:

"I'm going to die at the end of this," Rand said. "And I have no choice."

Tam stood up straight, frowning. In an instant, Rand felt that he was twelve years old again. "I won't have talk like that," Tam said. "Even if you're the Dragon Reborn, I won't listen to it. You always have a choice. Maybe you can't pick where you are forced to go, but you still have a choice."

"But how?"

Tam laid a hand on Rand's shoulder. "The choice isn't always about what you do, son, but why you do it. When I was a soldier, there were some men who fought simply for the money. There were others who fought for loyalty?loyalty to their comrades, or to the crown, or to whatever. The soldier who dies for money and the soldier who dies for loyalty are both dead, but there's a difference between them. One death meant something. The other didn't."

This gets me thinking every time.

Robertus2210

Apr 8, 2010
''Through the history of the human race what emotion has ever been so worthy and true as depthless anger''

''In rage anything is justified it's the highest state of sentience, with rage comes vindication and with vindication comes peace''

I feel as if i should be able find fault in a line of thinking as those sentences, But honostly they sound more true and logical to me then almost anything else.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
"I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar." Hoban Washburn, serenity.

Always struck me as talking about more, about life.

Rikkano

May 29, 2011
I just watched Eragon with my littlebrother the other day. and Broms "I'd rather ask forgiveness than premission" is one that stuck with me.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
Tarkus: The man who has nothing can still have faith.

I often mock Warhammer40K but Tarkus made me think a bit.
As terrible as life gets, and as dark as reality seems, even at your lowest just believing in SOMETHING can help you.

Whether its the God-Emperor, or just someone you care about, or a cause you follow.
People often mock faith, but I honestly feel like if you dont believe in something than you are not going to really care or feel for anything.

Then again I just like Tarkus and he is one of my favourite WH40K characters.

Arrogancy

Jun 9, 2009
"What does it mean to conquer the world? Do you have to be the richest one, the smartest one, to beat everyone in a fight? Or maybe there is no way to do it. No one could have tried harder than I have. Haven't I already fought a hundred battles and lost every one?...Two minutes. Yes, this could be a bigger problem than I thought. Nontrivial, I see that now. What do you do when your lab explodes, lacing your body with supercharged elixer? You don't just sit there, you get up, crawling out of the rubble, horribly scarred and swearing vengeance. You keep going. You keep trying to take over the world."

-Dr. Impossible: 'Soon I will be Invincible' by Austin Grossman.

This is the ultimate monument to perseverance. You can't read this book and not be somehow inspired by this paragraph.

Also, anything Andrew Ryan from Bioshock said, ever. There are others, but this was the one that came first to mind.

Phantomess

Sep 19, 2009
There's a few.

"Stand before your God, bow before your King, kneel before your man" - Nanny Ogg.

"Love is a psychopath." - from the miniseries Jekyll, but I can't remember who said it.

"So long and thanks for all the fish!" - Dolphins, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

ToffeeMC

Nov 12, 2011
"Winter is Coming, soon be cardigan weather"-Simon, Yogpod no.37
This quote has taught me about dressing suitably

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
"Whenever I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead."
-Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

This line has now become my life motto, when I heard it a few days prior. It just... works.

TheTim

Jan 23, 2010
"A man lives for what he is willing to die for"- Some dude in Skyrim, can't remember the name though.

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
"Swooping is bad."-Alistair, Dragon Age: Origins

A life defining phrase.

Kataskopo

Dec 18, 2009
n00dle37 said:
There are many sorts of outlaws, just as there are many sorts of birds. A sandpiper and a sea eagle both have wings, but they are not the same. The singers love to sing of good men forced to go outside the law to fight some wicked lord, but most outlaws are more like this ravening Hound than they are the lightning lord. They are evil men, driven by greed, soured by malice, despising the gods and caring only for themselves.

Broken men are more deserving of our pity, though they may be just as dangerous. Almost all are common-born, simple folk who had never been more than a mile from the house where they were born until the day some lord came round to take them off to war. Poorly shod and poorly clad, they march away beneath his banners, ofttimes with no better arms than a sickle or a sharpened hoe, or a maul they made themselves by lashing a stone to a stick with strips of hide. Brothers march with brothers, sons with fathers, friends with friends. They've heard the songs and stories, so they go off with eager hearts, dreaming of the wonders they will see, of the wealth and glory they will win. War seems a fine adventure, the greatest most of them will ever know.

Then they get a taste of battle.

For some, that one taste is enough to break them. Others go on for years, until they lose count of all the battles they have fought in, but even a man who has survived a hundred fights can break in his hundred-and-first. Brothers watch their brothers die, fathers lose their sons, friends see their friends trying to hold their entrails in after they've been gutted by an axe.

They see the lord who led them there cut down, and some other lord shouts that they are his now. They take a wound, and when that's still half-healed they take another. There is never enough to eat, their shoes fall to pieces from the marching, their clothes are torn and rotting, and half of them are shitting in their breeches from drinking bad water.

If they want new boots or a warmer cloak or maybe a rusted iron halfhelm, they need to take them from a corpse, and before long they are stealing from the living too, from the smallfolk whose lands they're fighting in, men very like the men they used to be. They slaughter their sheep and steal their chickens, and from there it's just a short step to carrying off their daughters too. And one day they look around and realize all their friends and kin are gone, that they are fighting beside strangers beneath a banner that they hardly recognize.

They don't know where they are or how to get back home and the lord they're fighting for does not know their names, yet here he comes, shouting for them to form up, to make a line with their spears and scythes and sharpened hoes, to stand their ground. And the knights come down on them, faceless men clad all in steel, and the iron thunder of their charge seems to fill the world ?

And the man breaks.

- Septon Meribald ( A Feast for Crows)

A bit long but to good to miss out.

I just finished reading this book, and I'm still on the "Game of Thrones" rush. What a great quote about war and the pointlessness about it.

I have a .txt file where I put all the quotes or paragraphs I like. Some examples:

?Naturally the common people don't want war; neither in Russia, nor in England, nor in America, nor in Germany. That is understood. But after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country.?

-Hermann Goering

"Characters surprise you, and sometimes they go places you never imagined.
I specifically remember trying to write a story about a gay main character.
Unfortunately, I discovered that the character was straight."

Somewhere on TVTropes.

"... he who kills a man, kills a reasonable creature, god's image; but he who destroys a good book, kills
reason itself, kills the image of god as it were, in the eye."

From an Extra Creditz episode.

The Rainmaker

Jun 21, 2009
"Use the force, Harry" - Gandalf

In all seriousness, a quote that I haven't been able to get out of my head since I read it is "It is the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more." Wise words indeed, Dumbledore. Strangely comforting.