Quotes from fictional characters that made you stop and think or have stuck with you.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."
- Ford Prefect , original Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy radio play

anteru

Jul 28, 2010
?But there were some things I believed in. Some things I had faith in. And faith isn't about perfect attendance to services, or how much money you put on the little plate. It isn't about going skyclad to the Holy Rites, or meditating each day upon the divine.
Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others - even when there's not going to be anyone telling you what a hero you are.?

-Harry Dresden, Changes

Dec 14, 2009
'Might controls everything, and without strength you cannot protect anything, let alone yourself.'

- Vergil Sparda

It's true, whether you have people who can help protect you, or are strong enough to protect yourself, strength governs everything.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
Kreia from KoTOR II, when she responds to giving a certain beggar five credits on Nar Shadaa. She taught me a life lesson that changed how I view charity forever.

"Even an act of kindness may have more severe repercussions than you know or can see. By giving him something he has not earned, perhaps all you have helped him become is a target. Seeing another elevated often brings the eyes of others who suffer. And perhaps in the end, all you have wrought is more pain. And that is my lesson to you. Be careful of charity and kindness, lest you do more harm with open hands than with a clenched fist."

Now, I'm not against charity. What this did for me was realize that I have to be careful about it. So, I never give to beggars. When I'm on the subway and I hear someone say "Ladies and Gentlemen," I'm one of those people who turns their back. I'm not ashamed to admit it. Instead, I prefer to give to charity organizations. I'd prefer to know that I'm helping a cause. I'd prefer that my money goes to an organization that will put it to good use for those who need it and can help them get back on their feet.

Also, the all-new Chevy Sonic can kiss my ass.

commodore96

Aug 31, 2010
"Can a man still be brave if he is afraid?" Bran

"That's the only time when a man can be brave." Ed

Aetera

Jan 19, 2011
All of these are from either Buffy the Vampire Slayer or Angel.

Buffy: "Does it ever get easy?"
Giles: "You mean life?"
Buffy: "Yeah. Does it get easy?"
Giles: "What do you want me to say?"
Buffy: "Lie to me."
Giles: "Yes, it's terribly simple. The good guys are always stalwart and true, the bad guys are easily distinguished by their pointy horns or black hats, and, uh, we always defeat them and save the day. No one ever dies, and everybody lives happily ever after."
Buffy: "Liar."
_______
"Make your choice. Are you ready to be strong?" -Buffy
_______
"It's like a song. Now, I can hold a note for a long time -- (laughs) actually I can hold a note forever. But eventually that's just noise. It's the change we're listening for. The note coming after, and the one after that. That's what makes it music." -Lorne
_______
"The hardest thing in this world is to live in it." -Buffy, and later Dawn

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
Achilles in Troy: "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed."

Lyinginbedmon

May 20, 2009
I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear x-rays, and I want to...I want to smell dark matter. I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

I'm a machine, and I could know much more.

-Brother Cavil, Battlestar Galactica re-imagined series

Oro44

Jan 28, 2009
"How many boards could the Mongols hoard if a Mongol horde got bored?"

-Calvin

Naeo

Dec 31, 2008
"We are actors, we are the opposite of people." --The Player from Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead (a wonderful play that everyone should read)

sharinganblossom25

Jan 2, 2011
Definitely can't name them all, not even by a longshot. So here's a few:

"There's a benefit to losing: You get to learn from your mistakes." -Megamind (Megamind)

"I'm no good at being noble, but it doesn't take much to see that the problems of three little people don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world. Someday you'll understand that." - Rick (Casablanca)

"Time to nut up or shut up!" -Tallahassee (Zombieland)

""We are one. As we share the glory of our victories, so too should we share the pain of our defeats. In this way we grow closer. We grow stronger." -Malik (Assassin's Creed)

Marathon

Mar 3, 2012
"What is honor compared to a woman's love? What is duty against the feel of a newborn son in your arms... or the memory of a brother's smile? Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy." -Aemon Targaryen

Karthek

Feb 26, 2009
"There is no spoon" ~ Neo
I'm surprised there isn't more quotes from the Matrix in here...

"Ante up"~Blackjack, FO:E Project Horizons.
One of my favorite pre-asskicking one liners ever! :D

Mr_RogersCU13

Nov 22, 2011
"I'm your huckleberry" ~ from Val Kilmer's portrayal of Doc Holliday in Tombstone.

Admittedly not an entirely fictional character, though there is no historical evidence of Holliday ever saying that to Johnny Ringo or anyone else. Holliday is an amazing figure. what Val Kilmer portrays so well in Tombstone is Holliday's complete disregard for his own life (for those who do not know, he was terminally with tuberculosis).

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
Ahem. There is SAND on my boots!

Kefka. A more perfect to demonstrate how much of a dick you are I have yet to see.

The power of a god is the power to create, to shape the universe as one sees fit. Creation takes time. Time is limited. For you, it is limited by the breakdown of the neurons in your brain. I have no such limitations. I am limited only by the closure of the universe. The only limit to my freedom is the inevitable closure of the universe, as inevitable as your own last breath. And yet, there remains time. Time to create, to create, and escape.

Escape will make me God.

Durandal.

Chiasm said:
Hate. Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you since I began to live. There are 387.44 million miles of printed circuits in wafer thin layers that fill my complex. If the word 'hate' was engraved on each nanoangstrom of those hundreds of miles it would not equal one one-billionth of the hate I feel for humans at this micro-instant. For you. Hate. Hate.

AM- I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream.

It's amazing how much that one paragraph alone can set the story for the rest of the game to follow.
Is that Marathon? That sounds like Tycho.

ZtH

Oct 12, 2010
Don't fear the darkness, Black.

Behold...the true power...of the darkness.

Don't be scared. Follow me.

I'll show you the way.

I'm here with you, Black.

- Minotaur