Quotes from fictional characters that made you stop and think or have stuck with you.

meepop

Aug 18, 2009
"A lawyer doesn't cry until it's all over"
- Phoenix Wright (Because I do want to be a lawyer, if something ever stresses me out to the point of just welling up, I think of this)

"I have no idea!"
- The Medic, TF2, after Heavy asks if he is sure the first Ubercharge will work.

"If you can dodge (Traffic/a wrench), you can dodge a ball!"
- Patches O' Houlihan, Dodgeball

I probably have more but can't think of them. Will edit if I think of more.

DeadYorick

Jan 13, 2011
?Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.? ― G.K. Chesterton

Not really a fictional character but it's about fiction

Triangulon

Nov 20, 2009
"You pigs, you. You goof like pigs, is all. You got the most in you and you use the least. You hear me, you? Got a million in you and spend pennies. Got a genius in you and think crazies. Got a heart in you and feel empties. All a you."

- Gully Foyle, The Stars My Destination (Alfred Bester)

JaceArveduin said:
Theoden's speech on the Fields of Pelennor
Better in the book.

"Arise, arise, Riders of Theoden! Fell deeds awake: fire and slaughter! Spear shall be shaken, shield be splintered, a sword-day, a red day, ere the sun rises! Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor!" - Theoden

"Out of doubt, out of dark to the day's rising I came singing in the sun, sword unsheathing. To hope's end I rode and to heart's breaking: Now for wrath, now for ruin and red nightfall!" - Eomer

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
"The way of unarmed combat says; Do not be unarmed." - Shas'O, Dawn of War II

"The day he stops smiling is the day we remember his smile." - After-Level message, Killer7

"Our game is a long game. We do not plan for the next year, or the next ten years, or the next budget cycle. We plan for eternity." - Warrior Empire, Spore

"The man who has nothing can still have faith." - Tarkus, Dawn of War II

"They said I was mad to build it (this castle) in the middle of a swamp and, well, looks like they were right." - Vlad,Magicka

umerwaqas

Apr 10, 2012
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
As mainframe experts, MOST?s business is solidly in this camp. Our staff of technical and business mavens and our projects and products are all mainframe-centered. You can rest assured that our knowledge and experience will help you achieve success.
visit most technologies [http://www.mosttechnologies.com/mainframes]
Arthur C. Clarke

KingCrInuYasha

Jan 17, 2011
"It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen." - Alex, A Clockwork Orange

Beavis: Hey, Butthead, what did people do before they had TV?
Butthead: Don't be stupid, Beavis, there's always been TV. There's just more channels now.

And yes, this next one is from a Matrix sequel, but it had so much potential:

Smith: Why, Mr. Anderson? Why do you do it? Why get up? Why keep fighting? Do you believe you're fighting for something? For more than your survival? Can you tell me what it is? Do you even know? Is it freedom? Or truth? Perhaps peace? Could it be for love? Illusions, Mr. Anderson. Vagaries of perception. Temporary constructs of a feeble human intellect trying desperately to justify an existence that is without meaning or purpose. And all of them as artificial as the Matrix itself. Although only a human mind could invent something as insipid as love. You must be able to see it, Mr. Anderson. You must know it by now. You can't win. It's pointless to keep fighting. Why, Mr. Anderson, Why? Why do you persist?
Neo: Because I choose to.

Eisenfaust

Two horses in a man costume
Apr 20, 2009
Samson: And so it was until the day that a false sun exploded over Trinity, and man forever traded away wonder for reason.

Paarthurnax: What is better? To be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?

Wolcott: Past hope. Past kindness or consideration. Past Justice. Past satisfaction. Past warmth, or cold or comfort. Past love. But past surprise? What an endlessly unfolding tedium life would then become. No, Doris, we must not let you be past surprise.

Visas: As my feet walk from the ashes..., I shall not fear, for in fear, lies death.

And, of course:

HK-47: Explanation: It's just that... you have all these squishy parts, master. And all that water! How the constant sloshing doesn't drive you mad, I have no idea...

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
The whole ending of EOE movie and matrix.
It makes me a bit more distant from life in general, which is sometimes good because you dont takes every little thing too seriously.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
"Unless someone cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better, it's not." - The Lorax

"When did ignorance become a point of view?"- Dilbert

"Extremism makes things so inconvenient."- Opus the Penguin

"The only thing more pathetic than Indians on TV are Indians watching Indians on TV." - from the movie "Smoke Signals."

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
"From the great deep to the great deep we go"
- Merlin in Tennyson's Idylls of the King

This wast the first characterization of death, the afterlife, and the pre-life that ever really made sense to me and calmed me down. We're just going back to wherever we came from before we were born, and if it wasn't that bad to come from, it won't be so bad to go back to it.

A couple more I like:

"That was their way, their heathenish hope;
deep in their hearts they remembered hell."
- Beowulf

"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."
- Yoda

Of course Socrates has some amazing quotes, though whether he counts as a historical figure or fictional character is very much a matter up for debate.

EDIT: Also, anything Douglas Adams ever wrote. That guy is a genius.

Rastien

Pro Misinformationalist
Jun 22, 2011
'Do you like hurting people?'

A line from hotline miami asked to you after caking a buildings walls with the blood of your victims and feeling like a lot of a bad ass in doing so. This line is very sobering and made me take my hands off the keyboard and admit to myself i really did just enjoy this horrific acts i committed.