Quotes that just stick with you

Oct 10, 2011
Someone already said this, but it is a very powerful quote to me.

"Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

I think about this all the time. I always strive to love everyone, and never to hate. Sometimes I get angry, but I don't let those feelings last. After all, as the Beatles say, "All you need is love"[footnote]Two quotes for one, there.[/footnote]

And I have another quote that has stuck with me, although I don't know it exactly nor do I know the author.

"Live a good life, and strive to do good. If there is no god, you still have lived a good life. If there is a just god, you shall be rewarded. If there is an unjust god, you would not have wanted to serve it."

This single quote sums up my philosophy as an Agnostic. I don't know what god is true, if any, but neither does it matter to me. I would live my life the same even if I was absolutely certain one way or another.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
"We weep for the blood of a bird, but not for the blood of a fish. Blessed are those with a voice." From Ghost in the Machine

jamail77

May 21, 2011
Well, I have a gigantic list of such quotes, a good chunk of which most of you stole! *grumble grumble* I'll scrounge up what I can even if they don't all fall into the 3 example reasons you thought of OP:

"That THERE [accent] is a hydroelectric plant" - Joel (The Last of Us)
What can I say? It came off funnily to me.

"What are you doing?" - Iroh
"I--I'm mugging you!" - Mugger
"With that stance? - Iroh
(Avatar: The Last Airbender)

"The person who agrees with you 80 percent of the time is a friend and an ally - not a 20 percent traitor." - Ronald Reagan (Said as chastisement to his staff for canceling an opponent's meeting with him, then Governor Reagan.)

"I've started a drinking game. Every time people use the term plot hole wrong, take a shot."- TheFirefox( http://www.gamespot.com/heavy-rain/forum/top-15-heavy-rain-plot-holes-53753623/)
Seriously. So widely misused.

"A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths." -Steven Wright
I know nothing about this guy and I doubt he meant this in the way it made me think. Still, things that tower over you aren't as scary to me as things with wide reach. The latter exerts power across the board versus the former's narrow field, supported mainly by intimidating stature rather than intimidating reality.

?Discussion is an exchange of knowledge; an argument an exchange of ignorance.?-Robert Quillen

"It's for the good of everyone."- Xion
"But how do you know that? Everybody THINKS they're right! - Axel (Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days)

"If I'm going to have a past I prefer it to be multiple choice!" - Joker (The Killing Joke)
I probably should try not to include more quotes from things I haven't read and people I don't actually know that well, haha.

"The arc of science is long, and it bends toward accuracy"- Jeffrey Weiss (http://www.realclearreligion.org/articles/2011/11/16/the_truth_about_fraudulent_scientists.html)

"We live in a scientific age, yet we assume that knowledge of science is the prerogative of only a small number of human beings, isolated and priest-like in their laboratories. This is not true. The materials of science are the materials of life itself. Science is part of the reality of living; it is the way, the how and the why for everything in our experience."- Rachel Carson

"We live in a society absolutely dependent on science and technology and yet have cleverly arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. That's a clear prescription for disaster" - Carl Sagan

"Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less."- Marie Curie

"You can tell if you're becoming an adult by how much your email count increases by" - Me
Let me indulge myself.

?Tell me and I forget.
Teach me and I remember.
Involve me and I learn.? - Ben Franklin

"One thing nothing can destroy is our pride deep inside. We are one." -Simba (Lion King II)

I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to do good. - Thomas Paine

?Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?? - Juvenal (I think the original source is unknown but he is believed most likely)

"The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane."-Nikola Telsa

"If you see something that's not possible, make it possible. If not now, then when? If not me, then who?"- Mick Ebeling

"We must accept finite disappointment but never lose infinite hope? - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Whatever doesn't kill you...will probably try again" - No idea

?I would request that my body in death be buried not cremated, so that the energy content contained within it gets returned to the earth, so that flora and fauna can dine upon it, just as I have dined upon flora and fauna during my lifetime?- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Optime Prime -
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."
"One shall stand, one shall fall."
"Till all are one."

Yeah I grew up watching Transformers G1 as a kid.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
I've got a few that've stuck with me through the years.

1. "I have thought some of nature?s journeymen had made men and not made them well for they imitated humanity so abominably."

- Shakespeare

I'm not sure why, but that one's stuck in my mental craw. There's just something so elegant about the idea of nature having extensions of its will responsible for the creation of certain creatures/elements...and they sucked at making us.

2. "We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent. I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita; Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and, to impress him, takes on his multi-armed form and says, "Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." I suppose we all thought that, one way or another."

- Robert Oppenheimer

What's there to say, really? ...It's quite literally a man recounting the moment he and his coworkers put a gun to humanity's head.

3. "There's a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart, that you can't take part! You can't even passively take part! And you've got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels?upon the levers, upon all the apparatus, and you've got to make it stop! And you've got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you're free, the machine will be prevented from working at all!"

- Mario Savio

It's a damned war cry for the middle and lower class.

Annnd...a few others that, ironically, I'm having trouble recalling right at this moment, specifically because I'm trying to remember them. -.-

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
"The Solarian Navy Ships made it all the way out here? I surprised the engine room's hamsters had it in 'em!" -Rafael Cardones, Captain Royal Manicoran Navy just before the Second Battle of Manticore in "A Rising Thunder" (Honor Harrington Vol. 12) by David Weber.

I'm sure that's misquoted, but it's close.

TechNoFear

Mar 22, 2009
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."
George Best

"Jesus saves but only Buddha makes incremental backups."
Anon

RariShyZealot

May 31, 2011
"An open mind is like a fortress with its gates un-barred and unguarded."
-Thought for the day, Warhammer 40.000

And I don't quite remember this one, so I'll wing it:

"History is not the desperate struggle of a faltering flicker of light to stay alight in a crushing sea of darkness, it is the futile attempt of an unending sea of evil and cruelty to stamp out that last shining bastion of good."
-Anonymous

"You. Can't. Have. Her. If you're lonely, find your own marefriend! Rarity is taken!
Taken!
You have no idea how hard it was to love somepony who didn?t even know! So you go out there, and you find somepony else, anypony else, but not her!"
-Fluttershy, Green

I just love this one, Fluttershy yelling at Luna, who is practically a goddess, for trying to steal her girl. For some reason I love overprotective/paranoid Fluttershy.

San Martin

Jun 21, 2013
Silentpony said:
"Well, Art is Art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water. And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now you tell me what you know."
-Groucho Marx

I've used it at least 5 times against hipsters and pseudo-intellectuals who think modern art is just as good as classical art. Pissed off a music major I knew when she tried to tell me that John Cage's 4:33 was the most ground-breaking musical piece in the last century.
What's wrong with liking modern art and music? Or was it just those particular people you didn't like?

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Only 2 really come to mind right now:

[As they look up at the stars]
"All I see are the bright lights of a billion places I'll never go."

"I don't know how long Amorphs live, but I don't think you'd make it to a billion places."

"Maybe not. But if I weren't stuck here, I bet I could make it to at least one of them."
-Schlock and Ventura, Schlock Mercenary. [http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2013-02-24]
This one always stuck with me less because of the quote itself and more because of who's saying it. It's a surprisingly insightful moment from a character whose thought processes normally start and end at "Can I eat and/or wield this?"

"-The difference between zero and one is as great as one and infinity."
-SCP-1281
Not only is this a good quote, but the fact that it comes from the SCP of all places makes it even better.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
"You will become way less concerned with what other people think of you when you realize how seldom they do." I don't remember who said that, but damn is it true. Seriously no one cares. People really forget to run that shit though there filter.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Only one comes to mind right now:
"I do not believe that just because you're opposed to abortion, that that makes you pro-life. In fact, I think in many cases, your morality is deeply lacking if all you want is a child born but not a child fed, not a child educated, not a child housed. And why would I think that you don't? Because you don't want any tax money to go there. That's not pro-life. That's pro-birth. We need a much broader conversation on what the morality of pro-life is."

Sister Joan Chittister [http://joanchittister.org/]

Aaaaand I guess one more to even it out:
WOLVERINES!!!

--Aardvark
[/spoiler]

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
"He that loves pleasure, must for pleasure fall" - Evil Angel, Doctor Faustus

Not only is it sassy as fuck given that it happens right before the end, but it's always a good reminder to myself that all the chocolate and lazy actions probably aren't going to compliment my thighs.

spartenX

Oct 2, 2009
"If we affirm one moment, we thus affirm not only ourselves but all existence. For nothing is self-sufficient, neither in us ourselves nor in things; and if our soul has trembled with happiness and sounded like a harp string just once, all eternity was needed to produce this one event?and in this single moment of affirmation all eternity was called good, redeemed, justified, and affirmed."
-Friedrich Nietzsche

a great bit on optimism from a rather surprising source

this is more of an exchange rather than a straight up quote, but...
Death: You have to start out learning to believe the little lies.
Susan: "So we can believe the big ones?"
Death: Yes. Justice. Duty. Mercy. That sort of thing.
Susan: "They're not the same at all!"
Death: Really? Then take the universe and grind it down to the finest powder and sieve it through the finest sieve and then show me one atom of justice, one molecule of mercy. And yet you act, like there was some sort of rightness in the universe by which it may be judged.
Susan: "Yes. But people have got to believe that or what's the point?"
Death: You need to believe in things that aren't true; how else can they become?
-Sir Terry Pratchett's Hogfather

always just loved this one, saying that even if justice and mercy and all that stuff aren't realy, we can make them real.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
"You reap what you sow, Artyom: force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death. To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without any thought or doubt."

-Khan (Metro 2033)

"If you want to imagine the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face forever"

-George Orwell

necromanzer52

Mar 19, 2009
Last week I went to a screening of blade runner at my local cinema, so I have that on my mind at the moment. If you know the film, you know what I'm going to say, but this quote really has stuck with me over the years:

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All these moments will be lost in time like tears in the rain. Time to die."

The hobbit, being my favourite book, has many quotes I like, but the one that resonates most with me (which is also one of the only parts of those shitty movies that they didn't fuck up):

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. But sad or merry, I must leave it now. Farewell."

And one last quote from the hitch-hikers guide to the galaxy:

"They hung in the air exactly the way bricks don't."

Mullac

Oct 6, 2012
Some great quotes from Catch-22:

?What is a country? A country is a piece of land surrounded on all sides by boundaries, usually unnatural. Englishmen are dying for England, Americans are dying for America, Germans are dying for Germany, Russians are dying for Russia. There are now fifty or sixty countries fighting in this war. Surely so many countries can't all be worth dying for.?

----------

?From now on I'm thinking only of me."

Major Danby replied indulgently with a superior smile: "But, Yossarian, suppose everyone felt that way."

"Then," said Yossarian, "I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I??

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
"Remember the truth that once was spoken. To love another person is to see the face of God."

-Les Mis

I don't even know if I believe in God, but this quote sends chills down my spine. Even if there is no god, the closest we'll ever get to him existing is the human capacity for love and kindness.

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
"I am not, nor will I ever be, most people."

-Batman (During the Hush arc)

That quote stuck with me so strongly that I still had it echoing in my head a full year after reading Batman: Hush. I don't identify as 'normal', nor do I see much point in doing so, but that quote helped me accept not being normal and just being me.

Also:

"All sentient beings have the right to self-determination."

-Legion (Mass Effect 2)

This is a strongly held value of mine, but it wasn't until Legion expressed it that I found the words to put it into. So thanks for that, Chris l'Etoile (Legion's scriptwriter).

And finally:

"Alright, I will admit, I was not expecting that..."

-The Prince (Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones)

It's a line that gets thrown out midway through a boss battle when the fight suddenly becomes a two-on-one situation. I must have played that battle so many times to beat it, and the line just got ingrained into my mind. I now have a tendency to throw it out whenever I'm surprised by something.