Quoting Notifications Are Missing

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
tippy2k2 said:
We can't access any IT stuff so even if we had someone who could do IT stuff for us for free, we'd have to way to get them into it.
Is there no one with access to the code?
Has DEFY left the site entirely without anyone doing maintenance?

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Jonluw said:
tippy2k2 said:
We can't access any IT stuff so even if we had someone who could do IT stuff for us for free, we'd have to way to get them into it.
In short, yes. No one seems to have access to the actual site code so we're basically on autopilot until something goes so wrong, the site breaks and won't be fixed.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Leg End said:
In short, yes. No one seems to have access to the actual site code so we're basically on autopilot until something goes so wrong, the site breaks and won't be fixed.
Dang....
So the site is basically a zombie. No wonder bits and pieces are falling off. Reading the open letter, I got a little hopeful that maybe the forum could continue to run as a volunteer effort, but if no one has access to the code then even the grace of a benevolent programmer won't help.

I just noticed that this autumn marks the passing of ten years since I started lurking. I like to come back here and reminisce once in a while. It is quite amazing how Zero Punctuation rocketed this site out of obscurity. Google's data speaks for itself.
https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&q=zero%20punctuation,escapist,the%20escapists
The same data makes obvious the grim reality of the current state of affairs as well. The site is sinking into obscurity, and Yahtzee is keeping pace. His popularity is at 3% of what it was at its peak. I guess I can't blame people for tuning out. Although his videos are all I watch here, I rarely do. I don't know if his material has become less inspired or if it is I who has become tired of it. In any case, it doesn't make me laugh like it used to.

For the record, the apparent spike toward the tail end of the graph is not actually a spike in interest for The escapist. It is caused by the release of a video game called "The escapists". That game is shown as the yellow line. Note how it exactly matches the red line.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Jonluw said:
Leg End said:
Dang....
So the site is basically a zombie. No wonder bits and pieces are falling off. Reading the open letter, I got a little hopeful that maybe the forum could continue to run as a volunteer effort, but if no one has access to the code then even the grace of a benevolent programmer won't help.

I just noticed that this autumn marks the passing of ten years since I started lurking. I like to come back here and reminisce once in a while. It is quite amazing how Zero Punctuation rocketed this site out of obscurity. Google's data speaks for itself.
https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&q=zero%20punctuation,escapist,the%20escapists
The same data makes obvious the grim reality of the current state of affairs as well. The site is sinking into obscurity, and Yahtzee is keeping pace. His popularity is at 3% of what it was at its peak. I guess I can't blame people for tuning out. Although his videos are all I watch here, I rarely do. I don't know if his material has become less inspired or if it is I who has become tired of it. In any case, it doesn't make me laugh like it used to.

For the record, the apparent spike toward the tail end of the graph is not actually a spike in interest for The escapist. It is caused by the release of a video game called "The escapists". That game is shown as the yellow line. Note how it exactly matches the red line.
Yeah, but he still gets a half a million views on Youtube per video so it's not that people aren't interested in ZP anymore.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Jonluw said:
tippy2k2 said:
To the best of our knowledge, that is correct.

I know others answered already but figured an "official" answer wouldn't hurt.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
Hmmm.
It took a week (7 days) and now the quote notifications were off again.
Anyone else having the same span of time in-between?

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Drathnoxis said:
Yeah, but he still gets a half a million views on Youtube per video so it's not that people aren't interested in ZP anymore.
How many views did he use to get in total though?

tippy2k2 said:
To the best of our knowledge, that is correct.

I know others answered already but figured an "official" answer wouldn't hurt.
Gotta say that's pretty fascinating, seeing a website off life support. Someone has to be posting the videos, so I'm guessing there is at least one staff member or something. Of course, they don't need to have access to the code.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
My quote notifications undid themselves again, so it seems not to be a permanent fix sadly. I have also noticed all the people I blocked...arent being blocked anymore. They are still on my list, but their posts arent hidden/closed anymore.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Vendor-Lazarus said:
Hmmm.
Looks like it happens for everyone at the same time.

Too bad group notifications are out too, or we could have a notification group to notify people when notifications are no longer notifying.

Jonluw said:
Drathnoxis said:
How many views did he use to get in total though?
Hmmm, that's a tough thing to answer since you'd have to know how many views he got within a certain length of time. From a quick look it seems his older videos average out to around 2M views across the Escapist and Youtube (Super Smash Bros. Brawl got over 4M), while more recent stuff only gets 1M. But I don't think that's super accurate, because a video is going to get more views the longer it's out, so some of that stuff has a 10 year head start.

It'd be kind of interesting to know what his most watched video was, but I'm not going through over 500 videos to figure it out.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
Drathnoxis said:
Vendor-Lazarus said:
Hmmm.
Looks like it happens for everyone at the same time.

Too bad group notifications are out too, or we could have a notification group to notify people when notifications are no longer notifying.
*Chuckles heartily*
Har Har & Ho Ho.
*Noted*, I'm making a (mental) note here; Huge Failure!
,)

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Drathnoxis said:
Hmmm, that's a tough thing to answer since you'd have to know how many views he got within a certain length of time. From a quick look it seems his older videos average out to around 2M views across the Escapist and Youtube (Super Smash Bros. Brawl got over 4M), while more recent stuff only gets 1M. But I don't think that's super accurate, because a video is going to get more views the longer it's out, so some of that stuff has a 10 year head start.

It'd be kind of interesting to know what his most watched video was, but I'm not going through over 500 videos to figure it out.
Lol, seems like my quoting notifications crapped out again.
Still, I don't think the kind of search trend you see on google trends can happen without people losing an interest in his videos.