Race/Ethnicty in Attraction and Dating

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
Dreiko said:
Arabs who speak Greek and Greeks who have Arab ancestry in their genes are two distinct groups. The former is indeed met with much negativity, nobody denies that. I was referencing the latter.
Oops sorry, I thought you were sating that cultural identity trumps race in Greece. My bad.

Neonbob

The Noble Nuker
Dec 22, 2008
Do you date outside your race? If so how often?
I did, once. My first girlfriend was Filipino.

How do you view racial prefrences as whole? (in society)
I don't really think about them. I'm simple that way.

Do you find yourself attracted or not attracted to certain race or races?
I don't find many black women attractive.
They are perfectly fine as people, they just don't hit my spot.

Can you describe why you might have these prefrences/dislikes?
Nope. It's a simple disinterest.

Do you think your mind has changed about any of this from the past or is subject to change in the future?
It hasn't changed in the past, and I don't see why it would suddenly change in the future.

Jux

Hmm
Sep 2, 2012
Frokane said:
You can hear something like " I dont find people particularly attractive" or "I find myself more drawn to qualities in people". Now I'm not saying its racism and I'm not saying its not racism, but its an aspect of preference that seems to be uncomfortable to explaore so......lets explore it.
I'll say it then. Yea, it's racist.

Mar 26, 2008
Jux said:
Frokane said:
You can hear something like " I dont find people particularly attractive" or "I find myself more drawn to qualities in people". Now I'm not saying its racism and I'm not saying its not racism, but its an aspect of preference that seems to be uncomfortable to explaore so......lets explore it.
I'll say it then. Yea, it's racist.
I disagree. I say it's a preference. If someone asked me if I like the look and taste of bananas or nectarines and I pick bananas that doesn't make me "fruitist". I simply prefer one to the other and that's personal preference. It's neither right or wrong. If I then started disallowing members of my family eating nectarines then that is something completely different.

Every human being on this planet is biased one way or another, whether they realise it or want to admit it or not. Denying this is self-delusion.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Programmed_For_Damage said:
I disagree. I say it's a preference. If someone asked me if I like the look and taste of bananas or nectarines and I pick bananas that doesn't make me "fruitist". I simply prefer one to the other and that's personal preference. It's neither right or wrong. If I then started disallowing members of my family eating nectarines then that is something completely different.

Every human being on this planet is biased one way or another, whether they realise it or want to admit it or not. Denying this is self-delusion.
A preference in regards to race, saying one is more attractive than another, is most definitely racist.

However, like you say, all people are biased (I'd not say in one way or another, I'd say in many, many ways). That this is racist doesn't mean this is much of a problem in the grand scheme of things, in of itself.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
Programmed_For_Damage said:

Except nectarines don't have a history of being portrayed as hideous and grotesque by the bananas who enslaved and oppressed them. They don't have a history of lightening their rind, or straightening their peel with harmful chemicals, to meet the beauty standards of bananas. Fruit doesn't have feelings.

Maybe you can't control your preference, but I reckon the instant you decide to announce it is the instant it becomes grossly racist. Maybe instead of insisting you're not racist because "it's just how I feel!" you can grow a filter and learn not to vocalise every thought or opinion you have.

Chareater

Aug 12, 2010
manic_depressive13 said:
Except nectarines don't have a history of being portrayed as hideous and grotesque by the bananas who enslaved and oppressed them. They don't have a history of lightening their rind, or straightening their peel with harmful chemicals, to meet the beauty standards of bananas. Fruit doesn't have feelings.

Maybe you can't control your preference, but I reckon the instant you decide to announce it is the instant it becomes grossly racist. Maybe instead of insisting you're not racist because "it's just how I feel!" you can grow a filter and learn not to vocalise every thought or opinion you have.
Stop this. Not being attracted to certain race has nothing to do with the race's past.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Frokane said:
Do you date outside your race? If so how often?
yes.
Do you find yourself attracted or not attracted to certain race or races?

Can you describe why you might have these prefrences/dislikes?
Yes.

Or at least i find certain facial features ugly and i like certain kinds of hair. As both can be found in some races far more often than in others, i am attracted to some races more than to others. But i can't say that i am most attracted to my own race and i have to say actual skin-color is utterly unimportant as far as i am concerned.
Do you think your mind has changed about any of this from the past or is subject to change in the future?
No, i don't think so.

manic_depressive13 said:

I really don't care about your (probably American) history of race realtions. It is not my history. It certainly did not form my subsconcious perception of races.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
Satinavian said:
I really don't care about your (probably American) history of race realtions. It is not my history. It certainly did not form my subsconcious perception of races.
Doesn't really matter. When people express a "preference" like, for just one example, "I don't find black people attractive", they aren't expressing it in a vacuum. Like if I say "All the Aborigines I know are dirty" or "All the Jews I know are money-grubbing", maybe I came up with these opinions all on my own, maybe it's even true, but it's still going to come across as fucking racist. If you make a tone-deaf comment which winds up generalising people of a certain race, particularly people with a history of oppression, don't act surprised when people think you're racist.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
That is rubbish. Those things have nothing at all to do with each other.

How is "I like readheads*" the same as "All the Jews i know ar money-grupping"?

And why does it matter if someone was opprossed half a word away one or more centuries ago when someone talks about what he or she finds sexually attractive ?
What has oppression to do with this anyway ?

*only as example for a feature usually found with white people, not really talking about my preferrence here.

Cette

Legacy
Dec 16, 2011
Country
US
1:Do you date outside your race? If so how often?

I've almost exclusively dated other white people but that's mostly demographics do to being in Oklahoma. Had a short fling with a black girl once though.

2:How do you view racial preferences as whole? (in society)

People make way bigger of a deal out of it than it is.

3:Do you find yourself attracted or not attracted to certain race or races?

I've found less asian women that I'm attracted to than average.

4:Can you describe why you might have these prefrences/dislikes?

I think it's the tendencies of some to look younger thant they actually are. Which I am personally way not into.

5:Do you think your mind has changed about any of this from the past or is subject to change in the future?

Not particularly I always went more off personality than anything else and I don't see that likely to change.

Chareater

Aug 12, 2010
manic_depressive13 said:
Satinavian said:
Doesn't really matter. When people express a "preference" like, for just one example, "I don't find black people attractive", they aren't expressing it in a vacuum. Like if I say "All the Aborigines I know are dirty" or "All the Jews I know are money-grubbing", maybe I came up with these opinions all on my own, maybe it's even true, but it's still going to come across as fucking racist. If you make a tone-deaf comment which winds up generalising people of a certain race, particularly people with a history of oppression, don't act surprised when people think you're racist.
How the fuck can you compare saying "I don't find black people attractive" to "All jews are money grubbing."

The first one is about attraction, its not a insult to the race like the second one.

If I said "I won't date blacks because they smell" that is racist, but saying "blacks just aren't my type" isn't.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Chareater said:
How the fuck can you compare saying "I don't find black people attractive" to "All jews are money grubbing."

The first one is about attraction, its not a insult to the race like the second one.

If I said "I won't date blacks because they smell" that is racist, but saying "blacks just aren't my type" isn't.
You are making a judgement about that race, compared to other races. That is racist.

Again, that's not to say that, in of itself, that's really a problem.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
Chareater said:

Actually in my example I said "Jews I KNOW are money grubbing". However, you correctly recognised that basically adding "imo" to a racist statement doesn't make it less racist. Another way to phrase "I don't find black people attractive" is "black people are unattractive", which is as much a racist stereotype as "Jews are money grubbing". A lot of racist propaganda is focused around how ugly blacks (and some other races) are. When someone feels the need to announce how unattractive they find blacks, even when they phrase it mildly and add "just my opinion man" they are feeding into these racist stereotypes.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
manic_depressive13 said:
Another way to phrase "I don't find black people attractive" is "black people are unattractive", which is as much a racist stereotype as "Jews are money grubbing".
Actually no, those aren't the same thing. The poster made no declaration that all blacks are unattractive as an objective fact, they stated that for their own spectrum of attraction, they aren't attracted to them. There is a very big difference in the two.

manic_depressive13 said:
A lot of racist propaganda is focused around how ugly blacks (and some other races) are. When someone feels the need to announce how unattractive they find blacks, even when they phrase it mildly and add "just my opinion man" they are feeding into these racist stereotypes.
Seeing as this thread is specifically about race and ethnicity in attraction, and the OP asked us what our personal preferences were on that subject, they are hardly acting out of character for the discussion. It's not like he butted into a discussion about Minecraft to say "I don't find blacks attractive", this entire discussion has been about that topic.

So get off your high horse.

**Edit**

Actually, to show an example of why your statement is flawed. I'm straight, I do not find men attractive, that doesn't mean that I declare "men are unattractive". My personal tastes are not the same as a widespread declaration of a demographic.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Thaluikhain said:
You are making a judgement about that race, compared to other races. That is racist.

Again, that's not to say that, in of itself, that's really a problem.
Hey, c'mon. Shouldn't there be some prejudice for it be racist? Here we're talking about looks which we can see, not anything like "that Asian girl must be good at math". Like, that takes off the edge of that word. In common use, a racist makes a judgement about something they don't know simply based on race.

You think it'd be better if everyone (all 7.48 billion people of the world) just accepted they are racist and that they likely can't change? I'm asking from the viewpoint of general discussion about race and ethnicity etc.

Chareater

Aug 12, 2010
manic_depressive13 said:
Chareater said:

Actually in my example I said "Jews I KNOW are money grubbing". However, you correctly recognised that basically adding "imo" to a racist statement doesn't make it less racist. Another way to phrase "I don't find black people attractive" is "black people are unattractive", which is as much a racist stereotype as "Jews are money grubbing". A lot of racist propaganda is focused around how ugly blacks (and some other races) are. When someone feels the need to announce how unattractive they find blacks, even when they phrase it mildly and add "just my opinion man" they are feeding into these racist stereotypes.
If I said "I don't find blacks attractive" thats not me saying blacks are ugly. Thats me saying I personally don't find them attractive.

If a gay man said "Sorry I don't date women I don't find them attractive" is that gay man being sexist for not dating women? Or is he just stating his preference.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Chareater said:
If I said "I don't find blacks attractive" thats not me saying blacks are ugly. Thats me saying I personally don't find them attractive.
I don't know, depends on context. Pretty sure you might find you have racist parents if it's one of the first things they say when they meet your SO.

Also, pretty sure you might have homophobic parents as a gay man if they try to push women on you even after you come out of the closet. Not sexist, definitely iffy on the homophobia.

See? Context.