Radio DJ/Red Dead Voice Actor Cumia Fired For Racist Twitter Rant

zumbledum

Nov 13, 2011
Dragonbums said:
zumbledum said:
i dont agree his public twitter is any different from his personal voice
Yes it is. If you have a public twitter that is followed by thousands to possibly millions in representation of your personality on radio then you are held liable for anything you say on said account. If this was something he said in his personal twitter account among friends and family then you may of had a point.

just because a lot of people see it doesnt change his rights.
His rights were never violated to begin with.

i have objection to the fact they had to.
Sirius radio was never forced to fire him. They could of kept him on air. They (Sirius) decided on their own accord that he wasn't worth the trouble of keeping around. And considering the other personalities that they keep around, that's pretty telling of how much shit he got them into with his Twitter statement. Yet alone the fact that he apparently took pictures of someone without their consent, got caught doing it by said person, and clearly continued to take pictures of said women despite her obviously not wanting it, all so he can have a racist rant on Twitter with her face on it.

my issue is with the people that attacked him and made him toxic.
If someone was taking pictures of me in the middle of the night without consent and despite my continued insistence on not doing that takes more pictures anyway, fucking yest I would confront the person and slap the fuck out of him.
It's called fucking consent, and it's clear he had no respect for that. This is fucking New York. He shouldn't be surprised an iota that continuously doing something to piss people off will inevitably land him with a fist in his face.

ironically my problem is with intolerance.
So basically your saying she should of been a passive little meek that's okay with random strangers taking pictures of her without consent?
for quote 1. i just don't think rights are quantitative i think you have them or you don't. if 0 or 10 million hear what you say it is the same. Unless this company was directly paying him to write that twitter or there was some contractual violation its his personal views and he can say what he wants.

for 2. i would call being punished for doing something about the same as being restricted from doing it in the first place, "you have the freedom of speech , but if i disagree with it you get shot" is not real freedom of speech is it?

for 3 ok , i phrased it wrongly, "that they felt pressure to" not "were forced to"

for 4. actually the police would be calling it assault. you see being the victim of a crime doesn't give you the right to commit them. if your smart and someones taking pictures with you in them you complain to them peacefully like a reasonable human being and if they dont comply you either call the police or sue them maybe both.

im surprised he didnt get shot. but our disbelief and your claimed violent tendencies of new yorkers aside. it doesn't change the fact that law enforcement is the job of the police and vigilantism is pretty universally agreed to be bad.

point 5 , yeah thats exactly what im saying /facepalm.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
Dragonbums said:
IceForce said:
Phrozenflame500 said:
How much mental gymnastics do you have to pull to call that not racist?
AntiChri5 said:
The mental gymnastics some people go through to defend this shit is hilarious.
Happiness Assassin said:
You have to do some serious mental gymnastics to think he is referring to someone else besides black people.
RA92 said:
The mental gymnastics people are going through to defend this guy is amazing.
I have to echo these sentiments.

Who knew we had so many talented gymnasts here on the Escapist forums.
It's amazing to watch isn't it?

I think the best part about it is that I'm not even surprised which users are defending this guy. More power to them I suppose, but I'm actually legitimately surprised how much they will make their brains do backflips in trying to find any "loopholes" that will make this man not a racist.
Honestly, it says more about them. It's certainly illuminating. I'd never known how racism and sexism aren't racism and sexism until now, or how apparently his First Amendment Rights had been removed, because he no longer can speak, to anyone.

Truly, we just live in a society of PC gone mad liberal social justice warriors who can't take a joke or dissenting opinion. Once more, we have truly been enlightened by the virtue of FREEDOM *Cue flaming Bald Eagles in the style of John Woo*. There's no such thing as a bigot, and Cumia definitely isn't one, or at least, he has a right to be one, and people definitely aren't defending them, people definitely aren't acting to create a world with bigotry as opposed to one without it, even if it means violating people's right to self determination and free association.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
zumbledum said:
for quote 1. i just don't think rights are quantitative i think you have them or you don't.
And he still has them. Freedom of speech does not equate to freedom from consequence of said speech. Otherwise it would not be illegal to yell "FIRE" in a crowded space.

if 0 or 10 million hear what you say it is the same. Unless this company was directly paying him to write that twitter or there was some contractual violation its his personal views and he can say what he wants.
It means fuck all whether he is paid to post shit on Twitter or not. He is a representative of Sirius radio. What he says on his public Twitter not only represents himself but Sirius radio. The things he said on that Twitter had a negative impact on Sirius and as such they let him go. If he wants to continue his racist tirade on Twitter than nobody is stopping him from doing so. As such, his rights of free speech are very well intact.

for 2. i would call being punished for doing something about the same as being restricted from doing it in the first place, "you have the freedom of speech , but if i disagree with it you get shot" is not real freedom of speech is it?
That's a false equivalence. The consequence ol' DJ here suffered was equal to what he said. He said racist stuff on Twitter, and as such Sirius let him go. He didn't get shot, he didn't get beaten, he didn't get pummeled, and he didn't go to jail.

Of course being punished for doing something gives incentive to not do that thing. Otherwise people would be more than happy to rob a bank or murder someone if they knew they can get away with it with a slap on the wrist.

"that they felt pressure to"
And the point still stands that they still could of chosen to keep him on staff.

actually the police would be calling it assault.
Too bad he never actually called the police and instead took the time to continue aggravating the situation and making a Twitter rant about it.

And even then, he himself would not of gotten away free of charge because he continued to take pictures of the woman despite her telling him "no". So if the police did get involved he would of been charged with public harassment.

you see being the victim of a crime doesn't give you the right to commit them.
And knowingly doing something that could piss off people who aren't tolerant of your bullshit doesn't give you any grounds to cry like a child on Twitter either.

if your smart and someones taking pictures with you in them you complain to them peacefully like a reasonable human being and if they dont comply you either call the police or sue them maybe both.
Oh I'm sure that's what you would do, but not everyone is you. If DJ Dumbwit was a smart human being after the first time she said "No" he would of stopped. Instead he continued to photograph her and piss her off even more. Apparently it got bad enough that even bystanders had to step in and tell him to fuck off. After all, the "victim" decided that this wasn't severe enough to call them cops when she attacked him.

im surprised he didnt get shot.
Oh that's rich. Especially in his defense.

So your assuming that she also carried arsenal and would use it for some loser who doesn't understand consent? Pretty ironic seeing as how one of his Twitter statements talked about how she was lucky that he was a white gun owner. Otherwise it would be her with a hole in her body and possibly dead on the floor for something he started in the first place.

your claimed violent tendencies of new yorkers aside.
I never claimed New Yorkers had violent tendencies. I said that he shouldn't be fucking surprised consistently harassing people and doing shit that's inappropriate to someone- especially in New York, where bullshit tolerance is low- resulted in him getting his shit wrecked.

it doesn't change the fact that law enforcement is the job of the police and vigilantism is pretty universally agreed to be bad.
And nobody called the police in that situation.

point 5 , yeah thats exactly what im saying /facepalm.
Good to know you are willing to be walked all over like a doormat in the even someone violates you privacy, and you think women should act the same.

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
Dragonbums said:
The Hungry Samurai said:
The word savage refers to a primitive being it has nothing to do with skin color.
Let's casually ignore the fact that the term primitive for the past 300 or so years has been used exclusively in reference to cultures that weren't as "refined", "civilized", and "advanced" as white society. It's been used to describe black culture and the people within it, middle east culture and the people within it, Asian culture and the people within it, and most remote island populations- which coincidentally happen to be black people 80% of the time.

The term savage has been used to describe colored people for a long damn time now. Rarely was it used for white society. In fact, the closest word to savage that's been used in reference to white society was Barbarians. And that was a term primarily used during the fucking Roman empire and a couple centuries after that.
Rascists use the word savage to describe other cultures because they're idiots, but that doesn't mean the word savage is racist. You can find plenty of uses of the word savage not being racist in modern society, not counting the example in the popular 1997 movie Clerks that you edited out of my previous post. (In which I explicitly stated that the Radio Jock of the OP was using the word in a racist manner, thanks for the context bud.) Just look at the world of comics to see plenty of uses of the word that have absolutely nothing to do with race.

Doc Savage
Vandal Savage
Savage Dragon
(note: 2 out of those 3 characters are white, the third, green.)

To say the word has been used exclusively in a racist manner is ridiculous. You really shouldn't pull random things out of your posterior and then present as facts and statistics.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
The Hungry Samurai said:
Dragonbums said:
The Hungry Samurai said:
The word savage refers to a primitive being it has nothing to do with skin color.
Let's casually ignore the fact that the term primitive for the past 300 or so years has been used exclusively in reference to cultures that weren't as "refined", "civilized", and "advanced" as white society. It's been used to describe black culture and the people within it, middle east culture and the people within it, Asian culture and the people within it, and most remote island populations- which coincidentally happen to be black people 80% of the time.

The term savage has been used to describe colored people for a long damn time now. Rarely was it used for white society. In fact, the closest word to savage that's been used in reference to white society was Barbarians. And that was a term primarily used during the fucking Roman empire and a couple centuries after that.
Rascists use the word savage to describe other cultures because they're idiots, but that doesn't mean the word savage is racist. You can find plenty of uses of the word savage not being racist in modern society, not counting the example in the popular 1997 movie Clerks that you edited out of my previous post. (In which I explicitly stated that the Radio Jock of the OP was using the word in a racist manner, thanks for the context bud.) Just look at the world of comics to see plenty of uses of the word that have absolutely nothing to do with race.

Doc Savage
Vandal Savage
Savage Dragon

To say the word has been used exclusively in a racist manner is ridiculous. You really shouldn't pull random things out of your posterior and then present as facts and statistics.
Because describing black people as savages, primitives, or incapable of the same intelligence, or empathy as others, particularly whites, has never been a thing [read in incredibly sarcastic tone]. You really shouldn't pull deliberately misleading examples out of your ass and present them as facts and statistics.

Words have numerous meanings, savage, can be used as an adjective or adverb to describe attributes of objects or actions, or as a noun to describe something which is intrinsically savage. Which is has been. To describe black people. A racist stereotype that persists to this day (Furthered by scum like Cumia). And in this context? It's not hard to see a racist connotation. Particularly since Cumia is aggressively racist. And that's not just this incident. You don't just have to be deliberately dishonest about the words at play here to make this claim, but deliberately dishonest about Cumia himself.

And anyone who thinks what Cumia underwent is "Savage" is so damn sheltered that it must hurt to breathe. He got a beating he walked away from? Hahaha. Give me a break. Savage is what white people did to black people. Savage is the continuing effect of society on large numbers of black Americans, hell, black people all over the world. Savage is the effect of spreading these beliefs. Getting beat on isn't pleasant, but really. This isn't an accident of word choice (He himself hasn't said that). This is him being racist. Like racists tend to do.

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
The Hungry Samurai said:
Rascists use the word savage to describe other cultures because they're idiots, but that doesn't mean the word savage is racist.
And the word savage was used exclusively by racist people to talk in a derogatory manner to people of color and the societies they lived in. In fact- since Social Darwinism was not only a widely accepted belief in the colonial period and was one of many justifications for committing half the shit white people did in the colonial era- it would be safe to say that a lot of (i.e a majority) of white people not only used savage in that way a common descriptor but believed it to be true.

Therefore making the word itself racist in undertones and connotations.

Like...you just defeated your own argument in the same sentence.

You can find plenty of uses of the word savage not being racist in modern society,
How a word is used now in the last 50 years of "modern society" does not take away how the word was used for almost 300 fucking years against people who weren't white. Nice try but it's not gonna work.

Just look at the world of comics to see plenty of uses of the word that have absolutely nothing to do with race

Doc Savage
Vandal Savage
Savage Dragon
You expect me to believe this on word alone? I'm not a fucking comic book enthusiast so perhaps it might help your argument to link to the pages where they used savage that doesn't involve race?

Either way I'm not even fucking sure what your arguing here since you just admitted that he was using the term "savage" in a racist manner. The same manner people back then used savage to describe anyone who wasn't a "civilized" white society.

To say the word has been used exclusively in a racist manner is ridiculous.
History says otherwise.

You really shouldn't pull random things out of your posterior and then present as facts and statistics.
So your seriously going to deny that racist connotations that the term "savage" meant and why people of color loathe the term on a racial basis because it's used for other things?

Just like how the word "*****" is usually associated as a derogatory term for women, even though the base word means "female dog", and the only time it's used in that definition is within the animal vet and science community.

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
Dragonbums said:
The Hungry Samurai said:
Rascists use the word savage to describe other cultures because they're idiots, but that doesn't mean the word savage is racist.
And the word savage was used exclusively by racist people to talk in a derogatory manner to people of color and the societies they lived in. In fact- since Social Darwinism was not only a widely accepted belief in the colonial period and was one of many justifications for committing half the shit white people did in the colonial era- it would be safe to say that a lot of (i.e a majority) of white people not only used savage in that way a common descriptor but believed it to be true.

Therefore making the word itself racist in undertones and connotations.

Like...you just defeated your own argument in the same sentence.

You can find plenty of uses of the word savage not being racist in modern society,
How a word is used now in the last 50 years of "modern society" does not take away how the word was used for almost 300 fucking years against people who weren't white. Nice try but it's not gonna work.

Just look at the world of comics to see plenty of uses of the word that have absolutely nothing to do with race

Doc Savage
Vandal Savage
Savage Dragon
You expect me to believe this on word alone? I'm not a fucking comic book enthusiast so perhaps it might help your argument to link to the pages where they used savage that doesn't involve race?

Either way I'm not even fucking sure what your arguing here since you just admitted that he was using the term "savage" in a racist manner. The same manner people back then used savage to describe anyone who wasn't a "civilized" white society.

To say the word has been used exclusively in a racist manner is ridiculous.
History says otherwise.

You really shouldn't pull random things out of your posterior and then present as facts and statistics.
So your seriously going to deny that racist connotations that the term "savage" meant and why people of color loathe the term on a racial basis because it's used for other things?

Just like how the word "*****" is usually associated as a derogatory term for women, even though the base word means "female dog", and the only time it's used in that definition is within the animal vet and science community.
Everything you say is absolutely right sir. Thank you for teaching me.

::Exit's rational conversation. Stage left. Pursued by a bear::

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
The Hungry Samurai said:
Everything you say is absolutely right sir. Thank you for teaching me.

::Exit's rational conversation. Stage left. Pursued by a bear::
That always seems to be the "end" of an argument when a person of color tries to tell anyone something.

C.S.Strowbridge

Jul 22, 2010
A-D. said:
C.S.Strowbridge said:
A-D. said:
If the context is based around several, apparently black guys, assaulting him for daring to take a picture which happens to have a black woman in the frame...
Do you really believe that's what happened? I don't. Not for a second. I think he was taking a picture of the woman's ass and got caught and she got mad.

"Just happened to be in frame..." that's a lame excuse for when you get caught taking a picture you shouldn't.
There was a story of a kid, well teenager being attacked by a woman because he had one of those drones which took pictures, from about 100 meters in the air. She didnt like that and attacked the teenager. So no, i have no reason to doubt that someone could go apeshit for being in the frame.
Cumia claimed he was taking pictures of time square and this woman just happened to be in frame. Except in a later tweet he said he was taking pictures of women. He lied.

A-D. said:
Plus if the guy is racist, why the fuck would he take a photo of some black womans ass? Isnt the whole point of being racist to hate that group of people to the extent that you wouldnt find them attractive even?
Strom Thurman was racist, but he had a black mistress.

A-D. said:
Never assume there is just one possible explanation to any situation, just because its easier to assume the guy was at fault doesnt mean he actually was. Nor is it right to assume because he went on a tirade about that happening makes him racist because the attackers happened to be black. Even if your assumption is correct, that is no excuse to be assaulted by anyone.
First of all, I assume Cumia is racist, because he said racist thing. Secondly, I don't believe for a second his version of the events, because he lied. I don't believe she punched him ten times. I don't believe she attacked him. Yelled at him, yes. Attacked him, no.

C.S.Strowbridge

Jul 22, 2010
black_knight1337 said:
C.S.Strowbridge said:
Erm, have you actually looked at the evidence?
Yes. Have you?

Cumia claimed he was taking pictures of time square and she just happened to be in frame.
However, in a later tweet he talked about taking a picture of a women in a white dress, who was much more behaved that this woman was.

He lied.

He lied, yet some people are still taking his side and believing what he said.

black_knight1337 said:
The first picture has her on the left side of the shot walking in his direction. The next couple of photos show her being very aggressive.
It looked like she was yelling, but yelling is a lot different than attacking.

black_knight1337 said:
He wasn't tweeting while it was happening either, he was defending himself by attempting to block the attacks.
Again, this is only true if you believe his account, but since he lied about it, why would you?

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Dragonbums said:

He said "The word savage refers to a primitive being it has nothing to do with skin color", and you bring up a bunch of examples that contain non-black people... nice job.
Savage, primitive, or uncivilized aren't "racist words" flung at just "black", or "coloured" people if you will. I've heard southern Europeans referred to as belonging to primitive countries, or even being primitive lazy people. Why don't you explain that? Actually scratch that as its too open to the common "they aren't white so they don't count" maneuver, replace southern European with Eastern European.

Do you know what a synonym is?

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Shock jock does something shocking. I am sorry but how is that news, it is literal his job to piss people off.

Racism sucks, but come on people. Ignore the shock jock and focus on a non Fox News quality story.

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
Rozalia1 said:
Dragonbums said:

He said "The word savage refers to a primitive being it has nothing to do with skin color", and you bring up a bunch of examples that contain non-black people... nice job.
Savage, primitive, or uncivilized aren't "racist words" flung at just "black", or "coloured" people if you will. I've heard southern Europeans referred to as belonging to primitive countries, or even being primitive lazy people. Why don't you explain that? Actually scratch that as its too open to the common "they aren't white so they don't count" maneuver, replace southern European with Eastern European.

Do you know what a synonym is?
Guess what bro I'm from the states. You can play this game all you want but for colored people when the term savage was used it comes with racist connotations because during the colonial era that was a word used to describe people of color and our society. Not only that us being labeled "savages" was justification to treat us as shit and stomp all over the very culture we were raised in. You might as well say ***** doesn't directly refer to women as an insult because people in the scientific community use it as a descriptive for female dog.

Yes. I do know what a synonym means. Shame that the racist version of savage is more prevalent for colored people than the other.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Dragonbums said:
Guess what bro I'm from the states. You can play this game all you want but for colored people when the term savage was used it comes with racist connotations because during the colonial era that was a word used to describe people of color and our society. Not only that us being labeled "savages" was justification to treat us as shit and stomp all over the very culture we were raised in. You might as well say ***** doesn't directly refer to women as an insult because people in the scientific community use it as a descriptive for female dog.

Yes. I do know what a synonym means. Shame that the racist version of savage is more prevalent for colored people than the other.
You being American is quite simply irrelevant, you didn't answer the question. Its exclusive to black people apparently yet it, and its synonyms are used outside that realm today as it always has.
You're trying to make something out to be race specific when it simply isn't. Did you know that all those white Europeans that you think exclusively make use of the insult were themselves called savages by the Japanese, the Chinese, the Muslim powers of the middle ages, and so on?

Its a word, one that isn't actually in anyway racist in itself, and people are really stretching to make it out to be this big bad word. Take the poster who stated it was racist for the British Empire to call the Zulu people savages...no, its not racist just a description of what they were.

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
Rozalia1 said:
Dragonbums said:

You being American is quite simply irrelevant, you didn't answer the question. Its exclusive to black people apparently yet it, and its synonyms are used outside that realm today as it always has.
You're trying to make something out to be race specific when it simply isn't. Did you know that all those white Europeans that you think exclusively make use of the insult were themselves called savages by the Japanese, the Chinese, the Muslim powers of the middle ages, and so on?

Its a word, one that isn't actually in anyway racist in itself, and people are really stretching to make it out to be this big bad word. Take the poster who stated it was racist for the British Empire to call the Zulu people savages...no, its not racist just a description of what they were.
You keep saying it isn't race specific when it was used with racist connotations for over 300 years. That's not going to change because the last 40 years or so people use it exclusively for brutal things. As someone else above me stated different words can come in different connotations and meanings depending on context. And in this case the way DJ utilized the word savage was in the same way colonials and racists used it to further degrade and dehumanize people of color. You might as well say ****** isn't a homophobic slur because there are some people in other countries who say it in context of burning sticks and not an insult to homosexuals.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Dragonbums said:
You keep saying it isn't race specific when it was used with racist connotations for over 300 years. That's not going to change because the last 40 years or so people use it exclusively for brutal things. As someone else above me stated different words can come in different connotations and meanings depending on context. And in this case the way DJ utilized the word savage was in the same way colonials and racists used it to further degrade and dehumanize people of color. You might as well say ****** isn't a homophobic slur because there are some people in other countries who say it in context of burning sticks and not an insult to homosexuals.
Not the same thing. ****** as meat is a different meaning of the word, savage even if used in what you would say is a racist manner is still using the same meaning.
Once again people do not use savage and its synonyms exclusively on black people. Eastern Europeans, Muslims, and so on have such words thrown at them also.

It is only exclusive if you ignore all other instances because "murica" apparently, but even than I'm sure there are many instances of Muslims being called savage, or barbaric in America so even than you'd be wrong.

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
Rozalia1 said:
Dragonbums said:
Not the same thing. ****** as meat is a different meaning of the word, savage even if used in what you would say is a racist manner is still using the same meaning.
Once again people do not use savage and its synonyms exclusively on black people. Eastern Europeans, Muslims, and so on have such words thrown at them also.

It is only exclusive if you ignore all other instances because "murica" apparently, but even than I'm sure there are many instances of Muslims being called savage, or barbaric in America so even than you'd be wrong.
How is ****** different? Just like savage it has a different harmless meaning like burning sticks that is also used as a homophobic slur to homosexuals. Also why do you assume that people of color only refers to black people. Last time I checked Asians, those of Hispanic heritage, black people, and Middle Eastern fall under the people of color category. They are also people who were colonized. Which means they were also called savages, their cultures considered savage, and we're further degraded because of it. I've said this multiple times already in numerous posts but you keep ignoring that instance and still continue to deny the fact that savage has racist undertones like colonialism wasn't a fucking thing that happened to people around the world. Not just "murica".

EDIT: I would also like to add that the reason why ****** became associated with homosexuals was because during "witch" burnings, they would also kill homosexuals or those suspect of it as well. However they weren't even worth of being burned at the stake with the women, so they just threw them in the fire like they would do with faggots (sticks for burning). Thus ****** became associated with homosexuals because that's what people say and often did to them back then as well.

Captain Anon

Mar 5, 2012
josh4president said:
Judging from the bizarre racial tirade I would have thought Anthony had voiced Herbert Moon.
I'm surprised he's not the guy who voiced Herbert Moon but luckily we don't need him that badly for Red Dead 3, all is well