RAGE Devours Xbox 360 Hard Drives

noble cookie

Aug 6, 2010
My hard drive can only hold 20GB total, so yeah...

...I don't want it anyway but I laugh at the fact that I couldn't hold it unless I bought a new hard drive (which I plan on eventually doing because i have about 2 gigabytes left)

Worr Monger

Jan 21, 2008
RoseArch said:
This will certainly instill people with a lot of RAGE
*SLAP!!*

OT: RAGE can stretch its legs on my PC's 1TB drive. I'll even give it a massage.... I'll be its ***** later anyway.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
I though 10 GB games were ridiculous. Whatever happened to the old days of small games? Why does technology need to nom so much space, curse you SCIENCE!

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
*looks at my 12 GB HDD*

Well ol' buddy don't let em get you down. I've made due with my original HDD for a long, long time. What takes up about half of the space is Halo stuff. CE off the marketplace then custom content for Halo 3 and Reach along with the map packs stored on there.

Always gotta keep a strict limit to one or maybe two demos I can store at a time. Would be nice to get a bigger one but I don't have the money and the old one has served me well.

I wonder what causes the dev to be so horribly inefficient with using space when installing the game? If it was the 360's problem then why would this story be such news?

ShotgunZombie

Dec 20, 2009
Sparrow said:
Sheesh. I'm glad I upgraded to the 360 Slim.

Catchy Slogan said:
You don't have to install it though, right?
I'm fairly certain you don't, but it's not made crystal clear in the article.
From what I understand, no you don't have to uninstall it but the trade off is that game's quality and performance will suffer for it... Again that's just what I believe but I'm not a hundred percent sure...

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Earnest Cavalli said:
Catchy Slogan said:
You don't have to install it though, right?
Like I said, it kinda depends on how they structure the game. Given the open-world structure, it's entirely possible you'll have to. Otherwise you'd be switching DVDs every half hour as you wander the world.
Nope. It's structured in a linear fashion. You have large areas and hubs, much like The Witcher.
The downside to not installing it on the HDD is when turning around or loading a new area, you'll notice the blurriness and it will take up to half a second (at worst) to settle in. This will apparently be very noticeable.

Awexsome said:
*looks at my 12 GB HDD*

Well ol' buddy don't let em get you down. I've made due with my original HDD for a long, long time. What takes up about half of the space is Halo stuff. CE off the marketplace then custom content for Halo 3 and Reach along with the map packs stored on there.

Always gotta keep a strict limit to one or maybe two demos I can store at a time. Would be nice to get a bigger one but I don't have the money and the old one has served me well.

I wonder what causes the dev to be so horribly inefficient with using space when installing the game? If it was the 360's problem then why would this story be such news?
It's not a question of inefficiency. RAGE uses unique texturing throughout the world. Look at it this way, there are no tiled textures. When there are, they are few and far between. It essentially means that there is far more texture data in RAGE than your average game.

!!!To anyone else in this thread!!!

As he states in the video, RAGE's total uncompressed size exceeds one Terabyte.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
Is this on the PS3 too? Because my PS3 is only a 80gb, it would take up a quarter of my space! :mad:

ScrubberDucky

Feb 17, 2011
Yikes. I knew I should've shelled out another $300 for an Elite when they came out.

/sarcasm

But honestly, that free harddrive space would come in handy in recent times with this and the surfacing of widespread DLC.

I'm still torn on Rage. It MAY be a shining gem who perfectly blends FPS and RPG, or it may be bland rubbish with repetitive shooting and an art style that has been done and better. The "T" rating they were shooting for made me worry that they were cutting it down to reach a more widespread audience.

Too early to really decide, I guess. I'll wait until they release more on this.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
SteelStallion said:
Sucks for us first release console owners.

My harddrive is 20gb :( , and it only has 11gb free.
Really? Mine has all of 4 GB.

I guess that's what I get for buying one like a week after launch.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Assassin Xaero said:
So... what is it on PC then?
Almost certainly 22 GB.

They mention that is a full install, so it's most likely going to be the same size on PC. We'll see in a couple of months.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
See...I dont install games. Why? Cause I have the luxery of being a console gamer. The only time I bother, is if the disc is damaged or something. Sometimes it will work if you install it. Otherwise, I and my large collection of games, just use the disc.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Agayek said:
Assassin Xaero said:
So... what is it on PC then?
Almost certainly 22 GB.

They mention that is a full install, so it's most likely going to be the same size on PC. We'll see in a couple of months.
Wasn't sure if it'd be more or not, since it might come with mod tools, different features, etc. Either way, space is cheap, so not a big issue...

sunpop

Oct 23, 2008
Well you got pc and ps3 which can both do that no problem. Maybe microsoft should release a 360 that can handle blue ray instead of re releasing it in a new color with a bigger hdd and not fixing any problems on it.

As time goes on the reasons to own a console at all tend to fade as most exclusive games are generic shooters.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
otakon17 said:
Well, now I HAVE to get it for 360 if I'm going to get it at all. I only have a older model PS3, the sweet kind with the near complete backwards compatibility and all the extra media slots. But it's HDD is only like 20 GB. Still, that's why I got the 250 HDD for my Xbox.
You realise that getting an upgraded HDD for the PS3 is much cheaper, as all models support any 2.5 inch HDD (or SSD drive for that matter)

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Megacherv said:
otakon17 said:
Well, now I HAVE to get it for 360 if I'm going to get it at all. I only have a older model PS3, the sweet kind with the near complete backwards compatibility and all the extra media slots. But it's HDD is only like 20 GB. Still, that's why I got the 250 HDD for my Xbox.
You realise that getting an upgraded HDD for the PS3 is much cheaper, as all models support any 2.5 inch HDD (or SSD drive for that matter)
Really? But wouldn't that destroy my backwards compatibility. That's one of the reasons I love the older model much more than the newer one.