RAGE Devours Xbox 360 Hard Drives

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Strazdas said:
That's because Sony will let you plug any 2.5" SATA drive into your PS3... whereas MS HDDs have a wee bit of custom code frontending them (firmware based, iirc) and without that frontend the system will refuse to recognise the HDD.
Really? that i didnt knew. why does anyone still use eggsbox anyway?
Really. There are a few hacks that can let you use a standard 2.5" HDD in a 360 (because that's what they are, just with a bit of special code) but they used to flag your console as softmodded as far as MS/XBL was concerned. Dunno about these days, though.

As for why anyone uses one, no idea. I'm an out and out PC gamer.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
Skorpyo said:
And here I sit, laughing upon my pile of 620 Gb's of free space. Hell, my download will only take up around 15 Gb's of that space anyway.

PC now, PC always.

Metalrocks said:
sounds like the pc will be asking for this amount too. well, still thinking if i should get this game.
The total spec is 15 Gb. You can relax.
lol, im not worried about the amount. i have more then enough space. just the game it self im not really interested. and if i should get it, i will buy the disc version. when i downloaded duke nukem, took me like 10h to download it.

Apr 28, 2008
Korten12 said:
Irridium said:
Well, guess I'm getting Rage on the PC.

I still have a 20GB hard drive. And of that, only 13GB was ever available. No way I'm upgrading though. When I can pay $60 for one terabyte hard drives for my PC, no fucking way in hell am I paying $130 for a 120GB hard drive. Microsoft can go screw themselves on that.
$130 for a 120GB HDD? o_O

I got my 500GB ps3 HDD for less then $100.
PS3 is cool that way, you can use PC hard drives for it if they happen to fit.

Just put my previous one into it.

Then Sony went and released a slim model that doesn't let you do that, which made me sad.

EDIT: Seems I was wrong. As explained by Mr. Tea:

Mr.Tea said:
Not quite true.
Any notebook-sized HDD will fit, it's just that the largest HDDs in the 2.5" form factor exceed the normal thickness to fit an extra platter. The "standard" notebook hard drive thickness is 9.5mm, but 12.5mm thick ones are still being made because it's the only way to get to very high capacities (past a terabyte I think). So the PS3 slim can still fit any brand of 2.5" HDDs, just not the 12.5mm ones.
I swapped the one in our PS3 Slim from the 160Gb one that came with it for a 320Gb one I had recently switched out of my laptop and it was very easy.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Irridium said:
Then Sony went and released a slim model that doesn't let you do that, which made me sad.
Hmmm? Far as I know you can still put anything up to a 750GB 2.5" SATA drive in a PS3Slim. 1TBs don't fit in the drivecage, though. Too thick because of the extra platter they have.

Apr 28, 2008
RhombusHatesYou said:
Irridium said:
Hmmm? Far as I know you can still put anything up to a 750GB 2.5" SATA drive in a PS3Slim. 1TBs don't fit in the drivecage, though. Too thick because of the extra platter they have.
Really? Huh, guess I gotta give mine another look-over. Guess I just pulled a stupid...

poppabaggins

May 29, 2009
rossatdi said:
Catchy Slogan said:
You don't have to install it though, right?
Ding ding ding ... we have a winner.

Almost certainly will have relatively marginal impact on gameplay.
Carmack explains a lot about the impact in his video. Playing from the disc will result in severe texture pop-in and and choppier gameplay. I would be willing to put up with that, but it depends on your definition of marginal.

Elementlmage

Aug 14, 2009
RhombusHatesYou said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Can someone tell me why the 360 version is better?
More flexible memory usage. 360 has 512MB RAM shared between system and graphics while the PS3 has 256MB/256MB for each... that means that with the 360 should either require more than 256MB RAM usage they can use any 'spare' mem not utilised by the other.

Playing without an install brings into play the BRDs much lower data transfer speed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvd

BRD has 3.5x the data transfer speed of the DVD spec.

And Carmack DOES involve himself with game design. And, much like the restaurant manager who fancies himself a chef, it never ends well.

fundayz

Feb 22, 2010
So why is the game so big?

Elementlmage said:
"Playing without an install brings into play the BRDs much lower data transfer speed."

Quellan Thyde

Jul 11, 2011
Optimization can be a ***** sometimes, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try, Mr. Carmack. :)

(Also somewhat validates my choice to wait on the PC version.)

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
SteelStallion said:
Sucks for us first release console owners.

My harddrive is 20gb :( , and it only has 11gb free.
I'm on my third box (thanks RRoD!!!!!!!!!!), but still use the original one's HDD.
So it's also 20 GB for me in total.
In short, that requirement sucks, but the game probably does also :p

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Elementlmage said:
RhombusHatesYou said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Can someone tell me why the 360 version is better?
More flexible memory usage. 360 has 512MB RAM shared between system and graphics while the PS3 has 256MB/256MB for each... that means that with the 360 should either require more than 256MB RAM usage they can use any 'spare' mem not utilised by the other.

Playing without an install brings into play the BRDs much lower data transfer speed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvd

Yes but that's only when the drives are both running at the same multiplier. A 12x BRD will smoke a 12x DVD drive... However, the 2x BRD in the PS3 won't smoke the 12x DVD in a 360... it's got a slightly better minimum read speed but slower maximum read speed.

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
Sparrow said:
Sheesh. I'm glad I upgraded to the 360 Slim.

Catchy Slogan said:
You don't have to install it though, right?
I'm fairly certain you don't, but it's not made crystal clear in the article.
I used to have a 20GB drive, but then I got rid of that launch 360 and picked up an Elite last year.

Glad I did, those 120GBs seem to be coming in real handy lately.

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
Ugh, this might end up being the deciding factor on whether I buy the game or not. I have a 60GB drive for my 360, but I'm pretty sure it's close to only having 22GB left. I might be able to clear some room to make sure it all fits, but if it doesn't... too bad for id.

leevio

Nov 10, 2010
And this reason is why you buy games like Rage for the PC instead Xbox or PS.
With Vista/Win7 it is easy to install an controller and play the game as if you are playing on an Xbox without the limitation an Xbox brings.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Irridium said:

I still have a 20GB hard drive. And of that, only 13GB was ever available. No way I'm upgrading though. When I can pay $60 for one terabyte hard drives for my PC, no fucking way in hell am I paying $130 for a 120GB hard drive. Microsoft can go screw themselves on that.
any Idea what the PC specs might be?

if its being released on PS3 I'm tossing up between the two

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Vault101 said:
Irridium said:

any Idea what the PC specs might be?

if its being released on PS3 I'm tossing up between the two
nVidia 8600 or equivalent. (You can play it on a shittier gfx card)
A Core 2 Duo at 2.6ghz (probably a bit more).
2GB of RAM (For Sure)

Don't quote me on the processor speed. The rest I'm quite certain of.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
My console is from 2007 and has about 20GB HDD space in total, about 2GB of which remain free. If I were actually excited about this upcoming game and only owned my X360, I'd liken this kind of shit to... well, extortion.
In fact, let me do that anyway. Carmack, you can't tell me it's impossible to do this without a complete install - not after a 40GB game like God of War 3 took up a grand total of 5MB on my PS3 HDD and still managed to run in perfect fluidity.