RAGE Devours Xbox 360 Hard Drives

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
Well I have a 120GB HDD and I have loads of games installed and still have 34Gb left. So if I was to get rage, and it does look pretty cool so I might, I will be able to install it. Considering I still have loads of games installed that I don't even play anymore, I could probably delete a load of my installs. Since I usually only play like one game at a time, plus a couple of multiplayer games, I could delete all but the three or four titles I actually use.

Earnest Cavalli said:
Catchy Slogan said:
You don't have to install it though, right?
Like I said, it kinda depends on how they structure the game. Given the open-world structure, it's entirely possible you'll have to. Otherwise you'd be switching DVDs every half hour as you wander the world.
As for the idea of a 22GB install, it's a good idea for people with the space. IF it's mandatory, which I doubt, because to quote the quote article "It means you have to install 21-22GB of stuff, which takes a long time, but if you've got it and you play it on the 360 that's the only way to go." So it seems you can install all of it or none of it.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Yikes, 360 is really starting to show it's age, eh?

I have the old 20GB model, and while, I wasn't going to buy the game for the xbox anyway, kinda sucks for those in a similar situation but are intending to.

Chances are you probably won't have to, but, if it improves the gameplay performance, why wouldn't you? And if you can't, kinda missing out, aren't you?

Mister Benoit

Sep 19, 2008
mjc0961 said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
If nothing else, it offers Microsoft devotees some much-needed verbal ammunition for when their PlayStation-owning pals start ragging on them and praising the superiority of Blu-Ray.
And when they start doing that, I'm going to remind them that the "superiority" of Blu-Ray cost me 10-11 cases in LA Noire because the discs weren't big enough and tell them to shut up. Not that I care about Rage that much at the moment, but I've had enough of that idiocy from PS3 fanboys in the past and now it's turned out that their storage format caused content to be cut from a game, not 360's DVDs.

Mister Benoit said:
I refuse to pay their absurd prices for HDD's.
You should be able to get a bigger one for an old 360 for a much more reasonable price these days. Still sucks, but it's better than dealing with a dinky 20GB HDD.
Yeah, I just don't want to pay at least 80$ for a 250gig hdd when I could pick up a normal PC 2TB HDD for probably less than that.

I'm getting a new PC soon anyways and hopefully will be spending a lot more time on that anyways, everything seems cheaper on PC.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
Completely unrelated, but man does Carmack seem creepy. He's like a dessicated Stephen King with the eyes of a shark and the voice of the average Star Wars fan. Still a bloody genius, of course.

Anyway, can't you use an old external HDD? I'm pretty sure my run-of-the-mill 500gig Western Digital can be used for data storage via the 360, if you format it.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
There was another thread on the forums discussing the possible reasons for the massive HDD requirement. Some said it was RAM related, others suggested that the Xbox 360 simply can't compile data efficiently.

Seeing as the PC version of the game will be roughly 12 gigs, 10 gigs less than the console one, I'm curious as to the actual reason for such a high requirement.

Apr 29, 2010
Earnest Cavalli said:
Catchy Slogan said:
Like I said, it kinda depends on how they structure the game. Given the open-world structure, it's entirely possible you'll have to. Otherwise you'd be switching DVDs every half hour as you wander the world.
Sheesh, how many DVD's could it have?

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
geier said:
Oh my....this is an outrage !

Is what i would sayin if i were a console gamer, luckily i have three HDD's in my PC, the smallest is 400GB, second 1TB and a new one 1.5 TB, so...sucks to be YOU !!
I installed a 1TB HD on my ps3 so what you should be saying is sucks to be a 360 gamer

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
I'm getting this for PC if I'm getting it, but man, it's really to be able to slap pretty much any laptop SATA hard drive into a PS3 if you want. And not pay a stupid amount of money for no space.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
superbatranger said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
Catchy Slogan said:
2 for campaign. One for multiplayer. You'll have to swap discs EVERY TIME you want to play online.

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
mjc0961 said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
If nothing else, it offers Microsoft devotees some much-needed verbal ammunition for when their PlayStation-owning pals start ragging on them and praising the superiority of Blu-Ray.
And when they start doing that, I'm going to remind them that the "superiority" of Blu-Ray cost me 10-11 cases in LA Noire because the discs weren't big enough and tell them to shut up. Not that I care about Rage that much at the moment, but I've had enough of that idiocy from PS3 fanboys in the past and now it's turned out that their storage format caused content to be cut from a game, not 360's DVDs.

Mister Benoit said:
I refuse to pay their absurd prices for HDD's.
You should be able to get a bigger one for an old 360 for a much more reasonable price these days. Still sucks, but it's better than dealing with a dinky 20GB HDD.
How did blu ray cost you the cases? Surely it was disk?

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Well, now I HAVE to get it for 360 if I'm going to get it at all. I only have a older model PS3, the sweet kind with the near complete backwards compatibility and all the extra media slots. But it's HDD is only like 20 GB. Still, that's why I got the 250 HDD for my Xbox.

Apr 15, 2009
22gb dear lord that is so much space /sarcasm
feels good being a part of the PC-gaming master race :p

Dec 27, 2010
mjc0961 said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
No, I'm fairly certain Rockstar's decision to make the game multiplatform caused the loss of those cases, it has nothing to do with Blu-ray discs. Besides, L.A. Noire is long enough as it is.

LostNumber

Jul 17, 2009
And to think I was having trouble finding room to download the 1.3gb (I think that's the size) demo for From Dust.

I have 120 gb, but I'm a bit of a horder when it comes to installing games. I always think to myself that, as soon as I delete something, I'll want to play it. For instance, I haven't played Fallout:NV since March, but still have it installed.

I'm sure if I needed to I could clear out more than enough room, though. I hope for the sake of the original 360 owners that installing isn't necessary.

Apr 29, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
superbatranger said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
Catchy Slogan said:
2 for campaign. One for multiplayer. You'll have to swap discs EVERY TIME you want to play online.
I can see that getting annoying.

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
i really hope we dont HAVE to install. ill gladly play with the multiple discs (i believe Tim Willits said they have 2) and interchange them when i have to. did it for Dead Space 2 and Mass Effect 2, and those games never required a download.

if it does require an install i do have about 80 gigs to spare... i guess by the time i reach a low number, ill be long done playing RAGE. thats still a massive install, though x.x

Goldjit

Jun 21, 2011
SteelStallion said:
Sucks for us first release console owners.

My harddrive is 20gb :( , and it only has 11gb free.
I must say, I'm impressed you still have a 20gbs one. I started off with a 40gbs PS3 and I had to upgrade within a year. Got a 320gb but I'm still thinking about having more space.