RAGE QUIT!!!1!11!! >:(

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I've done it. You've done it. We've all done it. I challenge anyone who considers themselves a "gamer" to honestly say that they've never Rage Quit at anything. Granted, some of us rage quit a bit more "rage-ily" than others, but we've all been at the "OH FUCK THAT! *turn off console/computer*" moment.

This topic is asking for some of your "better" Rage Quit stories. What game were you playing, what caused the Rage Quit, and what were the regretable - though often cathartic - consequences of the Rage Quit?

One of my better ones was when I realized that playing Soul Calibur 4 online was like trying to stuff a cactus up my ass because everyone that plays it uses the same cheap/unavoidable move (I'm looking at you, Darth Vader...) that just murders the fuck outta you and there's nothing you can do about it. Evidently Taki has a move where she just does a quick little swipe with one of her blades down at your ankles. This is enough to cause you to stumble for a moment, which is just long enough for her to do it again, effectively stun-locking you if you get hit once by it.

Now to be fair, I'll say this was enough to make me rage quit, but what REALLY sent me over the edge was the fact that it was in the middle of August and my A/C wasn't working...needless to say I was already literally and figuratively hot under the collar.

Having had enough with these bullshit players and their bullshit tactics, I stood up, threw my controler, and turned around to punch a hole in the wall. Turning back around, I see that my controler had found its way into my TV set, requiring that I get a new one.

RAGE QUIT!!!!1!11!!! :mad:

DJjaffacake

Jan 7, 2012
I have one, off the top of my head.
While playing Viking Battle for Asgard, I'd been slowly working my way through a sort of stealthy, fight several minor bosses in succession kind of bit. Having almost reached the objective, I was killing the last few average level enemies, when one of the cunting cockbags knocked me off a cliff and into a river, causing me to drown. I promptly respawned right back at the start of the level, with my inventory all used up, but all the bad guys respawned. My response was, "Oh fuck you!" and I just hit the off switch.

Also, pro tip: acquire a beanbag or similar for the room in which you game. It provides an excellent target for your controller/target of rage/similar projectile. Satisfying to hit, but won't damage whatever you throw at it.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I'm not 100% that "better" rage stories are good considering the interesting ones are going to involve a highly unnecessary lashing out in anger that's probably not very healthy but I know what you're going for. I hated myself [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/538.361147-So-very-angry] for doing this and have actually been much much better about it since realizing what an ass I'm making of myself but for your entertainment:

I was playing a match in FIFA 12. Someone at EA must be married to Cristiano Ronaldo because I swear to God that if he gets the ball, they'll get a goal no matter what. A shot from 50 yards out? GOAL! A cross with my big man in front of him? GOAL! Goalie boots it forward and Ronaldo dances past five of my guys? GOAL!

I could feel the rage building as goal after goal goes in. Finally, at 6-0, I threw my controller and shut my 360 down. A few chairs get punched and I'm pacing back and forth like a bull. One last kick...

I kick the garbage can, which flies into the bathroom. The plastic garbage can itself cracks and breaks. The can, while flying into the bathroom, hits the sliding door which shatters the wood around the magnetic strips that allows the door to close. The garbage can continues to fly and puts a large hole in the wall.

baddude1337

Taffer
Jun 9, 2010
I can admit I have gone through 5 odd PS2 controllers and have also broken 3 Xbox 360 controllers (which is annoying as their damn expensive!)

Mostly on online games like Battlefield, but also a particularly shit game of FIFA manager mode where the AI dominates for no apparent reason.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
tippy2k2 said:
I'm not 100% that "better" rage stories are good considering the interesting ones are going to involve a highly unnecessary lashing out in anger that's probably not very healthy but I know what you're going for. I hated myself [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/538.361147-So-very-angry] for doing this and have actually been much much better about it since realizing what an ass I'm making of myself but for your entertainment:

I was playing a match in FIFA 12. Someone at EA must be married to Cristiano Ronaldo because I swear to God that if he gets the ball, they'll get a goal no matter what. A shot from 50 yards out? GOAL! A cross with my big man in front of him? GOAL! Goalie boots it forward and Ronaldo dances past five of my guys? GOAL!

I could feel the rage building as goal after goal goes in. Finally, at 6-0, I threw my controller and shut my 360 down. A few chairs get punched and I'm pacing back and forth like a bull. One last kick...

I kick the garbage can, which flies into the bathroom. The plastic garbage can itself cracks and breaks. The can, while flying into the bathroom, hits the sliding door which shatters the wood around the magnetic strips that allows the door to close. The garbage can continues to fly and puts a large hole in the wall.

Ahhh but when discussing Rage Quit stories, ones such as yours ARE the "better" ones! A "lame" Rage Quit story is just a frustrated turning off of the game and a litany of curses. "Good" Rage Quit stories involve property damage, such as my TV and controler and your door, wall, and trash can. :p

As my OP said, there's nothing to be ashamed of. We've all had Rage Quits, this is a topic to allow you to look back and laugh at what you did in your moment of breaking that you immediately regreted once the rage had left and was replaced with the "Oh shit!" that comes with realizing you're busting up your own stuff.

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
I often rage quit when I can't finish a level in a campaign, or a really hard boss fight..

Like the Forest Temple in Ocarina of Time. Music really drove me mental.

Jynthor

Mar 30, 2012
Back when CoD 4 was still "the game" many things were destroyed because of multiplayer.

At the moment I'm raging at Space Marine Multiplayer, mostly because of lag that always seems to favour the opponent. We're talking melee weapons with the range of a shotgun lag here. How I hate Assault/Raptors... Oh how very much I hate them.
Multiplayer really makes me a terrible person.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Sean Hollyman said:
Like the Forest Temple in Ocarina of Time. Music really drove me mental.
:p While I never found to Forest Temple to be that difficult, I can definitely agree that every time I played that game and got to that point, I remember thinking "Dude, seriously, I think this music is specifically designed to drive people insane."

Jynthor said:
Multiplayer really makes me a terrible person.
:p that's a very common side-effect of Multiplayer that afflicts many gamers. They're bored with single player but RAGE at Multiplayer.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Once broke my TV due to a ragequit. Never throw a controller unless you know where it's gonna land :S

It was over the second Prince of Persia game as well, bit stupid really...

Oh recently I ragequited over dying to a Cassiopeia's poison in League of Legends. I stuck around on low health for way too long cuz i want mah farm dangit! Should have taken Teleport!

Turns out shutting your laptop makes LoL's Adobe launcher thingie have a fit and ask for an error report to be sent. Lulz

I hate dying in the lane phase... If it's with another person then fine whatever but in the 1v1 lanes it's "you fucked up son"

I get way too demotivated over that stuff. One death? This game is over *sulks in a corner*

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
I hate the person in TF2 who came up with the idea of random critical hits. No, mini-crits and critical hits are fine, if you earn them by doing a specific task. My favorite weapons, such as the Kritzreig, Sniper Rifle, Eyelander, Axetinguisher, and the Frontier Justice all are weapons that reward the player with playing well by giving you critical hits.

But random critical hits? There is literally NO other reason for them to exist BUT to screw some guy over who probably should not have died so fucking pathetically. It's the most chickenshit strategy for a newbie to get ahead over the advanced player, by sheer, bullshitted, 'of COURSE you got that' luck. You have better gear, skill, health, backup, and perception of the problem at hand, BUT YOU WILL FUCKING LOSE BECAUSE OF A 4% CHANCE THAT HAPPENS TO *YOU* AND ONLY *YOU*, AND IT WILL NEVER GO AWAY IN VANILLA SERVERS.

You have four heads on your Eyelander, you're running almost as fast as a Scout, you have more health than a Soldier, you have a shield granting damage resistance to the biggest hitters of damage, BUT THAT ONE SNIPER WILL HIT YOU *ONCE* WITH A CRITWACKA AND END IT

You fighting a Pyro and spamming flames? WHOOPS SON HIS FLAMETHROWER GOT A RANDOM CRIT FUCK YOU

You running around a corner from a Heavy? WELL HEY THERE, I'M JUST A CRIT BULLET THAT HE RANDOMLY GOT THAT IS GOING TO TRAVEL AROUND THE CORNER AND KILL YOU

Trying to melee that fucking Spy who OH HEY ONE CRIT BULLET THAT IS GOING TO SUCK DOWN AT THE MINIMUM HALF OF YOUR HEALTH

Fuck them. But the worst rage I've had is where I screamed myself hoarse (alone at home) and repeatedly bashed on my desk.

springheeljack

Red in Tooth and Claw
May 6, 2010
There was this one part of Marc Eckō's Getting Up: Contents Under Pressure(got what a long name) anyway your character Trane played by Talib kweli is on the top of a subway station trying to avoid all of the god damn obstacles that occur at every turn and it really pisses me off because I never know when to expect it anyway I get through all the obstacles and find out oh I also have to spray graffiti on the subways while jumping from one to another while avoiding those stupid fucking obstacles

So after about 10 tries and I said fuck it and I did not pick it up again

Oh and that last mission of grand theft auto 4 I for the life of my can not make that ramp it pisses me off every fucking time

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Worst nerd rage I have ever seen: Ex boyfriend punches me because I get server first ZG raptor in WOW.

I don't even...

TheYellowCellPhone said:
Yeah aren't they just the funnest thing ever *eyetwitch*

For some reason if the same spy kills me over and over it just drives me insane. Seems so cheap when you are on the receiving end.

Steephill

May 17, 2012
Happens to me when I play single player games for 5 or more hours straight. I get to a point where I get stuck and just say forget it. When I get on later or the next day I usually get past it my first or second try. Multiplayer games not so much, but I'm usually towards the top of the scoreboard anyways.

xshadowscreamx

Dec 21, 2011
losing in a sports game, is i dont some first in the comp what the point..NRL on ps2 for me (rugby league football)....

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Never rage quited when I was younger, I cry-quit.

Also, the only time I only said "NOPE, NOT DOING THIS!" out of rage was the last levels of Super Meat Boy.

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
Alex Kidd on the Genesis caused me more than once to hurl the cartridge and controller across the room. It survived several such treatments, a testament to the durability of cartridges.

Sep 14, 2009
tippy2k2 said:

hahaha wow, sorry but it is a bit hilarious ^_^

OT: I have two that are notable, one was my brother, we were playing some halo back in the day and I picked up the sniper and he could screen peek and see I was about to get him when he was going for the rocket launcher, so i camped my scope right on the rockets and he said "DON'T YOU DARE, I'M GONNA GET THOSE ROCKETS!" and RIGHT when he steps over them and picks them up, WHAAMMMM HEADSHOT! and he goes ":LSKFDJ:SD I TOLD YOU NOT TO!" and (while standing) throws the big original xbox controller down as hard as he can, the thing explodes, putting a dent in the wood floor and sending the pieces scattering like it had just been used in the hadron collider.

Yes I was angry he broke my controller, but, it was hilarious at the same time seeing him QQ in rage, so it was worth it :p

for me, I remember back in the day getting so fucking frustrated with any kind of game involving fighting (as a kid, reflexes are a bit slower, yadda yadda yadda...) and I can't remember what game it was exactly, I wanna say possibly mortal kombat on hard? can't remember which one, I think it was motaru though, and he would screen slap me with his huge ass tail back and forth like a frickin volleyball on the screen, and no matter what I tried he'd teleport and smash me from either side, usually 2-3 hitting me each time. After like around 15 times of taking that shit, I would sit there with my face smashed up against the tv (my nose hurt later from pushing up against it so hard) screaming at him "SO YOU LIKE BEING A LITTLE ***** DO YOU?!?! FUCKIN CHEAP ASS FUCKER, I'M GONNA SHIT DOWN YOUR THROAT MOTARU!" and was nearly tearing up in rage, and he ended up grab/choke throwing me for the final hit in the next fight, and i got so frustrated that I slammed the controller down, picked it up, gripped the living shit out of it, then decided to bite it as hard as I could? Not sure why, was just too angry at the time.

Let me tell you, that bloody hurt after the fact, my gums were killing me for the next hour, hard plastic is not good for your mouth lol

Yeah...since then, I've avoided fighting games a bit.

Sep 14, 2009
Moonlight Butterfly said:
Yeah aren't they just the funnest thing ever *eyetwitch*

For some reason if the same spy kills me over and over it just drives me insane. Seems so cheap when you are on the receiving end.
well that's just it, with even remotely decent gear, any spy can be the biggest piece of shit in the world, they can sit in any random corner that people usually don't run into, but run by, and get bare minimum one kill.

a remotely decent percent with JUST okay gear as a spy? most annoying fucking thing in the world, even as a pyro, you won't counter them sometimes just on the fact they can either sometimes jump into water or have the dead ringer and it's hard as hell to chase them down when you don't remotely run as fast or same speed as them.