Rage Review

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Rage Review

Rage is an enjoyable re-entry into the post-apocalypse.

Read Full Article

Neotericity

Legal Assassin
May 20, 2009
I already have this game preordered, but glad you can reconfirm that it's the type of game I wanted, purty stoked! Great review.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I called the Borderlands Comparison the minute I saw red eyed power armored troopers with giant riot shields.

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
Ah, id. It's been too long, my friend. Hopefully this isn't like Doom 3, where it blows my mind for the first several hours but eventually gets tedious and dull.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
The difference between World War II and a post-apocalyptic setting is that, in World War II, you're more or less restricted to, well, World War II. On the other hand, the post-apocalypse can take any number of forms, and is restricted only by the imagination. The problem these days is that there doesn't seem to be any room in the imaginations of developers for anything other than dirt brown-coloured shootery settings, with a few notable exceptions. Take, for instance, Enslaved: Odyssey to the West. It's set in a post-apocalyptic landscape but, given only a cursory glance at a few screen shots, and the current perception of what defines a post-apocalyptic world, you'd never know it. While not redefining the context, it at least shows a modicum of imagination.

I love the idea of the post-apocalypse in general; what I hate is that they all look exactly the same, when there's absolutely no need. We've already seen this wasteland before, in 30 or so other games; it's just being lazy.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
It's been a long time since I've been a big id fan but this sounds decent. Maybe I'll have to look into it once the price drops.

Neotericity said:
I already have this game preordered, but glad you can reconfirm that it's the type of game I wanted, purty stoked! Just wish you had mentioned the length of the game, but other than that great review.
Umm.. it does mention the length. :)

Darth Rahu

Critic of the Sith
Nov 20, 2009
Nice review Justin but 12-14 hours? Also, I am getting a little tired of post-apocalypse settings (currently still playing Fallout 3) and aren't exactly a graphic whore. Might check it out later on down the line but still, good stuff.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Looks interesting and I'm glad to see the races serve a purpose unlike R* games that just throw them in there as mission fillers.

From the cut scenes I'm still curious why the guy has a sign saying iku
<(to go)behind him.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Meh. Couldn't get any sort of excitement for this game. Vehicle sections are always a turn off to me, and this game strikes up too many similarities to other games to warrant a look. I thought the graphics were supposed to be ultra realism too when this was first announced. Looks more like Borderlands to me. Oh well. Pass.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
gphjr14 said:
Looks interesting and I'm glad to see the races serve a purpose unlike R* games that just throw them in there as mission fillers.

From the cut scenes I'm still curious why the guy has a sign saying iku
<(to go)behind him.
Yes...that's the common use of that word ;).

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
It's a shame I don't have $60 to fork over this game right now. It sucks to be poor =(

Oh well, I'll wait until one of the Steam sales, or until next year's QuakeCon deals.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Yes...that's the common use of that word ;).[/quote]

Yeah and I wonder what context it really holds or is it the random crap you see in videogames
like the Russian texts in COD.

(sarcastic) ;)

vivster

Oct 16, 2010
good thing i'm wholly sick of the post apocalyptic setting

...until borderlands 2

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
Uninteresting Story and a Wasteland Setting that i feel like i've seen once to often in recent years.

And since this is the most positive review i've read yet, i'll pass for now.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Huh, I wasn't that interested in this game but I guess I'll give it another look and dig around some more.

RaphaelsRedemption

Eats With Her Mouth Full
May 3, 2010
Seeing how I haven't finished the Borderlands DLC yet, and want to level up for a good shot at Cramerax, before Borderlands 2, I think I'll give this a miss. It look derivative, and (in my opinion) the art style simply doesn't have the cel-shaded flair of Borderlands, while it also hasn't shown the same level of humour intrinsic to the game world, something Borderlands excelled at.

In short, while this is probably a well-made, competant game, for me it seems to be too close to Borderlands, while still lacking some elements that made Borderlands a great game in my eyes. I am sure others will thoroughly enjoy it, but I won't be trying it out for a while (at least until it's on sale).