Rage (The Game)

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Yeaaaaaaaaaaah.
Only played the demo and I thought it was really dull. Nice looking, great animations, fucking boring as a game.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Akalabeth said:
Whoa! Hey, look at the time. I need to be anywhere but with people who get offensive and blow one sentence out of proportion.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
daveman247 said:
I lost interest after a few hours, glad i only borrowed it. Which is a shame because the actual shooting was really good (great animation, decent AI). It just lacked the interesting weapons and charm of ID's past games or similar games (fallout, borderlands) :/

I think i read something that described it as " a really good tech demo". I think thats quite accurate.
Quoted in total to second everything that's been said.

I actually bought it and I was... pretty underwhelmed.

Still, if OP is a 'fan' of everything id, I think it's an important title, as it's really mainly a tech demo to sell the id Tech 5 engine... not sure if that worked out alright yet, but it's obvious that it's 'inspired' other engines.

I must say that I enjoyed playing the game, even though the driving annoyed me and the ending was a bit... abrupt, to say the least. The shooting and moving on foot is pretty much Doom/Quake/Wolfenstein 5.0, which I enjoyed. The texture pop-in is pretty horrible, no matter what console or far-out PC hardware you throw at it (or throw it at), but that's part of how the engine works... if you've played, say, Borderlands 2, you already know the deal, even though it's 'just' a modified Unreal Engine 3. No texture - basic texture - OK texture - move someplace else, and the little texture pop-in or crawl-in sub-game starts anew... a little harsh on the eyes, but super good for resource management and that small memory footprint I hear.

From a gameplay experience standpoint, I think Bulletstorm on Unreal Engine 3.5 was much better/fresher/more fun.

If OP is into post-apocalyptic FPS wild rides, I think RAGE fits the bill. If OP wants to stay in touch with what id is up to, RAGE is a must have (played). At no point did it impress me like Wolfenstein 3D or the various Dooms and Quakes did. As a playable tech demo, I liked it.

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
I thought it was crap. Mind you, very well made "crap," but still nothing short of it.

If you're an old fan of id games, don't expect this title to live up to those memories. It's like the developers had set out to make a game as bland as it is pretty and fascinating to look at.

I mean the game had great visual storytelling, and I remember the buzz before the title had hit stores coming from everyone. But once we had a chance to play it, I, myself, couldn't do nothing but shake my head on how soulless the game was.

First off - as a first person shooter - the guns looked alright, but there wasn't any charm to them like the guns in the Fallout series. Nothing equivalent to the choo choo gun (the railroad rifle in Fallout), and firing them felt like I was firing pallets.

The game is know for it's death animations, but in game they felt like a practice in futility because they did everything possible to make the deaths as unspectacular as possible, even with all the blood and gore.

As for the story, just forget it. It was one of those stories you could pretty much predict and know everything after the first 5mins a playing. And the way they told it was bland and uninteresting. Just another tale about being some common tribes "only hope" against an organisation know as the "authority." No Lord Humonngus here. You will pretty much spend two thirds of the game not knowing who the badguys are because they're so badly implementing that you won't even care.

If there's one word to describe the game - out of all the words I used earlier - I'd say soulless would be the word to best describe that game. Also crap.

:p

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Triforceformer said:
Ask me when the PC version WORKS.
Ooh. What this guy said.

When I actually bothered trying it, 50% of the time it would crash on loading screens, it had abysmally ugly textures in shadowed areas and just inside of places, my pistol bugged out and the chamber was sitting in the upper-right corner of my screen while I was still holding the gun like normal, and the texture pop-in, OH GOD, the pop-in.

The animations were pretty good, but that's about the only nice thing I have to say about it.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
It's a good game, but it's ultimately just an average and forgettable experience.
You're not missing much by skipping this game.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
It's a decent game, but it doesn't do enough new to be truly memorable. I finished it months ago, and all I remember now was how fucking gorgeous the sky was half the time, and how mad Wing Sticks were.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Rage lived up to its name, it caused me to rage because the PC version was absolute garbage. Oh god how fun it was to watch that unskippable intro because even if you saved right after the intro, unless you got to the first town it would force you do everything all over again. Yea have fun trouble shooting the problem with that shit. Rage to me is pretty much the quintessential example of how little some developers care about the PC market.

SonOfMethuselah

Oct 9, 2012
Animations are top-notch, some of the weapon/ammo combos you get are pretty cool, nice variety of ways to kill you some bandits, pretty graphics (minus the horrendous pop-in. Seriously: what's up with that). Honestly, mechanically, it's one of the best shooters to hit the market in a long time. But the story is dreadful, the characters are totally forgettable, the second-half of the game takes the plot that you're only just getting into and rushes it to conclusion...

If this game had've had a story that was even slightly well-crafted, it would have been one of the best shooters to hit the market last year. As it is, it's just a pretty (again, ignoring the texture pop-in), well-animated time-sink. If it's cheap enough, buy it just to enjoy the visceral feel of the shooting, but it's not going to be a game you remember. Probably one of the biggest disappointments I've had with a game: there was so much potential there, but the story (or lack thereof) ruined it all.

Like I said, though, from a mechanical standpoint, totally worth it.

Oh, yeah, afterthought: the driving works pretty well, too. Nothing mind-blowing, but passable.

Sangreal Gothcraft

Feb 28, 2011
For a game that takes big chunk of gigabytes, it is rather bland and your run of the mill shooter, pretty forgettable Plot(Not much of a plot) ....Animations look god and Shotgun is very gratifying, but it is nothing special...also the game on the PC version has TERRIBLE texture pop in. VERY VERY terrible...it's pathetic. I picked it up for 5$.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
It looks amazing, and a lot of the guns have some real heft behind them and feel individual; more than I can say for most modern shooters.

On the downside the story is abysmal, quests get repetitive and, if you are a fan of trophy-hoarding there are some obnoxiously difficult ones (such as the knife mini-game and the fact that you only get one chance to get certain collectables.)

I got it for a fiver when GAME were on the brink of administration, though, and I'd say it's worth at least fifteen quid.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
shrekfan246 said:
(snip snip snop)...and the texture pop-in, OH GOD, the pop-in.

The animations were pretty good, but that's about the only nice thing I have to say about it.
Aye. At times, it felt like the textures were enjoying a coffee in the id kitchen, shooting up smack instead of taking part in the game or as if they were actually on strike, boycotting the game.

The first time it happens, it's a pretty shitty experience, and it's just not something to get used to. Skyrim had its fair share of technical issues, I vividly remember some of the characters or pieces of scenery (pillars, trees) just sitting there in their naked white/pink glory, but that happened maybe half a dozen times in a +200h run. In RAGE, the texture pop-in is not a bug, it's a feature to keep the performance high and the framerate (which is awesome in shootouts) up. It's so fluid it actually made me dizzy and sick a couple of times, all without 3D or a caffeine overdose.

And yes, while the whole package is quite forgettable, I really enjoyed the Mad Max / Fallout / Borderlands craziness of it all. Enemy types are limited, but need decidedly different approaches in order to outwit them or whittle them down. AI was at times impressive with teamwork against the player. Oh, and while I really hated the driving, it was much, much better than the, uh, bumping into things in Borderlands 2. I still can't parallel park in Borderlands 2, and while I get the more videogame RC approach to commandeering a vehicle, when things get rough and tough, I am bound to want to do things like in real life, which is a bad idea in Borderlands 2. The driving in RAGE is mostly boring, but at least it's more like one would expect proper driving to be handled. The driving of Borderlands 2 felt best when it's not a car, but a floaty desert boat a la Star Wars.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
Alrighty then, the majority opinion seems to be an overwhelming "meh".

Thank you all for taking the time to give me your input. I usually manage to have fun with underrated shooters (someone mentioned Singularity, which I loved!), so I'm expecting some fun out of this. I ended up getting both it and Binary Domain.

epidemia

Nov 24, 2012
SadisticFire said:
It was alright, though I don't remember much of it other then having to tweak the settings so it doesn't look like everything is made out of clay, and it being unnecessarily big.(21gigs) Was hoping it feels kinda like a linear Fallout 3 kinda.
Yeah, I mainly joined to talk about Xcom. From what Ive seen here, many posters try to be Yahtzee-lite and post scathing comments about games they didnt like but honestly Rage doesnt reek of squandered potential like say Red Dead Redemption nor is it offensively awful. How many adjectives is there for "dull"? One specific thing I can point out is the cartoonishly exaggerated animations when NPCs are talking to you. its like watching one of those people dressed up in mascot costumes.

kommando367

Oct 9, 2008
Pretty good game, but a little too short. I liked the way the bandits would dodge your attacks and a shotty w/ explosive slugs was fucking awesome to use against everything but the final enemies. It's also damn near impossible to die in combat once you get the second defibrillator upgrade and that screws with the challenge. Overall, 7.5/10

SadisticFire

Oct 1, 2012
epidemia said:
SadisticFire said:
It was alright, though I don't remember much of it other then having to tweak the settings so it doesn't look like everything is made out of clay, and it being unnecessarily big.(21gigs) Was hoping it feels kinda like a linear Fallout 3 kinda.
Yeah, I mainly joined to talk about Xcom. From what Ive seen here, many posters try to be Yahtzee-lite and post scathing comments about games they didnt like but honestly Rage doesnt reek of squandered potential like say Red Dead Redemption nor is it offensively awful. How many adjectives is there for "dull"? One specific thing I can point out is the cartoonishly exaggerated animations when NPCs are talking to you. its like watching one of those people dressed up in mascot costumes.
I didn't mean to imply it was bad, just wasn't was I was expected. It had several good moments after I got everything fixed, but it wasn't spectacular or amazing. And I noticed I mis-constructed a sentence, and shoulda just typed "It feels kinda like a linear Fallout 3", my bad.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
It was a very fun game while it lasted, had really great graphics, AI, and facial animations.

The story was kind of shit, ending without the conflict even being resolved or the main villain being beaten, just... ending...

And I hated how they constantly re-used the same dungeons twice for a main mission and then a side mission, but didn't re-fill the level with any drops or items... Made it feel pretty pointless to do them since you got almost nothing out of it.

Overall it was a game I enjoyed quite a bit while I was playing it but it didn't achieve anything remarkable or really cement itself as a memorable game to me.

Rednog said:
Rage lived up to its name, it caused me to rage because the PC version was absolute garbage. Oh god how fun it was to watch that unskippable intro because even if you saved right after the intro, unless you got to the first town it would force you do everything all over again. Yea have fun trouble shooting the problem with that shit. Rage to me is pretty much the quintessential example of how little some developers care about the PC market.
I played Rage on the PC and I had ZERO technical issues with it other than the horrendous texture popin that everyone else is mentioning. I played it well after launch though so maybe they fixed the issues since then?

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
RAGE was bland and wholly average in most respects. A competent shooter with a fairly bad and uninspiring ending.

I was lucky to get the game working on my computer, but i think that's because i never let the last patch install (which i had heard broke Vsync again).