RAGEQUIT!

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
ilovemyLunchbox said:
Do people actually think running away from fights you can't win makes you a winner?
There is one way quitting can equal victory, when you quit just to spite your teammates.

Example time!:

Once upon a time a man in his early twenties was playing a game of League of Legends, he was new to the character he was playing as but by no means was our intrepid hero doing badly.

Unfortunately the big bad cockends on his team decided that because our hero tended to be the only survivor of fights gone wrong due to being ranged support and knowing when to run they all decided to blame him! Our brave hero endured the waves of abuse for a full ten minutes before finally succumbing to pettiness and deciding that despite the game looking like a victory for his team he would quit the game and laugh and laugh at their inevitable defeat.

Yes, it was a moral victory.

Forgetitnow344

Jan 8, 2010
Ickorus said:
ilovemyLunchbox said:
Do people actually think running away from fights you can't win makes you a winner?
There is one way quitting can equal victory, when you quit just to spite your teammates.

Example time!:

Once upon a time a man in his early twenties was playing a game of League of Legends, he was new to the character he was playing as but by no means was our intrepid hero doing badly.

Unfortunately the big bad cockends on his team decided that because our hero tended to be the only survivor of fights gone wrong due to being ranged support and knowing when to run they all decided to blame him! Our brave hero endured the waves of abuse for a full ten minutes before finally succumbing to pettiness and deciding that despite the game looking like a victory for his team he would quit the game and laugh and laugh at their inevitable defeat.

Yes, it was a moral victory.
I've been in similar situations. Like I said, the game I'm good at and played a lot for a couple of years recently was Halo 3. But in that game, the MVP is highlighted immediately after the fight. Even if your team LOST, you can still win MVP. So what do I do when everyone is blaming me for everyone else sucking dick? I wear my MVP status like a boss. And I usually got MVP status. I'll gloat here and now, but I never teabagged and I never talked shit. I let my scores do the talking. Even if I wanted to blame someone for how bad our team was doing, when the MVP was listed as ilovemyLunchbox, I really didn't need to care about what anyone else had to say, because Halo thought I was more valuable than them.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
ilovemyLunchbox said:
In Fighting Games, Rage quitting is very common. It's sad, but I LOVE catching them. Sometimes, they send me some salty messages.
What's nice(to me at least) is that there is a site to post players Rage quitting in several games. http://www.rage-quitters.com/

Azo Galvat

Mar 3, 2011
I rage quit when my team is being worthless and we're getting stomped. And even then, I usually take all of my losses, no matter what.

But it's no fun getting stomped repeatedly, so leaving to find a new lobby or game is a pretty fair tactic, especially if half your team left before the game even started. This guy sounds like he sees it too much.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Azo Galvat said:
I rage quit when my team is being worthless and we're getting stomped. And even then, I usually take all of my losses, no matter what.

But it's no fun getting stomped repeatedly, so leaving to find a new lobby or game is a pretty fair tactic, especially if half your team left before the game even started. This guy sounds like he sees it too much.
That's usually in shooters right?

Danceofmasks

Jul 16, 2010
Well, on topic, there really isn't a problem with quitting for any reason, so long as:
It counts as a loss if you do.

I mean, it's what happens in starcraft ... nobody every plays to the end (every building somebody has is destroyed), but they'll concede defeat and quit.

Jinx_Dragon

Jan 19, 2009
Your friend, well he does embody everything wrong with some gamers these days but not for the rage quitting... it is for the trollish behavior of having to find people weaker then himself to push around.

Personally: I prefer to play against people that can kick my arse. Given the years on years of FPS gaming I have under my belt, I consider myself to be fairly good when it comes to this genre. To come across someone legitimately better then myself is a nice challenge and I am more then likely to befriend these sort of people just so I can keep track of them. I want to know where they are, so I can play against them more in the future. Why would I want to play against someone better then me? So I get better at the game myself, of course! You never learn and progress your skill level playing against people you can beat in your sleep.

This sort of mentality also leads to having the teams best interest above your own. I see no problem being the 'polish mine detector' if it means the person behind me doesn't have to worry about getting his own arse shot by a sniper that he now knows the location of. I am more then willing to sit back at the objective even if it means I only see battle once or twice in the whole game, just to ensure no one takes it from us. It would be my pleasure to guard the entrance to the sniper nest, if it means you can focus more on taking out those attacking head on without worrying about your own back.

This is because I care more about my side winning the game, and often the mini-accomplishments towards that goal, then my personal score. Sure, I can say that because my K:D often is in the positives even with this mentality, but you will find the game more fun if you keep the objectives above personal gain and strangely, those personal gains follow more and more after you realize an organized team beats a disorganized one every time. This is because it leads you into a whole new area of gaming: tactical planning!

You see, those mini-accomplishments mean a hell of a lot more then any K:D rate. After all, you will always forget what your K:D rate is by the end of the next round, but when you take out two enforced defense positions and achieve the objective through superior tactics? Well it sticks in mind for a lot longer and is far bigger a boost to your moral then just a good K:D rate which you can get by hiding in a lone corner and picking off a few stragglers.

I still have flash backs to the time where we choked an enemies advance so heavily they couldn't move two feet towards the goal and not because I killed 15 of them in a minute but because the whole team worked like a greased machine to make it possible. I still shiver at the times where I was part of a two or three man team working so well together that the enemy couldn't organize enough to defend a single objective, let alone the whole map, from our hit and run strikes. Often with me being nothing more then the guy who is defending the choke holds needed to ensure my team mates have a safe path to constantly push against the enemy regardless of our own losses. I can not even count the times I get set up in the enemies base as a engineer on TF2, getting only one or two kills because of how slow the action is down there but single handedly making it possible for someone else to cap the intelligence and be back to pick up the next lot within ten seconds. Doesn't matter I usually end up half way down the list in points then... I know I was far more valuable to the team then just K:D rates.

And isn't that what matters, those periods where you do so well that you cream your pants just thinking back on them?

As for rage quitting itself... well this is a game. If you are not having fun playing this game, then leaving it to find something better is not a bad idea. I, personally, do not hold a rage quit against someone simply because they are not having fun. I have even done it myself at times because I believe the number one thing of any game is entertainment. If I become to demoralized by outside elements to the point I can not focus on the game, if I end up feeling useless to the team and feel someone else should take my slot that might help better or if I'm just running into a wall of cheaters and no skill can be gained from over coming them... well why should I stick around just because it is considered somehow faux pas to leave?

Your friend... yeah, he is a troll and nothing more.

Jinx_Dragon

Jan 19, 2009
Joel Dawson said:
Ragequitters are actually kind of hilarious to listen to especially when their complaints get ridiculous. One guy left a match right before it ended because "the light was in his eyes." But yeah, ragequitting gets really ridiculous. It's like they take it as a personal insult to lose even once.
Light was in his eyes?

Ummm, it is a LED or CRT monitor... those things create light. Light is always going to be in your eyes....

Ridiculous excuse is ridiculous!

Jinx_Dragon

Jan 19, 2009
Simple Bluff said:
Look, if ragequitting annoys you THAT much, they're winning.

Sometimes I quit out of matches where my team is being completely whitewashed. Not because I'm raging, but because being stomped on to a ludicrous extent just isn't fun.
Also, I admired that person for taking pride in ragequitz. Not because I support that kinda thing, but damn, it's nice to see someone who finds enjoyment in such a small thing :)
I will even 'rage quit' from such game when I am on the winning team that is doing all the stomping. There is no fun to be had when your team is just kicking the arse of people so far below your skill level. Hell, if I get the chance I might even swap teams to see if I can sway the odds into their favor but if not? Then normally I will seek another server or game because that sort of one sidedness is not fun for me, regardless which side I am on.

I seek challenge... where is that mentality these days?

Vault boy Eddie

Feb 18, 2009
I have a ragequitting friend as well. I play blops at his house on PS3, I have it on PC but don't play it cause the devs decided it was better as a paperweight, so basically I only play at his house, which is maybe 1-2 every 2 weeks.

He will ragequit anytime I start scoring more than him, if his k/d goes under .500, non stop excuse after excuse. It's very annoying playing with someone like that because we hardly ever finish a game. Even if we do finish a game, if we lost he quits the lobby cause he says they are gonna stick us with the crappy players again.

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
The next time your friend tells you he's a "professional gamer" tell him he isn't, he's a professional ragequitter. And that professional ragequitter = n00b gamer.

Jinx_Dragon

Jan 19, 2009
ilovemyLunchbox said:
otterhead said:
You're argument/story was interesting and well written until you threw in some random homophobia. Thanks. Or was that irony?
It was a joke thrown in by an adult who knows when and when not to take words seriously. I'll get in this argument right now if that's what you want, but you have to be out of your skull to think that was a homophobic remark.
Seconded...

I for one feel that 'fag' is no longer our word but mutated into something more along the lines of any other curse word that can be applied to someone. It no longer means a homosexual, unless clearly used in that context, and to jump to the conclusion any use of it is homophobic is no longer accurate. Hell, it was derived from the word ****** which means 'bundle of sticks.' If it can go from describing a bunch of fire wood stacked together into a word for homosexual then why can't it move on to something else?

We in the gay community just have to accept that ******, and fag by association, is no longer one of our words.

It's how English works, we just have to deal with it.

Fenix7

Jun 14, 2011
I have been playing DotA semi-competitevely for more than 3 years and I have never ragequitted. Ever.

I hate the act, so many people do it but I think it's disrespecting to the opponent. Even when I play Magic: The Gathering, I never concede even if my defeat is obvious and instead wait till my opponent finishes me off.

I'd like others to that for me too, but it seldom happens :(.

Forgetitnow344

Jan 8, 2010
Jinx_Dragon said:
Seconded...

I for one feel that 'fag' is no longer our word but mutated into something more along the lines of any other curse word that can be applied to someone. It no longer means a homosexual, unless clearly used in that context, and to jump to the conclusion any use of it is homophobic is no longer accurate. Hell, it was derived from the word ****** which means 'bundle of sticks.' If it can go from describing a bunch of fire wood stacked together into a word for homosexual then why can't it move on to something else?

We in the gay community just have to accept that ******, and fag by association, is no longer one of our words.

It's how English works, we just have to deal with it.
I look at it the way Louis C.K. does.

As kids, we just used the word ****** to make fun of each other. If a kid stood at a urinal with his pants around his ankles, he was a fag. We didn't think, "Oh, he fucks men," we thought, "Haha, look at that fag!" A lot of us didn't even know what gay was until after we started using the slur. In fact, here's the bit he did as close to verbatim as I can remember:

"If I saw a dude blowing another dude, I wouldn't call him a ******. I wouldn't even make fun of him for doing it. I'd be respectful. But if he pulled it out of his mouth and went, 'Nyeh, people from Phoenix are Phoenicians,' I'd be like, 'Hey, put that dick back in your mouth and stop being a ******!'"

Something like that. I'm sure it's on YouTube. As you said, the fun part about English is how malleable it is. Slang changes from year to year, and a lot of times real words don't even retain their definition for that long. So instead of getting offended at a word that doesn't mean anything, try to determine if the speaker of said word holds any malice towards you or if he is just making a joke.

Whateveralot

Oct 25, 2010
Worgen said:
I never give up, I never surrender, hell in league of legends I have only voted to surrender once in over 300 games and that was because we lost 2 people early on and our enemy team sucked at pushing but we couldnt out fight the 2 extra chars in big fights
Ah! The surrenderers' dilemma.

The only way to win those games is by not dying at all and farming them as much as you can. But you need a really good team to pull it off. It's the most rewarding game, though.

Joel Dawson

Jun 26, 2011
Jinx_Dragon said:
Joel Dawson said:
Ragequitters are actually kind of hilarious to listen to especially when their complaints get ridiculous. One guy left a match right before it ended because "the light was in his eyes." But yeah, ragequitting gets really ridiculous. It's like they take it as a personal insult to lose even once.
Light was in his eyes?

Ummm, it is a LED or CRT monitor... those things create light. Light is always going to be in your eyes....

Ridiculous excuse is ridiculous!
Sorry, wrong words. Not eyes, but sunlight was shining on the screen which got in the way of seeing the game.

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
I don't think there is anything wrong with surrendering as a team (if you have the option) when the game is lost, or you all know the game is lost. I said surrendering, ..not rage-quitting. There is a big difference. Surrendering is saying, as a team, "You beat us. We have in fact lost and would no longer like to be punched in the genitals. Thanks."

Some people who rage-quit will say, "Oh well, I didn't lose. I LEFT before I lost." That person is a very ridiculous person. Funnily enough I've seen a lot of people rage-quit in the beginning of games more then at the end. If something doesn't go exactly how they want it, or they somehow feel they are being cheated when really they just aren't that good at the game; they'll leave and hop right into another. Really, they are looking to be carried through the game by everyone else on the team and that drags the teams down - the one he left, the the one he is in.

I think I hold it against them more, because I don't play multi-player games that refill the slot that's been left. Such as in LoL, you start with five. If someone leaves, you now have four, and no one is going to come in and help you. You have to battle it out the best you can with who you have been left with. Rage-quitting doesn't bother me so much if it's the type of game where the slot will be refilled automatically and almost instantly by someone else trying to get in the game, who actually wants to play and give it a try.

Though I can't help but feel that if you rage-quit, you have lost, every time.