Rainbow Brite Reboot Revealed in First Trailer

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Rainbow Brite Reboot Revealed in First Trailer

First trailer for animated reboot reveals classic characters, new art style, celebrity voices

The My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136179-Actress-Reveals-Rainbow-Brite-Reboot]

The trailer is light on exposition, but longtime fans of the franchise will recognize familiar characters like Starlite the horse and a boy who appears to be a new incarnation of Brian, a human from Earth who befriended the heroine in the original animated series. The YouTube thumbnail for the trailer also shows a small portion of what appears to be Twink the Sprite. Emily Osment voices the title character.

The biggest reveal, though, is the presence of a malevolent force (in the form of a storm cloud) that speaks with the voice of 80s movie-icon Molly Ringwald. Apparently, Ringwald's character is a new incarnation of The Dark Princess - the main antagonist of the franchise's sole feature-film outing, Rainbow Brite & The Star Stealer. No word on whether original series heavies, Murky & Lurky, will also appear.

The series will stream exclusively through Feeln, [https://www.feeln.com/] a family-friendly subscription video-on-demand service previously known as "SpiritClips" and now owned by the Hallmark Corporation. The first episode is scheduled to run on November 6, 2014.

Source: Feeln [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivTcjHlltJU]

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/movies-and-tv/]

Madame_Lawliet

Jul 16, 2013
Oh Goddess, please don't let this spawn Bronies 2.0.

If it ends being a good show for little kids then good; just please, please, please, plehehehehease don't let 4chan anywhere near this.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Meh, The Soup's take on this was much better.

You cannot beat Joel McHale in a Rainbow Brite costume.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
8bitOwl said:
DO NOT WANT D:

Original Rainbow Brite: innocent cute little girl who looks like a doll, aimed at little girls:

New Rainbow Brite: derpy "edgy" girl made in an internet-cartoon manner, aimed at bronies:

I already hate her. They're clearly trying to do the same exact thing they did to My Little Pony.

I grew up with the original MLP, now that name is associated to obnoxious internet memes with me.

And now they want to ruin my childhood memory of Rainbow Brite, too.

I foresee internet memes and rule 34 of it, that I will see without any intention or attempt to see...

Yai.
OMG what did they do to rainbow brite?!! and who is this weird alien imposter?!! D: I had a sprite I used to sleep with as a kid that my older sister gave me that looked like this one:
The old rainbow brite was so much better than this hideous beast alien brite. AHHH! Run away in horror!

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Yeah, I'm not digging her personality. It doesn't help that the artstyle look too MLP:Fim like.

Captcha- lets eat, oh now they incorperate Five Night at Freddys into the captcha? (Well ok that phrase is used elsewhere than the game.)

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
Also villainwise...are they bringing in the Princess from the movie, right from the get go? I always liked murky and lurky as just the bumbling incompetent opposition really. I mean, who didn't want to just give Lurky a big hug?

lord canti

May 30, 2009
God forbid they actually redesign the character for a newer generation and change her personality to fit.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Oh God, it's talking like everything's a cliche' meme. Just kill it please

Well that's a little unfair. I'll wait for more dialogue first

Captcha: partly cloudy, partly

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
I think the animation is pretty ugly.
Not much else for me to say about it.

jackpipsam

SEGA fanboy
Jun 2, 2009
Never ever heard of Rainbow Brite before, mustn't of hit Australia.

As a Brony I can see that the style is clearly along the lines of MLP:FiM.
I will give it a shot I guesss.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Uratoh said:
Also villainwise...are they bringing in the Princess from the movie, right from the get go? I always liked murky and lurky as just the bumbling incompetent opposition really. I mean, who didn't want to just give Lurky a big hug?
I thought the Princess was kinda cool. She lives on a planet made of crystal, and keeps trying to murder people in nasty ways when she gets bored.

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
thaluikhain said:
Uratoh said:
I thought the Princess was kinda cool. She lives on a planet made of crystal, and keeps trying to murder people in nasty ways when she gets bored.
Oh, nothing wrong with the Princess as a character. It's just like, making a Care Bears reboot and having the starting villain be No-Heart or something.

DRTJR

Aug 7, 2009
It seems to be missing the why of MLP's stupidly huge popularity. It took a while but Bob's prediction came true.

BrainWalker

Aug 6, 2009
This looks like all those other flash-animated old-family-friendly-cartoon reboots on The Hub. I just assumed this was another one. I've never even heard of "Feeln." What the heck kind of name is that?

Also I'm surprised--but shouldn't be--how angry people are that they had the audacity to change anything about the original show. The problem with this show, judging by the trailer, is not the concept of change in and of itself. The problem is lackluster writing and animation. It really does look like they're trying to make that My Little Pony lightning strike twice, but the primary difference between this and Friendship is Magic, other than that FiM came first, is that FiM is actually fairly well-written and animated for a toy-licensed cartoon property.

It's like MovieBob said: You can make a movie out of anything. The problem isn't that they tried to update Rainbow Brite, the problem is they're doing a bad job of it. No more, no less.

Zeterai

Oct 19, 2009
So.. Penny Arcade did that thing with sexy Strawberry Shortcake, and got into a legal thing with the owners of the IP. Thus, they did one for Rainbow Brite, on the premise they figured it would never make a comeback.. this is going to make for an interesting spectacle.

small

Aug 5, 2014
jackpipsam said:

oh yeah it did. i grew up watching it .. and i still have the damn theme song stuck in my head 30 years later and it only went for 13 seconds!

Fensfield

Nov 4, 2009
Oh dear x.x

I've always loved that series.. 'watched the Star Stealer when I was little and sought out the rest thereafter. It always had that nice, 80's-ish.. 'weight'. It was all childish and stuff but there was always a sense of something greater, like how she was originally some kind of lost soul given a chance to make something of herself by a higher being, by restoring Rainbow Land from a bleak waste. What was her name at first? Misty? Hazy?

But this.. I'll look to see if it's not just the trailer misleading. The art style is alright - I feel I could grow to really like it, even Rainbow's voice maybe.. but the personality glimpsed there. I mean, Rainbow Brite is supposed to be all fervent and sincere. And the heck is the matter with Starlight? He's gone all.. butch, and 'bodacious' x.x He was originally brave and a little arrogant.. actually as befit a celestial horse >.>

... 'Wonder if Krys'll be involved. I understand a lot of people found him annoying but he and Rainbow squabbling was just adorable.

jackpipsam

SEGA fanboy
Jun 2, 2009
small said:
jackpipsam said:

oh yeah it did. i grew up watching it .. and i still have the damn theme song stuck in my head 30 years later and it only went for 13 seconds!
Did it? Do you remember what channel it was on?
Because ABC Kids was pretty much were it was for me.