Rainbow Brite Reboot Revealed in First Trailer

ColaWarVeteran

Jul 27, 2010
Sure is a lot of pessimism is this thread. Personally, I'm going to hold my full thoughts until I actually watch the show but the trailer looks promising.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
ARGH! Thing isn't how I remember thing from when I was a kid!

Thing bad!

I'm unlikely to watch this at all, mostly because I don't have any desire to join another subscription based on demand service but also because it's just not my cup of tea.

It's cute, I don't dislike the designs, it just doesn't look to be anything to write home about.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
ColaWarVeteran said:
Sure is a lot of pessimism is this thread. Personally, I'm going to hold my full thoughts until I actually watch the show but the trailer looks promising.
There is pessimism in the thread because they took Rainbow Brite and turned her into a doofus. They made her horse stupid too. UGH
THIS is Rainbow Brite:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI1fIF2jcWY

Just comparing the voice differences and the way they talk, it is obvious they turned a confident sweet Rainbow Brite into an obnoxious trendy brat.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Meh, I suppose it has potential, but one thing that MLP:FIM had going for it was a staff that actually seemed to care a lot about making something good. This kind of reeks of trying to make that lightning strike twice. I seem to recall there being a good rainbow brite movie but I couldn't tell you anything more beyond that.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Worgen said:
Meh, I suppose it has potential, but one thing that MLP:FIM had going for it was a staff that actually seemed to care a lot about making something good. This kind of reeks of trying to make that lightning strike twice. I seem to recall there being a good rainbow brite movie but I couldn't tell you anything more beyond that.
I think you might be thinking of "Rainbow Brite and the Star Stealer"
http://www.veoh.com/watch/v15605327CbeC4CRn?h1=Rainbow+Brite+and+the+Star+Stealer+Movie

I wish they hadn't made this new rainbow brite so obnoxious in comparison. They didn't even keep the same personality.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
I don't mind the newer style so much. The one for the old cartoon looks like the stuff of nightmares, just like the original MLP.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Oh, God! Didn't MovieBob predict this a couple of years ago? I swear back then I was just kidding when I said I wanted the Rainbow Brite reboot!

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Adam Lester said:
The bronies are going to have some competition now.

Whoever wins, we lose.
Since they appear to be aiming at the same audience, it's more likely an 'also fan of' situation rather than competition. It is possible to like 2 things. Just like Avatar, Gravity Falls, and Adventure Time aren't competitors. This isn't a Star Wars Vs Star Trek type situation.

Also, don't be a nerd snob.

Blaze the Dragon

Jan 8, 2010
This is just going to be exactly like the Care Bears reboot where they said the exact same things about hoping to attract more people to the show the same way My Little Pony did. People don't seem to understand that MLP didn't become popular because it's suddenly cool to like girly shows. MLP became popular because it's a legitimately good show, despite being 'girly' and 'for kids.' The whole point of the direction behind MLP was to try and show how those terms don't have to be synonymous with 'dumb' and 'simple.' As such they actually cared about their product and put real effort into it. If it was just a trend to ironically like a show for little girls, then the show wouldn't be going into its 5th season soon with ratings higher than ever.

Now, don't get me wrong, if it turns out this show has legitimate plotlines and/or eventually finds a way to build up into a DBZ-style action scene like MLP does, then by all means it will get a legitimate following. However the show will inevitably get what it deserves, and if it turns out to be another show with little real effort put into it just trying to catch some of the brony herd, then it will get what it gets.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Worgen said:
I think you and I are in the same boat here. MLP: FIM was good cause the staff cared about it and didn't want to take the easy route that a lot of kids shows take these days. This is pretty much trying to get the same response that they got with MLP:FIM.

That being said, I'll give it a few episodes before I can make any real judgment on it.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Due to its limited release, I don't know if this is going to be too much of a wide-spread thing...Either way, I don't see this being as big as MLP. Something about the trailer just rubbed me the wrong way in general. I can't even really put my finger on it...I think a part of it is the horse...I just wonder how big this could become.

LightningFast

Feb 6, 2013
Zeterai said:
So.. Penny Arcade did that thing with sexy Strawberry Shortcake, and got into a legal thing with the owners of the IP. Thus, they did one for Rainbow Brite, on the premise they figured it would never make a comeback.. this is going to make for an interesting spectacle.
I remembered this almost immediately, then laughed.

Garlador

Mar 7, 2007
Well, it's got rainbows, and it looks bright.

I'm on board. Go for it. Good luck, Rainbow Bright!

Seriously, I stopped learning to judge something by appearances after this:

Best thing to happen to the turtles in years.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
I wouldn't mind seeing a brony-centric Rainbow Brite, only trouble is that they've got to make her adequately clever to pull it off. Those jokes in the trailer were meh. Could be worse, but needs to be better to capture the MLP:FIM cleverness.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
geldonyetich said:
I wouldn't mind seeing a brony-centric Rainbow Brite, only trouble is that they've got to make her adequately clever to pull it off. Those jokes in the trailer were meh. Could be worse, but needs to be better to capture the MLP:FIM cleverness.
it is just a trailer, I doubt if she is going to be as cleverly written as the MLP cast they'd be able to show case that in a 2 minute teaser

small

Aug 5, 2014
jackpipsam said:
small said:
jackpipsam said:
Never ever heard of Rainbow Brite before, mustn't of hit Australia.

As a Brony I can see that the style is clearly along the lines of MLP:FiM.
I will give it a shot I guesss.
oh yeah it did. i grew up watching it .. and i still have the damn theme song stuck in my head 30 years later and it only went for 13 seconds!
Did it? Do you remember what channel it was on?
Because ABC Kids was pretty much were it was for me.
was one of the commercial channels i know that much