Rambo Gameplay Trailer Evokes Memories Of a Different Era

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Rambo Gameplay Trailer Evokes Memories Of a Different Era

The new Rambo The Video Game trailer features explosive gun-shooting action that has to be seen to be believed.

I really don't know what to say about this. I normally try to stay optimistic about upcoming games, but I'm not sure I can maintain the mask for Rambo The Video Game. For one thing, it looks like it's an on-rails shooter, which is never good; for another, it looks like an on-rails shooter for the PS2, which is much, much worse.

Craig Lewis of publisher Reef Entertainment promised in 2011 that Rambo would be a "triple-A [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112087-New-Rambo-Game-Coming-Next-Year]" game and establish the company as "a worldwide player," but I'm starting to think that was perhaps a bit of an optimistic view. I said earlier this year that any game where you can drive a knife through a dude's neck and shoot a guy so much that he literally explodes is an okay game by me, but now I'm not so sure. I pumped a lot of quarters into Operation Wolf back in the day, but that doesn't mean I'm looking forward to more of it.

Rambo The Video Game is, based on currently-available preorder options, being developed for the PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 and is expected to come out, based on YouTube comments, in early 2014.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
I would have mentioned the glaring clipping bug involving the chopper becoming a sand-shark at 1:12 in the video. Hilariously bad game from the looks of it, maybe will get cult status as a "so-bad-its-good" game... or just get tossed in the crapper next to Too Human and X-Men Destiny.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
amaranth_dru said:
Andy Chalk said:
I would have mentioned the glaring clipping bug involving the chopper becoming a sand-shark at 1:12 in the video. Hilariously bad game from the looks of it, maybe will get cult status as a "so-bad-its-good" game... or just get tossed in the crapper next to Too Human and X-Men Destiny.
Judging by the size of the hair, I think we have another Aquaman on our hands.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Wow, looking at those on-rail shooting sections, it's almost like I'm back in my youth playing House of the Dead or Virtua Cop in the arcades. Though without the fond memories of those same games. I think I'll pass, then.

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
W T F?!! No, just no. While I give them Rambo II and III, nowhere in First Blood do you mow down cops with a machine gun or whatever that low-rez monstrosity was. First Blood was pretty dark.

This looks like shit and it's mocking one of my favorite movies.

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
mechalynx said:
W T F?!!...nowhere in First Blood do you mow down cops with a machine gun or whatever that low-rez monstrosity was. First Blood was pretty dark.

I'm in the same camp, wasn't First Blood more about the wars of Vietnam and a guy who couldn't let it go, so a game is made to bring all that back, thereby missing the whole damn point of that movie?

I haven't seen all of First Blood, but it was entertaining of what I watched. I feel kind of insulted that a game would be made, but then again, World War II has been exploited enough, perhaps following Vietnam is the entire next logical step, I assume.

Anyway, I won't be playing this. I'm not married to Rambo, but I don't want to see this game in my sight.

CarlsonAndPeeters

Mar 18, 2009
Kind of funny, I was just thinking to myself I'd like to see another House of the Dead / Area 51 / Any other arcade rail shooter. But I was thinking of it as a fun project someone might throw together in Unity and put online. Not something trying to pass itself off as an actual game.

It's like my homie Switch always says: "Not like this. Not like this."

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
This looks bad, like REALLY REALLY REALLY bad.

Like those knockoff bargain bin video games you see with names like 'Petz' or whatever.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
Given that <url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocky_%282002_video_game%29>Rocky exists, and that it got positive reviews, it's kind of expected for a new Rambo game to come out - there might be a small chance that this might be rather good. However, I do have to admit that an on-rails shooter would be better off for a phone or tablet game, and not as a console or PC game.

SonofaJohannes

Apr 18, 2011
Well, at the very least I suppose the graphics could make us feel nostalgic about the PS2.
All those explosions made me remember how much I loved the first movie, and not the others.

Joel Bridge

Feb 26, 2012
I think It look alright gameplay and graphic wise, look it in spirit of sqeual and maybe I just have poor eye when comes to graphics. You know funny thing I read the book True Blood John Rambo dies at the end. There should not 80s pop icon thanks Hollywood.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
Guys, I think we just found a possible replacement for Desert Bus for the worst game ever.

Let's Let's Play the hell out of it for Charity!

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
amaranth_dru said:
Andy Chalk said:
I would have mentioned the glaring clipping bug involving the chopper becoming a sand-shark at 1:12 in the video.
Think about this, not only is it part of a cutscene, that is footage SPECIFICALLY SELECTED to be in a trailer. These people think that chopper is worthy enough to show how GREAT this game is. Think about the crap that they AREN'T showing you.

OT: Seriously, was this made on a budget of some kids lunch money? You couldn't even afford to have the players move around and see that everything not in direct sight hasn't been modeled?

New World Fool

Feb 15, 2013
It does remind me of fond HOTD 2 and 3 memories. But it looks awful, like seriously, my cat's dinner looks more appealing than this game.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
mechalynx said:
W T F?!! No, just no. While I give them Rambo II and III, nowhere in First Blood do you mow down cops with a machine gun or whatever that low-rez monstrosity was. First Blood was pretty dark.

My thoughts exactly, in First Blood Rambo only kills like 1 person and with a rock, so of course it should be an FPS.

As for the PS2 graphics? Whatever. Actually some of the forest scenes didn't look too bad. Then again I'm watching them through a 480p Youtube window, not fullscreen on my monitor.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
Wow. I mean... wow. This being made by a present day professional gaming company? We're not being punked?

This is just... all I can say is wow. Let's bury it next to Aliens: Colonial Marines and never speak of it again.