Rampant nerd fanboyism you want to beat with a stick.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Its not necessarily fanboy/girl-ism but the mindset that "My opinion is fact!" about any media. Perspective differs for EVERYONE. Perhaps someone is colorblind and therefore cannot enjoy your favorite color. The only fact there is they cannot see what you see and vice-versa. To denigrate a person for a perspective shows a lack of maturity.
If someone else's opinion is different then your own, have some class and either agree to disagree or at least attempt to enlighten yourself to their point of view. Even if you don't hold the same view, being able to shift your own perspective to someone else's viewpoint can only be beneficial. It doesn't mean you have to agree, just accept that in their universe something you personally dislike is a good thing.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
Lil devils x said:
So yes, I would like to beat Anime fanboism with a stick. Is that really so bad?

EDIT: It is funny though that if someone says " eww eating bugs is gross!" they are not labled a "hater" but if they say" eww Anime is gross!" they are.
For the record i enjoy one anime. One. I find the rest as repulsive as you do (except studio gibli, that stuff is awesome).

Its not so much you dont like it, its more you listed some reasons and anyone could tell you those reasons are not inherent to the thing you are claiming to dislike. Youre also painting a HUUUUUUUUGE brush over a whole medium with wildly different things inside it. The ONLY thing animes have in common is the fact that they are japenese animation. Unless you hate the fact they are japanese its unreasonable to assume you really hate ALL of them since this is the one and only thing they ALL definitely have in common. Everything else is up for grabs and extremely interchangeable. The range in what is different is incredible, its just impossible to link them ALL via different factors when they only have one fairly shallow thing in common.

A similar example would be like if i said i hate fruits because:

They are always full of a thousand maggotts and when you open them they just go EVERWHERE

They are too sour

I dont like the colour orange.

Its just such a bizare list of things that are blatently NOT inherent to the thing im claiming to dislike.

If i was in your house and you offered me a banana and i gave you those reasons why i didnt want it im SURE you would try and correct me or in the very least say "Theres no maggotts in this, its yellow, and definitely not sour".

I dont care if you dont like it, just dont expect no one to call you out on hating fruit because you dont like maggotts, sour things and the colour orange. Because its a weird disjointed list of things not inherent to fruit as a whole.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
And That said:
RTSnab said:
Bronies.

Don't really think I need to explain that one, right?
Wow really?

Guy got suspended for saying he hates bronies?

I can't stand them either.
You see someone get suspended for something, and then you go and do the same thing they did?

Not the smartest move.
And That said:
And no, saying "Maybe I just like to watch the show" isn't some argument. You know why? Cause the people who are watching the show ARE WATCHING THE FUCKING SHOW, not feeling the need to defend it on forums or rub it in the face of everyone else.
Circular logic right there.

They're defending themselves because people like yourself keep attacking them.
If you people stopped attacking them, they wouldn't have to defend themselves on forums and such.

AlexWinter

Jun 24, 2009
Lil devils x said:
My irritation is with anime fanbois. I just don't "get it". I have tried to understand why anyone would think this to be tolerable, little lone good, but I just cannot. It is just so awful I cannot understand how it has a fan base. The art isn't good, the high pitched whiny emo characters, the storylines are crap. For the life of me, I just cannot understand how anyone wants to actually watch this, but apparently some people think it is the greatest thing ever. I don't think I will ever understand why. Ever.
I've heard Rebecca Black and Justin Bieber therefore all music is shit.

I've watched Godfather 3 and Spider-man 3 therefore all films are shit.

I've played Other M and Action 52 therefore all games are shit.

I've read Moll Flanders and The Bell Jar therefore all books are shit.

A few = all and I don't understand why anyone would want to read, watch, play or listen to any of that crap.

OT: I don't mind fanboys as long as they don't try and tell me why their thing is better than my thing. People have different opinions and tastes. Why does it matter; just deal with it.

Megalodon

May 14, 2010
Silvanus said:
When the last episode of Doctor Who was broadcast, sectors of the interwebs were flooded with proclamations of, "Best episode ever!"

It wasn't. It didn't many any goddamn sense. The villain's plot was nonsensical and self-defeating, and it introduced new mechanics constantly, with little purpose other than to resolve the episode. The episode, and the show, know not the meaning of dramatic tension. Doctor Who has become the most Deus Ex Machina-ey show I've ever seen. And, OT, the loyalty to it is unbreakable.
Become? The show's pretty much always been like this, at least the new series (don't know the classics all that well). Two off the top of my head in the 9th Doctor series; Rose's saved Dad killing himself, reversing Rose's actions brings people back to life, and Rose opening the Tardis core to destroy the Daleks in the series finale while bringing Jack (and only him, why not anyone else the Daleks killed?) back to life.

I know why it is, too. It's Tennant, and to a lesser extent, Smith, along with how the writers have used them. They've turned it into a beauty contest. Plot, pacing and subtlety have been thrown out of the window in pursuit of shameless sexual fanservice. Doctor Who is not Science Fiction anymore, because the Sci-Fi plotline is of tertiary importance, behind childish, soap-opera drama and attempts to romanticize the Doctor himself. If you doubt this last part, ask yourself how likely it is that The Doctor will travel solely with a male companion, or an elderly companion? The likelihood is negligible.
I agree about the soap-opera drama, especially last series (no show, you're not going to kill the Doctor, stop trying to make me think you will). But the "romanticization" hasn't really been a thing since Rose/Martha went away. As far as I'm aware, the classic Doctor never travelled with only a male/elderly companion, and that era isn't accused of romanticizeing the Doctor.

Almost every scientific statement, explanation or rationalisation, does not hold up to scrutiny, and the writers no longer care. They know they don't have to. They know the writing has only to be wafer-thin; a veneer, almost purely vestigial at this point, to give Matt Smith a reason to look chic and appeal to the false-geek crowd. This is not a popularisation of science fiction- it is a hijacking.
Again, this is show that popularised "reverse the polarity" as a technobabble expalnation/plot fix. This isn't some betrayl that Davies/Moffat have inflicted on a previously plausible Sci-Fi show. It's always been like this.
In the last episode, the apparent glorious renaissance, Moffatt introduced the idea that when a time-traveler dies, he leaves behind a kind of "scar-tissue" representing his meddling, all the changes he has made throughout his life. The Doctor, of course, has won countless victories against various alien threats, so the villainous Great Intelligence plans to step into the timey-wimey scar-tissue and rewrite his past, turning all his past victories into defeats. That, as the basis for an episode, was pretty good. It introduced new mechanics, but they're feasible within the universe we're given.

However, the Great Intelligence (who has killed himself to accomplish this feat) leaves the timey-wimey-rewritey-stuff in a room full of the Doctor's allies. They can just do the exact same thing, and undo the damage. After a little bit of hand-wringing and worried expression, Amy steps into the scar and undoes everything the Intelligence did. Every victory of the Doctor's is a victory again. Time is saved.

But, wait! The Great Intelligence died to rewrite all that stuff... surely Amy must be giving her life up, too? Well, that's all right, says Moffatt. We can just introduce a new mechanic at the last minute! The Doctor can just step into the breach with immunity, save her, and they can both leave just fine! Perfect! All wrapped up with a neat little bow!

...And the internet goes wild. Genius! Brilliant! Such high stakes, wow!

Bullshit.
Pendantry first, Amy is dead, that was Clara. Secondly, the episode is less than a week old, you should have probably put this bit in spoiler tags
Otherwise, you're generally right about this, the finale wasn't massively strong, but it was also far the worst I've seen this show inflict.

Nadia Castle

May 21, 2012
BarelyAudible said:
Transformers and Power Rangers fans who only love G1/Mighty Morphin' and treat the rest as suckyshowsforbabiesthatdon'tevenexist.
God yes, add to that Ninja Turtles fans. I love the turtles in all their incarnations (well okay not the Next Mutation, but no franchise is perfect), but every single version does not have to be loyal to the Fred Wolfman cartoon. Especially when as a cartoon it wasn't even particularly good. (For the record the IDW series is my fave, not that it makes me spit on the Nickelodean or 4Kids versions which are both excellent!).

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Lil devils x said:
I think my point has been proven on this very thread that when someone says " anime sucks", Nerd fanbois act accordingly in it's defense. LOL
Not really.

If you had said "Obnoxious anime fanboys irritate me, when they always tell me I am wrong for disliking anime, when I have tried it and still don't like it." then people getting annoyed would be an example of what you describe.

You said "Anime fanbois annoy me because anime sucks. Here is why it sucks [insert reasons here]."

If you replaced anime with absolutely anything else, the reaction would be the same:

"PC fanboys annoy me. PC gaming sucks, the controller is better than the keyboard and mouse combo, they are too expensive and you have to upgrade them all of the time".

"Pop music fanboys annoy me. Pop music sucks, as it's all repetitive and the lyrics are unoriginal. It's even worse as they don't write their own music either".

See my point yet?

Your logic seems to be that fans are annoying because they like something that you don't like, as opposed to their actual behaviour. If you can't see how that might irritate people, then I am not sure what to say.

Edguy

Jan 31, 2011
Metal elitism. I'm a pretty hard guy to anger, but smug bigots spewing shit like "Slipknot aren't metal, they're fucking lame nu metal shite" or "Avenged Sevenfold are emo metalcore for 12 year old girls"..

..those push my buttons. People that think that only certain underground extreme metal acts have the right to fall under the wide category know as metal, those need to be beaten with a stick. No, scratch that; a 400kg tree log.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
I don't think I would have answered to this thread a month ago, but thanks to 3.0, I can say that Evangelion fanboys are fucking insurmountable, at least in case of 3.0. If anywhere, their defense for that mess oft boils down to "You just don't get it, you're just dumb" or "Well it's because [insert entire book worth of explanation that requires you to have read 10 extraneous fan theories, read 50 different wiki articles, mapped it all out on a spreadsheet and then shoved it up Roger Corman's nostril to understand]".

I don't hate Evangelion. I really like 2.0 and love the manga. I just hate the way some pretend it to be some holy scripture brought down by Allah, Jesus and Buddha themselves and that they're the only ones who have truly discovered its mysteries. For the record, I actually saw an user review on IMDB claiming that Eva was based on "banned books of the Bible" or some rubbish like that. I tried to find it to show it here, but I couldn't.

It's a show about people trying to sort out their mental issues while fighting giant monsters with giant mechs, simple as that.

Mojo

Jun 2, 2011
Edguy said:
..those push my buttons. People that think that only certain underground extreme metal acts have the right to fall under the wide category know as metal, those need to be beaten with a stick. No, scratch that; a 400kg tree log.
This, but with every other music genre out there. I surprisingly cant recall ever seeing this on these forums, but I guess only a minority of the threads here are about music. But I do know a few people how will instantly dismiss certain bands or groups or whatever simply because they are popular or "mainstream" and then go on about only the unknown underground stuff is good. Hipsters, but only for music I guess. I get that there are a ton of unknown people who make great music but that doesn't change the fact that a lot of popular music is great as well.

Vigormortis said:
Legion said:
My thoughts exactly.
I second this. Sure fans can be super annoying and write terrible fan fictions and tell you to watch/read something over and over again, but why would you go out of your way to insult these people? Just fucking ignore them. Ignoring people works a lot better then people may think. I don't know how often I was tempted to respond to flamers in LoL/DotA or Starcraft, but in the end ignoring them always works out better.
I must admit that I hate fans that go way to far and make other fans look bad (as descried several post above), but I'm not going to write them hate emails and tell them I want to punch them in the face either....

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Probably crazy fangirls/fanboys of anime/video games who go crazy for certain characters... even the bad guys.

Also, the crazy Bronies/Pegasisters who ruin things for the rest of us. Also, did "Cupcakes" really deserve all those edits/"sequels"? NO! May Celestia damn whoever wrote that... thing to the moon... no... the sun!

...What? That's pretty damn serious...

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
AlexWinter said:
Lil devils x said:
My irritation is with anime fanbois. I just don't "get it". I have tried to understand why anyone would think this to be tolerable, little lone good, but I just cannot. It is just so awful I cannot understand how it has a fan base. The art isn't good, the high pitched whiny emo characters, the storylines are crap. For the life of me, I just cannot understand how anyone wants to actually watch this, but apparently some people think it is the greatest thing ever. I don't think I will ever understand why. Ever.
I've heard Rebecca Black and Justin Bieber therefore all music is shit.

I've watched Godfather 3 and Spider-man 3 therefore all films are shit.

I've played Other M and Action 52 therefore all games are shit.

I've read Moll Flanders and The Bell Jar therefore all books are shit.

A few = all and I don't understand why anyone would want to read, watch, play or listen to any of that crap.

OT: I don't mind fanboys as long as they don't try and tell me why their thing is better than my thing. People have different opinions and tastes. Why does it matter; just deal with it.
That isn't the same comparison at ALL. I like cartoons, I just do not like Anime. Anime is a particular style of cartoons, and that is the style I do not like. It would be like saying Rap sucks but rock is great. Just because I don't like rap does not mean that I don't like music.

Just because I don't like soap operas does not mean I don't like television.
Just because I don't like Final fantasy games due to their art style does not mean I don't like games.
Just because I don't like romance novels does not eman I don't like books.

There is a difference. Anime is just one crappy subsection of cartoons. I personally love Southpark, but think whoever thought of Cowboy Bebop should have been dropped on their head a couple of more times until they came to their senses. That doesn't mean I don't like cartoons, I just really really don't like those kind of cartoons.

I should not have to defend not liking them, it is a matter of taste. I wouldn't expect someone to explain not liking southpark, Hell if they said " southpark sucks flea infested prosimians." I wouldn't think twice about it. It is the fanboism that makes one think they should care what someone else dislikes. LOL

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
TizzytheTormentor said:
The Wykydtron said:
Ok, people who fucking WORSHIP the main character of Persona 3 like he's Mind Jesus or something. He's an unlikable prick and is singlehandedly the WORST thing about the entire game (Including the party AI.) He drags EVERYTHING down, every single other character is amazing (coughAigiscoughChidori/Junpeicoughcough) but he just does not give a single fuck about anything. His conversation options are without fail at least twice as dickish than the choice I would actually like to make. ALL. GAME. LONG.
I also remember Yu having some dickish lines...

Kou: "Will you help clean up?"
Yu: "Be an ass and leave"

Naoto: Will you help me find the culprit behind these mysterious letters?
Yu: "You're on your own"

Yumi: "I love you, but if you reject me, just walk away, I will turn my back, I don't want to see you go..."
Yu: *Leave"

Also one from Golden!
Nanako: "When I think of you big bro, I feel much stronger, like there is strong bond between us, do you feel that way when you think of me big bro?"
Yu: "No"

Oh, you think Minato is an unlikable? Try the accomplice ending in Golden (bash it all you want, it is one hell of an ending, watched it gobsmacked the whole time)

OT: Most shippers, okay, if you hope 2 characters to get together, that's fine, but getting into fights over it is just silly.
No, Yu did have some dick moments but they were few and far between and mostly within the first few hours of the game before the story even remotely gets moving. Minato stays in that Dick Zone from the start and never moves out of it ever.

Basically, Yu tries to distance himself towards the start because he didn't want to make friends in a town he knows for a fact he's only living in for one year. Perfectly understandable reasoning.

Oh but I actually did leave on the Yumi confession... Yeah sorry, I would but me and Chie man... We've got like a thing going on already.

Speaking of hasty girlfriend decisions, I'm continuing a playthrough of Persona 4 that was randomly on my memory card (I was on the boss door in Void Quest and I didn't have the key, hmm wonder why that playthrough ended so abruptly) I was maxing Chie's Link again and I got the prompt that you already have a girlfriend. I was shocked to find out, that in some fit of madness I fucking went out with the chick in the band. WHAT?! WHEN?! WHY?! WHAT DRUGS WAS I ON?!

Minato is just an antisocial loner who never evolves past that archetype in a game REVOLVING AROUND FRIENDSHIP! Man that's bad. Yu gets dickish lines you can ignore at times. Minato gets nothing BUT dick lines forever. Maddening.

Also Labrys and Unit Number Oh Two Four are definitely totally 100% in the Yuri Zone together and I will fight you on the side of the street if you say otherwise :mad:

[sub][sub]Where is the fan art dammit![/sub][/sub]

excalipoor

Jan 16, 2011
IceForce said:
Wait wait wait, ... people are agreeing with this now?

Now don't get me wrong, I also agree with you on haters.
But when I posted in a previous thread a little while back, basically the same as what you've said here, ... instead of people agreeing with me, I got an inbox full of angry quotes telling me that "anyone who uses the term 'haters' non-ironically is an idiot", and "calling people haters is just a way of dismissing legitimate criticism".
That would depend on your definition of a 'hater'. Yahtzee for example gets away with it scot-free, because not only is he funny while doing it, he usually has a point, and he has a genuine love for the medium. Tough love isn't a sign of what I'd consider to be a 'hater'. Au contraire!

A 'hater' is someone who doesn't understand the concept of subjectivity, who fails to realize that their vague criticisms and cheap jabs could be leveled at anything (including their own interests), who believes that the 'fanboys' are objectively wrong in their jubilation. At the same time, 'haters' tend to be just as passionate about something as the 'fanboys' they mock. See the console wars.

You could say that a hater is a fanboy turned to the dark side, their love turned to anger and hate. As we know, hate leads to suffering... So cut that shit out.

Of course there's also the kind of hater who's just a bitter, withered shell of a humanbeing, filled with bile and scorn, but it's not our fault they're incapable of feeling enjoyment.

bartholen said:
For the record, I actually saw an user review on IMDB claiming that Eva was based on "banned books of the Bible" or some rubbish like that. I tried to find it to show it here, but I couldn't.
I assume that has something to do with the Dead Sea Scrolls. They actually do exist, and they do contain Biblical texts, but that's pretty much where the similarities with their Evangelion counterparts end.

Lil devils x said:
Anime is a particula style of cartoons, and that is the styel I don not like.
No, it's not, and that's why people are taking an issue with your posts. Anime is just a word for Japanese animation.

If all of the above looks the same to you, you should go see a doctor about it. You don't have to like any of them, but when you go and say things like "I don't like anime because it's all ____!" you're just being obtuse.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
IceForce said:
And That said:
RTSnab said:
Bronies.

Don't really think I need to explain that one, right?
Wow really?

Guy got suspended for saying he hates bronies?

I can't stand them either.
You see someone get suspended for something, and then you go and do the same thing they did?

Not the smartest move.
And That said:
And no, saying "Maybe I just like to watch the show" isn't some argument. You know why? Cause the people who are watching the show ARE WATCHING THE FUCKING SHOW, not feeling the need to defend it on forums or rub it in the face of everyone else.
Circular logic right there.

They're defending themselves because people like yourself keep attacking them.
If you people stopped attacking them, they wouldn't have to defend themselves on forums and such.
He is "attacking" the guys that have also been "attacked" by every other comment here that mentions bronies. He isnt saying that the show is bad, he isnt saying that watching the show is bad, he is saying that being a douchebag about it and obsess the shit out of it is. Like, the worst kind of bronies are VERY vocal (and those usually talk shit), thats the problem with them, the cool ones are talking about MLP in the apropriatte places and annoying no one.

OT: People that dont give merit to the right things based on their current state.

Call of Duty 1,2 and 4 were amazing and yet if you say that to someone that never played those they will think you are an idiot fanboy.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Pretty much any comic fanboys who hate the film of a comicbook solely because of the change made compared to the source material but the thing is, the film itself is GOOD!!!

Just to be clear, there are times when I am with the hate toward a comicbook film because it had too many changes like e.g. Wolverine (Deadpool was only good at the start of the film and Emma Frost is NOT Silver Fox sister!) but to complaim good comicbook films like X Men: First Class (the rouster from each side were different) and Kick Ass (the ending was different)?

I guess I am willing to overlook the nitpick difference from the source materials if the film itself is good (it can bare its own weight without relying too much from the source as if it need to be 100% accurate to be good).

I guess this can be apply to the recent Star Trek film however I knew little from the original series and films unlike my interest toward comics so I can't really form a fences toward the new film.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
excalipoor said:
bartholen said:
For the record, I actually saw an user review on IMDB claiming that Eva was based on "banned books of the Bible" or some rubbish like that. I tried to find it to show it here, but I couldn't.
I assume that has something to do with the Dead Sea Scrolls. They actually do exist, and they do contain Biblical texts, but that's pretty much where the similarities with their Evangelion counterparts end.
From what I can remember of that review, the implication was that the banned parts were actually the basis for the story and world, instead of the DSScrolls being just a plot element.