Rampant nerd fanboyism you want to beat with a stick.

SuperSamio64

Nov 4, 2010
Megalodon said:
As far as I'm aware, the classic Doctor never travelled with only a male/elderly companion, and that era isn't accused of romanticizeing the Doctor.
Yeah he did. The First Doctor, who physically was an old man, travelled with Steven. The Second travelled with Jamie for a very long time, though it's true he wasn't female-less on TV. Also the Fifth Doctor travelled solo with Turlough, an alien schoolboy, for quite a while.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
Bronies for the most part. Kind of annoyingly pretentious. As well as a apparent need for validation. Look you can like what you want, but if a "not so grate" T.V show is this big a part of your identity I'd say you must be a pretty boring person.
And That said:
Mostly what this guy said.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
GamemasterAnthony said:
NUMBER ONE: Extreme Shippers

There's nothing wrong with thinking two characters would make a good couple. Heck, as long as the explanation as to why they are a couple makes sense, pretty much ANY pairing you can think of can work. The ones I'm talking about here though...are the ones who feel that ONLY one coupling is right and everyone who disagrees is wrong. Yeah...THOSE kinds of shippers!

The problem with this type of fan is not only the fact that, once again, they can cause divisions within fandoms...but sometimes they will even resort to actions as described in the OTHER FOUR ENTRIES ON THIS LIST! They will bash characters, talk about how they worked in the good old days, bring certain characters back from the dead to make the pairing happen...and may even go straight into Rule 34! All while acting all smug and high and mighty over how well this pairing works.
Oh my yes. XD It feels weird for me to say it, since I am, myself, a rather extreme shipper, but my word. You fans on the outside of shipping fandom, who only see shippers get passionate when something relevant happens in the work proper, only see the tip of the iceburg. Shipping fandom is an intensely negative, hate-filled quagmire regardless of whether it's anime, gaming, literature, or tv. Fans of ships love nothing more than bashing each other, all the while feigning ignorance and trying to claim that all the insults and jeers started with the other side. I still enjoy shipping to an extent, but I found myself no longer able to muster the passion to persevere against the mountains of negativity, so I'm more on the outskirts of fandom these days.

Oh, and the overreactions. I don't so much find them irritating as I do worrying. For instance, this week's chapter of Naruto had a few fans of one of the series' girls claim they were literally contemplating suicide... Dearest me. the world is just ending because this chapter made a non-committal implication that maybe, just maybe, the wallflower girl won't get her lifelong crush in the end.

SuperFrankieLampard

Jan 25, 2013
Liverpool fans. It might just be with the ones I know but SHUT UP ABOUT YOUR HISTORY. Nobody cares how good you were in the 80's or whenever, just face the truth that you are now upper-mid table and not going to see the Champions League for a long time. And Lampard > Gerrard. You cannot argue with 203 goals from midfield.

ShipofFools

Apr 21, 2013
Lil devils x said:
My irritation is with anime fanbois. I just don't "get it". I have tried to understand why anyone would think this to be tolerable, little lone good, but I just cannot. It is just so awful I cannot understand how it has a fan base. The art isn't good, the high pitched whiny emo characters, the storylines are crap. For the life of me, I just cannot understand how anyone wants to actually watch this, but apparently some people think it is the greatest thing ever. I don't think I will ever understand why. Ever.
Your post is like a shiny beacon on an ocean of interwebs filled with brooding cartoon characters and their hair.
(Sorry anime lovers, never liked it, baffled by how often I see it online)

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
frizzlebyte said:
Lil devils x said:
My irritation is with anime fanbois. I just don't "get it". I have tried to understand why anyone would think this to be tolerable, little lone good, but I just cannot. It is just so awful I cannot understand how it has a fan base. The art isn't good, the high pitched whiny emo characters, the storylines are crap. For the life of me, I just cannot understand how anyone wants to actually watch this, but apparently some people think it is the greatest thing ever. I don't think I will ever understand why. Ever.
Some of the stories are actually pretty good, like Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell. But I agree, the archetypes in Anime tend to be so blatant that it is embarrassing. Actually, lack of subtlety is something I notice about a lot of Japanese pop-culture. Take JRPGs for instance. They always have the same characters over and over again, just with a new paint job slathered on like neon-colored Max Factor, and the storylines are silly to me, for the most part.

I can't understand the rampant fanboyism, either. Then again, most of the people I know who are all into Anime tend to be really immature. I always figure that if they ever mature to the point that they can recognize the archetypal forms of Anime, they will run from it so fast that the ground will ignite.

Hasn't happened yet, though.
I know a lot of the archetypes and have found the ones that piss me off and the ones that delight me. Anything dark, gritty or deconstructive (Psycho-pass) or any really good mecha (Gundam Wing) makes me want to watch it immediately. Harem, slice-of-life, and comedy make me hurl. If i'm wrong on what you mean by archetypes, please elaborate.

As to the OP, I can say with some experience that I'm one of those insane anime/manga/game fanboys. I love them and really want to read backstory, even pushing it on others. It's taking some time to adjust but it's getting there.

Generally the thing that people hate is constant pushing and shoving of opinions on them. I have done it to some and some have done it to me so I can understand that it needs to be beaten out. Here's the thing that I will play as devil's advocate, many of these people have had good memories or experiences with them so they hold them close to the heart. Others, including myself to some degree, have some sort of OCD which makes it attached to them immensely and become obsessed which drives others insane. Not trying to completely defend rabid fans, just want to give a different view.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
bartholen said:
I don't think I would have answered to this thread a month ago, but thanks to 3.0, I can say that Evangelion fanboys are fucking insurmountable, at least in case of 3.0. If anywhere, their defense for that mess oft boils down to "You just don't get it, you're just dumb" or "Well it's because [insert entire book worth of explanation that requires you to have read 10 extraneous fan theories, read 50 different wiki articles, mapped it all out on a spreadsheet and then shoved it up Roger Corman's nostril to understand]".

I don't hate Evangelion. I really like 2.0 and love the manga. I just hate the way some pretend it to be some holy scripture brought down by Allah, Jesus and Buddha themselves and that they're the only ones who have truly discovered its mysteries. For the record, I actually saw an user review on IMDB claiming that Eva was based on "banned books of the Bible" or some rubbish like that. I tried to find it to show it here, but I couldn't.

It's a show about people trying to sort out their mental issues while fighting giant monsters with giant mechs, simple as that.
Well, Eva 3.0 is a mess, a fun to follow mess with Shinji's breakdown happening spectacularly, but a mess regardless. I, however, am intrigued by what Eva the Final will be like.

Personally, Eva 3.0 is going to be the most debated of the rebuild movies. I like it and have some interpretation of it but I can understand why some might not like it. I would love for people to stop using cheap defenses and start debating interpretations. Eva is a show/franchise to interpret not to accept at face value

As for the user review, Eva does pull some elements from the Kabbalah and non-canonical texts but it's superficial at best.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
VMK said:
Obligatory console fanboys answer.

Also, Street Fighter fannboys. I am talking about people that dismiss other fighters without even playing them. Their arguments? Weaboo sh*t, stoopid animu fighter, SF rip-off, etc.
Concerning latter argument: true, many fg franchises started as copies of SF, but blaming them for copying the VERY FIRST fg is like blaming Bioshock devs for ripping of Doom.

And about "animu" argument:
Lemme see...
1)Stoic main characters, that lives only for battle;
2)Arrogant and emotional best friend/rival;
3)Big bad evil guy that wants to conquer the world;
4)Big bad evil guy that lives only to die in battle;
5)pretty boy that loves only himself;
6)TITS EVERYWHERE;
7)Bad storyline
and etc, etc, etc...

OH MY GAWD!!! Street Fighter is shonen animu embodied! Alpha 3 with its anime graphics does not help at all.
Believe me, as someone who loves the Blazblue franchise, I get a lot of people saying "it sucks, we want Guilty Gear" Look, you have your old Guilty Gear games (and a new one that's been announces), just let those who love Blazblue play their game

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
excalipoor said:
excalipoor said:
Fanboyism doesn't bother me, but haters do.
I just found a particular breed of fan that does bother me: Welcome to the NHK fans who think that the show encourages hikikomori behavior.

I'm not one to kick people when they're down, but it really isn't something you should be proud of... It's not a fucking lifestyle, it's a complete and total lack of a lifestyle!
From what I can tell, it actually puts the hikikomori in a tragic light, showing the mental and social issues that push many into their condition and also illustrating the unreality of their favorite tropes (the whole "make the ultimate moe girl" in the manga shows this part clearly)

Bertylicious

Apr 10, 2012
Art stimulates people. If it's good art then people project on to it which results in all this passion. Good art and passion are inextricable. The only alternative would be to have shit art.

It'd be Everybody Loves Raymond forever.

excalipoor

Jan 16, 2011
Izanagi009 said:
excalipoor said:
excalipoor said:
I just found a particular breed of fan that does bother me: Welcome to the NHK fans who think that the show encourages hikikomori behavior.

I'm not one to kick people when they're down, but it really isn't something you should be proud of... It's not a fucking lifestyle, it's a complete and total lack of a lifestyle!
From what I can tell, it actually puts the hikikomori in a tragic light, showing the mental and social issues that push many into their condition and also illustrating the unreality of their favorite tropes (the whole "make the ultimate moe girl" in the manga shows this part clearly)
It does at that. I've read both the manga and the novel, and while the anime is still my favorite, it's also the easiest to misinterpret. Every time I hop on Youtube to listen to the (amazing) soundtrack, without fail I will see comments in the vein of "HIKKY PRIDE 4 LYFE!" That's just dangerous thinking, and I genuinely hope these people are just rebellious teenage introverts who will eventually grow out it.

Nobody is going to be "saved" by a Misaki just happening to appear behind their door. The world isn't going to come to you. Even in the context of the show, Misaki is just as, if not more broken than Satou, and hardly the guardian angel she at first appears to be. In the end Satou has to make the effort himself, as he realizes that he can either pull himself together, or lay down and die. But that's such a drag, so let's pretend the show is about how cool hikky life is!

Real talk. Being a shut-in isn't something anyone should aspire to be. I'm almost there, and it sure as fuck hasn't made my life any better.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
excalipoor said:
Izanagi009 said:
excalipoor said:
excalipoor said:

It does at that. I've read both the manga and the novel, and while the anime is still my favorite, it's also the easiest to misinterpret. Every time I hop on Youtube to listen to the (amazing) soundtrack, without fail I will see comments in the vein of "HIKKY PRIDE 4 LYFE!" That's just dangerous thinking, and I genuinely hope these people are just rebellious teenage introverts who will eventually grow out it.

Nobody is going to be "saved" by a Misaki just happening to appear behind their door. The world isn't going to come to you. Even in the context of the show, Misaki is just as, if not more broken than Satou, and hardly the guardian angel she at first appears to be. In the end Satou has to make the effort himself, as he realizes that he can either pull himself together, or lay down and die. But that's such a drag, so let's pretend the show is about how cool hikky life is!

Real talk. Being a shut-in isn't something anyone should aspire to be. I'm almost there, and it sure as fuck hasn't made my life any better.
You can say that again but i may have fallen into the opposite trap. I now am the type to not want to depend on people and be a cold loner. I'm willing to pull myself up from adversity and I am more social than in High school but I still don't want to get too close to people

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
I have a pretty high tolerance for fandom, but anything that amounts to some form of, "You're liking the thing I like wrong," or, "You're not a True Fan," is a brand of bullshit which I have absolutely no patience for. Also, shipping wars are piles of garbage stinking up my internet existence. You are literally fighting over which non-existent, fictional people you think should fuck each other. How in the damn hell can you take that so ridiculously seriously and act smug and self-important about it when you do?

excalipoor

Jan 16, 2011
Izanagi009 said:
excalipoor said:
Izanagi009 said:
excalipoor said:
excalipoor said:

You can say that again but i may have fallen into the opposite trap. I now am the type to not want to depend on people and be a cold loner. I'm willing to pull myself up from adversity and I am more social than in High school but I still don't want to get too close to people
Nothing wrong with that, though it might be a slippery slope. I don't think it's solely an issue of socialization, as long as you have more than introspection and ceiling-gazing in your life: a routine, a career, a goal, a person... Anything that keeps you from thinking yourself to death. Doing nothing is the worst thing you could do for yourself.

When one has fallen so far that they literally do nothing but wait for someone to help pull them out of it, it's time to get up and go look for the help. It's out there, just gotta ask. Simply wallowing in self-pity will never change anything, as comfortable as it may be.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Moonlight Butterfly said:
I've been told I'm not a 'real gamer' because I don't play call of duty. You know apart from owning a console from every generation since the atari 2600 and building my own pc.

I'm just a big fake fakey pants.

It also annoys me if you play all kinds of games you are some sort of Blonsky. I like Animal Crossing and the Sims but I also love games like Bioshock or Left for Dead. People are so fucking weird sometimes.

I guess that's what gets on my nerves people who think if you like one thing you can't like another.
YOU NO PLAY COD? D:<

YOU NO REAL GAMER!

RELA GAMERS ONLY PLAY MADDEN AND COD AND NONE OF THOSE *insert sexist, racist, and sexualist statements here* FROM JAPLAND!

*Chugs mountain dew*

Console or PC fanboys of any color. I do not mind or care what you play games on, I grew up on the PS1, liked my Wii, and currently play on a PC... err... Mac. However, I know no system is perfect and each has their issues (Playstation for lack of more than two player multiplayer, Wii for lack of power and poor third party support and my Mac has more issues than I even want to get into). However, a person who plays some other system is not some inferior scum. Each has advantages and disadvantages, good games and worse games. Let others decided which system they want to play and don't try to impose on someone else.

frizzlebyte

Oct 20, 2008
Izanagi009 said:
I know a lot of the archetypes and have found the ones that piss me off and the ones that delight me. Anything dark, gritty or deconstructive (Psycho-pass) or any really good mecha (Gundam Wing) makes me want to watch it immediately. Harem, slice-of-life, and comedy make me hurl. If i'm wrong on what you mean by archetypes, please elaborate.
The things you refer to are actually called "genres." When I say archetypes, I mean a certain kind of character. In western storytelling, you have archtypal characters like the "wise old wizard," the "hero," the "trickster," those kinds of things. For example, Obi Wan Kenobi would be a fairly standard interpretation of the wise old wizard, whereas Morpheus (from the Matrix) would be the same archetype with (literally) different clothing and demeanor.

It seems to me that Anime archetypes are a little more obvious, or hew more closely to a certain template, than other storytelling genres. For example, the standard Anime/Manga "magic girlfriend" archetype is, from my experience, largely obvious and unchanged as a character from story to story, whereas Morpheus is rather different from Obi Wan Kenobi, in both appearance and demeanor.

They also seem to often have a "perky, or quirky, sidekick" character, as well in my experience. Sazh, from Final Fantasy XIII is one example I can think of.

If you are interested in wanting to know more about archetypes, I'd heartily recommend Joseph Campbell's book, "Hero with a Thousand Faces." He goes into a lot of detail about it there.

"The Writer's Journey," by Christopher Vogler, is also good, and doesn't spend as much time as Campbell on comparative mythology, which can be a slog at times.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
They call it an Unpleasable Fanbase for a reason. The most proactive fans will never be happy, ever.

ShogunGino

Oct 27, 2008
Lil devils x said:
If I my say, Mr. or Ms. devils X, as a fan and student of animation from around the world, I'm fine with you not liking products from Japan, but I don't think you've done a good job explaining yourself.

You don't specifically cite any characters or story arcs as examples of why you don't like Japanese animated media, in general. Your complaints are generalized, and it gives the impression that you are stereotyping without really understanding what it is that your are critical of.

You say that whoever came up with Cowboy Bebop should be beaten until they get some sense in them, but you don't point out specific moments or characters in the anime that you don't like to back up that claim, and it seems like you're just being antagonistic without any real justification. Especially when you rather negatively compare enjoying anime with enjoying eating bugs. (For the record, several countries do eat bugs that are actually high in various proteins and nutrients. You probably couldn't get me to eat them unless in desperation, but still, like any food, certain bugs are nutritious when prepared properly.)

I think those are more along the lines of why other posters have been irritated with your arguments, rather than being fanbois.