Rampant Police Brutality and Media censorship in Ferguson Missouri

Austin Manning

Apr 10, 2012
Therumancer said:
The witnesses did not perjure themselves. Perjury is the crime of lying while under oath in a court of law. Giving an account to the police or news outlet, even if said account is mistaken, is not perjury. Furthermore, the autopsy actually found found no evidence that he had struggled with the officer prior to being shot along with other evidence that actually supported the witnesses' testimony.

If you would like sources:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/18/us/missouri-teen-shooting/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

and this one, already posted by Ratty earlier:

https://tv.yahoo.com/news/michael-brown-shooting-witness-releases-video-knew-not-143600436.html

Skull Bearer

Mar 6, 2012
Dholland662 said:
Also... With the blacks rioting and looking I can't imagine why whites would not want to live near them
Aaaand there we have it. Go on, tell us more about 'the blacks', you forgot to mention how they want to raep teh white women and have smaller brains than the white folks and how slavery was a good thing really.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Dholland662 said:
Fact: cop was treated for injuries

Fact: Brown was shot in the front and in a manner consistent with rushing the cop like the cop said

Fact: people are rioting and looting in that town

You would think after all the bullshit the media pulled in the Zimmerman case people would be more skeptical.

Armchair activists, please go.

Also I am on my phone posting this so I have poor access to my sources, just google what I said. It is very obvious, even major outlets reported them.

Also... With the blacks rioting and looking I can't imagine why whites would not want to live near them
Fact: it was just swelling on the side of his face. Hardly anything major.

Fact: No gunpowder was found on his body, indicating that the shots were not fired at close range. Even the scientist who examined the body said that even though the gunshots meant that Brown COULD have been charging the cop, it didn't necessarily mean it. It also could've been that he was bending over in surrender.

Fact: Several eye witness accounts point to Brown running away before the cop decided to shoot him, but this whole mess started when the cop attempted to force Brown into his car.

Fact: The police are regularly firing tear gas into crowds and antagonizing the protestors.

Fact: There is a history of institutionalized racism in this town.

Fact: People are stopping the rioters while the police do nothing.

Fact: That last line was pretty fucking racist.

P.S. Don't call people armchair activists when you're doing the same thing as them. It makes you look like a hypocrite.

Same with my sources. Look them up.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Skull Bearer said:
Dholland662 said:
Aaaand there we have it. Go on, tell us more about 'the blacks', you forgot to mention how they want to raep teh white women and have smaller brains than the white folks and how slavery was a good thing really.
Now, I'm not racist, but...

...I'm pretty sure them blacks just want to live their lives in peace, and aren't happy with looting and rioting going on around where they live, since I can't think of any person that wants their home to be looted and vandalized. I also think they quite rightly feel they're not at fault for this situation.

I just hope the relevant authorities can drag this out of the gutter and manage to somehow restore community's trust into the law enforcement and so on. It's a damn tall order, but it has to be done, if they just crack down and let this simmer, it's going to blow up again sooner or later.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Austin Manning said:
Therumancer said:
The witnesses did not perjure themselves. Perjury is the crime of lying while under oath in a court of law. Giving an account to the police or news outlet, even if said account is mistaken, is not perjury. Furthermore, the autopsy actually found found no evidence that he had struggled with the officer prior to being shot along with other evidence that actually supported the witnesses' testimony.

If you would like sources:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/18/us/missouri-teen-shooting/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

and this one, already posted by Ratty earlier:

https://tv.yahoo.com/news/michael-brown-shooting-witness-releases-video-knew-not-143600436.html
Perhaps the wrong term, but the bottom line is that witnesses were claiming he was shot in the back, which is why it's specified the shots are coming from the front. The point being that the witnesses have pretty much just proved themselves unreliable.

... and yes, I've commented myself on how a lot of the story is changing now. However one of the things those same witnesses all did agree on was that Brown reached into the police car and attempted to grab the officer's sidearm, which is when he was shot the first time. *IF* there is no evidence that he had struggled with the officer, that actually means there has been tampering with the evidence, which is sort of what I've been talking about given how the reports have changed, and how many media organizations and politicians have a stake in this, having taken a side before
anything was completed.

As I said, give it a while and I'll be the only one at all who is still on the officer's side or doubting things.

As time goes on, it seems like they are trying to turn the case into something else entirely, and by the time it's done I won't be surprised if the "truth" that is constructed by the media and politicians isn't close to what anyone said or was reporting, even the witnesses. The original situation was one where the only question was whether the cop shot the guy when he surrendered upon exiting the cop car, and if that was in any way warranted. The initial shooting wasn't even being questioned since all the witnesses even confirmed the gun-grab was made, the whole part where you get different stories and questions are raised is about whether the cop executed him. Originally it was presented as the guy having gotten to his knees, his back to the cop, and raised his hands above his head, where he was then shot in the back of
the head. A story that was debunked when it was found the shots came from the front. Some of the witnesses claim that he surrendered in that form, but then got up and started to run at the last second as the cop approached, and the cop shot him in the back.

Right now the case they *seem* to be trying to construct is one where the cop confronted a thug for jaywalking, got some lip, and stepped out of the cruiser and started spraying bullets with inept marksmanship skills, which is why the bullets are all over the place.

Of course understand this is after two autopsies (since they didn't like the first one) and a third one being suggested, and of course politicians increasingly pushing to have different people they approve of brought in to handle the case. Up to and including the desire for a special prosecutor. It's pretty much just like one of those old cases you hear about with black people decades ago where they tampered with things until they got the results they wanted and which fit the narrative they wanted to construct. That was wrong then, and it's wrong now, even if some people might feel there is some kind of belated "justice" in punishing someone that way.

As I said, this is something you probably don't want to discuss with me given my attitudes about it right now. As far as I'm concerned when The President calls the family of a dude who got himself gunned down after a strong arm robbery attempt, any pretensions of justice, and this not being entirely political are gone. Being a robber didn't give the cop the right to shoot him that way, and if he did surrender and the cop had control of the situation it should have been over, but the guy was a waste of oxygen, even if the cop didn't know about the robbery. Not someone worthy of a call from the President under any circumstances. What's more there hasn't been a trial yet, nor have we even heard from the cop or the defense team he'll presumably assemble if he has to go to trial, so we don't even know if this guy was innocent or not for anyone to be saying "sorry". If the narrative wasn't going to be controlled (or a strong attempt made) I doubt someone like Obama who is already under fire would have made a call like that and ensured the media knew he did it, since if the cop wins in court, that would mean Obama just basically endorsed a guy who tried to steal a cop's gun. Basically, I don't think we'll ever know what happened now, too many powerful people reacted for attention and have too much riding on it, and your seeing every effort made to remove the authorities who are supposed to handle it removed from the equasion so people sent by those with a vested political interest in the matter can handle it.

When this is over I won't be surprised if see pictures "leaked" of this cop hanging out with a Grand Wizard of the KKK or something, diaries about him plotting to shoot some black kid for lulz found in his house, and of course at least one mention of his unhealthy obsession with video games. Maybe taking a queue from one of Yahtzee's jokes they will say "... and investigators found he was a huge fan of the "Uncharted" games, a well known series about a white protagonist on a quest to slaughter those of color" mistaking Yahtzee's snarky humor for an actual analysis of the game (which is about a treasure hunter). I mean I'm shocked with all the politicians looking at this that they haven't found some way to work the evils of violent video games into it yet.

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
Things I learned today: If the cops straight up murder a guy for no reason people will still write long reality denying screeds defending them.

Norithics

Jul 4, 2013
I think more than anything, this just adds fuel to the idea that we should have cameras on cops. If cops are in the right, it proves they're right. If they're in the wrong, it proves that, too. If they really are the victims of being unjustly mischaracterized, I'd think they would want that the most.
Privacy concerns? We already spy on ourselves in way more intimate settings.
Budgetary concerns? Laughable considering what we see already.
Plausible deniability concerns? Should... really not be a thing!
There's just no credible reason why they shouldn't be implemented yesterday.

Raesvelg

Oct 22, 2008
Therumancer said:
Perhaps the wrong term, but the bottom line is that witnesses were claiming he was shot in the back, which is why it's specified the shots are coming from the front. The point being that the witnesses have pretty much just proved themselves unreliable.
The problem is that eyewitness testimony is always unreliable, yet paradoxically is one of the most highly regarded forms of evidence by the public.

Given the levels of media contamination in cases like this, I'd almost argue that eyewitness testimony be outright disallowed after the debacle of the Trayvon Martin case, where one of the eyewitnesses for the prosecution would go on to more-or-less recant her earlier account on the grounds that thanks to the media portrayal of the respective parties, she just assumed that the taller man was Zimmerman, since the only picture she ever saw of Martin was that one where he was considerably younger.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
CriticKitten said:
I love how the autopsy comes out and people are already making shit up about it.

Here are the facts of the report:

1) Michael Brown was not shot in the back, he was shot from the front. This outright dismisses any possibility that he was shot "while trying to flee", as people in here keep saying.
Are you daft? He was only hit from the front, that does not mean in any way shape or form that he wasn't shot at while fleeing.

2) At least one shot, likely the last shot according to the autopsy report (as it was the fatal one), shows that the victim's head was bent down when it entered him, which is consistent with a charging posture. Mind, the autopsy does not conclude whether he was charging the officer or not, it merely suggests that the officer's original statement about Brown charging him is a plausible one.
Here's some more facts about one of the earlier hits. One of the bullets (not the fatal one either) "shattered his right eye, went through his face, left through his jaw and re-entered his collarbone." Remember, that was not the fatal shot. He'd have to be pumped up on something fierce in order to be charging anyone after that shot. Heck, after having been shot 4 times previous in the arm I'd be surprised if he was fully conscious at that point.

4) Brown had marijuana in his system at the time of the shooting.
If you've payed any attention in the legalize marijuana debate you'd know why this is such a pointless thing to bring up. He had THC in his system. THC can last in the body for weeks after you actually use marijuana. He could have smoked a joint 5 seconds before the officer pulled shot him or smoked a joint a week earlier and he'd still test positive.

As to the notion that "six rounds is too many", many precincts train their officers to fire until the attacker is down, to minimize the possibility that he/she will get up and attack you back. Since four of the rounds hit his arm (none of which would have been disabling shots on their own), it's reasonable to conclude that he fired until Michael Brown was struck in the head by the fatal shot and collapsed. That means it's not "unreasonable force", it's exactly the amount of force that was required to bring down the suspect. Had they found evidence of, say, 10+ shots, (including any in a downward arc that suggests he was shot while already on the ground) then yes, that might suggest more unreasonable levels of force. But that's not what the autopsy concludes.
And you don't see a problem with this mentality? At all? You don't see a problem with police forces going in with the mentality to kill it till its dead? How many other first world countries tell their officers to keep shooting until it stops moving? The very idea of such a thing existing and anyone condoning such a mentality is fucking disturbing.

Xeorm

Apr 13, 2010
shintakie10 said:
Here's some more facts about one of the earlier hits. One of the bullets (not the fatal one either) "shattered his right eye, went through his face, left through his jaw and re-entered his collarbone." Remember, that was not the fatal shot. He'd have to be pumped up on something fierce in order to be charging anyone after that shot. Heck, after having been shot 4 times previous in the arm I'd be surprised if he was fully conscious at that point.
He was pumped up on adrenaline I'd bet. Yes, it is that amazing of a chemical. It's why our bodies pump it into our bodies when danger happens.

And you don't see a problem with this mentality? At all? You don't see a problem with police forces going in with the mentality to kill it till its dead? How many other first world countries tell their officers to keep shooting until it stops moving? The very idea of such a thing existing and anyone condoning such a mentality is fucking disturbing.
Honestly, it seems like this is a large case of naivete. Officers are trained that the moment they decide to shoot, they intend to kill. Guns are deadly weapons, and are to be used only as such. It may seem barbaric to you, but it's quite normal. Same as how warning shots and trick shots are not really used.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
CriticKitten said:
4) Brown had marijuana in his system at the time of the shooting.
Are you trying to imply this somehow made him more dangerous? Have you ever been around someone on marijuana? It makes them more passive, not more aggressive or surly. The only things marijuana makes people dangerous to are Cheetos and lava lamps.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
Wolfe M. Howler said:
They were arrested for trespassing after the officers told them to leave, and then blocked the exit. Before the police showed up to clear out the restaurant, they were not trespassing. You cannot be charged with a crime if you committed it before it was a crime.
They were on private property after they were asked to leave by the employees. That's criminal trespassing bud.

The officers refused to give their badge numbers out, making filing a brutality charge impossible. In their own words,

"After being placed in a holding cell, he was released with no charges and no explanation. He was denied information about the names and badge numbers of those who arrested him."
While I'm fuzzy on the law regarding police having to provide that information you can in fact file a criminal and civil suit against the department and town for the actions of the police. If they were right the tapes that they could legally subpoena as material evidence would show it. The court would then, assuming they sided with the reporters, order the department to look at the dispatch logs and produce all officers at the scene.

In my opinion, the man was having a panic attack, and he was calling out for help from the people getting carted away, not the police. Of course, this part is incredibly vague, so anything could of happened
But that was not the reporter's or the op's intent. It was made to sound like this guy was being denied medical treatment when he needed it. And as I proved with my list of facts he did not need medical treatment, at least not for what he was complaining about. It was sensationalism pure and simple on the reporter's part and everyone looking for a bone to pick with cops are eating that shit up.

I already covered this, but I'll add that they were charged with nothing, and released the next day.
Because the cops are trying to clear the streets. This sounds like a smallish town so they only have so many cells that they are not allowed to stick more than X number of people in because of federal humane treatment laws. Add to that the wait time for court dates because of how many people are being brought in and it just makes sense to let them go. These guys were small fish in the big picture, but they were committing a crime and needed to be arrested for it. Heaven forbid if they were white and didn't get the same treatment as everyone else.

Also, how do you justify the reporters who were tear-gassed and had their cameras illegally dismantled? What crime did they commit?
At first it started out as unlawful assembly...
http://definitions.uslegal.com/u/unlawful-assembly/

...and now that people know it's illegal it has turned into civil disobedience.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/civil%20disobedience

dragonswarrior

Also a Social Justice Warrior
Feb 13, 2012
Cowabungaa said:
dragonswarrior said:
I feel like many posters are missing the point.

This all began when a WHITE POLICE OFFICER SHOT AN UNARMED BLACK TEENAGER IN THE BACK. Or the front while his hands were in the air depending on your story.
Actually, I'd say just focusing on that and just looking at the racial dimension is missing the even larger point. That larger point being that US police forces have, on a wide scale, forgotten that successful law enforcement requires you to be involved and work with the local community, be a part of that community so that they know what's going on. If you want to find out what problems are a-brewin' you need to know what the word on the street is. Hell even The Wire tried to tell us that a decade ago.
Ya know, you make a good point, but I'm still gonna have to go with the racism on this one.

If you look at the incredibly high rates of police brutality and violence towards PoC, and especially black men, then you realize pretty quickly that this is about race. Factor in the ridiculous difference in punishments against whites and PoC....

You should read The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness by Michelle Alexander. Fascinating and horribly depressing book. Will really open your eyes though. Definitely worth it.

Austin Manning

Apr 10, 2012
Therumancer said:
It's pretty much just like one of those old cases you hear about with black people decades ago where they tampered with things until they got the results they wanted and which fit the narrative they wanted to construct. That was wrong then, and it's wrong now, even if some people might feel there is some kind of belated "justice" in punishing someone that way.
Can you give me some specific instances and sources for this? It's fairly inflammatory stuff to post without supporting evidence.

When this is over I won't be surprised if see pictures "leaked" of this cop hanging out with a Grand Wizard of the KKK or something, diaries about him plotting to shoot some black kid for lulz found in his house, and of course at least one mention of his unhealthy obsession with video games. Maybe taking a queue from one of Yahtzee's jokes they will say "... and investigators found he was a huge fan of the "Uncharted" games, a well known series about a white protagonist on a quest to slaughter those of color" mistaking Yahtzee's snarky humor for an actual analysis of the game (which is about a treasure hunter). I mean I'm shocked with all the politicians looking at this that they haven't found some way to work the evils of violent video games into it yet.
This last paragraph of yours is almost painfully ironic. You write about how you're afraid the truth will never come out, that so many powerful people are involved, we haven't heard the officer's story and he'll probably be convicted by the media instead of a court of law. In fairness to you, these are all legitimate points. We should be able to hear the officer's account, and he is innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

However,

You don't extend that same courtesy to Michael Brown. You dismiss him as thug, a waste of air and a robber even though he hasn't had his day in court. He was never arrested, tried or convicted, but as far as you're concerned he's guilty as sin because of an unrelated video leaked by people in authority who had a major stake in the case. Exactly what you were afraid would happen to Officer Wilson has happened to him, and you've allowed your own view to be manipulated by it; the very same thing you've been decrying others for doing.

Wolfe M. Howler

Jun 27, 2011
Sarge034 said:
They were on private property after they were asked to leave by the employees. That's criminal trespassing bud.
I'm going to need proof that the employees were the ones who told them to leave.

Remember, the place was being used by more than those two reporters. The report called it a "hub", due to it's free wifi. Why was it only the two who had filmed the police the only ones who were arrested?

At first it started out as unlawful assembly...
http://definitions.uslegal.com/u/unlawful-assembly/

...and now that people know it's illegal it has turned into civil disobedience.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/civil%20disobedience
At common law, an unlawful assembly is a gathering of at least three persons whose conduct causes observers to reasonably fear that a breach of the peace will result.

Watch this:

http://www.ksdk.com/story/news/local/2014/08/14/crews-hit-with-bean-bags-tear-gas/14042747/

The camera was fired on directly, followed by the cops aiming the abandoned cameras at the ground and dismantling their lighting. How, exactly, were those four people in any danger of breaching the peace?

Wolfe M. Howler

Jun 27, 2011
CriticKitten said:
I'm confused on how the fight would of played out when this is combined with the autopsy that showed no muzzle burns on his body, meaning he was shot from a distance away.

Did the struggle for the officer's gun not happen, or did Brown run a short distance away and then double-back for another charge? Could one of the bullets to the arm spin him around?

It's good to hear he wasn't shot while on the ground, though.

I'm just wondering how the fight played out.

Norithics

Jul 4, 2013
So, Amnesty International just got kicked out of a US town.

Go ahead, spin that one as a positive! Dazzle me.