Rampant Police Brutality and Media censorship in Ferguson Missouri

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
Plunkies said:
jklinders said:
Just making sure that this does not confuse things any further than they already are. Good score actually.

Still pretty nasty. The video was to far away to judge anything but the fact that the police were misleading people about how far away the suspect was at the time however. I could not see anything about the suspect to judge his posture or whether what was in his hand was properly visible to police or not. Then again, the cops said the knife was clearly visible in an overhand grip at the time. looks like the entire sequence of events was doctored by the cops to keep them smelling clean. At least 6 shots fired, no warning that I could hear.

Very nasty.
If you're within 20 feet brandishing a knife you're considered a very lethal threat. This guy dropped dead within 2 feet of the cop car. They yelled repeatedly to drop the knife. In fact, even a bystander yelled drop the knife as well. Not sure what video you watched. Though I admit it can be difficult to tell considering how many of these people never learn how to get their phone out of portrait mode to record a video.
The guys arms were at his sides. He also was not moving towards them when the first shot was fired. Those are the only 2 things that were evident from that video I saw. It happened very fast but very differently from what the police said happened. That's all I needed. If they want credibility they should at least learn how to lie effectively.

Plunkies

Oct 31, 2007
jklinders said:
The guys arms were at his sides. He also was not moving towards them when the first shot was fired. Those are the only 2 things that were evident from that video I saw. It happened very fast but very differently from what the police said happened. That's all I needed. If they want credibility they should at least learn how to lie effectively.
He's clearly walking at the cop. He lands right in front of them. And what exactly should he be doing with his hands to justify deadly force? Stabbing at the air?

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
Plunkies said:
jklinders said:
He's clearly walking at the cop. He lands right in front of them. And what exactly should he be doing with his hands to justify deadly force? Stabbing at the air?
Oh I don't know, maybe matching the police statement that he was lifting the knife with both hands in an overhead motion like the police said he was. Maybe you don't give a shit that armed authority figures who are gunning people down are making bullshit about the circumstances of them discharging their weapons but I do. Maybe the use of force was necessary, maybe it wasn't. The video does not show that. But is does catch the police out in an out and out lie. You wanna ignore that facet of the event, that's your business. Don't expect the rest of us to be that complacent.

"And what exactly should he be doing with his hands to justify deadly force? Stabbing at the air?" That level of snippyness is utterly uncalled for. Especially given how much of the facts of this case you are glossing over with it.

Plunkies

Oct 31, 2007
jklinders said:
Plunkies said:
jklinders said:
Oh I don't know, maybe matching the police statement that he was lifting the knife with both hands in an overhead motion like the police said he was. Maybe you don't give a shit that armed authority figures who are gunning people down are making bullshit about the circumstances of them discharging their weapons but I do. Maybe the use of force was necessary, maybe it wasn't. The video does not show that. But is does catch the police out in an out and out lie. You wanna ignore that facet of the event, that's your business. Don't expect the rest of us to be that complacent.

"And what exactly should he be doing with his hands to justify deadly force? Stabbing at the air?" That level of snippyness is utterly uncalled for. Especially given how much of the facts of this case you are glossing over with it.
I've read 2 separate articles about the shooting and haven't seen any of this.

"he was lifting the knife with both hands in an overhead motion"

Show me where it says that.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
Plunkies said:
jklinders said:
Plunkies said:
jklinders said:

Second line below the photo if you need that much help. It reads "Officers claimed that they were in fear of their lives as Powell charged at them with a knife. They claim he had the knife in an ?overhand grip? and came within three feet of the officers, at which time they opened fire, killing Powell."

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/cell-phone-video-emerges-refutes-st-louis-cops-version-shooting/

He was by your own admission at least five feet away when he went down (lie number one) and I saw no evidence of an overhand grip on a knife (lie number 2)

I'm done with this back and forth until this one hits the court. those are the facts.

Plunkies

Oct 31, 2007
jklinders said:
Plunkies said:
jklinders said:
Plunkies said:
jklinders said:

Second line below the photo if you need that much help. It reads "Officers claimed that they were in fear of their lives as Powell charged at them with a knife. They claim he had the knife in an ?overhand grip? and came within three feet of the officers, at which time they opened fire, killing Powell."

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/cell-phone-video-emerges-refutes-st-louis-cops-version-shooting/

He was by your own admission at least five feet away when he went down (lie number one) and I saw no evidence of an overhand grip on a knife (lie number 2)

I'm done with this back and forth until this one hits the court. those are the facts.
Hah, you don't think that site has a slight agenda? Did you never go beyond the first site you clicked? That's not even a news article. Not even the huffington post says he charged them with a knife over his head. It's funny how you're so worked up about this while I could barely give a shit, and yet I've done more research on your strong opinion than you have. That's essentially what the riots in Ferguson are. A bunch of people with emotions and strong opinions that can't be bothered to do any research.

And since you seem confused by what "overhand grip" means, it means the knife is held with the blade coming out of the bottom of the fist. It has little to do with whether lethal force should be used, and certainly doesn't imply that the lunatic was running around like the guy from Psycho.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Plunkies said:
jklinders said:
Plunkies said:
jklinders said:
Plunkies said:
jklinders said:

Hah, you don't think that site has a slight agenda? Did you never go beyond the first site you clicked? That's not even a news article. Not even the huffington post says he charged them with a knife over his head. It's funny how you're so worked up about this while I could barely give a shit, and yet I've done more research on your strong opinion than you have. That's essentially what the riots in Ferguson are. A bunch of people with emotions and strong opinions that can't be bothered to do any research.

And since you seem confused by what "overhand grip" means, it means the knife is held with the blade coming out of the bottom of the fist. It has little to do with whether lethal force should be used, and certainly doesn't imply that the lunatic was running around like the guy from Psycho.
Some people are more concerned with justice than the truth. That's what I've gathered. Personally, I'm waiting till all the facts are on the table. Far too often people decide what is true before they know all the details. I've seen this in several of these recent cases.

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
Shit keeps happening in and around Ferguson. First let's look at Ferguson PD Officer Ray Albers who was fired after pointing his gun at protestors and media and shouting "I'M GONNA FUCKING KILL YOU"

And then consider for a moment all the images we've seen of gas masked officers pointing guns at unarmed civilians with their hands in the air over the past week. It looks for all the world like Albers was just unfortunate in that he forgot to remove his identification and wear a mask like the earlier ones had done.

Then there's the campaign that has raised $200,000 for Wilson, many of the donators doing it just to congratulate him with messages like this.

(Since this post it's raised another $100,000)

Most of that money is going to go right into Wilson's pocket, because he probably won't need it for attorneys as

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/119157/darren-wilsons-conviction-will-be-basically-impossible

If I were Wilson, and I were only protecting myself in this shooting as Wilson says he was, then I'd seriously consider giving this money to charity, because I'd sure feel filthy spending it.

Also a young woman was shot in the head perportedly by Police Officers, they took the bullet out as "evidence" and now apparently, mysteriously, have no record of her case http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politics/Another_Shooting_In_Ferguson

Plunkies

Oct 31, 2007
jklinders said:
Every site has an agenda. You have an agenda, I have an agenda. Grow...the fuck...up. Find me the exact police statement that contradicts this or go home with your tail between your legs. His arms were at his sides and he was twice as far away as the police lied about him being. Agenda or not, those are facts anything else is hand wringing BS. If the best you can do at this point is attack the source when the fucking video clearly contradicts the official story then you are just being silly.
No. I'm not talking about MSNBC's general left wing agenda, or FOX's general right wing agenda, I'm saying that entire site's purpose, its reason for existing, is anti-cop. It is not a news site, it does not care about reporting facts. It is designed to work up resentment toward police and that is all.

Again, you're the one so upset over the incident. Why don't you look up the police report? The answer, of course, is obvious. You care about being outraged. You'll find a reason no matter what the facts are. First you thought there was no warning given when it's clearly audible in the video. Then you misunderstood what overhand grip means without looking it up yourself. Now you're down to splitting hairs over how far the aggressing knife wielder was to police based on an oddly angled video and whether his arms were in the air or not as if it even matters. You'll never put the onus on the on the criminal with the knife no matter what the facts are.

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
So now after the original gofundme page for Wilson closed down with more than $234,000 in reward money for him. The new page (which has already got about $10,000) is set up by a local Police union. Just in case you had any questions about the impartiality of the people who are ostensibly supposed to be investigating Wilson for murder at this point.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jacobfischler/gofundme-page-for-darren-wilson-replaced-by-tax-deductible-c#1ob4xdb

Majinash

May 27, 2014
Ratty said:
Shit keeps happening in and around Ferguson.
Really? I understand you aren't from the area but this is getting dishonest. It's like saying all the crime in New York is happening "in and around Staten Island".
Ratty said:
So now after the original gofundme page for Wilson closed down with more than $234,000 in reward money for him. The new page (which has already got about $10,000) is set up by a local Police union. Just in case you had any questions about the impartiality of the people who are ostensibly supposed to be investigating Wilson for murder at this point.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jacobfischler/gofundme-page-for-darren-wilson-replaced-by-tax-deductible-c#1ob4xdb
So a union raising money for a member speaks something to impartiality of the justice system? That is really stretching things.

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
Majinash said:
Ratty said:
Shit keeps happening in and around Ferguson.
Really? I understand you aren't from the area but this is getting dishonest. It's like saying all the crime in New York is happening "in and around Staten Island".
Yeah I was very unclear there sorry. By "around" I meant more metaphorically. Like "all of these bad things keep swirling around this point". By "around" I was speaking more of the donation drive than anything else (although that other killing caught on video was near Ferguson) which took in hundreds of thousands from across the nation and probably outside it. But I can see how that would be easily (or even probably) be misinterpreted, I guess I was just tired. My bad.

Majinash said:
Ratty said:

So a union raising money for a member speaks something to impartiality of the justice system? That is really stretching things.
If it's the union for the people were are/were supposed to be investigating him yeah. "We will pursue this case impartially, and we'll start by doing a donation drive for the accused."

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
The image of the apparently very toxic, confrontational culture of St. Louis Police just keeps getting fuller- and more disturbing.

" ?I personally believe in Jesus Christ as my lord and savior, but I?m also a killer,? said officer Dan Page, a 35-year veteran, in the video. ?I?ve killed a lot. And if I need to, I?ll kill a whole bunch more. If you don?t want to get killed, don?t show up in front of me. I have no problems with it. God did not raise me to be a coward." Page added, ?I?m into diversity ? I kill everybody. I don?t care." "

http://news.yahoo.com/suspended-st-louis-police-officer-im-diversity-kill-130100473.html

This cop is also one of those who keep insisting Obama was born in Kenya, because they can't wrap their minds around the idea his election was legitimate.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
Wolfe M. Howler said:
I'm going to need proof that the employees were the ones who told them to leave.

Remember, the place was being used by more than those two reporters. The report called it a "hub", due to it's free wifi. Why was it only the two who had filmed the police the only ones who were arrested?
Burden of proof lies with the accuser, not the accused. Again, if the reporters had a case they would sue the city and provide the security video as evidence. If memory serves, they were not the only ones arrested. Everyone using the place as a base of operations was arrested.

At common law, an unlawful assembly is a gathering of at least three persons whose conduct causes observers to reasonably fear that a breach of the peace will result.

Watch this:

http://www.ksdk.com/story/news/local/2014/08/14/crews-hit-with-bean-bags-tear-gas/14042747/

The camera was fired on directly, followed by the cops aiming the abandoned cameras at the ground and dismantling their lighting. How, exactly, were those four people in any danger of breaching the peace?
Because of the thing they were there protesting, something that literally has people coming from around the US to start violent protests. It doesn't matter if these particular protesters were peaceable or not. They were demonstrating illegally (a crime due to local ordinances) and the topic of the demonstration has been demonstrated to very easily escalate into breaching the peace.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
Ratty said:

If it's the union for the people were are/were supposed to be investigating him yeah. "We will pursue this case impartially, and we'll start by doing a donation drive for the accused."
You do know that is the unions job, right? If they didn't support their member then they would be breaking federal labor laws? And it's IA's (Internal Affairs) job to investigate the case, not the union's. All the union does is provide collective bargaining when it is time to negotiate contracts, assist in legal matters pertaining to the job, and provide a small stipend if the officers go on strike and or are suspended without pay.

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
Sarge034 said:
Ratty said:

You do know that is the unions job, right? If they didn't support their member then they would be breaking federal labor laws? And it's IA's (Internal Affairs) job to investigate the case, not the union's. All the union does is provide collective bargaining when it is time to negotiate contracts, assist in legal matters pertaining to the job, and provide a small stipend if the officers go on strike and or are suspended without pay.
Yes I'm familiar with how unions work. Does starting fundraisers for the Officer generally fall under providing legal assistance? It's disturbing all the same. In related news Wilson's fundraiser has surpassed Brown's, even though the many racist messages that went along with the donations to Wilson broke GoFundMe and WePay's policies. (Which was ignored by both.)

Wolfe M. Howler

Jun 27, 2011
Sarge034 said:
Burden of proof lies with the accuser, not the accused. Again, if the reporters had a case they would sue the city and provide the security video as evidence. If memory serves, they were not the only ones arrested. Everyone using the place as a base of operations was arrested.
If the burden of proof lies with the accuser, then you're the one who needs to prove they were committing a crime. You are the one accusing them of committing the crime. Secondly, the video one reporter published shows that they were not all arrested. Ryan Reilly, one of the reporters, said that they were specifically arrested for "Not packing their bags quick enough". Not to mention, the headlines wouldn't just say "2 reporters detained in Ferguson" if EVERYONE was arrested.

If you can't provide evidence to your claims, I'm going to have to assume you lied.

Because of the thing they were there protesting, something that literally has people coming from around the US to start violent protests. It doesn't matter if these particular protesters were peaceable or not. They were demonstrating illegally (a crime due to local ordinances) and the topic of the demonstration has been demonstrated to very easily escalate into breaching the peace.
You didn't watch the video, or read the article. I'm going to ignore the specifics of why this is wrong until you watch it.

You do realize that just because people are protesting a few blocks away doesn't mean the police has the right to attack everyone nearby, especially if those people are STANDING AT A CAMERA, NOT PROTESTING.

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
Thinking about it more, it's interesting. You see a lot of people complain about the "liberal media" trying to "play up" this event for sales. But then you hear Sean Hannity doctored old X-rays of Wilson to make it seem like his fracture X-rays weren't actually from a few years ago and you think "Well of course that's just Fox".

But then you see this comparison of the "liberal" New York Times speaking of Micheal Brown and Timothy McVeigh.

tl;dr

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiL-E5WAaUU

Feel like this is relevant. Not going to load it directly, but this apparently was audio of the gunshots of Mike Brown's death. The pause between shots really is scary.