Rant thread about dogs

Rylot

May 14, 2010
Had a crappy day and need to get some stuff off my chest.

So a little back ground: I volunteer with a dog rescue that specifically works with Dachshund and Dachshund mixes. I usually have one foster at a time and then transport other dogs for the rescue. How our rescue works is that when we get a dog from either an owner surrendering them or from a shelter that's getting too full we take them to a specific vet to get checked out and put into boarding until a foster can be found. Most of the dogs in our rescue our in foster homes to cut down on boarding costs and give the dogs a better place to stay until they get a forever home than a small cage with limited human interaction.

So the call went out that a dog needed to be transported from a large shelter in town to our vet. Not doing much else today I agreed. Usually with owner surrenders we don't get much info on the dogs and so I have no idea what kind of home this dog came from, but holy shit was Winston in bad shape. Being that he's a fourteen year old Dachshund I wasn't expecting a dog in peak physical shape but my God. A Dachshund in reasonably good health can expect to make it to eighteen to twenty.

Like I said I don't know who owned the dog before but they failed miserably at taking care of him. He had maybe ten teeth left in his rotting mouth. He was probably five pounds over weight, which might not sound like a lot but for a dog that should only weigh 15 lbs that's 25% of his body weight that he needs to loose. He was in pretty sever pain to the point that I couldn't pet him anywhere than on top of his head and forget about picking him up. I'd be willing to bet the farm that he slipped a disk in his back which is causing him the pain. When you let them/ feed them table scraps to the point Dachshunds get that big it's only a matter of time until their back goes out.

So because like I said I don't know the exact situation the dog came from I'm making an educated guess that this dog is coming from a home that failed miserably to provide even the barest hint at dental care (very little people food and a raw hide every now and then and they're good), gave the dog tons of people food with little to no exercise to point his back went out and now their either can't afford it or don't want to pay so instead of doing the responsible thing and putting the dog down themselves they just dump it off at a shelter and abdicate any responsibility. This dog has no quality of life and surgery is probably out of the question so his family abandoned him to a situation where he get left in cages and drug around from place to place until finally somebody puts him out of his misery.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't have all the facts on this dog but I've seen too many good dogs get dumped at the first sign of any health or behavioral issues to give people the benefit of the doubt.

TLDR: I'm in a shitty mood because I transported a dog in terrible health that a family probably abandoned just so he could be put down.

I vote for a discussion we talk about awesome dogs we got from rescues or shelters. Boomer was my first foster and I foster failed hard. Despite the fact that he ran away eight times the first week we had him something just stuck between us. He can be a complete pain in the ass but at the end of the day I know he'll be curled up by my feet in bed.

He's the black and tan one on the bottom, the other one is a year old Chiweenie (Dachshund Chihuahua) we just got adopted out. He was abandoned because he had non contagious mange (demodex) and happy tail (he wagged his tail so much he'd beat it on everything til it was raw and bloody and wouldn't let it heal, hence the cone)

Mr Fixit

Oct 22, 2008
Good on you, too few people are willing to take on animals with special needs like that.

I've taken in a rescue before & pick up so many strays that I've lost count, dogs & cats & the occasional person. The rescue I took in is a terrier mix & the asshole that had him kept him chained inside a shed, chained from the ceiling on a chain so short his feet barely touched the floor. When I got him his muscles had atrophied to the point where he could barely walk. He was also underfed & so infested with fleas that he was almost hairless & now has an allergic reaction to them.

He's doing much better now, a lively & very happy little mutt. We'll keep him for as long as we need to, but we would like to find him a home.

Rylot

May 14, 2010
Mr Fixit said:
The rescue I took in is a terrier mix & the asshole that had him kept him chained inside a shed, chained from the ceiling on a chain so short his feet barely touched the floor. When I got him his muscles had atrophied to the point where he could barely walk. He was also underfed & so infested with fleas that he was almost hairless & now has an allergic reaction to them.
I just don't get that. If you clearly don't want to own an animal then why the fuck do you own it? Glad he's doing good. It's kind of amazing how much animals can take and still be really great pets.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
My current dog was rescued from a home that was just fucking crazy. Little kids running around and wanting to ride him like a horse, and was underfed to where I can see his ribs. He was about 5 months old when I got him and he didn't really want to be petted, but if he did he did that shy-away thing that dogs do.

Two years ago he had to have back surgery since he got a slipped disk from what I assume the little kids trying to ride him.

I've had him for about 9 years now and I love the little guy, who is currently chewing on a bone very loudly.

It just kills me when I hear horror stories about dogs like that, and it makes me very angry.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
My dog was a staffie of unknown age. About 10; very well bred, very fit, though she had a lot of trouble with stairs, and had a few scars. I only learned anything about her when I accidentaly ran into her previous owner; she started getting really friendly with them, which she doesn't do with strangers.

Turns out, for 5 years of her life, she lived at a puppy farm, pushing out commercially produced puppies after being taken from the woman and sold by her husband, while they were going through a very bitter divorce. When someone did get her back, she was so sick that she had to stay for weeks at a time with the vets.

And somewhere along the line, I ended up getting her.

She died a few years ago, though. The best dog anyone could ever have.

It really brightens my day when I learn about people not treating their animals like shite. Which is... ok.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
Good on you, OP. It really warms my heart to hear of people doing whatever they could to help an animal. I'm sorry that the dog you transported was put down :( I can't bear it when I hear of people treating their animals badly. I get incredibly angry. I wish I could work at a dog shelter, but I get the feeling that I'd probably run out in a murderous rage and would most likely kill whoever hurt the dogs.

I must confess that none of the dogs I have had in my life have come from a rescue center. While my parents wanted to rescue a dog, we were not allowed one because Battersea Dogs Home have become incredibly picky, and because my parents both had jobs we were not allowed a dog. Despite my parents having animals all their lives, despite a big enough house, they just weren't allowed one. However, I do understand why they have these rules in place, and I respect that. It's just a shame when my family genuinely wanted to help a dog, and rescue a dog and give one a new home and lots of love.

However, I do have two awesome dogs, a Belgium Shephard and a Rottweiler. Rottweilers are commonly thought of as vicious here in the UK, and so many people have shouted abuse at me, my parents and at my rotty just because she's a rotty. She's never done anything wrong, never harmed another dog or a person. She's just a friendly baby.

But, (I know, I'm breaking the thread rules about dogs!) I have a rescue Cat. His name is Tribble (he actually makes tribble sounds!) He came to my house one day a few years ago. He had not been snipped, he had fleas, worms, he was far too thin which was visible despite his hugely fluffy fur. We do not know who had him first, and the vets reckon he is about 8 years old. He is very shy, he runs and hides from new people, and if you raise your hand up too fast he runs away. He is too scared to go outside most of the time out of fear he won't be let back in. I would love to know who had him first, just so I can hit them or something, throw a brick at their heads maybe. He is the most loving, most friendly and awesome cat ever. Here is him now with my other kitty, Smudge. Tribble is the black and white fluffball:

Rylot

May 14, 2010
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Two years ago he had to have back surgery since he got a slipped disk from what I assume the little kids trying to ride him.
Probably since that's not a common problem with that breed (I'm assuming he's a Lab) . With Dachshunds we're basically waiting for the day they slip a disk. I helped my girlfriend at the time with one of her mother's dogs (also a Dachshund) slipped a disk. It wasn't fun having to use a sling to help him walk. How did you rehab a bigger dog like that?

Someone Depressing said:
Turns out, for 5 years of her life, she lived at a puppy farm, pushing out commercially produced puppies after being taken from the woman and sold by her husband, while they were going through a very bitter divorce. When someone did get her back, she was so sick that she had to stay for weeks at a time with the vets.
Seriously? Key their car or something. Taking it out on a helps creature is beyond contemptible. Also what is a staffie?

Padwolf said:
I would love to know who had him first, just so I can hit them or something, throw a brick at their heads maybe.
Well, they haven't put the dog down yet, and maybe it's a quick fix, but with a dog in that poor of health and that old it doesn't seem very likely that the rescue will be able to help him and get him into a loving forever home. It'd be amazing if we could.

Eh my other dog, and actually the one that turned me on to smaller dogs came from a breeder. They named her Bebe and I talked my girlfriend at the time into adding a Q so her name sounds like BBQ. We got her American Kennel Club Good Canine Citizenship certified at eight months old. It's rather humbling to get out smarted by something that's only ten pounds. Dogs can't really choose where they come from so holding it against them that they came from a breeder doesn't make sense.

I'm not a cat person but I don't hate them. If you both make each other happy then it's all good. I understand about wanting to know what happened to an animal previously. The dog that we foster failed with is skiddish around men and bigger dogs. Also the end of his tail is broken into a curly Q kinda like a pig's. No back story on him other than two other fosters returned him because he was being difficult. That's how my ex talked me into fostering him. I originally didn't want to foster any dogs, just transport them but 'Boomer' was pretty much on his last leg with the rescue and really needed a foster.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Rylot said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Probably since that's not a common problem with that breed (I'm assuming he's a Lab) . With Dachshunds we're basically waiting for the day they slip a disk. I helped my girlfriend at the time with one of her mother's dogs (also a Dachshund) slipped a disk. It wasn't fun having to use a sling to help him walk. How did you rehab a bigger dog like that?
Yeah, he's a Lab. I know they are known for having back problems, and I assumed that was the case with him. Except he couldn't really move all that well and the doctor told me what the problem was, so the conclusion was it happened before I got him.

It was... interesting. I had to make sure his little makeshift bed was near my bed and I had to use a bed sheet as a sling to help him around the house. He's a little over weight, so that didn't help matters. I had to help him to go outside as well and that was an adventure. After a week he figured out he could shimmy around the house, and while I can laugh at it now I wasn't that thrilled with him.

I had to have one of my friends help me get him into my car for his appointments since there was no way I could do it solo. He wasn't miserable or in too much pain, but I figured that with the type of drugs they gave him I'm surprised he knew what planet he was on.

Thankfully, he had a very quick recovery. It took about a month and a half before he could walk on his own without me watching him like a hawk and using a sling. The walks outside got longer and he could sort of run. What was interesting was that the doctor said he wouldn't be able to run as much as he used to, but that didn't end up being the case since he can still run around like a little puppy.

However, when the weather changes I have to give him a pain pill since he walks a little stiff and isn't moving that swiftly. :/

Tilted_Logic

Apr 2, 2010
Padwolf said:
He came to my house one day a few years ago. He had not been snipped, he had fleas, worms, he was far too thin which was visible despite his hugely fluffy fur. We do not know who had him first, and the vets reckon he is about 8 years old. He is very shy, he runs and hides from new people, and if you raise your hand up too fast he runs away. He is too scared to go outside most of the time out of fear he won't be let back in. I would love to know who had him first, just so I can hit them or something, throw a brick at their heads maybe. He is the most loving, most friendly and awesome cat ever.
I realize with your cat being 8 when you found him this may not make this likely, but would it be at all possible he was simply a stray? I live just slightly in the country, and within the past 10 years we've adopted 4 strays that showed up at our door (at different times): two of them were malnourished toms, one was pregnant with a broken tail, and another was one of four kittens that was so young she had her first heat after meeting us (we found homes for her 3 siblings). They all had extremely varying degrees of friendliness/skittishness. The kitten we adopted was amazingly friendly and affectionate, while her 3 siblings were nervous and wary of anything we did, displaying the behavior you mentioned of your cat.

That's not to mention quite a few other strays that I was unable to coax into trusting me enough to the point I could find them homes.

Dealing with so many strays I always wonder how they end up at our house, we're not really close to anything aside from a highway. They all have their own characteristics though, and what you said reminded me a lot of many of the strays I have encountered, although some of the most depressing looking cats (swollen face and cuts) could be the friendliest, while healthy kittens ran at the sight of us. Either way, thank you so much for providing a loving home to Tribble (adorable name by the way).

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
There are people who don't deserve to have a pet rock, let along a living, feeling creature. I worked for a pet store chain for ten years, and I still remember the woman who wanted to know about correction collars ("shock collars"), and literally every three minutes she said about her dog "I can't wait to zap her when she doesn't listen to me". She thankfully left without buying one, and she's lucky I didn't end up wrapping one of those collars around her miserable neck before that. (I've been zapped by those collars a few times, and while it's not painful, I'd stop what I was doing if it went off.)

My family has always rescued animals, and we had three adopted dogs at one point- a German Shepherd mix (who was terrified of the tiled floor in our basement for some reason), a Husky mix (a puppy from a Husky female we couldn't keep because she was an escape artist), and a terrier mix. I don't have the time or space for a dog myself, sadly- plus the cat who adopted me keeps me company well enough.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
Tilted_Logic said:
We thought about if he was simply a stray or not, but strays in the area we lived at the time were extremely rare, not really heard of at all. It was in a city. And his actions when it comes to humans, and if you move your hands in a certain way, just kinda show that he must have been beaten and hurt before by other people. It's really sad sometimes if you do something by accident and he runs away thinking he's about to be hurt :/ And it's good to hear that you adopted them and took care of them.

Rylot said:
Good on you for taking him in though. I quite like smaller doggies too, but I just love the bigger breeds more, though some of them can be hard work! Oh, I didn't mean to make it sound like I held it against them that they come from breeders! I don't at all. Dogs can't help where they come from, and my Belgium Shephard comes from a breeder, a really wonderful lady who took great care of all the dogs in her care and made sure all the puppies went to lovely homes. My Rotty came from a lovely family who had a litter of rotties for sale. I would have loved to have taken them all!

Rylot

May 14, 2010
Padwolf said:
Good on you for taking him in though. I quite like smaller doggies too, but I just love the bigger breeds more, though some of them can be hard work! Oh, I didn't mean to make it sound like I held it against them that they come from breeders! I don't at all. Dogs can't help where they come from, and my Belgium Shephard comes from a breeder, a really wonderful lady who took great care of all the dogs in her care and made sure all the puppies went to lovely homes. My Rotty came from a lovely family who had a litter of rotties for sale. I would have loved to have taken them all!
Yeah, I grew up with Golden Retrievers and always looked down on smaller breeds. My Ex grew up with Dachshunds and wanted one from a breeder her mother knew. I was pretty against the idea of getting something colloquially known as a 'wiener dog'. Then she started showing me pictures of a little month old Miniature Dachshund and I was done for. I still like playing with bigger dogs (my ex has a sister with a Great Dane who's a hoot to wrestle with) but it is kinda nice to have a dog I can pick up with one hand when he's being a little shit. I've only met a few Rottys but man where they really awesome and friendly. I love how they're this big dog but have this itty bitty little stub of a tail that's just wagging a mile a minute.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
Rylot said:
Yeah, I grew up with Golden Retrievers and always looked down on smaller breeds. My Ex grew up with Dachshunds and wanted one from a breeder her mother knew. I was pretty against the idea of getting something colloquially known as a 'wiener dog'. Then she started showing me pictures of a little month old Miniature Dachshund and I was done for. I still like playing with bigger dogs (my ex has a sister with a Great Dane who's a hoot to wrestle with) but it is kinda nice to have a dog I can pick up with one hand when he's being a little shit. I've only met a few Rottys but man where they really awesome and friendly. I love how they're this big dog but have this itty bitty little stub of a tail that's just wagging a mile a minute.
Gold Retrievers are so lovely! They have such great temperaments and are intelligent. Yeah, I know what you mean, I'd love to be able to pick my dogs up when they are being trouble, but also it would be easier when it comes to giving them a bath. My two are such babies, we have to lift them up and place them in the bathtub. Smaller breeds are adorable, I'd quite love to have a miniature yorkshire terrier, they are so small and adorable! Just look at them!

Aw, I'd love to wrestle with a great dane. They are such gorgeous dogs! Rottys are lovely, mine has a full tail, and it hurts when she accidently whips with it! This is her, I love showing pics of dogs too much:

Megalodon

May 14, 2010
Rylot said:
Also what is a staffie?
Short for Staffordshire Bull Terrier. Pretty similar looking to a pitbull (which are illegal in the UK, so instead Chavs get Staffies or 'Staffie-crosses'). Marvellous dogs, just like every other 'dangerous' breed, I've never met a bad one.

The family have rescued two dogs over the years, a German Shepard who had to be put down 4 years ago (Christ, that long ago now...) and a Rhodesian Ridgeback-German Shepard cross, who's a right soppy moron.

Coruptin

Inaction Master
Jul 9, 2009
Dang, I thought this was going to be thread for people who hate dogs

I'll see myself out then

Rylot

May 14, 2010
Padwolf said:
Yeah, growing up bath time was a wrestling match. One my dad and I would lose frequently. With Dachshunds I just kinda nudge them off the side of the tub when they start to jump out. It also makes getting their bellies easier. Nail trimming is a different story. For what ever reason my mini hates getting her nails trimmed with a fiery burning hatred usually reserved for birds and bicycles. I felt ridiculous paying a vet to do it for us but when she fought and squirmed to the point they needed to have a second tech come in I felt a little justified. She's never bitten anyone but you wouldn't believe how hard 10 lbs can flail and squirm.

I've seen some really small Yorkies at the local dog park. Most are super friendly but I'm terrified I'll pet them too hard and break them.

I've never seen a Rotty with a tail. It's almost like trying to picture a Corgi with one. She's very cute.

Megalodon said:
Like you can't physically own a Pit anywhere in the UK?... Seriously?... That's really dumb. That isn't going to solve a single problem. Like you pointed out people that want tough guard/fighting dogs are just going to move onto different breeds and the problem remains. Sure ban the breed of dogs that are getting loose and attacking people while those who chained them up and treated them terribly for their entire lives and took a happy loving puppy and forced it into being vicious attack dog are free to get more dogs. That's a huge thing here in central Texas where a lot of people get Pits as an alarm system and specifically train them to be vicious, and now apartments and housing communities are banning them. So pits in shelters are bumped to the top of kill lists regardless of temperament and responsible owners have a way more difficult time finding places to live. I try and not be a misanthrope I just wish people didn't make it so hard sometimes.

...Sorry, I'll put the soap box away...

I've only ever seen a few Ridgebacks but they're very pretty dogs. I know about dogs being kinda dumb; my Boomer got out one night and started chasing a small herd of deer down the street. Finally after about a block one of the bucks turned around and charged at him. Boomer immediately came running to me and the deer never got closer than twenty feet. I just looked at him and said 'You're fifteen pounds of inflated ego and out dated hunting instincts versus a ninety pound of survival instincts and antlers. What the hell did you think was gonna happen?'

and because I can:

Funnily enough Bebe-Q hates clothes while Boomer absolutely loves them. No idea why but he gets upset if we don't dress him everyday.

Well, thanks guys I'm feeling quite a bit lifted after a crap day yesterday. Cheers!

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
Rylot said:
snippidy big snip
Haha lucky, my dogs have tried to escape the bath, but have only panicked themselves and slipped back in! Now they just stare at us with the "why would you do this to me?" eyes, like they've been betrayed. Yes, we can't have pits at all here in the UK. I think the same way as you do about it, it's not going to help the problem one bit. All in all, I think it's down to advertising the dogs. In films, games, books, you see these pitbulls, rotties, staffies, all presented as the vicious types that must be used as an alarm. I think proper parenting, proper advertising may hopefully one day get people to stop using dogs for fighting. It really does make me come close to tears just thinking about it. Especially when those types of dogs actually ALL have lovely temperaments. Though pretty much all dogs do, it's all about how you raise them. A dog will only bite if you bait it.

Bah, sorry, I get onto rants about it myself far too much. My gods your dogs are absolutely adorable. And here is a picture of my rotty Rosie where you can see her tail more clearly because I can:

Megalodon

May 14, 2010
Rylot said:
Like you can't physically own a Pit anywhere in the UK?... Seriously?... That's really dumb. That isn't going to solve a single problem. Like you pointed out people that want tough guard/fighting dogs are just going to move onto different breeds and the problem remains. Sure ban the breed of dogs that are getting loose and attacking people while those who chained them up and treated them terribly for their entire lives and took a happy loving puppy and forced it into being vicious attack dog are free to get more dogs. That's a huge thing here in central Texas where a lot of people get Pits as an alarm system and specifically train them to be vicious, and now apartments and housing communities are banning them. So pits in shelters are bumped to the top of kill lists regardless of temperament and responsible owners have a way more difficult time finding places to live. I try and not be a misanthrope I just wish people didn't make it so hard sometimes.

...Sorry, I'll put the soap box away...
I'm afraid so, thanks to the waste of ink that is the Dangerous Dogs Act, three other breeds are also banned.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dangerous_Dogs_Act_1991

No need to apologise, that's one of may favourite soap boxes ;)

I've only ever seen a few Ridgebacks but they're very pretty dogs. I know about dogs being kinda dumb; my Boomer got out one night and started chasing a small herd of deer down the street. Finally after about a block one of the bucks turned around and charged at him. Boomer immediately came running to me and the deer never got closer than twenty feet. I just looked at him and said 'You're fifteen pounds of inflated ego and out dated hunting instincts versus a ninety pound of survival instincts and antlers. What the hell did you think was gonna happen?'
While Jack isn't the brightest, my cousin's pedigree lab is the champion for stupid. I've seen this dog get surprised by a rock that he'd already walked past a dozen times over the previous few days, but this time he notices it, does a massive double take then starts barking.

Padwolf said:
I wants your dog :)

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
Megalodon said:
I wants your dog :)
I wants her too :( Since I moved out I've been missing my pets more and more. Now I understand that I do not want to live without a dog or a cat. Show us pictures of your doggie if you can! :D

Another picture of Rosie and my other dog, Regan, just because they look happy and adorable and I miss them so much D:

Rylot

May 14, 2010
Padwolf said:
even bigger snip
Awwww, she's so cute, but man it's like one of those pictures of an old lady and a young lady that you can see one or the other but not both a the same time. It's just so weird seeing one with a tail. Couldn't agree more, it's all about how you raise a dog and treat it. The few Pitbulls we know from the park are all really awesome and gentle dogs. There are even a few that are smaller and visit the small dog side that my little shit has warmed up to (he seriously hates anything even slightly bigger than him).

Edit: Man Regan looks part lion!

Megalodon said:
snippty snip
Huh, never heard of a Japanese Tosa. *Clicks Link* "The Tosa (土佐?, also called the Tosa Inu) is a breed of dog of Japanese origin that is considered rare. It was originally bred in Tosa (present day Kōchi) as a fighting dog and still is today." *Closes Link* nope, not going through that.

Christ I hope they meant that it's still bred there today...

Anyway, that story is pretty funny. I've had some dogs I could see doing that. Boomer likes to bark at people, mostly men and sometimes he'll sniff a guy at the park and not bark only to came back twenty minutes later and realize 'holy shit you're a guy!' and bark like crazy. He's gotten better about barking but we've never seen a consistent pattern of when he'll bark other than it's usually at men.