Ranting Thread

Epyc Wynn

Disobey unethical rules.
Mar 1, 2012
Ranting about issues you find in your day to day life is something everyone must do once in a while in order to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Yahtzee has made a living out of this; so, as the example-setter for The Escapist he is I feel it is only fair we may also rant about what we wish to. This is the thread for such rants. Please keep in mind other people are reading your rants.

keep a mild bit of restraint on your swears

do not mention people (outside of famous people) by specific name or make it obvious who the person is

Over-sized text walls of genuine rage and frustration are exactly what I would expect.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Mild swearing? Da ****!! What is this, an early Netflix Original? Can I at least flash a nip for 2 secs in a non erotic shower scene?

That aside. Bad Customers who commit fraud. *sigh* You know, working in retail you get all sorts of customers. The good, the bad, the picky, the moody, the rude, the sweet, the high, the drunk, the adorable and many many more. The ones I dislike the most? Fraudsters and thieves.

But wait wait wait. I can't accuse them of that, even though they are seen on CCTV stealing a memory card, batteries and a Dyson. Nope, can't confront them. They do it every month and worse is that they return the stolen items with a fake receipt, fake email and demand a cash refund for said stolen items. They even get defensive if we ask to see said receipt in the first place. Once again, we cant accuse them, we can't confront them, we just have to act nice and polite and carry on as normal so trouble isn't caused.

I just do not understand this obsession of lying, stealing and thirst for money that these people didn't earn and aren't theirs. Is it a power thing? Not knowing or seeing the line between right and wrong? Heck, my other anger is I bust my balls and back off working long hours in the early dead morning each day, even a weekend, on minimum wage just so I can be mugged off by fraudsters, who don't just effect the store but my job too. **** them!! Greedy *****!!

Retail is not for me.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
This is less a rant and more a pet peeve, but inappropriate tones of voice for everyday conversations. OH MAN does that grind my gears and cheese my onions and this one very weird time, buttered my biscuits.
What do I mean? Well here's the situation. You're having a conversation with a person, about anything. Anything at all. And you bring up a point, any point at all. The sky is blue. Ferrus Manus is a dumb name. Cars are expensive to keep on the road. It's kinda' fucked up Squall and Quistis never ended up together. Batman has pants. You know, facts.
And the person agrees with you, but their tone of voice sounds like an argument. "The Alpha Legion are kewl." "YEAH they are!" and its sounds like playground level accusing. That 'Yes I can!' 'No you can't!' brand of argument, but the person is agreeing with you. And it always puts me off, because I never know if they misunderstood me, are being dicks, are way too into agreeing with me, whatever. It just kinda' torpedoes the natural flow of the conversation.

Also when someone apropos of nothing using a deep, serious tone of voice at the first meeting of the day, or to give good/mundane news. Like you GF walks into the room, 7am, "We need to talk." Not good, right? "Uhmm...okay?" "I want to go to Crazy Bowls and Wraps for lunch today."
...and that's it. No hint of irony, no grin, no smirk, no glint in the eye to say she's just messing with you. Just dead serious mundane shit, and then she leaves. And that was your totally messed up and inappropriate start to the day.

Bothers the fuck out of me.

I just know one of you is gonna agree with me, but make it seem like an argument. So consider your witty comeback officially disarmed.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Well, today, it felt like I wasn't allowed to enjoy a meal. I live with my family still, and my grandmother likes to make dinner, but today she had to go visit her mother, and wont be home until tomorrow. I can feed myself though, I am not that incapable. Usually I just throw in some "microwave pizza" (though I use an oven) but then I realized we were down to solely this one package that I guess kind of melted, then refroze weird, and then got freezer burned. I lamented, cause I was hungry, and tried to prepare it. Except it was all stuck together. I tried to thaw it a bit, but that just made it all soft and broke apart in my hands.

So I threw it out and instead reluctantly opted to have a few bowls of cereal....

Fucking milk went bad.

Epyc Wynn

Disobey unethical rules.
Mar 1, 2012
KnowYourMeme

So I use a memesite called KnowYourMeme regularly and I am a naturally adept memeticist who likes to research memes and create them. I have received countless punishments in the past wrongly by mods because they found me annoying, though 4 times out of 5 I didn't actually do anything. And it really pisses me off I have received the treatment I have from the moderators on KnowYourMeme but I left that bad past behind a couple weeks back in an attempt to be nicer in general. So I was complimenting tons of different core users on KnowYourMeme for their best qualities that appealed to me trying to make them feel good about themselves, and people were warming a bit up to me. There was a thread made in which people were openly hating on me without mods intervening but that's par for the course and I at least knew I was making a difference by complimenting users. But then, as often happens on here, I was punished yet again over a bureaucratic rule with no basis in right v wrong but simply a technicality.

There are image galleries on KnowYourMeme and I like to post in said galleries frequently and I made a series of SpongeBob SquarePants memes that referenced the site itself which I posted in the spongebob image galleries. Well, I'd been warned in the past that if I post images that reference the site I need to post them in the KnowYourMeme gallery and I was punished the first time I did that for a week as was I punished with a 9-day suspension from the site for this meta posting. I contacted the admin as at this point I have actual depression and have been feeling awful for a few days as a direct result of this treatment I have repeatedly dealt with on the site. I contacted the administrator conveying how this rule that I should be suspended for 9 days was wrong and causing me direct depression especially after the improper use of punishments that've been done to me in the past, only to receive nothing but silence from him for the past few days and I know he had to have known I sent a message as he has been active the site for the past few days. In other words I am continuing to deal with being attacked directly by moderators on KYM over technicalities with cartoonish punishments that keep me from doing what I enjoy doing and the admins are unwilling to help. I now have depression which has not gone away for a few days now and no means of improving the situation and have been crying and walking around lacking any energy for the past few days due to this site treatment unable to enjoy communicating with anyone not even family because of this.

The site has made a habit of ridiculing me no matter how hard I try to be nice to them and none of the mods ever try to stand up for me even when they know I don't deserve what's happening. Just googling my user name pulls up countless threads mocking me and me carefully explaining the issues I have only to receive further hate and even me being nice as of the past couple weeks hasn't helped at all. I can't wyn no matter what I do it seems.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
I'm gonna have a fuckin' moan. I'm not much of a tv-watcher, at this point I really don't know why I pay for digital TV, but there you have it. So, recently I watch TV on the online player while eating dinner. It's not really important which player it is, but it's got ads on it and one of the ads is one of those scare-tactic ads for the fuckin' coastguard or some shit. And the way they have decided to remind people to stay safe and out of water is to show someone drowning in first person while their family screams and sobs in front of them.

As someone who survived drowning what the actual FUCK. That is not going to help anyone, it's just horrific to watch and it makes someone like me feel like I can't breathe. I came to your online tv player to watch dumbass comedy shows not to be reminded of the time I almost died. Sort shit out.

[deep exhale]

I'm fine. I'm good. Just. Yuck.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Phasmal said:
I'm gonna have a fuckin' moan. I'm not much of a tv-watcher, at this point I really don't know why I pay for digital TV, but there you have it. So, recently I watch TV on the online player while eating dinner. It's not really important which player it is, but it's got ads on it and one of the ads is one of those scare-tactic ads for the fuckin' coastguard or some shit. And the way they have decided to remind people to stay safe and out of water is to show someone drowning in first person while their family screams and sobs in front of them.

As someone who survived drowning what the actual FUCK. That is not going to help anyone, it's just horrific to watch and it makes someone like me feel like I can't breathe. I came to your online tv player to watch dumbass comedy shows not to be reminded of the time I almost died. Sort shit out.

[deep exhale]

I'm fine. I'm good. Just. Yuck.
Fucking horrifying public information films are all Britain has left to be proud of.

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
When every website has that one infallible crowd darling who simply can never ever be wrong.

This place has Yahtzee, Giant Bomb has Jeff Gerstmann, Roosterteeth has... well, everyone there is supposedly an all-knowing God. It's kinda annoying when these folks present an opinion as fact and anyone in their respective communities who dares say otherwise is immediately shot down. Kinda ruins any type of discussion.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
...Gay Sulu. When the original actor and the guy who you're doing it as a 'homage' to says himself that he's uncomfortable with making an established character gay instead of making a new one, you've done fucked up. The most annoying part is the defense of the move, being Pegg (which is REALLY disappointing to me, I LIKE Pegg) saying 'We're all LGBT somewhere' (referring to multiverse theory) which... really misses the point. Shit, by Multiverse theory we've all got a counterpart in the Robot Gorilla Dimension, it's still a ham-fisted move to make a character gay after two movies DESPITE the protests of Takei himself.

Also, the worst part is now I'm going to have to listen to FAAAAAAAR too many people talk about how amazing and awesome this is and how if you don't like it you're homophobic and it's just... fuckin', god dammit. Yes, great, a gay character in a mainstream movie, fantastic, it's still a shitty go at it given they're just slapping homosexuality on him like a fresh coat of paint instead of putting some thought into it and making a new character (heh, 'putting thought' into the new Star Trek. I need to stop having such high hopes for the impossible), that again, the dude they're paying homage to himself disagrees with.

Ah well, not the first time I'm going to be told by straight people what to think about a gay character written by straight people, certainly not the last.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Epyc Wyn said:
snip killed dumbledore
Yah, I got a warning for a spongebob comparison chart that referenced KYM as a site that ever existed. It's the one that also doubles as a loss edit. Seems that the mods don't really follow the letter of the rules, just enforcing the kind of posts and POV they like. Half of my posts meanwhile are shitposts, either referencing dontroversy, posting pony reactions on images posted by people who hate ponies, or blatant upvote farming and I've gotten 1 warning and 1 suspension (which was a 0 day joke referencing an image about an april fool's day joke).

Anyway, OT:
Slow traffic right. It's a pretty universal constant in the US. Yet on 4 lane roads people decide to just drift left and ignore the stack of 20 cars suddenly behind them. Then when you try to pass them, they cut you off because they need to make their turn right now. So why were they in the left lane to begin with?

Also, why the hell (the damn hell, bastard) to I have to choose between shady dealing auction sites and $90 a season of older animation. Where's the streaming, Nickelodeon and Bandai in particular. I also like my best friend, but he's not getting Gundam Wing for his birthday at $120.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Wrex Brogan said:
Also, the worst part is now I'm going to have to listen to FAAAAAAAR too many people talk about how amazing and awesome this is and how if you don't like it you're homophobic and it's just... fuckin', god dammit. Yes, great, a gay character in a mainstream movie, fantastic, it's still a shitty go at it given they're just slapping homosexuality on him like a fresh coat of paint instead of putting some thought into it and making a new character (heh, 'putting thought' into the new Star Trek. I need to stop having such high hopes for the impossible), that again, the dude they're paying homage to himself disagrees with.
Eh, aren't they completely rewriting everyone and everything about NewTrek, though? Not saying this is necessarily a good move, but it sorta fades into the background a bit.
Parasondox said:
Mild swearing? Da ****!! What is this, an early Netflix Original? Can I at least flash a nip for 2 secs in a non erotic shower scene?

That aside. Bad Customers who commit fraud. *sigh* You know, working in retail you get all sorts of customers. The good, the bad, the picky, the moody, the rude, the sweet, the high, the drunk, the adorable and many many more. The ones I dislike the most? Fraudsters and thieves.

But wait wait wait. I can't accuse them of that, even though they are seen on CCTV stealing a memory card, batteries and a Dyson. Nope, can't confront them. They do it every month and worse is that they return the stolen items with a fake receipt, fake email and demand a cash refund for said stolen items. They even get defensive if we ask to see said receipt in the first place. Once again, we cant accuse them, we can't confront them, we just have to act nice and polite and carry on as normal so trouble isn't caused.

I just do not understand this obsession of lying, stealing and thirst for money that these people didn't earn and aren't theirs. Is it a power thing? Not knowing or seeing the line between right and wrong? Heck, my other anger is I bust my balls and back off working long hours in the early dead morning each day, even a weekend, on minimum wage just so I can be mugged off by fraudsters, who don't just effect the store but my job too. **** them!! Greedy *****!!

Retail is not for me.
I used to do volunteer stuff for the Salvation Army, people would nick stuff from them all the time. Someone would nick the remote controls from 2nd hand TVs for some reason.

At my current job, I deal with people calling to complain that they've been overcharged by a dollar or two. And much of the time it's just that they are wanting something to rant about and won't be told they are wrong.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Wrex Brogan said:
...Gay Sulu. When the original actor and the guy who you're doing it as a 'homage' to says himself that he's uncomfortable with making an established character gay instead of making a new one, you've done fucked up. The most annoying part is the defense of the move, being Pegg (which is REALLY disappointing to me, I LIKE Pegg) saying 'We're all LGBT somewhere' (referring to multiverse theory) which... really misses the point. Shit, by Multiverse theory we've all got a counterpart in the Robot Gorilla Dimension, it's still a ham-fisted move to make a character gay after two movies DESPITE the protests of Takei himself.

Ah well, not the first time I'm going to be told by straight people what to think about a gay character written by straight people, certainly not the last.
Sorry I'm not up to speed on this but, let me see if I have this right. The new Sulu in the JJ Abrams Trek-verse, is going to be officially established as gay in the upcoming movie? How is this different from the original? I mean, did they ever establish Sulu's orientation one way or the other in the original series? I'm guessing they didn't, given the time period, but if they never said one way or the other in the original work, then what does it matter?

OT:

People who are rude to customer service people. You call into a call center for help, and cuss out the person on the phone as if they had anything to do with your problem. They aren't even in the same state as you, and are at the lowest rung of the corporation. They are paid to try and help you, shitting down their throats solves nothing. It's like yelling at the person at the Burger King register, because you are mad at what Corporate level Burger King is doing. The person at the register has no say in what Corporate does, they just want to know if you want to supersize your order. Plus, it's super stupid to antagonize those people. They have all of your personal information at their fingertips. They know your name, your address, your social, your spouses name, the names of your children (cell phone accounts list every phone by the user), your credit card information, your purchasing history. ALL THAT SHIT IS AT THEIR DISPOSAL. And yeah, I have seen people take vengeance by deliberately messing with someone's account. Bill massive charges to the account, sign them up for new equipment that locks them into long contracts, and charges them several hundred dollars, go into the tech support system and shut off their SIM cards in ways that basically kill the card entirely, forcing the client to have to get a new one. All kinds of shit. Yes, these people were basically quitting when they did it, as a parting "fuck you" to some customer, but that customer might be you, on that day. You could be the straw that breaks the proverbial camel's back, and you might end up with a financial mess that you have to get cleaned up.

It's just, not worth it.

Also, acting the same way to people who prep your food. Seriously people, NOTHING GOOD can come from pissing off the person who is in the back, messing around with the stuff you are about to ingest. Just, be nice, it's not that hard, and it will frequently make things better for you.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Happyninja42 said:
Wrex Brogan said:

Sorry I'm not up to speed on this but, let me see if I have this right. The new Sulu in the JJ Abrams Trek-verse, is going to be officially established as gay in the upcoming movie? How is this different from the original? I mean, did they ever establish Sulu's orientation one way or the other in the original series? I'm guessing they didn't, given the time period, but if they never said one way or the other in the original work, then what does it matter?
If I recall correctly there was a throwaway line in Generations referencing his wife and daughter, anyways I agree that it's not a big deal all the same. Still though, if you're attempting to honor someone and they tell you "Uh....I'm not totally okay with this" and then you go ahead and do it anyway?

In bird culture, this is considered a dick move.

God'sFist

May 8, 2012
People who talk about millennials as if they're stupid, entitled, or lazy. Look I get it their are stupid entitled lazy shits in this generation but that's true for every generation. It gets old when people go "Oh those stupid millennials just don't want to work." "stupid millennials don't know how to vote" You know what those people who talk down to them are pieces of shit.

P.S. Also screw those people who over generalize any group whatsoever.

OT: We've always known Sulu was gay I mean just look at this
that longing gaze for that Englishman's buttock is right their for everyone to see.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
Thaluikhain said:
Wrex Brogan said:
Eh, aren't they completely rewriting everyone and everything about NewTrek, though? Not saying this is necessarily a good move, but it sorta fades into the background a bit.
Happyninja42 said:
...ok, this is a rant thread, but I'll explain in greater detail/context:

I'm gay. I am of the opinion that if they truly, sincerely wanted him to be gay (he was established as straight in the original series, and Takei refers to him as such), then they would've done it in the first film. Instead, they're making a big song and dance of it for the third film, taking an already-established character and making him gay despite the wishes of the man they're doing it for in the first place and instead of doing what that man advised which was... apply a little imagination and create an interesting original gay character instead. So, the fact that it's coming in on the third film, they're ignoring what Takei is saying and that they didn't bother making an original character to do so... I'm not buying it as anything less than some shallow pandering, not something done with good will or noble intentions. A straight (heh) 'fuck you' to gay people because again, a gay man told them he wasn't ok with it and they still did it, patting themselves on the back all the while.

Regardless of quality, original canon, alternative universe mumbo-jumbo... it's a bunch of straight guys telling a gay guy that 'no, we're keeping it despite you saying you're not ok with it'. That is something that, quite frankly, can Fuck Right Off. All the reasoning, all the defense, it's just the same soggy bullshit from people who like the sound of their own voice more than the voice of the people they're representing. Simon Pegg - and again, it's enormously disappointing to hear him say these things - said he wouldn't make an original gay character since it'd be 'tokenism', which is such a sack of crap. If a character is token, it's because you didn't give enough of a fuck writing them, not because they're the only gay character on board, so I'm not buying that for a minute.

As to 'why it matters' - look, I said in my first post that I've had 'straight people explain a gay character written by straight people' to me. That's literally happened to me five fucking times today, where straight people I know have come to me all excited about Gay Sulu and then getting annoyed because I'm not all 'YAY I LOVE HIM BECAUSE I TOO AM A HOMOSEXUAL'. If this was an original character - hell, if they weren't even making a big announcement about it and it was just 'there' in the movie - I'd be waaay more positive about it. But this? As said, it's just a coat of paint slapped over something old with someone trying to sell me that it's new. I don't want that. I want what Takei wants - Original gay characters. Thoughtful gay characters. Interesting gay characters. Not a repackaged Sulu with the 'Approved by Takei!' hastily scratched off.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Wrex Brogan said:
As I said in my post, if it wasn't established in the original series, then why would it matter. Note the if/then clause there please. I never watched much of the original series, but if they established him as straight, well personally I still don't care. But that's me. I have no personal vested interest in most characters, and never really care if they make significant changes to their setup for one reason or another. To me, and yes I am a straight guy, so ignore my opinion on the subject if you wish, it's no different than making Spiderman a black kid, or Iron Man a black girl, or maybe making Captain America gay like some people want. I personally don't care, change them how you want, just tell me a good story and I don't really care how they change out a character. But that's just me. I can understand how some people would get annoyed at the changes, even though I don't share them.

If you wish to continue, feel free to PM me about it, I don't care to clutter up this thread any further with an off topic.

visiblenoise

Jul 2, 2014
I hate unnecessary noises. This spans from saying obvious, trivial, stupid things to going "ohhhh" when you're sitting at your work desk working on something that nobody else is involved with. Breathing too loudly also counts, so hard. I wish I had my own office.

Epyc Wynn

Disobey unethical rules.
Mar 1, 2012
I hate ranting threads why do people feel the need to rant about things it's so rude like oh my god why can't we all just get along and #coexist you guys are so anit-PC and Jesus Christ read the Bible once in a while maybe it'll give you all a better moral compass than getting angry on the internet and The Escapist is so awful and just look at these video games which cause violence what's wrong with you Grand Theft Auto is so inappropriate any child who even looks at that game too long deserves a spanking and a sermon on good behavior plus what's the deal with people hating on Fox News it's a legitimate news source just because they have a little bit more emotion doesn't mean they're suddenly bad and biased some of you liberals need to have more energy it's no wonder Donald Trump is winning and that one old guy Bernie lost and plus that satanist Hillary is so awful it really is true that the Republican Party is the only party you can join if you really believe in God seriously we need more God-fearing folks in this country that will submit to the laws and for the record, just for the record what is up with all these trolls online posting porn and 4chan posts like seriously keep it in your pants nobody should ever look at porn that is a sin of lust and can get you sent straight to Hell along with all these homosexuals and democrats I keep hearing about and furthermore 4chan just looks so bad not even Hitler would want to go there just god why can't people agree with my opinions I'm a super accepting person who cares about everyone and if I don't like what you think it's probably because you're just lying or flat out saying stupid shit because I guarantee no joke I'm right 99% of the time folks and I'm not being egotistic when I say that so just take me seriously. #thisisallsatireihateallofthethingsijustsaid