Rap

CaptQuakers

Feb 14, 2011
I am a rap fan and I have often wondered why people seem to have such distaste towards rap music.Is it because of the mainstream rappers who always talk about bitches and money or the fact they have never properly listened to it ? Or is it something I am missing ?

This is just for my own curiosity more than anything else

smearyllama

May 9, 2010
I actually like the rapping about bitches and money if it's done right. Kanye West, for example, is just insane enough and a good enough rapper that it doesn't really matter what he sings about- it just works.
Case in point. He's just telling it how it is in his own bizarre way. Bonus points for AKIRA references in the video.

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
Because I have never heard a serious rap song that is as good as rap parodies. Example:

If somebody can show me a serious song that is as awesome as that, I might reconsider my position.

CaptQuakers

Feb 14, 2011
ohnoitsabear said:
Because I have never heard a serious rap song that is as good as rap parodies. Example:

[

If somebody can show me a serious song that is as awesome as that, I might reconsider my position.
I love that song.

I guess my favorite song is
but it comes down to opinions.

Note: He says some very naughty words :S

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
Culture bias does a lot of it, at least for me. The culture around rap, even the non-"bitches and money and murder" parts, just does not appeal to me. Moving it away from that culture, and I tend to like it more. For example, I find Weird Al's White and Nerdy fun to listen to, but I cannot stand the original. I can relate to Weird Al's version. The general rap culture makes no more sense to me now than it did when I was first exposed to it when a couple of pre-teens were wearing all of their clothes backward.

CaptQuakers

Feb 14, 2011
Aris Khandr said:
Culture bias does a lot of it, at least for me. The culture around rap, even the non-"bitches and money and murder" parts, just does not appeal to me. Moving it away from that culture, and I tend to like it more. For example, I find Weird Al's White and Nerdy fun to listen to, but I cannot stand the original. I can relate to Weird Al's version. The general rap culture makes no more sense to me now than it did when I was first exposed to it when a couple of pre-teens were wearing all of their clothes backward.
What about rap that tends to focus on the more important issues ? Like the economy and the middle east ?

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
I like Rap every once in a while I just don't know many good rappers to be honest. I have always found rap to be really calming which I like in a lot of bands or singers. I have always been a fan of this song though I love how it is all about treating others right because everyone gets whats coming to them.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
It's called "complaining about music you don't listen to". Basically, people take a very small sample, such as:

<spoiler=WHY GOD, WHY><youtube=T6j4f8cHBIM>For the record, "Stupid Hoe" becomes pretty hilarious if you listen to it under the impression that Nicki's had a terrible day gardening.

<youtube=herLMUn2-U0>

Or, GOD FORBID,

<youtube=sdbyG2MrBHk>

...and deciding that all rap is terrible awfulness that must be purged.

They miss stuff like this, though:

<youtube=FJt7gNi3Nr4>

<youtube=P4Uv_4jGgAM>

<youtube=i3Jv9fNPjgk>

(Deadly serious about that last one, by the way... it's hard to find a higher concentration of stringed insults, plus the rhythm is tight. I'm not sure why people DON'T like it.)

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Not a massive fan of most of the mainstream stuff, but you can find some good stuff if you search around.

Not for everyone of course, but I like it.

Also, not sure if it counts as rap but it's marvelous either way (very NSFW):

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
OP, it's Sturgeon's Law more than anything else. Most of the popular rap is shit, so they assume that most is shit.

bigwon

Jan 29, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
Not enough gentleman rap in this thread...

I like rap when it's intelligent, we need more rap like this.
many thanks good sir! that just made my night!

But what I contribute most of it to is the combination of a repetitive nature, and the emphasis that the lyrics, and percussion have opposed to melody.

Then when you look at the content (when it's trying to be serious), and it's just either written poorly or in such a way that it's not really engaging on an introspective level. Of course this is due to the nature of hiphop, it's why most of the artists refer to them selves as 'emcee's' as opposed to just 'rappers'.

I love it though! there's really an art to rapping/emceeing that isn't shown in the contemporary artists as well as those bazillion sound cloud accounts. It just doesn't capture the energy/enthusiasm of the older folks.

and here's my references:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nZhGxZU6m4 (listen to the flow, and the cadence in voice)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4o8TeqKhgY (the feeling, emotion)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2NETSIzFr8 (some immortal technique, i might not agree in the
message entirely but I definately find myself in
right mood for this...probably too often..)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoKAFdXX4VQ (this is just amp, another one that gets the mood
right)

I find there's rappers that take themselves too seriously, and then there's those that just let loose the emotion and make something great!

MysticToast

Jul 28, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Not enough gentleman rap in this thread...

I like rap when it's intelligent, we need more rap like this.
This is literally the only rap I can listen to. Hilarious and more importantly, clever.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Just because I don't like something, doesn't necessarily mean I think it's all bad. I don't care for Jazz or Blues but I'd never dare criticize them. Case in point I'm sure there's "good" rap music, I just don't care for it as a general style of music.

TheTim

Jan 23, 2010
The rapper that stands out from the rest of the crowd for me is Hopsin, meaningful lyrics mixed with an anti drug attitude and a razor sharp delivery make him my favorite band/artist of any Genre

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
CaptQuakers said:
I am a rap fan and I have often wondered why people seem to have such distaste towards rap music.Is it because of the mainstream rappers who always talk about bitches and money or the fact they have never properly listened to it ? Or is it something I am missing ?

This is just for my own curiosity more than anything else
Id say thats pretty muvh the main reason..subject matter

to which I have the solution

thank god for Hopsin...

BathorysGraveland

Dec 7, 2011
I'm a fan of the older 80's/90's gangster rap. N.W.A (and the members' solo stuff), Snoop Dogg's first record (which is probably my favourite), Public Enemy, 2Pac, and shit like that. It's pretty fun stuff. No surprises I guess. I still haven't really listened to Biggie Smalls though. Need to remedy that.

StylinBones

Mar 3, 2012
smearyllama said:
I agree with your point. 50 Cent, Jay-Z, Game are the same way for me. Just good beats and voices. Enjoyable to listen to no matter how stupid the lyrics are.

OT: The rap I don't like are freestyles, which are all stupid, and shittily produced rap that has dudes yelling about mixtapes and God etc.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010

Not a huge fan of rap or hip-hop. I do have a special place in my heart for Cypress Hill though for some odd reason. Their constant talk of weed should annoy me but I enjoy them. Also obligatory Eminem because he's pretty awesome in his own right.

This is my favorite hip-hop song at the moment.