Rap

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
smearyllama said:
I actually like the rapping about bitches and money if it's done right. Kanye West, for example, is just insane enough and a good enough rapper that it doesn't really matter what he sings about- it just works.
Case in point. He's just telling it how it is in his own bizarre way. Bonus points for AKIRA references in the video.
Not a fan of the dudes personality but Kanye is a good at what he does for sure. This song in particular though upsets me because there are some people who think Daft Punk stole this from him... makes me facepalm so hard.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
StylinBones said:
OT: The rap I don't like are freestyles, which are all stupid, and shittily produced rap that has dudes yelling about mixtapes and God etc.

Awe so you wouldn't be a fan of the epicness that is this freestyle?

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
I see a few white rappers... How come no one's mentioned the original? Have you no respect?
OT: I'd wager the thing that turns most people off about rap was that its public image was largely taken over by gangster rap subgenre and promotion of the "thuggish" lifestyle.

But, listening to groups that feature rap (such as Gorillaz or Linkin Park) made me reevaluate my views on rap in general, just like Johnny Cash got me to reevaluate my view of country, I've come to the conclusion that the two genres aren't complete crap. It's just the vast majority of work in the respective genres I have heard has been mostly crap.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
I love it. Do note, that hip-hop is rap without the lies and embellishments. There's a big difference. I like this stuff:

Hip-hop. It's Ford Prefect, people!

Rap. I listen to rap, but 2 to 1 I like it when it's more insightful and intellectually stimulating. The poetry from the downtrodden on the streets that got the ball rolling.

Gottesstrafe

Oct 23, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Not enough gentleman rap in this thread...

I like rap when it's intelligent, we need more rap like this.
I wasn't raised in a country manor with a staff of 20 or more live-in servants and sent to boarding school for the rest of my formative years NOT to have better taste than that, my dear boy. Professor Elemental was it? One of those "working" fellows from that "middle class" I've heard so much about, I'd wager. Well, whatever you "tradesmen" hearken to during your "scheduled breaks" is certainly none of my affair. Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be partaking of the melodious witticisms of Mr. B the Gentleman Rhymer with the rest of the Chap hop enthusiasts, thank you very much. Good day to you, sir.

Edit: And when is someone going to make a song called "Drat the Constabulary" or "Reexamine your person before you irreparably damage your standing"?

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Vault101 said:
CaptQuakers said:
I am a rap fan and I have often wondered why people seem to have such distaste towards rap music.Is it because of the mainstream rappers who always talk about bitches and money or the fact they have never properly listened to it ? Or is it something I am missing ?

This is just for my own curiosity more than anything else
Id say thats pretty muvh the main reason..subject matter

to which I have the solution

thank god for Hopsin...
I like 4 better. :p

OT: I think it might have something to do with the subject matter of many popular rap artists (it certainly turns me off to a number of them). I think it also might have something to do with people genuinely not liking the sound of the music. :p

SirDeadly

Feb 22, 2009
The only time I don't mind rap is when it is used very sparingly, the same goes for screaming. I just can't stand rap when it's the only thing used.

Syzygy23

Sep 20, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Not enough gentleman rap in this thread...

I like rap when it's intelligent, we need more rap like this.
hey, wait a minute... I know that guy from those videos... I think I met him at a con once. I had no idea he did rap! And it's amazing and hilarious at the same time!

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Well, we have a vast collection of hip-hop music on vinyl that's mostly delivered in rap. Some of it is streetwise gangsta material, on the other end is splendidly artsy stuff that puts many a jazz combo to shame. The newest bit there is roughly a decade old, as I find most of the new material to be severely lacking. I can enjoy listening to everything from Gravediggaz, Lakim Shabazz, Professor X, Brand Nubian to Erik B. & Rakim, and while I quite often do not agree to any and all potential political payload, I find a lot of records quite important. I respect the art if it's meant to be and is actually delivered as an art form, as in, somebody makes some sort of effort and has got something to say.

'Fiddy' and a lot of other, ahem, artists clearly think otherwise. I think they are the ones currently selling canned shit, and they are horribly successful at it.

Certain albums are just downright timeless, be they loaded with perfect samples ('citations' of sorts from funk/soul/jazz/x albums/artists), awesome style, precision rhyming, examples of wicked capable minds controlling wicked fast mouths or something that mixes not only samples and literate minds, but serious (social) issues with an unexpected and maybe unwarranted aloofness that creates a fun entertainment bit that might crawl under your skin before you know it or a hefty depressing report from the homefront that still manages to make you feel happy and some hope for mankind in general.

None of the currently sold artists in the 'mainstream' and public awareness manage to tickle my fancy, I find an easy 90% of them abhorrent creatures and the rest I hate and despise by default. It's all crap. Seeing people still buy that crap, I find it shockingly easy to fall for brief stints of misanthropy, making me read Nietzsche and Marx and Hitler and Gandhi and Qaddafi's little Green Book of Nonsense until I manage to snap out of it.

It's an absolute shame what happened to the genre. There are exceptions, but the omnipresent top tier animals on the market are an absolute waste of everything that truly deserve any and all negativity coming their way.

Setrus

Oct 17, 2011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTTC7JzF77s&feature=relmfu

One of the few good rap songs I've heard, to be honest, then again, my interest in music (and seeking it out) is minimal.

JdaS

Oct 16, 2009
Oh good. It's this thread again.

I personally maintain that rap can be very enjoyable. It can be soulful, politically charged or just funk as hell with awesome, hard-hitting lyrics that are not about fucking bitches and slinging crack rocks.

Stuff like (but not restricted to):

-Nujabes
-The Coup
-Gang Starr
-Substantial
-The Mad Conductor (Special mention to this guy. My absolute favorite.)
-Shing02
-Common (The older stuff)

Anyway, a lot of cool stuff. There's all kinds of gems under that thick layer of bastardized commercial shit the big labels keep shoving down kids' throats. Ironically that shit is what I listened to not too long ago. That's why I can't be bothered to dig too deep into it anymore.

Also. Someone mentions Death Grips, I'm busting out the proverbial "shotty". Just saying.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
I don't take well to rap mainly because it's very repetitive and the lyrics are rarely anything worth noticing. This is, of course, based on my experience with the genre. I could very well be missing some hidden cache of rap gold.

The only rapper I like is Watsky. Kid's a real wordsmith.

Lunar Shadow

Dec 9, 2008
Happen to be a fan of MF Doom

and have a soft spot for MC Chris cause it he is not even remotely serious

CaptQuakers

Feb 14, 2011
Anyone who likes Hopsin has to check these 2 tunes out. They are utterly insane but brilliant at the same time
BreakfastMan said:
Vault101 said:
CaptQuakers said:
I am a rap fan and I have often wondered why people seem to have such distaste towards rap music.Is it because of the mainstream rappers who always talk about bitches and money or the fact they have never properly listened to it ? Or is it something I am missing ?

This is just for my own curiosity more than anything else
Id say thats pretty muvh the main reason..subject matter

to which I have the solution

thank god for Hopsin...
I like 4 better. :p

OT: I think it might have something to do with the subject matter of many popular rap artists (it certainly turns me off to a number of them). I think it also might have something to do with people genuinely not liking the sound of the music. :p
If you like Hops ill mind collections (Which are flipping amazing) check these out. If you haven't heard these they are typical Hops I.e utterly insane and completely brilliant

Benni88

Oct 13, 2011
I'm a big Hip-Hop fan (I say Hip Hop because I feel that the word encompasses producers and lyricists better than rap ^^).

I'm mainly into the 90's US scene and the UK Hip Hop industry, but I'm into all types really.

Here's a fine example of the producer, Pete Rock's work with method man:

and also an example of the UK movement by Braintax:

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
I don't think I actually like rap (though I do love some of the late 90s early 2000s, In Da Club, Act a Fool, etc) I like Outkast: Ms Jackson and Hey Yeah, Eminem: Slim Shady and Lose Yourself, Nelly: Ride with Me, Three 6 Mafia: Stay Fly, Link Parks early works, etc...

I have no idea what that is (I plead ignorant white sub-urban boy) but I like it.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Don't know who in the Escapist, but someone showed me this, and I still love this song.

It's a little different [for me at least] and I like that.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Why no love for the Coup? sorry I dunno fancy box thing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-v-rIWUAQuI&feature=relmfu

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
It's the mainstream stuff. It's a terrible representative of good rap. Personally, I like the more political stuff. Protest music.

xplosive59

Jul 20, 2009
I feel bad for people who do not like Hip-Hop as this year has been great for it!

And my personal favourite of the year...