Rated E games with Depth

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
This game has more deep meaning behind it than ANYONE can give credit for. And its 30 hours.

Suicide is considered in this game, not by the player but by the character. Holy Hell is that dark.

gamerguy20097

Jun 14, 2011
Majoras Mask..... Oh wait I forgot: Nintendo is the devil, ruining video games with modest hardware and their 3 and only 3 non threatening franchises according to the majority of the escapist community. Silly me how could I forget.

[REDACTED]

Apr 30, 2012
gamerguy20097 said:
Majoras Mask..... Oh wait I forgot: Nintendo is the devil, ruining video games with modest hardware and their 3 and only 3 non threatening franchises according to the majority of the escapist community. Silly me how could I forget.
Are you getting that impression based on a few jokes that Yahtzee made?
If so, read the damn thread. There are plenty of people here who agree with you and none of them got flamed.

Virucyde

Nov 29, 2011
Pikmin 1 and 2 (HIGHLY RECOMMEND)
Donkey Kong 64
Portal 1 and 2
Banjo Kazooie
Harvest Moon
Animal Crossing
Basically, I'd look to Nintendo for most of your help on this one.

Prime_Hunter_H01

Dec 20, 2011
Persona for PS1 is rated KA, some how. Like the Ace Combat 4 example I have no idea how it was rated KA but it is and is deep in story and mechanics. If some don't know, KA was replaced by E, and by that Super Metroid was also KA and is deep.

darthmj94

Jan 19, 2010
I would say, Jak and daxter on the PS2 or sly cooper, those are the first things that came to mind.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
I like how he said 'PC' and people are giving suggestions for all kinds of other systems...

Anywho look up some of the lucasarts adventure games from back when most of them are pretty fun and E rated.

AT God

Dec 24, 2008
Having just finished Spec Ops: The Line, I have to mention a game that has a similarly gripping story.

Second Sight is available on steam and has one of the deepest stories in any game I have ever played, it is by far the deepest for its rating, although it is rated T, and a hard T at that, some blood/language/horror.

I wont mention the story, don't read anything about the story, even if you don't plan on getting the game, you might find it for free somehow and will regret spoiling it.

The main problem with the game is that it wasn't ported well to the PC, the controls are setup for a gamepad and the video options are limited. However, it is playable on Windows 7 and I got used to it rather quickly. The game is on PS2 also but it would probably be more expensive than just buying it off steam.

The only game I can really think of that meets your rules is Psychonauts, its not super profound but it is deep.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I agree with most of the suggestions given here, but especially Viva Pinata (and the sequel Trouble In Paradise)

I spent a ridiculous amount of time with both those games.

DarkishFriend

Sep 19, 2011
Like others have said, Viva Pinata. It has an incredibly well fleshed out story that in reality is incredibly depressing.

DeeWiz

Aug 25, 2010
Go old school, anything by lucasarts (especially their adventure games), Just stop once you get to XBox era. The Dig, Grim Fandango, Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle, Sam and Max are all classics for a reason. Also you really didn't say what hardware for the PC, I have to agree with Portal but if you can't play it...

If only one game Grim Fandango, it is really, really deep telling a story of love, loss, and redemption over the course of years!

TMAce

Sep 5, 2011
ace_of_something said:
I like how he said 'PC' and people are giving suggestions for all kinds of other systems...
I preferred the part where you didn't read the entire topic/ edited OP where he said all kinds of other systems. The tension building up during the first act really paid off then.

OT: I'd recommend some of the core Nintendo games, from what little I've played of them. Some people can easily have fun with Pokemon's stories in the newish games (not myself personally but to each their own). Unfortunately, most things rated E are probably going to be children's games and thus might not satisfy your deep story related needs. I did like that someone said Spore... you can sort of make your own story up with that if you have the imagination.

DaMullet

Nov 28, 2009
Viva Piñata, Nintendo, and Sonic seem to be the recurring suggestions. Viva Piñata, Sonic adventure might be a good place to start.

I guess I should explain a bit better as to why I want an E rating. I'm looking to play this game infront of my young son so it cannot have guns or humans as an enemy.

On a side note, I wonder why there isn't a Toy Story or Lion King style video game. Obviously Disney thinks that kids can handle depth and they're getting rich off of it. So... where is the video game equivalent to Toy Story 3?

Cat Cloud

Aug 12, 2010
EHKOS said:
Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg always looked fun, never played it though. Unfortunately, most in-depth E rated games that I know of are for the PS1.
Ahh Billy Hatcher. I personally like this game, although the controls leave much to be desired. It isn't for everyone: I like making my friends who take themselves to seriously play it. They refuse to admit they like it, but they ask about playing every once in a while. The multiplayer is actually kind of the best part of the game.

As for other rated E games:
Katamari
Most games from Japan that don't take themselves too seriously
Pretty much every game from Nintendo
Psychonauts
Kingdom Hearts games
Okami

Are you looking for a specific genre? Because JRPG's and quite a few action-adventure type games (sonic adventure, Okami, Psychonauts, KH maybe) are generally rated E.