Rayman Creator Doesn't Like Mario

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
How interesting, he shares my exact sentiments about Mario. I also really like pretty much all of the Goemon games. I guess this explains why I like almost all of the games he's made so much.

I really, really wish that new Rayman game and the 3DS port of Rayman 2 (still my favorite 3D platformer) would get Japanese releases so that I could actually buy them.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
BX3 said:
Somewhere Miyamoto is cutting himself.

Still, it's not like he doesn't have a point. Mario has f--k all in the way of narrative. I mean, yeah yeah, I know, gameplay > plot, but for those that would like some tasty miracle whip on their turkey sandwich that is gaming, the original Mario's can be pretty dry. As for his complaints on the games physics and not being able to punch people, I don't get why those are downsides, but such is life.
Problem is, you still need to have good gameplay, otherwise people aren't going to want to suffer through your game for plot. Like Beyond Good And Evil... I tried the demo on XBLA, and the controls were so bad that I couldn't even finish that. First of all, the camera left and right controls are reversed and there's no way to change them back to normal. The button mapping makes no sense either. It reminded me of some of those crappy, clunky early 3D games you would see on the PS1. Good for him if he puts mayo on his turkey sandwiches before serving them, but since he used spoiled meat, there's no way in hell I'm eating it. I'll take the dry sandwich with tasty, fresh meat any day.

skylog said:
...Doesn't like the gliding and inertia. That explains why the jumping in the first Rayman game felt like you were wearing a pair of lead shoes. I mean, I love the Rayman series, but I can't say I've ever fallen through a platform I've jumped towards in a Mario game.

Rayman 2 was awesome, though, so, it's all gravy.
Yeah, I have to pretty much agree with everything you just said. The only really fun part of the first Rayman for me was the button that makes you stick your tongue out at everyone. Had a few laughs from it, then after a few levels of actually playing the game, I put it down.

But yeah, Rayman 2 was awesome.

emechbjm

Jun 8, 2010
Surprise - a platforming game developer doesn't like a competing popular platforming game. SHOCK! Still, at least he articulated why he doesn't like it (even if its only to emphaise what his game does differently)

As for not delivering BG&E 2 based on Rayman sales - umm apples and oranges. I won't pay $70au for a gaming experience (2d platfroming game) I can get for $20(or less) via PSN/xbox live and $3 (or less) on iOS. I will get it in the new year when its available for about the $40 its worth....

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
Oh shit, he used Heart Of Darkness, THE Heart Of Darkness as an inspiration to make Origins ?

You are telling me his mind actually went on from this:

one of the most terrifying games from my childhood, to make THIS ?

These are polar opposites when it comes to setting and mood, why the fuck haven't I bought this yet ?

He doesn't like Mario ? There's another surprise. It comes to personal preference but still a surprise. At least he uses arguments as to why he doesn't prefer it.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
mjc0961 said:
Problem is, you still need to have good gameplay, otherwise people aren't going to want to suffer through your game for plot. Like Beyond Good And Evil... I tried the demo on XBLA, and the controls were so bad that I couldn't even finish that. First of all, the camera left and right controls are reversed and there's no way to change them back to normal. The button mapping makes no sense either. It reminded me of some of those crappy, clunky early 3D games you would see on the PS1.
Interesting. There's an option to change the camera controls in the settings menu, just went and checked it. As for the button configuration, I never had an issue with it, and I'm fincky about my controls. Different strokes, I guess.

Semudara

Oct 6, 2010
martintox said:
I liked Sonic better anyways.

Plus, the last good Mario game in my opinion was Sunshine. Galaxy was just, meh.
Ah, you haven't played Super Mario 3D Land! I think you would agree that it's a return to form.

Which ties into the actual topic: Everyone has different tastes, as Michel himself points out here. He doesn't dislike the Mario series-- he KNOWS it's actually pretty great-- it's just not his cup of tea. And he makes solid points. If I have one complaint against Super Mario 3D Land, it's that the lack of a story feels more like an editorial mandate than a natural part of the game. I keep hoping for a little more of a narrative, but it doesn't happen. Ironically, the Super Mario Galaxy games had the same problem!!

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Fair do's, Mario and I haven't agreed very much since the Gameboy Era...
Sonic and I parted ways with the death of the Dreamcast... We've only just started peace negotiations again...

Rayman kind of picked up where those two left off and I remember crying from frustration in the ...Pencil land or whatever it was themed around erasers, pencils and art... when I got there I just used to break down. Otherwise Rayman and Crash Bandicoot was what kept me interested in the platformer, it's when it started that dangerous 3D game - Bullshit story - abusive substance that big brother Sonic was self destructing over, that Rayman lost his charm.

But sorry Dude, if Origins is good I'll pick it up later down the line for now, Ubisoft will stay in the naughty chair, if I could pay you for it without paying them that'd be nice.

dessertmonkeyjk

Nov 5, 2010
I salute you sir for the gaul of saying that in the face of Nintendo fanboys around the world. Still, I don't mind it that much as a portable game. You really only need 2 buttons for it mostly.

FaceFaceFace

Nov 18, 2009
I love Mario games, and from what I've seen of Rayman Origins, I'm really excited to pick it up. It's this kind of attitude that makes me want to play both; if he was in love with Mario his games would be weak imitations of them rather than a nice complement.

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
He's allowed his opinion.
I am, however, also allowed an opinion, and that opinion is that Beyond Good And Evil was a boring tedious chore to play that I couldn't make it through more than a few hours of before wanting to projectile vomit.

Rayman was good tho.

Jarlaxl

Oct 14, 2010
I love how so many people are sitting here stroking their beards and saying "hmm, well, yes, the man has his opinion, we shall let him be." Because, you know, that's constructive.

Anywho, Mario and Ancel's creations are like New York Thin-Crust and Chicago Deep-Dish Pizza: both fantastic, but for very different reasons, and truth be told rather incomparable (despite both being bracketed as platformers or pizzas).

I never really found the worlds Mario inhabited terribly compelling, but the game play is always and consistently top-notch, which makes for a great experience. You can't NOT have the world of Goombas, Pipes, Koopas, etc., but, outside of brand identification, the game wouldn't be dramatically different if it were a man in space jumping on moon trees to save his co-pilot from a giant termite. In short, the visual elements of Mario's world are relegated to the status of iconic, which is fine, but places damn near 100% of the game's emphasis solely on game play.

Ancel's products, on the other hand, weave game play in with all of the other elements of the game: music, visuals, aesthetic, story, delivery, etc. It is a more "total" experience, in a sense: whereas a Mario game's strength lies in how the game plays, Rayman and BG&E rely on everything working, arguable in concert. Now, Ancel's games don't always show the same level of tightness in play mechanics a Mario game will, but you are inherently getting a totally different experience from Rayman than Mario. It's just as much about the music and the monsters in Rayman as it is the platforming.

Again, both hold very special places in my heart, just for different reasons. I can understand Ancel finding Mario unappealing, because he sees (and makes) games in a very different manner than Mario games are made.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Jarlaxl said:
I love how so many people are sitting here stroking their beards and saying "hmm, well, yes, the man has his opinion, we shall let him be." Because, you know, that's constructive.
Yeah, like what's the alternative, murdering him in his sleep?

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
I can see a bit of heart of darkness in rayman, especially in the way of all the spike traps, and death animations.

I understand where he is coming from, but I am a fan of all the games that were mentioned! Mario and his personal fav's list.

Heart of Darness was truely awesome though!

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
BX3 said:
Somewhere Miyamoto is cutting himself.

Still, it's not like he doesn't have a point. Mario has f--k all in the way of narrative. I mean, yeah yeah, I know, gameplay > plot, but for those that would like some tasty miracle whip on their turkey sandwich that is gaming, the original Mario's can be pretty dry. As for his complaints on the games physics and not being able to punch people, I don't get why those are downsides, but such is life.
'

Ya know I have played almost all of the big Mario releases. You know what I thought when I played Super Mario Galaxy the first time? Something along the lines of "It seems like they tried to add a story for the first time".
The Mario RPG games have stories to some point, but other than that Mario is a stranger to story it seems.

OT: It's odd how he thought he had to be so gentle about this. He said it wasn't his kind of game, but saw that it could work for someone else. If he had said that Mario sucks he would get a whole lot of attention. I guess diehard Mario fans that are less mature than me will still explode in anger over this though...

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Grey Carter said:
Jarlaxl said:
Yeah, like what's the alternative, murdering him in his sleep?
Since he bothered to defend his position, people can offer counter-points or something.

Not that it would matter much, since it's not like the guy is here to defend his points further.

Jezzy54

Oct 19, 2008
I'm not all that into Mario either. Anyway, Ancel's being polite about it, so nothing wrong with any of that.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
So he doesn't like Mario. Why is this important? I don't like sports games, will someone write an article about me?