Rayman Leaked as Super Smash Bros. 4 DLC Character? - Update: Fake

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Cool, more love for Rayman means he becomes more popular which results in (likely) more Origins and Legends games, which is a definite OH GAWD YUSH from me.

Gizen

Nov 17, 2009
I actually was willing to believe this 100%, and you want to know the reason why?

There are Rayman associated trophies in the game. Specifically, I've got a trophy of Globox. Considering Rayman is not owned by Nintendo, nor is it owned by or associated with any of the other 3 guest characters or their parent companies (Sonic/Sega, Mega Man/Capcom, Pac Man/Bandai-Namco), from the moment I first obtained that trophy, all I could think of is 'why is this here?' As far as I'm aware, I THINK it's the only trophy/ies in the game to be like that. So if there was Rayman DLC coming, I would not be surprised in the absolute slightest.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Gizen said:
I actually was willing to believe this 100%, and you want to know the reason why?

There are Rayman associated trophies in the game. Specifically, I've got a trophy of Globox. Considering Rayman is not owned by Nintendo, nor is it owned by or associated with any of the other 3 guest characters or their parent companies (Sonic/Sega, Mega Man/Capcom, Pac Man/Bandai-Namco), from the moment I first obtained that trophy, all I could think of is 'why is this here?' As far as I'm aware, I THINK it's the only trophy/ies in the game to be like that. So if there was Rayman DLC coming, I would not be surprised in the absolute slightest.
I'm pretty sure there is also a trophy of Rayman himself.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
Bindal said:
Gizen said:

I'm pretty sure there is also a trophy of Rayman himself.
If that's not enough, The Rayman trophy was built from the ground up prior to the game's release. They didn't take any models of Rayman from Legends but instead by choice made an entirely new one for a simple trophy, which was pretty cool of them I guess.

So it's not much of a stretch for people to have assumed he could have been a a character.......... could have..........

*cries while starring at trophy of Wonder Red*

OT: And so ends The Rayman Scare of 2015.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
VanQ said:
Wow, that's a lot of work for a hoax. Gotta give him credit though, the video looked pretty convincing. Guy deserves a medal. And a slap on the ass for getting my hopes up.

Where the fuck is Rayman 4, Ubisoft? Murphy promised me a Rayman 4 in Rayman 3, damnit! And you left the ending open with Andy coming back! This is worse than the Halo 2 cliffhanger at this point.
Have you played Rayman Origins yet? It's one of the best platformers to come out in a while.

Link_to_Future

Good Dog. Best Friend.
Nov 19, 2009
This has been interesting enough. The video goes to show just how far someone will go for basically nothing.

But yeah, 4chan and reddit huh? :p

It already seemed dubious to me though, especially after Sakurai specifically said that there would be no paid dlc [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138698-Super-Smash-Bros-4-Doesnt-Have-Any-Paid-DLC-Planned] for the game and singled out the amount of effort it would take in making a single fighter as a part of that decision. That might have been a nice detail to mention especially since it's been covered on this site before. ^_^

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
When you start using reddit and 4chan as 'sources', you start losing cred.

Please, remove this story and start acting like The Escapist of old.

The one that acted more like the AP instead of FN.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
First the blatantly misleading Anita Sarkeesian in Towerfall article and now reporting an article that uses 4chan and reddit as it's sources?

Honestly, why is this person a news reporter?

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
GUYS GUYS GUYS
My uncle who works at Nintendo said that not only is this real and all the people who say otherwise are WRONG and STUPID, but there are even MORE DLC Characters, including one you might recognize!
Now, I put it in spoilers, just in case.

https://36.media.tumblr.com/6f37827bf35d2b570fbefbf7eb10b888/tumblr_njtnr5OOOl1r9c1mbo1_540.jpg

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Yeah, no.

Sadly, It's been proven fake [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaoB7lnOiXM].

I would have loved for it to actually have happened though. I didn't get the newest Rayman game, but I would've bought Rayman as a DLC character for Smash.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Called it being fake for one reason only.

Rayman Amiibo. It would look godawful if they made one.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Objectable said:
GUYS GUYS GUYS
My uncle who works at Nintendo said that not only is this real and all the people who say otherwise are WRONG and STUPID, but there are even MORE DLC Characters, including one you might recognize!

https://36.media.tumblr.com/6f37827bf35d2b570fbefbf7eb10b888/tumblr_njtnr5OOOl1r9c1mbo1_540.jpg
Nuh uh, I met Shigeru Miyamoto and he said I was the best Mario player ever and that I'm right. And then we went to Disney Land together.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Eric the Orange said:
Objectable said:
GUYS GUYS GUYS

Nuh uh, I met Shigeru Miyamoto and he said I was the best Mario player ever and that I'm right. And then we went to Disney Land together.
Actually, to get back on topic, I met up with Miyamoto after your Disney trip. He squeezed my butt, winked at met and told me I was actually going to be the next announced Smash character. The even bigger news is that he told me it would actually be as DLC for Smash Melee and not Smash for the Wii U. Sadly he couldn't say yet if I was going to get my own Amibo figure.

Source: Your uncle's mother's sister's dog's blog.

Garlador

Mar 7, 2007
StriderShinryu said:
Eric the Orange said:
Objectable said:
GUYS GUYS GUYS

Actually, to get back on topic, I met up with Miyamoto after your Disney trip. He squeezed my butt, winked at met and told me I was actually going to be the next announced Smash character. The even bigger news is that he told me it would actually be as DLC for Smash Melee and not Smash for the Wii U. Sadly he couldn't say yet if I was going to get my own Amibo figure.

Source: Your uncle's mother's sister's dog's blog.
And yet you ARE in Smash Bros for Wii U.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Brian Tams said:
Consider. The. Source.

Holy balls, its only something that's taught in journalism 101.
StriderShinryu said:
First the blatantly misleading Anita Sarkeesian in Towerfall article and now reporting an article that uses 4chan and reddit as it's sources?

Honestly, why is this person a news reporter?
Slayer4472 said:
Source: 4chan via Reddit
Oh come on, that's obviously bullshit. You can do better than this, Escapist.
Look, I understand that 4chan is very, very hit and miss when it comes to credible information, but considering it was the source for the entire character roster leak [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=878858] including Duck Hunt Dog that turned out to be 100% true, combined with how convincing the video was, I decided to run the story as a rumor. Oftentimes, anonymous outlets like 4chan and reddit are the best ways for devs or others with insider info to "spill" that info.

Yes, I was fooled this time, but I still do not deny that this story is "newsworthy".

I'm sorry it didn't live up to your impeccable standards. Have a nice day.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
This one was kinda obvious despite the guys huge effort (really nice). But you people dismiss 4chan to freaking fast. You have no idea how many things have been leaked first on 4chan only for someone to post it on reddit or neogaf and them taking the credit.
Consdering the way the site works, it's pretty much the perfect place to leak information to. For example, Brawl's whole roaster, including Snake leaked on /v/ before anywhere else. Same goes for Sm4ash, including Duck Hunt Duo. The Palutena leak was there as well. Remember the 3DS screenshots of it.
Hell, I remember reading how a guy wrote that Nintendo would skip e3 long before Nintendo officially announced it.

Seems like a Nintendo employee is wasting his time on /v/ rather than working.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Objectable said:
VanQ said:
Wow, that's a lot of work for a hoax. Gotta give him credit though, the video looked pretty convincing. Guy deserves a medal. And a slap on the ass for getting my hopes up.

Where the fuck is Rayman 4, Ubisoft? Murphy promised me a Rayman 4 in Rayman 3, damnit! And you left the ending open with Andy coming back! This is worse than the Halo 2 cliffhanger at this point.
Have you played Rayman Origins yet? It's one of the best platformers to come out in a while.
Yes, but I'm still waiting for the next 3D Rayman platformer. I loved that Rayman went back to its roots for a bit but I'd love a new 3D Rayman.