Razer Unsheathes the Blade

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
$2800?

That's hilarious.

I mean, seriously? If you have the money to buy this, great for you, but, damn, there are so many better ways to spend your money.

Mausthemighty

Aug 3, 2011
I'm all for the promotion of PC-gaming, but come on 2800 dollars for a laptop is way too expensive. I've got a laptop from Acer for ?550 which plays most games fluidly on high settings. I must admit, the gaming-laptop looks really cool, but for real gamers the outside isn't the most important, I think. It's more about good upgradability and good performance, for a price that's not too way out there.

And furthermore: for $2800 you can get a truckload of games! Why spend it all on a laptop that will be outdated in about 3 or 4 years?

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Sevre said:
Has anyone else noticed that it's just a Dell XPS in disguise?
I'll be buying a Dell XPS at the end of September to replace my broken laptop, with top-line graphics and extra RAM as bonus features, since I need it for film-making and game development tools as well as playing up-to-date games (my future career depends on those graphical capabilities :p). It currently stands to cost me £804.99, which in US terms would be around $1316.

Yeah, I reckon I'll stick with the laptop I'll soon be getting. Which will cost a lot less yet be almost as advanced hardware-wise as the one these guys are trying to sell/rip us off with...

UnderCoverGuest

May 24, 2010
Robomega said:
UnderCoverGuest said:
Uh, it's not hardware that's making people say "PC gaming is dead", it's the quality of the games. Or maybe I'm missing something [...]
Actually, I think it's price tags like this one's $2800 figure. I think I'll blow $300 on a 3G Vita to get my portable gaming fix, thanks.

The biggest stigma that hurts PC gaming is the price associated with it, and this thing just makes it look even worse than it actually is. If anything this hurts PC gaming more than helps it.
While that's absolutely true, keep in mind that PC Gaming does already have an active community--a community that is often being disappointed by shallow, poorly ported games, restrictions such as DRM. The system on which one plays video games is a means to an end. If someone wants the kind of experience that the PC is capable of providing, then they ought be willing to spend the money necessary to purchase that awesome gaming PC.

Err, not that laptop that this topic is named for though. Gaming laptops are way too expensive, I'll agree. I have a desktop though, so it was about a thousand bucks cheaper.

Anywho, quality demands monetary quantity! People aren't going to even consider buying that thousand dollar computer unless they know that the end result will be great games, high entertainment, and sweet visual presentation--right now, because of the quality of many games being ported to the computer, they might as well just have the lesser experience on a console and save $700.

Something to remember as well, is that the Gaming PC isn't just for playing games. The PC is still very much an operating platform that lets you do anything computer-based. When you buy a PS3 or XBOX 360, you're playing only for the ability to play games (and watch movies and chat I guess, but that's it). So if all you do on your gaming computer is play games raw (no mods or nothin'), then you've paid a lot of money for a service that you only partly use.

When I got my gaming computer, the first thing I did was take some classes for 3DsMax, Maya, Photoshop, Microsoft Suite and a bundle of other similar programs. This way, I'm using the awesome power of a gaming computer for non-gaming (though with mods, it can be connected with gaming!) means. Speaking of mods though, there's another reason. You're paying more for that computer, but you're getting a library's wealth of modifications, tools and addons that are much easier to integrate with games on a PC than they are for the consoles.

Anywho, sorry for the huge reply, guess my real point can be summed up to, "Yes, computer gaming is expensive for the hardware alone, and it does put some people off PC Gaming. But remember:
a) Those people may not want the complexity that comes with PC gaming anyway
b) Those people may not want to pay for the quality that comes with PC gaming
c) Those people may simply want a fun digital gaming experience that a console provides, and not have a need for the advanced functionality of a gaming computer."

(Waaaay too long post, sorry bout' that. I'm not trying to argue the point either, you're right--however there are a lot more benefits attached to that $1000 price tag than there are with that $300 video game console).

D-Pad

Jul 15, 2011
With that comic, no further replies are necessasary.

It has single-handedly described the opinion of everyone on this tread.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
EverythingIncredible said:
If it is a gaming laptop then why did they go for an i7 and not an i5?

i7 is not for gaming.
Really? Why not? I got this laptop solely for the i7.

shogunvitto

Feb 9, 2011
I would suggest these gaming laptop to instead allow consumers to upgrade and customize it however they want like a desktop. That would be refreshing to the industry rather than getting charge a butt load of cash and stuck with it forever.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Nouw said:
If it is a gaming laptop then why did they go for an i7 and not an i5?

i7 is not for gaming.
Really? Why not? I got this laptop solely for the i7.
Because it's overkill and comes with expensive features that don't really benefit gaming at all.
Aaaah understood. No big loss as the laptop I bought was insanely cheap for the i7 but unfortunately, the graphics card isn't as nearly as good.

targren

May 13, 2009
Even if that thing DIDN'T cost 3x what I could get a decent gaming desktop for, I wouldn't trust it further than I could throw it underwater. Razer seems to be having some pretty horrible build-quality issues lately. It's bad enough when a $60 controller (Onza TE) shits out after a month, I'll be damned if I'm going to blow three weeks' pay on an underpowered laptop to do the same thing.