Razer Unsheathes the Blade

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
When do we see the Switchblade? That actually looked somewhat cool. I was hoping todays announcement was about that, not some overpriced laptop.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Kakashi on crack said:
ph0b0s123 said:
When you think of it, you get more bang-for-your-buck with a run of the mill PC than you get with a consol since, you know, the PC gets advanced apps that could never work on a console, access to online flash games for free, the ability to mod games, etc.

Not trying to be a PC elitest here, but I see consoles as being the cheap-but-effective enough side of technology, with PCs being the more expensive with more features side of tech. Arguing specs will get you no where with consoles since a console is limited to just that machine and future versions released by the company while you can customize a PC until it's a YT-2300 freighter with advanced ion cannons :p
I really don't know on that one. Consoles have games that are programmed for their exact hardware and are optimised heavily, whereas PC's seem to be getting more ports, so the optimisation is not done as well. So it may well be that consoles actually are more bang per dollar spent on them.

The PC getting stuff that won't work on a console is, I believe starting to get rarer. They have titles that are unique but due to low interest from the console market or can't be done on a controller. I can't think of many recent titles that required performance that consoles are not capable of, as happened when Farcry and Crysis were first released.

I have always seen the PC and console dynamic as being very analogous normal road car, super car dynamic. Normal road cars are like consoles, pretty ubiquitous and get you from a to b cheaply and without trouble. Sports cars like Ferraris and Lamborghini's are like PC's and are niche vehicles and cost a lot more. Normal cars like consoles things you get when you are on a budget and just want something that is good enough to do the job. Super cars are what you get to guarantee having the best performance.

I not going to say that sport cars are 'best', as 'best' is subjective and depends on your criteria, like their fuel economy is not great.

Sports cars are limited in that they are hamstrung from showing off their better performance due to having to stick to the same speed limit as normal cars.Also technical advances made in the sports car market are used to make normal cars better.

The difference is that even though sports cars are a niche market, manufacturers keep building them and pushing the envelope, supporting them. The same is not true for PC's. Also obviously PC's are not as sexy as sports cars, not gona try and argue that one for a second.

"while you can customize a PC until it's a YT-2300 freighter with advanced ion cannons"

Not really a PC anymore, but a space ship with a PC in it, just saying....

Ziadaine_v1legacy

Flamboyant Homosexual
Apr 11, 2009
Ill admit it's a really cool design and structure, but that pricetag is just an immense turnoff, and only the US can get it (according to their site last night).

If I had that money I might consider it because if the design structure and what not, but for now my Desktop Rig still pumps out more for less.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
when the Razer Blade goes on sale later this year it will cost a whopping $2799.99. Cha-CHING!
And that's one of the many reasons why PC gaming is... "Dead" isn't the right word...
Comatose?
Zombified?
On Life support?
Crippled and senile?
In a persistent vegetative state?
I think the last one works.

D-Pad

Jul 15, 2011
Anjel said:
Sevre said:
Has anyone else noticed that it's just a Dell XPS in disguise?
I can get in trouble for just saying 'this'... but... ^this.

I was thinking that too.

Funny thing is the Alienware Line (also by Dell) has more power, and is Cheaper than this Razor crap. I had my eye on the 17" Alienware model (which has the same amount of power for a cheaper price), and this has done nothing in terms of swaying my purchase. Way to fail, marketing department.

Not to mention the Asus, Quasimo, and other gaming 'Tops by other companies, all with more power without absurd pricing.

Ultimately, my response is along the lines of HA HA, OH WOW.

EDIT: Also, for those saying that Alienware is just as overpriced, it really isn't especially when you take all of their software optimizations and additions into account. Last time I checked, this Razer computer didn't have anything like that.

TheCommie12

Feb 25, 2011
It looks like a mac pro with a windows interface and a gimkicy mouse thing. Also where the hell is the DVD drive?!?!?

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
Pretty much a MacBook Pro, but made of plastic, smaller screen resolution, half the disk space, and no DVD reader. It also costs $100 more. Ouch.

R4N

Aug 27, 2011
*Looks at touch screen mouse, looks at shell, looks at price tag...*

I never asked for this.

(LK)

Mar 4, 2010
Aww I knew this big announcement was going to fall short of all they fuss they made. I'm still disappointed, though.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
Wait - wasn't one of the reasons "PC Gaming is dying" the cost of hardware? So... this helps, how?

(Besides, PC gaming is not dying.)

Although one has to admit, the ad campaign was *effective*, on the "gaining attention" front, that is.

Dear hardware creators, I paid 1000? for my current system, ONE AND A HALF YEARS AGO. I can play nearly every current game on maximum details with 80+ fps (Space Marine, for example). Pre-built systems for twice that price? I don't think so.

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
nyeeeeh I like mine better and here's why.

HARDWARE: I currently have a laptop that is either equally good or superior on all points.

PORTABILITY: it may be light but in my experience 17 inch is hardly portable. Unless by portable you mean being able to move from one table to the other in the same house. But even than you'll need to clear a surprisingly big area on the table to make room for it. So sooner or later it will just end up on one spot permanently as if it were a design desktop.
If you want to take your laptop over to friends or bring it back and forth from college or similar things, 15 inch is the way to go.

THE SWITCHBLADE THINGY: do gaming pc's (and mouses) really need all these gizmos? I get it, they look impressive and make you feel like you are operating a fighter jet. But (again, in MY experience) they also make things harder than they need to be, thereby cancelling out any positive effects they may have had on your in-game performance. Even in gaming less is more.

CONCLUSION: if this laptop and my current one had the same price, I'd probably still pick my current one. But here's the kicker: they don't have the same price, mine cost about half.

For those wondering: mine's the asus G53JW-1A and the reason I got a gaming laptop and not a gaming desktop is because I need to take it back and forth to my dorm every week.

Pandaman1911

Fuzzy Cuddle Beast
Jan 3, 2011
Can somebody give me a glass of water so I can spit half of it out in shock when I read that they want me to pay THREE FUCKIN' GRAND FOR THIS SHIT?!

I already use a laptop for gaming. Yes, there, I'll say it, I'm a "noob" or whatever you want to call me, but hey, you know what? It works, and I can run pretty much all my games in their native resolution, and all I have to turn off is VSync and anisotropic filtering. So yeah, thanks guys, but I'll stick with my laptop, and keep the three grand for, oh I don't know, food or something.

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
Another overpriced laptop "for gaming". Because yeah, I love to play my high end games on a laptop on the bus instead of in my comfy chair at a computer desk where I can't be annoyed.

Freaking idiots.

If someone wants to make a true PC gaming device, it's simple - run all current games at 30-60 FPS and include 1 TB of storage for under 400 bucks. If you can do that, then you've made a PC device that price competitive with the consoles and offers all the benefits of having a PC (web browser, custom applications, office utilities, etc).

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
martin said:
I'm buying the ASUS G73JW-A1
I got an asus g53jw-1a not too long ago, which I assume is just the 15 inch version of what you are getting. But there are a few important things which weren't mentioned anywhere you may want to know.

Pros:
- came with a free backpack and gaming mouse.
- has a quickstart button that lets you access a browser, your images, antivirus,... without fully starting windows.

cons:
- microphone isn't that good, people often don't understand me.
- charger connects on the right so the cable is often in the way of the mouse. Unless you sit really close to the electric socket so the cable has some leeway.

I didn't know any of that until I actually had it so I figured I'd let you know so you can make a better informed decision.

Camarilla

Jul 17, 2008
EDIT: Well, that'll teach me to get confused and post things before thinking. Carry on.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Why are hardware vendors always this stupid? The problem is the 555M GPU. It is slow.

It's the sort of GPU you'd pair with an old core2quad or a modern core i3, but not a core i7. Now it will only slow the rest down.

There exists a fast mobile GPU and that's the GTX485M. For the money they ask for that laptop, nothing less is justified.
This is crap.