Re-Bat

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Re-Bat

MovieBob lists off a few ways Warner Bros could relaunch the next Batman.

Read Full Article

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Honestly, I would love to see something done with Robin in his own movie.. and I'm not even a huge fan of the character. I think it could be the perfect way to keep the "series" alive (and you know this is the first thing on Warner Bros mind) but to partially battle the guaranteed fatigue of seeing yet another Batman movie come out 2 years from now (even if it is well done and doesn't feel like a cash grab reboot). I also think there could be some interesting stories to tell about a Robin character that would more organically distance a new Gotham city from the almost overly dark and gritty one Nolan presented.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
I suspect the next movie, if there is one, will be much more cartoonish and camp. Another gritty realist Batman is going have climb over the hurdle of today's shootings, in way that a Jon Favreau version would not have to.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
I wonder what they're going to do with the characters who didn't have the definitive ending. Everyone who's seen the movie knows what I'm talking about, so I wonder if the studio thinks they could carry a movie by themselves

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
They can continue with the next movie without major changes to tone. Yes they will have a new actor as Batman, doesnt mean they need a reboot and another retelling of the story of how Bruce became the Bat. Its not needed. I would like a darker Riddler in the next one.

cyvaris

May 10, 2011
Am I the only one who thinks that if they rush a Batman Reboot that it could potentially be the death of the Big Blockbuster Superhero Movie(!!). Audiences really liked this series, but what happens when the cash grab reboot happens?

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
I think its far more likely that people want a reboot of some sort, maybe not the full on reboot, but some stand alone movies, much like the animated ones, which figured out long ago that you did not need to keep retelling the origin over and over and over, or remaking the character 15 times.

Problem i have with robin, the boy wonder is like 13 14 year old boy, hollywood seems to be rather reluctant to put young kids in in serious type movies, kick ass proved t can be done and done really well, but if we have to have a robin give us the young dick grayson robin that makes sense in the movies, then you can move onto nightwing down the road as robin grows up, ala harry potter, along the way you got tons of material to explore between the two and how they have their ups and downs over the years.

DC if they want a justice league should be setting up characters, especially wonder woman which seems a rather tricky thing to do, mold her after the justice league wonder woman a strong, smart woman that is not afraid to stand against anyone even superman, figure out a good "screen" costume and get it done.

martian manhunter, flash etc, of the series the two weakest characters, they had their moments, but especially MM seemed he was more a third wheel most of the time rather than a help, they would need some serious love to get them off the ground.

Sun Flash

Fus Roh Dizzle
Apr 15, 2009
By the time I got to the bottom of page one, I was ready to jump into the comments with my ideas of a Robin film or No more reboots for ten years (ish) and just jumping into the Justice League collaboration. Then Bob preemptively stole my ideas. Bah.

I'd say great minds think alike, but I also really wanted a live action Dragonball film and well, it would end up sounding like an insult.

But yeah, so.

Robin - Agreed there. While I realise the next iteration of comic book movies are going to be lighter in tone, I quite liked the take on Robin that Arkham City touched upon, it brought him more up to date and lost the 'little boy in tights' weirdness. Plus being older gives Hollywood more stuff to do with him. Hit Girl was used for comic effect and even she kicked up a stink with moral guardians. If people were to make a kid do that 'seriously', people would flip their shit.
Not too keen on him having a skin head, though. Makes him look a bit too thug as opposed to the hero he's supposed to be.

No reboot/re imagining/whatever - Just as evidence, my little sister, who is 14 and everything the internet would describe as 'wrong with kids these days' despises fantasy films in general, but still knows Batman's origin story inside out.

It's the same for Superman. I'll still go see that film when it comes out but he doesn't need it. All Warner Bros. need are a Wonder Woman and Flash movie to explain them to the audience.
Also, I think they could get away with using a Green Latern (that isn't Ryan Renolds) without another movie.

Also; I don't care if I'm too old. I really want a Teen Titans movie. Or just more Raven. I don't care which.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
MovieBob said:
Re-Bat

MovieBob lists off a few ways Warner Bros could relaunch the next Batman.

Read Full Article
To borrow from Harvey Dent slightly, "You either die a hero, or you live long enough to become a parody."

You can only keep a narrative running for so long before it absolutely must choose to either a) reboot or b) get just plain ridiculously outlandish to keep up the pace and interest. The problem is that a reboot only delays option B, and enough reboots will actually cause it.

Everything wears out or dies eventually. How many parts and pieces can I replace on a car before it effectively becomes a completely different car? How many organs can I transplant to stay alive before I'm actually just a completely different, Frankensteiny creature?

Batman doesn't need a reboot. He needs a revival. And for that, he has to go away for awhile first.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
I'll just go ahead and say it, I don't think a Silver Age Batman could possibly work in this day and age. You might sneer at the assertion that it's not 'dark' enough, but I really think this is one of those times when such a statement is valid. Silver Age Batman is just too... silly. That doesn't mean a new version would have to be as dark and super-serious as Nolan and Miller's interpretations. That doesn't mean you have to exclude Robin. But I do think the character of Batman has irreversibly evolved since those days (in my opinion for the better), and now, if your audience is laughing because Batman has just pulled out the Bat-Shark repellent, you're doing it wrong.

Now, a reboot of Batman looking like Rocksteady's vision from the Arkham games, or the latter seasons of the animated series; yes, take my money. That in my opinion would be the perfect blend of the darkness of Nolan's interpretation with the comic book origins of the character.

Warner Brothers, listen up! Get Rocksteady to make a Batman movie. First villain: Scarecrow. Get on it!

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
I am all for a Robin movie...as long as their choice for Robin isn't Jason Todd.

Seriously, screw Jason Todd.

EDIT: Fixed mix-up with names.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
I don't really like Robin in most modern incarnations. I liked him fine in the animated series, but his purpose as "The Watson" doesn't work anymore, because Batman is not really much of a detective anymore. He's more about being a ninja bad-guy puncher than actual detective work, so he has no need of a Watson.
But, if they worked a new angle of the character and gave him some kind of thematic arc to mirror Batman, or perhaps even oppose (thematically, not literally; sort of making him a character who acts as the voice of reason to Batman's scarred psyche, or something similar), you could make him work. You'd need a better costume, though, because the bright yellow and green just screams "I'm a target" in a line of work that takes place mostly after dark.
Or perhaps took Batman back to real detective work and de-emphasized the action - but fuck that! Batman's all about punching bad guys!

But personally, I'd just rather Batman went away for a while. We've been flooded with Batman for years, to the point that he's become extremely boring and I'd like to drink some new blood.

SEE! See some new blood. That's what I meant.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
RJ Dalton said:
I don't really like Robin in most modern incarnations. I liked him fine in the animated series, but his purpose as "The Watson" doesn't work anymore, because Batman is not really much of a detective anymore. He's more about being a ninja bad-guy puncher than actual detective work, so he has no need of a Watson.
But, if they worked a new angle of the character and gave him some kind of thematic arc to mirror Batman, or perhaps even oppose (thematically, not literally; sort of making him a character who acts as the voice of reason to Batman's scarred psyche, or something similar), you could make him work. You'd need a better costume, though, because the bright yellow and green just screams "I'm a target" in a line of work that takes place mostly after dark.
Or perhaps took Batman back to real detective work and de-emphasized the action - but fuck that! Batman's all about punching bad guys!

But personally, I'd just rather Batman went away for a while. We've been flooded with Batman for years, to the point that he's become extremely boring and I'd like to drink some new blood.

SEE! See some new blood. That's what I meant.
What I wish for more than anything that I know won't ever happen is a movie with Dick Grayson and Damian Wayne as the duo. Their chemistry together could carry a movie I'm betting. Seriously, the dynamic between the two is better than Bruce and any Robin you care to name.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
My favorite Batman storyline of the past several years was the death of Bruce Wayne and Dick Grayson taking up the mantle of Batman.

I would love to see a movie about that. Dick Grayson's evolution from Robin to Nightwing to Batman himself. It's one of the few character evolutions in comics that actually happened that we were privy to every step of the way. Bucky as Captain America worked, but Bucky was dead years. Dick Grayson we saw grow up, become a leader, become his own man, evolve, mature, and forge his own path, so when he became Batman he was not Dick Grayson pretending to be Batman. He was BATMAN.

But I think Hollywood still has this odd, irrational fear of Robin cribbing on their "dark and gritty" streak.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
You have to figure, we are not looking at a 2014 reboot here guys, I'd say that the earliest we will see a Batman Reboot would be 2016. You have to remember that despite the enormous sucess of The Avengers, and WB's obvious desire to capitalize on that continuity formula that worked SO WELL.... Unlike what has happened with the Spiderman reboot, where they had to have a release by date X just to keep the title, WB owns all of DC's movie rights properties lock stock and barrel. We will probably see a superman film hit screens in 2014 or 2015 to try to correct the Green Lantern mistake, and actually allow the continuity to take off. Followed by the obligitory Bat then they will probably do The Flash, then reboot GL.... Followed by a Bat sequel then JL... At least, that is my guess.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
I 100% agree on the TV Show idea; in fact it's something I was thinking, myself. For one, the last time Batman was really good while also being somewhat true to his roots was the phenomenal 90's cartoon series. Something along the same vein, but live-action would make for a great show. Secondly, Batman just has too many good villains to confine to movies that come out, at best, once a year. With annual seasons, they could make a lot more room for different villains.

Then while it's airing, as Bob said, they could work on movies for the other heroes; and while I'm sure that they have their own slew of villains that could justify TV shows, let's face it, too few of them are popular enough that they'd need a television series to cover them all. So they'd work fine as movies to give an origin and get us associated while they work on weaving them all into the same universe; maybe even have a cameo or two in the Batman series to help tie them together (much like the cartoon series did a few cross-over episodes before the Justice League cartoon fired-up).

Roganzar

Winter is coming
Jun 13, 2009
The best way to go about a Justice League set-up, is to not do another Batman until the Justice League.
You've got Superman coming out next year, probably with Justice League firmly in the minds of Warner Bros. Then you do the Flash, then re-try Green Lantern, (these guys do good animated GL this can't be that hard), then on to Themescria for a Wonder Woman movie. Okay you've now set up four out of five of the core of the Justice League, (Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash and Batman are the core of the Justice League to me). During the set-up movies we hint at the presence of the Batman along with the building of the metaplot. This keeps things from seeming shoehorned in during the big JLA movie.
Then you go into some huge, building slowly across the movies, plot involving Darkseid, or someone of similar power level. During the "gather the troops" phase of the movie, toward the end of it really, is when we introduce this continuity's Batman. Doing his "World's Greatest Detective" shtick as the heroes are being lead in the wrong direction by the machinations of the villain. This forces the generally solitary Batman to work with the other heroes.
That's how I'd go about it anyway. We don't need to reintroduce Batman's story, everybody knows it.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
Interestingly enough, Charlie Jane Anders at Io9 pretty neat fan-made World's Finest trailer [http://io9.com/5926549/10-completely-terrible-ways-to-do-a-justice-league-movie]?), then a Trinity movie with Supes, Bats and Wonder Woman, and then a Justice League flick.

cerebus23 said:
Problem i have with robin, the boy wonder is like 13 14 year old boy, hollywood seems to be rather reluctant to put young kids in in serious type movies,
If they can make movies with a teenaged Spider-man, and teenaged X-Men, they can make movies with a teenaged Robin.